Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Important - how do you pronounce 'Live mode'

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Definitely "Live" as in alive!!! No other way, period! When playing, the game is live as in a sports match is live. ;)
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • Options
    OkayLazySimOkayLazySim Posts: 40 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Live Performance. Live on Stage. Live on Screen.

It never really occurred to me to say it in any other way until I saw a lot of youtubers say it the other way, and I absolutely hate it. Say what you want I'll forever call it this way and I'm glad I'm not the only one hehe
    Food Stall Activist Group
    For food stalls in each neighborhood and cool vendors who don't care for explosions
  • Options
    OkayLazySimOkayLazySim Posts: 40 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    also reminds me of the How I Met Your Mother Episode where people fight over Duck vs Rabbit, but of course that's an off-topic thing.
    Food Stall Activist Group
    For food stalls in each neighborhood and cool vendors who don't care for explosions
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    Live - as in 'live, laugh, love'
    I know Will Wright pronounces it like give.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    It's abundantly clear that the only correct way to pronounce it is live rhyming with give.

l2929g7gnozc.png

Since Sims 1, the developers meant the three modes as to build, to buy, and to live. The parallelism makes this obvious. Moreover, live pronounced like alive doesn't make sense as it's NOT a live TV broadcast...you can pause and fast forward...definitely not live like alive!

Live like alive isn't an alternative, it's just incorrect. :smile:
    Great evidence to prove everyone saying it like alive is wrong. Thankfully I found some patch notes that fixed this bug of people saying it wrong.

i-was-looking-over-old-patch-notes-for-ts4-and-the-debate-v0-h0m8bzffxrta1.jpg?s=83292b45c752f0bee2d15ab63d14588df85dbb8f
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited May 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Forget it.
    Post edited by MMX on
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited July 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Here's the box art for the Sims 1 console. I played it on PC first, at someone else's house, but when I actually bought it I had the Gamecube version. This is a Playstation one, but they had the same sleeve. It says "Control their lives" and "Get a life" rather than create, build, and live.
    6OsZtTQ.jpg
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited May 2023
    Live - as in 'alive'
    Never mind.
    Post edited by MMX on
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,333 EA Community Manager
    Live - as in 'alive'
    I don't think anyone is taking this thread super seriously.

It's going to come down to personal preference.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited May 2023
    both - this is the wrong answer
    Coming to you live (1) from LA, the tonight show.

I live (2) by the sea.

I missed the mode, in that case (1).
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Live - as in 'alive'
    "Is it live? Or is it Memorex?"

.... okay, I might be dating myself. :D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited June 2023
    Live as in Hive
    Mode as in Toad.

/laɪv//moʊd/
  • Options
    EnderGamer87EnderGamer87 Posts: 248 Member
    I have always said it as in Live, Laugh, Love. Never thought of it the other way.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    In "Build" mode, build is a verbal adjective (participle).
    In "Create a Sim" mode, create is a verb in an adjective phrase.

To maintain consistency, "Live" in "Live mode" must be a participle, and therefore must be pronounced in its verbal form, not its adjectival form.
  • Options
    Paurod2789Paurod2789 Posts: 15 Member
    Live as in alive because my thinking is that you go into action whenever you unpause the game. Although sometimes I do end up calling it live like in "let live" even though the previous option makes more sense to me.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,605 Member
    its like "live your life" mode not like "live concert" mode- big distinction