Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Saving a .world file with s3pe makes it impossible to open by CAW all of a sudden..

SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,143 Member
edited October 2022 in The Sims 3 World Builders
Short story:

I have found that all of a sudden simply opening a world file in s3pe, doing absolutely no changes, and then saving it with a different file name makes it unopenable by CAW. I don't get it..

Longer story:

Yesterday I was working with my world, adding water planes using this method (tutorial at modthesims). From earlier, I had already added three water levels to the world file with no problem, and just added the fourth yesterday. Things started to go wrong when I tried to add the fifth..

I followed the procedure excactly as I did just minutes before, found the cooordinates, generated the hex files, saved them, put them into the world file with s3pe (this worked just a few minutes ago...), then go to open the world in CAW to check how the water level looks and...

..boink...

...I get this:
YdJLqnZ.png
Basically it just says that "It couldn't load the file" ('Kunne ikke laste inn fil' = 'Couldn't load in file')

So... first thought of course, there must be something wrong with the water plane, so I try and I try to make several new water planes and repeat the process, all the time getting that message..

I try putting the water plane into a blank test world, nope, still same message.

I try putting an earlier water plane that successfully worked earlier into a blank town, nope, same message.

Then I try opening a blank town in s3pe, doing no changes at all, saving it under a new name. Then try to open it in CAW, and get the same message...

..what!?

I didn't do any changes to the s3pe program or (as far as I know..) update anything in between doing these things, so really, what the ... happened here!?

I could of course try to fiddle around with the pond tool in Super CAW, but so far it has not given good results. Either making the water level disappear, or flooding pretty much the entire town..

V70VWTj.png

This is obviously not what I want...

* edit:

SOLUTION FOUND!

Well, wouldn't you know.. of course, it had to be one of those small things that tripped me up. Now, in case others somehow end up having the same problem, I'll do you a favor and actually tell you what the solution is.. ;) (Browsing through old threads in search of a solution to other problems that almost made me pull my hair out, it's always very annoying to find someone saying they found the solution to their problem, but not saying what it is.....)

The solution:

This is a little technical, but when following the aforementioned procedure, when editing byte 0x12 in the 0x90624C1B file to update it with the new number of water planes, what I did wrong was to use the delete button to remove the digits before typing in the new ones. That doesn't work. Instead, what should be done is to highlight them with the mouse pointer and then just type in to replace them, save, import the files into the world and voila... water plane.

Seriously. That was it... (slaps forehead).
th1das9.png
Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
Post edited by Sprottenham on