Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 1 is the expert mode of Sims, change my mind

CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
Sims 1 is literally the hardest game of all sims.

Making rags to riches challenge in other sims is easy enough. Sims 4? Not a big deal, just hang around in Goth's house untill you gain some money. Sims 3? Not problem either. Sims 2? Eh. But rags to riches in Sims 1 is literally brutal. Your needs decay insanely fast, your sim doesnt want to skill up if every moodlet is not green, every other sim hates you if you try to talk with them more than once and your bills are always twice as your income.

I managed to learn all spells / become superstar today after one week, started with 0 simoleons & no magical items and as someone who did rags to riches in every franchise, I can say Sims 1 was the hardest by far. My secrets were: Palm Reader woman who maximizes your needs for 20 simoleons, genie (he did burn many of my valuable stuff tho, but once I learn water spell, it didnt cause problem).

Quick note: My work didnt even give me free holidays when I had baby. I had to send my clone to work. LMAO

Anyone who did rags to riches in Sims 1?
Post edited by CordeliaBeaufort on

Comments

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited October 2022
    Me! I play The Sims 1 pretty regularly. I have the sims grind logic or mechanical so they can get a lot of coins performing on the stage in magictown. Then I do a few Rain of Riches charms to make quick cash as well as that charm that makes you a high level celebrity in the fame career. I then usually build up the skills and famous friends required to reach level 5 stars and spam the model runway to get the most efficient $$$ per hour.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2022
    Me! I plays The Sims 1 pretty regularly. I have the sims grind logic or mechanical so they can get a lot of coins performing on the stage in magictown. Then I do a few Rain or Riches charms to make quick cash as well as that charm that makes you a high level celebrity in the fame career. I then usually build up the skills and famous friends required to reach level 5 stars and spam the model runway to get the most efficient $$$ per hour.

Ah Rain to Riches, I love that spell. And, I also spam Lovestruck spell whenever I need friends for promotion. Why not Smiley Face? Because Smiley Face sets relationship bar at 70 while Lovestruck sets as 90, meaning you wont need to talk with them for a while. I had to have like 20 friends for paranormal career and just made all city fell love me lmao :smiley:
    Magic Mood is very handy spell too, but getting one of ingredient; Glacial Glass is very hard as vendors keep giving me Wizard Eyelashes :(
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Why do I have to change your mind? It's true.

Like you really have to keep a strict routine. Even a little routine break will mess things up. The longer it is, the worse it will be. And with the ability to visit community lots, the routine will get messed up more often.
    That's why I always recommend starting the game playing with one sim and get the routine going. I made a mistake if starting with 4 sims and things got so miserable that the two children were sent to the military school.

Yet there is one thing I know and always use when things are really bad: Miss Lucille's palm readings. She is found in Old Town (specifically on lots that sell candles). Sometimes her palm readings will the whole family's needs up to max (in this case, the message tells that she sees a change in your sim's life, marriage in the near future, love will find a place in sim's heart again).
    I also always tried to hire service sims to do chores for my sims. In the next games, I can have my sims clean, repair etc without it messing up the routine, but The Sims 1 is a whole different story.

And what do I get for it? A golden pinecone that I lost when my sims moved away! Attempts to win more vacation awards have failed unfortunately...
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    How did I not know about MIss Lucille's palm readings? There's so much I still need to explore
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited October 2022
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Why do I have to change your mind? It's true.

Like you really have to keep a strict routine. Even a little routine break will mess things up. The longer it is, the worse it will be. And with the ability to visit community lots, the routine will get messed up more often.
    That's why I always recommend starting the game playing with one sim and get the routine going. I made a mistake if starting with 4 sims and things got so miserable that the two children were sent to the military school.

Yet there is one thing I know and always use when things are really bad: Miss Lucille's palm readings. She is found in Old Town (specifically on lots that sell candles). Sometimes her palm readings will the whole family's needs up to max (in this case, the message tells that she sees a change in your sim's life, marriage in the near future, love will find a place in sim's heart again).
    I also always tried to hire service sims to do chores for my sims. In the next games, I can have my sims clean, repair etc without it messing up the routine, but The Sims 1 is a whole different story.

And what do I get for it? A golden pinecone that I lost when my sims moved away! Attempts to win more vacation awards have failed unfortunately...

I think it is due to Sims 1 is designed to be a strategy game rather than life simulator, which you should develop a strategy. I like games like that though so Sims 1 is still fun for me.

Miss Lucille's palm readings were lifesaver for my rags to riches challenge. 1-Come from work 2-Dont waste money on anything, let your motives down with doing nothing (unless starving, then buy the cheapest fridge) 3-Go to Lucille, RIGHT BEFORE your work hour and have her palm reading. She wont give you max motives in first, just spam untill you get it. It takes four or five interaction max, maybe ten if you are very unlucky so make sure you have at least 200 simoleons 4-Come to home and go to work with your perfect motives, enjoy your promotion.

I used Bonehilda after I got some money though, instead of Maid. Its more cost effective.
    How did I not know about MIss Lucille's palm readings? There's so much I still need to explore

Yeah Lucille's palm reading was lifesaver for my part. I accidently learned it though and I couldnt finish rags to riches without her. She wont give you motives in first interaction though so you should spend some money on her. I dont know that max motives thing related to her palm reading (whenever she mentions about finding true love, I got my motives maxxed. Was it because I had lovers?) or just random. But buying nothing and maxing motives via her worked better for my rags to riches. I was only paying for lot taxes. :smiley:
    Fun fact is that there are two outcomes from Lucille's palm reading that max out the need, the other one just maxes out the needs of the sim who got palm reading. Sometimes I wonder what every palm reading does. There's one that says to make friends, there's one about pet winning the blue ribbon...
    Fun fact is that there are two outcomes from Lucille's palm reading that max out the need, the other one just maxes out the needs of the sim who got palm reading. Sometimes I wonder what every palm reading does. There's one that says to make friends, there's one about pet winning the blue ribbon...

I started my rags to riches with one sim and didnt even know that was a thing untill I got my daughter (and make her grown up with magic lol)
    I often get max motives when the palm reading was about finding love, I got nothing on other readings. I dont know if its same for every sim, that certain readings give max motives and others not, or its completely depens on your gameplay. (ie, if you fulfill the thing said in palm reading, you got maxmotives)

I started my rags to riches with one sim and didnt even know that was a thing untill I got my daughter (and make her grown up with magic lol)
    I often get max motives when the palm reading was about finding love, I got nothing on other readings. I dont know if its same for every sim, that certain readings give max motives and others not, or its completely depens on your gameplay. (ie, if you fulfill the thing said in palm reading, you got maxmotives)

No, it's always the same message for all sims that max out the motives. From what I've heard, the reading that says things about a blue ribbon increases the chance of winning the pet show.

latest?cb=20120815194912