Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time for the Sims Team to update the memory system

Who else agrees that it’s time the Sims team updated the memory system,
What ideas can you suggest
Memories should be made automatic and effect a Sims life, Sims should get memories when they get married, have a baby, get a new job etc, also having the option for each memory to have a screenshot or not and being able to change the emotion of the memory.

Comments

• Options
    Bren91Bren91 Posts: 298 Member
    I think anything impressionable should leave a memory. And I think each memory should have a low to high effect. And that low to high effect should impact how a sim goes about their lives and it should take traits into consideration too. Like a gloomy sim that everyone is mean too, should have a harder time getting over it, or a good trait sim should have a harder time dealing with mean sims or a certain sim because it impacted their memory longer than say a sim who is cheerful all the time or who is mischevious themselves.
    Of course some things that happen should be a high effect memory. One they always keep in mind and by that I mean when their fine or bored they may start to reminisce about it. Such as a wedding day and depending on the memory whether it’s good or bad effects their mood. And the memory remembers the emotion they felt then, so then it causes the sim to have the moodlet again while their reminiscing about it. A wedding day most likely would be a very happy time so it would temporarily make them very happy for how long? Well that would depend if it’s a low to high memory.
    An alien abduction would be traumatic most likely, and make a sim fearful of aliens the rest of their life, when they begin to reminisce it would cause very tense moodlet or very fearful moodlet.
    A ghost may cause this too, and if the memory is bad enough maybe it even has a wild chance of causing so much stress to the sim it causes death. A sims first kiss should be a high bar memory we’re it’s logged and they through out their life reminisce over it or think about that particular sim they kissed.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Memories should be made automatic and effect a Sims life, Sims should get memories when they get married, have a baby, get a new job etc, also having the option for each memory to have a screenshot or not and being able to change the emotion of the memory.

That last point is especially important.

My very first Sims 4 family had a backstory of moving to Oasis Springs to raise their green alien child in peace (in a time when sims couldn't yet get abducted from literally everywhere), but they were also sad to have to leave their old home behind. So I needed a way to tell the game that those sims were not Fine, but in fact Sad. Back then we could take screenshots and add a flavor emotion to them. I want that back.

Traits are never enough to tell the game what our sims feel. Take, for instance, an Ambitious sim who gets a new job. They should be overjoyed, correct? But what if it's not the one they wanted, or one in a field they have little experience in? Or if it's undercover work in a crime syndicate?
    Therefore the sim should get an immediate happy moodlet for having a new job plus a memory that the player emotion-codes. In the case of a job in an unfamiliar field for example I would choose Tense, but other players might choose Happy ("A job is a job, don't overthink this.") or even Confident ("I'm up to the challenge!").
  • Options
    LucaslovesgamesLucaslovesgames Posts: 58 Member

That last point is especially important.

My very first Sims 4 family had a backstory of moving to Oasis Springs to raise their green alien child in peace (in a time when sims couldn't yet get abducted from literally everywhere), but they were also sad to have to leave their old home behind. So I needed a way to tell the game that those sims were not Fine, but in fact Sad. Back then we could take screenshots and add a flavor emotion to them. I want that back.

Traits are never enough to tell the game what our sims feel. Take, for instance, an Ambitious sim who gets a new job. They should be overjoyed, correct? But what if it's not the one they wanted, or one in a field they have little experience in? Or if it's undercover work in a crime syndicate?
    Therefore the sim should get an immediate happy moodlet for having a new job plus a memory that the player emotion-codes. In the case of a job in an unfamiliar field for example I would choose Tense, but other players might choose Happy ("A job is a job, don't overthink this.") or even Confident ("I'm up to the challenge!").

Totally agree personally I think it’s memories we’re really missing in the Sims 4, it would be nice to get memories for holiday like a child’s first snow etc.