Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Likes and Dislikes

So I realized that when a new like/dislike option comes up for my sim, I automatically accept their likes and deny their dislikes.

So I'm curious about how you play.

Likes and Dislikes 144 votes

I tell YOU what you like and don't like and you will LIKE IT!
30%
LeGardePourpreCabelle1863Colorist40Tanya0980StrangerthanDijktafonekerryemmiebethDarkLady2788LustianiciaCarmineDragonAge_300905annaliese39cyncieWinifred_WillowPenguinFoopaujinehAliakaraSheriSim57LiELFLSM36 44 votes
I go with their decision because; you know freedom of choice or whatever.
13%
bshag4lvGalacticGalJaseCamkatBoergeAarg61cchant86loubyloulouMindofygreydonnblueyblueskyHarukotyanBren91EricasFreePlayLairaKimmerVikSapphire769sashaspotatoWilmeman 19 votes
I don't know. I live in the moment so decide based on how I feel.
51%
crocobauraBluegayleNh6650Kita5399IcewolfLaBlue0314Erja888alexspoom13rudolphaNishaDSMi9shaoscarsimlish1TheSpotted_CelanorbretonUmbralFlowerMariefoxprice83freindlylolFlashMarkermy1helopilotskybird14 74 votes
Likes??? Dislikes??? The unmitigated gall of my sim thinking that they can even ask! (Option is turned off with mods)
4%
LoriTSpWaytoomanyUIDsEnkiSchmidtMDianaSimsMonaveilplumboy23Tempest329 7 votes

Comments

• RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    Since the likes and dislikes are bases on the sims mood while they are doing something, I make the decision on what I want and who they are to me. I don’t want them to dislike something because they happened to be in a bad mood from something unrelated. I also keep likes to a minimum otherwise they will drive me nuts doing the things they like constantly. This system is unbalanced like all the others in this game.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I go with the flow. Sometimes I agree that yes that's a good like for that sim, but I'm maybe leaning towards being more controlling. One way of doing it is to accept what the game gives me and then edit in the CAS afterwards. I don't want them to have too many likes/dislikes, just a few so I pick the ones that suit best.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    It depends. Sometimes the like/dislikes are out of character for the personality I’ve set for them. If so, I make the decision. If it’s just some random thing and won’t have a big impact on the game, I’ll give it to them.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    @RedShoe7 Yeah, it's annoying that it's based on current mood.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    It depends, for some things I agree with them, for some I don't.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    You didn't have an "other" option to choose from so I picked the one that resembled my playstyle the most.

I only assign L/D when creating a new sim and mostly it's to NOT LIKE anything technology wise because 95% of my sims are not in a job or has an aspiration that they should obsessed with electrontics.

And, I actually also use mods to add MORE L/D's because not every hobby/activity has been added by the devs.

But, I also "decline" likes when the game pops up if they should be added, such as when my sim cooked 2 times in one day .... you know that normal, survival activity that everybody has to do (even if they don't enjoy cooking, they have to EAT). My sim was not in the food related job or had an aspiration related to it, so I said NOPE!

I also use a mod by Helaene called Preferences Plus along with her Preferences Plus BOMB, which literally assigns random preferences to the entire world as soon as you load the game for any sim that doesn't already have them. (I personally chose the one for "unplayed sims" for myself.)
    This mod provides dozens of new preferences (hobbies, interests, venues, outfits, personal, food types, drinks and flavors). These new preference traits can be added in CAS using the new likes/dislikes system. Preferences have a variety of gameplay effects including autonomy changes, whims, social interactions, computer interactions and moodlets.

Here's the links for anybody who might be interested in reading more about them.

Preferences Plus
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/preferencesplus-54470706

Preferences Plus BOMB
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/69754448

Very insightful @Chicklet453681 Sorry I didn't do an other option. I figured the "I live in the moment" one would be sufficient for story tellers since basically it's the "it depends" option.

So essentially the options are
    Yes
    No
    Depends
    Disabled for gameplay

In the future I'll be sure to make the options more clear.

As for the mod to add Likes/Dislikes, I didn't consider it because it's still the same basic Yes/No/Maybe so.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm a bit more autocratic with my sims than I like to pretend. :D I'll go with what they choose, but only if it fits what I want. Usually I have an idea of what I want them to like, but I almost never remember to set them when creating the sim. I tend to add this stuff as the game progresses.
    Isharell wrote: »
    I'm a bit more autocratic with my sims than I like to pretend. :D I'll go with what they choose, but only if it fits what I want. Usually I have an idea of what I want them to like, but I almost never remember to set them when creating the sim. I tend to add this stuff as the game progresses.

I sort of use the same approach which is why when the option comes up, I say no when it's negative because it tends to happen when they're doing something I need them to do often.

For instance Shayne is in the athletic career and he had to exercise when he was uncomfortable. He said he didn't like exercising. So I promptly told him that he does indeed like exercising whether he likes it or not. Now he likes it and has the active lifestyle.

I win.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I see these pop ups as suggestions. Sometimes I like the idea and go with it, sometimes it really does not suit my story and ignore it. Especially the proposed dislikes will be ignored. No, you don't hate cooking for the rest of your life because you feel uncomfortable due to a low bladder need.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I see these pop ups as suggestions. Sometimes I like the idea and go with it, sometimes it really does not suit my story and ignore it. Especially the proposed dislikes will be ignored. No, you don't hate cooking for the rest of your life because you feel uncomfortable due to a low bladder need.

💯 Agreed!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I always like to give my sims a personal likes based on theme, general needs & so forth. As for the dislikes, they all get the video gaming & media production as dislikes. For the others, it depends on what timeline I have them play in. For example, all my futuristic sims likes Rocket Science, Robotics & Programming. Where as my past timeline sims likes Knitting, Cross Stitch & Pipe Organ. ;)
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    What @RedShoe7 said. If the mechanic were based on something else like traits or prior experiences, I'd be more inclined to go with what the mechanic decides. Basing it on moods from something unrelated doesn't really work for me.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    It depends on the moment. Most of the time I am rather controlling on what my sims like and don’t like but if it applies to the story well I’ll go with it.
    What @RedShoe7 said. If the mechanic were based on something else like traits or prior experiences, I'd be more inclined to go with what the mechanic decides. Basing it on moods from something unrelated doesn't really work for me.

Yeah I can see your point but I think it's like in real life, at least for me. If I'm angry and have to do something that I wouldn't ordinarily have a problem with, my mood does make me not like it. That even applies to things that I usually like.

That might be why they made it an easy toggle. That being said though, from the mechanics point process, it seems to be a "permanent" opinion. So once thy dislike something, no matter their future mood, they will still dislike it. So I guess it depends on intent and should be changed accordingly.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Since all my Sims are pre-determined from existing characters and characters I stick with all the, naturally I set their likes and dislikes according to their personality I gave them.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I decide at the time when a preference pops up, they often don't make sense and are affected by emotions. Sometimes I feel the a specific preference choice doesn't suit a specific sim.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2022
    I generally go with it unless it majorly impacts their progress because I can't switch career/traits (like not liking Gardening during early BACC when they can't just buy groceries).

I currently have a Lazy sim who I set to Dislike Fitness (and the extreme sports that also build Fitness) in CAS. He's a Conservationist and lives on the island opposite the volcano. When he has volcano island tasks I get around this dislike by travelling to the volcano part of Mua Pel'Am via the map instead of swimming, so it's acceptable. He also has the Angling Ace aspiration and Fishes a lot (he has over 10 fishing traps too, because it's passive Fishing and he's Lazy), so I moved his Fishing traps into wading depth so he doesn't have to swim to them.

I also have a Party Animal/Foodie who I originally set to Dislike Mixology, as I planned to do Juice Fizzing with him instead, making batches for his parties and using up some produce from his kitchen garden. However he rolls Mixology Wants occasionally, so I switched it to Likes instead. He can't hate it that much if the Want to drink nectar overrides that, right? Thinking on it again though, I might switch it back and have him suffer the pain of pouring the nectar for the pleasure of drinking it.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited October 2022
    Considering I make my sims and give them the personalities they are supposed to have (in my mind ), I give them the likes and dislikes I think they should have. However some of my sims liked dancing to music, before likes and dislikes came about, so I continue on with those same types of likes. The problem I have is with lifestyles and wants and fears. sometimes my sims get the wrong lifestyle, want, or fear. Examples: I have a farmer that tends his animals and fishes, but also enjoys tv to relax at night, when he has time after tending the animals and woodworking to pay bills. But, he ended up getting technophobe where he hates to be around technology,…… it even keeps him from woodworking, which he is supposed to like. I would rather pick my sims lifestyles rather than them getting them automatically, He is supposed to enjoy woodworking and watching tv when he has time, but now he seems to hate things he is supposed to like. The same thing happens with wants and fears. I have a freegan sim who is not suppose to mind not moving up in his •part time” job. Yet he always has fears about not fulfilling his dreams. He already doesn’t like that he has to do manual part time work,( which is ok ), but it doesn’t need to be compounded with unfulfilled dreams because he is not moving up. I mean he is supposed to like not having to work full time. I also have a sim I want to stay at the receptionist level in business. She is not supposed to be experiencing unfulfilled dreams because she is not moving up, she is a young adult who is supposed to be fine with her job level, when she gets a bit older I plan for her to marry a high level business man and leave work to raise children. Her dream is supposed to date and marry a rich man, not worry about unfulfilled dreams of moving up in a job, she is young and supposed to be enjoying her nightlife and stuff instead of her job…… so her fear actually conflicts with what her wants are supposed to be.…… not ALL of my sims want to move up…… so they shouldn’t have that fear. Please GIVE ME THE CHOICE to decide what their wants, fears, and dreams should be……
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

I DO know: I live in the moment so I decide based on how I feel.

Sometimes I fill out the like/dislike chart, other times I let the sim decide whatever they want.
    If what they want is not what I want I will no longer play with them. :D
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 2022
    This topic reminds me - I must make a Sim and set them to dislike a specific colour. Then set their entire clothing wardrobe and house furnishings that colour. They'd be challenging to keep a happy camper.
    I wonder if you set their disliked colour to white, then took them outside in winter - would they be a gibbering wreck, as everything is white?
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited October 2022
    Sometimes my Sims have strange likes and dislikes (game decisions). So I decide based on how I fell the Sim would like it or not. For example I had an outdoorsy Sim working in the gardening career and the game suddenly asks me if the Sim dislikes gardening. Well, of course not!
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I chose this option because I don't give my Sims any likes, just dislikes, because they are already obsessed enough with objects. I also give most of my Sims any computer related and tech dislikes to avoid them using phones and computers as much as possible because it's so annoying and I don't even want my Sims to have mobile phones at all.

#Team Occult
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2022
    I may pick one or two in create a sim, usually something like ‘likes green’.

But when it comes to their hobbies and stuff I decide on what they tell me. I generally let them choose but there’s some things that just won’t suit them so I change. One said they liked computer games and that was a no as they’re my outdoorsy sim.

But sometimes this feature pleasantly surprises me. One decided they disliked handiness and I thought oh fine then I’ll get someone else to do it. And sometimes it’s like “Autumn has decided she likes pop music” and I’m just like oh, okay 😂😂. Who am I to say no!