Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the world of Sims CC about to go bonkers? (In a good way)

DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
edited October 2022 in General Mods Discussion
I was doing my daily cc shopping at TSR and it hit me. I wonder what this new partnership between EA and Curseforge is going to mean for TSR and even for Curseforge. I took the plunge a few years back and got a TSR VIP membership. The main feature of that membership for me is the basket option. I've mentioned many times how much cc I have. On any given day I'm usually downloading dozens of items and its handy to get them all in one zip file. It also bypasses their ads, which are intrusive and the 10 second wait to download each item.😤

For so many years TSR has been the unchallenged top dog in the Sims cc world. Mod The Sims and a few others have been a very distant second. Now there is some real competition and it will be interesting to see how this changes both sides. If Curseforge can give me those same sort of features, the download basket or something similar, and do it for free its bye bye VIP membership. It's not an outrageous sum of money, but if I can take that money that I set aside in my budget for their service and turn it around and give it to the creators that's even better. To keep myself in check I have a set amount that I allow myself to spend on that membership and for the creators I support on Patreon.

I've gone from dreading Curseforge to genuinely excited. I feel like for sure TSR is going to have to make some changes to keep their spot at the top and that competition will benefit everybody involved.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited October 2022
    Honestly little tempted to give CC and mods a try again after longest time of not using any this seems super cool

(last time i used them seasons was not even out :lol: )

it was always another reason to not have them with having to go to billion different sites dodging ads and malware so at least that might be solved by this

but I feel like even with these options I just don't want to potentially break my save so :sweat_smile:

maybe one day... :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    edited October 2022
    Yeah, cc does put a burden on computers and older systems feel the hit more. I can't imagine playing my game without it but I also understand why others choose not to. This has been coming for a while. It was turning into a Wild West show and the scandal from this spring was the final straw.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    There will probably be some "drama", in the form of modders and people arguing where mods should be available, but I'm pretty sure that will pass and CurseForge and other sims CC sites can coexist.

It definitely has the potential to become a great way for people to find cc and mods and for mod and cc creators to keep them updated, it depends on the quality control.

It does remind me of Steam Workshop which works the same way, subscribing to mods is really easy there too, but you still need to be aware of what you are downloading and how it affects your game.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    While I don't mind the idea of having a one-stop-shop for Mods/CC, I do wonder exactly how many creators will actually transition over to it.

Because if they're putting their mods/cc on that site and it's 100% free for simmers to download, what's the incentive for people to continue to support them on Patreon?

Or maybe they will only upload their content to Curseforge, after the "Early Access" has be released.

I don't personally subscribe to any creators, but I have "donated" to a few that I feel does an outstanding job. I have no problem waiting until it's publicly released, and if it's a creator who is notorious for locking their content behind a "Patreon Exclusive" paywall .... it's bye-bye, I don't need your content (that you probably stole from Second Life or IMVU or a 3D modeling site).
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    edited October 2022
    Some people who have been reluctant to use mods may be more likely to give them a try if the process is easier and feels more secure.

I'm not opposed to the new site, but there are a number of modders I use and respect who are not listed. Bienchen, for example, has an extensive mod list and is not on the current mod squad. I use over 40 of her mods. I also use many mods from Adeepindigo and Ilkavelle who were not listed. I don't think UI Cheats Extension is listed either! So, for me, I will still have to check multiple sites for updates.

Also I have my mods folder arranged to suit me. I don't like the idea of a service messing with it willy nilly. I need to find out more about how that works.
    @Chicklet453681 It comes down to why someone became a patron. At one time I did have two creators I supported in spite of the paywall. That all changed when the brouhaha started this spring. I do have one still but I signed up and paid for a full year about a month before all that happened. I totally changed how I do my Patreon after that. Now everybody I support is only as a thank you and they are ones that I download pretty much everything they share. I don't think people that use Patreon like that are going to change. It's just nice to know which site to continue donating to them through.

@telemwill I missed that part about rearranging our mods folders. I'm like you, I have my folder organized and I have a very specific system for how it's organized. I'm sure there was to be a way to say, please keep your hands to yourself.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited October 2022
    idk only downside i really see is that lots of the smaller creators are probably still not going to be uploading their work there and then if people start mainly browsing this they won't be discovering those people

and mods we don't talk about which Olive Specter would enjoy are not going to be there which is rather sad
    tbh that is both positive and negative because once I give Olive her machete I completely forget how to do anything else than meet Grim Reaper if you catch my meaning and it can get quite gloomy so maybe I shouldn't anyway for my own mental health
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • WinterdaysWinterdays Posts: 12 New Member
    Whenever I see news on companies supporting mods. I usually think of Bethesda, getting well known modders to make mods that you have to pay for. There was that whole backlash about forever free mods and such on nexus a while back also.

Generally skeptical of anything like this and normally its never a good thing.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 371 Member
    Those on the mod squad that I am a member of their discord or patreon did say they are keeping their sites available. This is just another site you can visit to download their mods and update.
    There is no charge at all to use curseforge to download mods
    I use curseforge for W.o.W. and have had no problem with malware etc when downloading mods for it.
    As for mess up your mod folder I don't know as I have never made changes to my mod for W.o.W but if you are worried about that make a copy of your mod folder and place on a usb drive or your desktop and after download a couple pieces of cc or mods compare the two folders and see what changes were made if any were made besides the new mods or cc you just downloaded, also do the same just before update and see how the updates went
    @ZazzyKittyn Interesting, I haven't used curseforge in a long time (stopped on one of the wow expansions). I did some digging and if you are a current curseforge user maybe you know what this guy is talking about on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZRT2628Uw

It was one of the first vids I pulled up, talked about malware along with overwolf problems.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Those on the mod squad that I am a member of their discord or patreon did say they are keeping their sites available. This is just another site you can visit to download their mods and update.
    There is no charge at all to use curseforge to download mods
    I use curseforge for W.o.W. and have had no problem with malware etc when downloading mods for it.
    As for mess up your mod folder I don't know as I have never made changes to my mod for W.o.W but if you are worried about that make a copy of your mod folder and place on a usb drive or your desktop and after download a couple pieces of cc or mods compare the two folders and see what changes were made if any were made besides the new mods or cc you just downloaded, also do the same just before update and see how the updates went

When I say I'm worried about the app messing with my mods folder, I don't mean that I expect them to change what already exists. I just have my mods organized in a certain way, and most likely they will not be using the same method. If I have to go in and change it to suit me, will I lose the advantages of using the site? Will the app still offer me the ability to update mods if I change and rename the folders?
    @Winterdays I have no idea but they did in the description talked about WoW.up never heard of but have heard of WoW.me though. Have no idea what they are talking about and listened to it twice.

@telemwill since I have never organized or changed names to the mods in my addon for W.o.W I can't say. But they did mention that not only with the mods and cc you downloaded from curseforge it will track the cc mods you have downloaded elsewhere I'm going to say that as long as the cc and/or mod name wasn't changed it won't. But again might have to wait til the first patch that happens after using curseforge to know for sure if it does
    @ZazzyKittyn thanks anyway, I'm going to keep away from that app like I originally planned and just hope that company doesn't try and screw over other mods not related to there sight.
    @ZazzyKittyn The names is where I'm going to run into trouble. Whenever I download a file I always remove things like brackets, parenthesis, and any other punctuation marks. It's just the creators name, if they included it, and the file name with spaces in between. It's one of my little OCD things.🙂
    @DaniRose2143 before you update mods maybe move your mod folder to desktop let Sims create a new mod folder update those that need updating and change the names the way you like do a test play to make sure the mods cc work then paste the mods if they work with the name changes to the the mod folder on the desktop. Used to remove all that also and just have the name mod creator and version so know that its the current version til ran into problems with the mod not working back so didn't bother with name changes after that with Sims. Before I update patches I remove my tray mod and save folders cause had to many save files get corrupted by a patch cause I changed the names of the worlds on some save files