Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disk Installation?

DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
What happens if you install Sims 2 on a current day-ish desktop PC from disk?
A few years ago, someone said if you ring up customer service and ask nicely they give you the downloadable version of the whole suite of Sims 2. So I did that, and that is what I have on my launcher, which I've opened for the first time in a year, and is now the EA App.
However, the graphics are weird, namely the resolution only has 800 x 600. Even the base game of the disk has more options than that, pretty sure, especially if your computer has the capability - it used to be in synch with that.
There was probably a few other things ...
So I remember now too that someone on here back then, said there were new mods to make it work, which I got and I think it did, but I was annoyed I needed them and that there were more than one.

So I'm wondering what issues anyone had with installing by disk? Will it work? Any pointers? I suppose I'd have to totally uninstall first.

Because I still have those, but not the full suite like from the download. I'm only missing few, and I never really wanted Pets.

Would you happen to know if I can buy the download of the extra expansions I want separately and add them onto the disk installation? That is what I did with Sims 3 originally - mixture of disk and download.
I'll have to see about finding all my old cc ...

I remember you from university, I still have your story.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

You can't install like TS3 - with disks and downloads. It's Either Or.

New computers require new setting for the Computer to run TS2 - both the disks and the TS2UC

There are So many tutorials out there to help you set up the game. So many mods to help it run - I don't know where to start now but I'll link you to:

https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
    https://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212
    https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585
    https://modthesims.info/t/500523
    https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-increase-resolution-guide/
    https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-mods/

I hope it helps. :)
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    @Rflong7 aw, thanks! Fancy seeing you still around here. I hope you're well :) This place is like a ghost town. Couple of spinifexes tumbling along the street ... whooo... oooshhh ...
    btw for the first few years I had TS3 I had both disks and downloads, and some disks were TO download. Its easy. Disks, then buy or re-DL more from The Store/launcher. Otherwise no one with the disks would buy stuff from The Store.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Hi there! the above poster pretty much told you what the story is. Basically in a nutshell, sims 2 is an older game for older computers, so in order to fix the graphic problem (which is pretty much having one screen size plus texture memory), i used the tool the graphic rules maker, which pretty much tells the game your graphic card. To install it on Ultimate Collection, go to ultimate collection that is stored on your computer. If you do it by the discs, what helps me is using the graphic rules maker after installing every single ep/sp. also make sure you alter your texture memory to a near match of your texture memory for your graphics card.
    i have used either or method- but basically you can only use one either origin or discs. i still use my discs for the sims 2.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
    Thank you for your reply @Sunflowergal227 and advice. I've still got all my disks as well as the patches and some old saves, on a disk. I got the Origin Ultimate one because I never got around to getting the last few XP's, namely Vacation and Apartment Life. I never wanted Pets though, but you can't uninstall any of it in Ultimate. Thanks for your instructions and explanations. I'll be giving it all a go soon, especially since 3 is driving me bananas!
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited December 2022
    Note :

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection isn't compatible with physical disc installation.

Physical disc installation needs the update patches.
    https://simsvip.com/sims-games/patches/
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Thank you for your reply @Sunflowergal227 and advice. I've still got all my disks as well as the patches and some old saves, on a disk. I got the Origin Ultimate one because I never got around to getting the last few XP's, namely Vacation and Apartment Life. I never wanted Pets though, but you can't uninstall any of it in Ultimate. Thanks for your instructions and explanations. I'll be giving it all a go soon, especially since 3 is driving me bananas!

You're welcome! That's why what i did was before TS2 died down, in like 2018, i completed my entire sims 2 collection via the discs. Everytime i get a new computer long installation process, but at least i have all of the Eps/Sps. I like Bon Voyage because of the vacation worlds. And yeah, sims 3 is fun, but it's quite buggy. One time, origin lagged, and it crashed my entire computer! if you can find the discs of The missing Eps/Sps you want it is much easier that way. That's another thing i like about this game: you can just rely on the cds and not have to worry about any internet connection. Don't forget while installing there's a certain order TS2 needs to be installed in.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • Diane_thesims2girlDiane_thesims2girl Posts: 1 New Member
    I know I’m a little late to this, but in my experience, I have had no problems downloading sims 2 from disc, at least the base game, just follow the onscreen instructions and it should be fine. And after that I would just install expansions after that, but when I tried to do that it wouldn’t terminate download at the very end so the fix that, you need to install the ts2_update which you should be able to find pretty easily and replace the files it says to, I can’t remember which ones those are but after that the expansion packs work fine, I also haven’t patched my game and run it on windows 10 and haven’t had too many problems. Another reason to install it off disc is you have all the files on the disc that if some of your files become corrupted such as the objects.package (which happened to me upon installing expansion) you can just copy and replace the files onto your computer files. I personally just think the discs are a lot less work and more convenient.
    Type comment here
    I know I’m a little late to this, but in my experience, I have had no problems downloading sims 2 from disc, at least the base game, just follow the onscreen instructions and it should be fine. And after that I would just install expansions after that, but when I tried to do that it wouldn’t terminate download at the very end so the fix that, you need to install the ts2_update which you should be able to find pretty easily and replace the files it says to, I can’t remember which ones those are but after that the expansion packs work fine, I also haven’t patched my game and run it on windows 10 and haven’t had too many problems. Another reason to install it off disc is you have all the files on the disc that if some of your files become corrupted such as the objects.package (which happened to me upon installing expansion) you can just copy and replace the files onto your computer files. I personally just think the discs are a lot less work and more convenient.

There was a time, about a year before Sims 3 launch, could have been just after actually, anyway ... when the Sims 2 website "Exchange" was down/broken, and nobody could upload their stories and CC. Some of us discovered that if we uploaded from the base game only and no patches, that we could still upload, and did. That went on for several months. Its been a long time since I've installed Sims 2 from disc and haven't done it on my current computer or on Windows 10 before. So I can't say what the problem with the 'termination' is. It can't be a downloading thing because you used to be able to install without being connected to the internet. I remember it told me to insert the second disk though, and it would wait for me to do that and click on the button for it to resume and then it would complete. The game loaded and played without the patch, but there were just a few silly glitches, which we just played/worked around or even incorporated into our story as a thing.

Yeah the base game has 2 disks and some of the expansions do too. So the termination thing could be about that you might not have the second disk and that's what it's waiting for, and aborts being without it.