Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could a computer smart person please help me

mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
edited November 2022 in Off Topic Chat
Hi there, first off very sorry, no idea where to post this as its not actually sim related although it is important so I can play sims ;)

I have a six year old laptop that started giving me blue screens and shutting down, sometimes within minutes of each other. So I saved all I could to an external hard drive and factory reset it. It worked great for a while and then it started doing it again. I basically gave up then and put it aside to take into Dell for a check up once I have enough money saved up. However I have a friend that knows a little more than me about computers, she had a look and said that my c drive is perfect so is my display driver. It seems the issue is my wifi router (I think that is what its called) I did not think something like wifi issues could give such a big amount of blue screens, but she proved it to me. She used one of her internet cables and connected to the internet via that and my laptop was fine, but as soon as she disconnected the cable and it went on to wifi then the blue screen and auto shutdown happened. I bought myself a cable now too, and is running it all the way from my modem (bought a 10 meter cable) and so far no blue screens, I still only have the factory reset laptop, have not added anything yet. Do you think it will be safe to load my sims back on and use the laptop or might I damage it for good and then I will have to replace it, which could take up to a year :o I really miss my sims and interacting with you all, but I don't want to cause more damage by doing the wrong thing <3

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Blue screen pic below.
1VPlFVI.png
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Hi @mcrudd , does it work if you take it to another place besides your home, and connect to a different wifi network?
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hi @mcrudd , does it work if you take it to another place besides your home, and connect to a different wifi network?

Hi there @mightysprite It gives a blue screen on wifi only. I took it to my friend's house and it worked with her ethernet cable but not her wifi, as soon as you disconnect the cable and it switches to wifi the blue screens start shortly after. It is so weird, I am on it now with the cable and no issues at all. Usually by now I would have had three or more shutdowns and blue screens.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    That is very odd indeed. At least it works with the cable. I have no idea what could be causing it, hope you can get it looked at by someone professional.
  • MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 328 Member
    Hi @mcrudd, have you tried updating the driver for your wireless card? (that's the chip in your laptop where the wifi antenna is connected) The driver is the program that controls your wireless card, and if a driver is not working properly, it can cause blue screens. I see from your picture that you have an Alienware laptop, which is made by Dell. Go to Dell's website here https://www.dell.com/support/ and put in your laptop's service code. (It should be on a label on the bottom of the laptop.) It should show you a list of driver downloads for your computer. Look for a download for the wireless card driver. Be careful that you download the correct one. If you're not sure which download to use, I suggest letting Dell, or possibly your friend, do this. (Also, I'm sure you know this, but turn off your laptop before turning it upside down to read the label, I've almost made that mistake before.)
    @mightysprite yeah its a tricky one on me. Not sure if I should carry on as normal with the cable and play sims until I can take it in or rather just leave it be and be patient.

@MrPlumbob that was the first thing my friend did, we updated all the drivers, the alienware has a neat little program called supportassist that does that for you. Thanks so much for your advice, do you think I could use my laptop with the cable or should I rather not use it until Dell can look at it.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Hey @mcrudd , sorry to hear that!
    I believed it to be a defective software driver too, but apparently you have them all updated! 🤔

In that case the error could be caused by another incompatible/ corrupt file -OR a faulty wireless chipset, therefore it might be wise to get your laptop diagnosed by a pro technician anyway.

It is safe to play your game on the laptop with the cable connected to the Ethernet controller (it’s a separate port and has nothing to do with the WiFi chip) until the WiFi is sorted, ( or until the device blows up - that was a joke) just continue to back-up externally - and keep saving for that brand new machine! 😇

Good luck with it and I hope you’ll be able to happily sim again soon! 👍🏼
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hope that it will get sorted soon!
    @mcrudd , since you have support assist on your laptop, have you tried running diagnostics through support assist? Sometimes that will fix the problem, or at least tell you more information. If that doesn't work, then I do suggest taking it to Dell. As far as using your laptop with the cable, I believe it should be fine, but make sure you do keep everything backed up just in case if you decide to use it. Also, does the issue occur if you turn off wifi and do not use the cable, or does it blue screen only if it's connected? I hope this gets fixed for you soon. I recently had trouble with my computer as well, so I know how frustrating it can be.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Hi there, first off very sorry, no idea where to post this as its not actually sim related although it is important so I can play sims ;)

I have a six year old laptop that started giving me blue screens and shutting down, sometimes within minutes of each other. So I saved all I could to an external hard drive and factory reset it. It worked great for a while and then it started doing it again. I basically gave up then and put it aside to take into Dell for a check up once I have enough money saved up. However I have a friend that knows a little more than me about computers, she had a look and said that my c drive is perfect so is my display driver. It seems the issue is my wifi router (I think that is what its called) I did not think something like wifi issues could give such a big amount of blue screens, but she proved it to me. She used one of her internet cables and connected to the internet via that and my laptop was fine, but as soon as she disconnected the cable and it went on to wifi then the blue screen and auto shutdown happened. I bought myself a cable now too, and is running it all the way from my modem (bought a 10 meter cable) and so far no blue screens, I still only have the factory reset laptop, have not added anything yet. Do you think it will be safe to load my sims back on and use the laptop or might I damage it for good and then I will have to replace it, which could take up to a year :o I really miss my sims and interacting with you all, but I don't want to cause more damage by doing the wrong thing <3

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Blue screen pic below.
    1VPlFVI.png

The answer is right there in your screen info. Stop Code Critical Process Died is written at the bottom of your blue screen. If you research that it means Your C drive is corrupted with corrupted files. Try reinstalling Windows 10 or you have an incompatible program or driver installed. Best to reinstall Windows without keeping corrupted files.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Hi all, thanks so much for all your comments <3 I am sorry I am only replying now, but I was away from home to see my husband's sister. I did see all your lovely replies on my mobile phone though. Home now so I can reply properly.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Thanks so much for your advice, yes hubby and I spoke and I will use it with the cable until it dies a decent death one day, hopefully only in a year's time, we will however save up and take it to Dell for a TLC session, but it's a bit expensive, so will have to wait a wee while.

@SilentKitty thank you so much <3

@MrPlumbob Blue screen happens when there is no ethernet cable and it has to work through the wifi. When the ethernet cable is connected it runs smooth with no issues at all. Yeah me and hubby spoke and decided that instead of just having it gather dust until we can sent it in I will chance it and use it with the ethernet cable, but as soon as it pops up with blue screens of any sort then we will let it be until it can be serviced.

@Cinebar that is exactly what me and my son thought when we googled it and used that little code thingy to read up on the fault. But after several testing and with the help of my friend we saw that it was the wifi, its pretty weird. So what we did is call up the task manager to look at the processing happening. While the cable is connected the system processing runs fine a nice decent low percentage. As soon as you disconnect the cable and it switches to wifi then the system percentage runs in the high 90's so that it goes red and then just before it reaches 100 percent the blue screen pops up and it auto shutdown. We have no idea why it affects the system but it does, also if you try and connect to the internet via wifi then only certain websites work, some won't load at all, funnily enough the forums work, but for instance my gmail, or my local email here in New Zealand won't work. It completely puzzled us, but with the cable all is well, the taksmanager processing and accessing all websites.

Once again thanks all for your help. I am currently installing my sims and will chance it. But the first blue screen I get, I will let it go and wait patiently until I can take it in to be repaired ;)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Corrupted files can exist in the wifi connection program, too. If you want to solve it without reinstalling Windows you can run sfc /scannow in the elevated comman prompt and or the DISM if it doesn't find the corrupted files and repair them. Also, if you've had a recent or earlier update from Windows concerning Game Services this also can cause the blue screen of death regardless of any connection used to connect to internet. It has caused lots of problems that many would not consider being related to gaming services. But that's a different conversation about that annoying update.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited November 2022
    all sorted ;)
    Post edited by mcrudd on
    edited November 2022
    all sorted
    Post edited by mcrudd on
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    all sorted ;)

Great Stuff! 👍🏼
    all sorted

I repeat, great stuff! You got it double sorted! 👍🏼👍🏼 😅
    Happy Simmin’!
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Thanks so much <3 I contacted Dell to ask them how much it would cost to sent my laptop in for a service repair. They asked me for my tag number. Upon giving them the tag number they were very impressed that my laptop was still going :D but in the same breath they said they could not repair it as its parts has not been made for at least two years now. So I explained my dilemma about only being able to afford a new one in a year's time and what went wrong with this one, you know all the screens , freezes and auto starts. He then said it is a windows corruption or drivers missing error. He also told me to not install windows 11 even if the computer says it can, because he can see on his end its not compatible. So he sent me this biiiiiig email with instructions on how to use a usb to save windows 10 files and then to start up my computer and press f12 repeatedly until a menu came up then to select the usb drive and when asked where to do it I need to delete ALL partitions so I can get rid of the corrupt part of windows. I did that and although I had a tiny little shock because now I only have a huge c drive and not a small c drive and a decent d drive anymore. But so far so good. Been playing sims for almost two hours if not longer and no issues at all ;)
    So glad to hear that you got your computer working! Enjoy your Sims!
    MrPlumbob wrote: »
    So glad to hear that you got your computer working! Enjoy your Sims!

Thanks so much <3 I am super happy :) Happy simming to you too ;)