Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The EA app and The Sims 3: how to report bugs (and why it's important).

TL;DR: I encourage you to report any bugs you find while using the EA app using the in-app bug report feature to ensure players playing an old game like us are properly heard and to ensure the longevity of our beloved game! :heart:

So you've likely seen by now that Origin will be replaced by the end of the year with its big brother, the EA app. The EA app is no longer in beta, which should mean everything is in working order...alas, we live in an imperfect world and we, my friends, play a very old game that likely wasn't involved much (read: at all) during beta testing. Because of this, any hiccups involving The Sims 3 and its new EA app pal will likely have gone unnoticed and will potentially plague you and other TS3 simmers as you navigate these new waters.

I'm typing this thread up for a few reasons:

1.) I saw @GoddessByline having issues with her Sims 3 game crashing on EA app, but not Origin. She went to Answers HQ for assistance and ended up rolling back to Origin for the time being. While that's all well and good, the right people at EA will not know of her issue from Answers HQ, which means this issue will likely persist in future versions of the EA app.

2.) I saw a reddit user on the Sims 3 subreddit post a conversation they had with a customer support agent. Their store content was no longer showing up in their game following the switch to the EA app. When asked, they (according to their messages) got mixed answers from support agents, with the most recent one (and the one they believed for some reason) being the one that told them Sims 3 store content wasn't compatible with the EA app. This is not true. The store content is literally advertised on The Sims 3's EA app page. Their customer support agent was wrong and, frankly, doesn't know what they're talking about. This is why it's important to report bugs. You make sure people who will understand know that such a problem exists.

3.) I switched to the EA app recently. My game ran just as it did through Origin. My game crashed a few hours into playing (as it normally would :sweat_smile: ). Because it crashed, the EA app didn't consider it to be closed (even with no processes related to it running in Task Manager), so I couldn't close the EA app. I ended up having to force close it in Task Manager. Reopened it, made sure I could still run The Sims 3 (It could), and checked for a bug report button.

After all of this, I came to the conclusion that most Simmers are likely not as used to bug reporting as I am. Luckily for all of you, I guess, I'm a giga nerd who has been apart of many closed World of Warcraft betas so I know a thing or two about reporting bugs. :wink:

When do I report a bug?

Simply put, whenever you encounter one that you don't believe is a problem on your end. And, in this case, one that you believe is linked to the new EA app.

How do I report a bug?

In the EA app, click the three lines in the upper left corner above "Home":
ETSkvln.png

In the drop-down menu, select Help>EA Error Reporter:
rC7oixV.png

The window to report the bug will open. Select the category you think fits best, concisely type all the details you believe are important (remember to always put the name of the game involved with the bug (if there is one)), check the diagnostics box, and submit. :smile:
2elShcE.png

Anyway, hopefully all of that makes sense because I haven't slept. And hopefully this thread isn't cringey. I don't fancy myself a techy, so I always feel like an actor who plays a doctor on TV when I talk about stuff like this, but I'm just trying to help. :confounded: Please correct me if I am a smooth brain. Thanks. :kissing_heart:

Comments

• StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I switched over to the EA app when I did my reinstall recently and changed right back to Origin immediately. It would not load all of my expansions and stuff packs and I couldn't get it to work so I had to go back to Origin or I wouldn't be able to play with all of my stuff in the game! I do like the interface and everything of the app, it *looks* very nice and simple but it doesn't work very nice yet. I really hope they work out all of the bugs. Thank you for posting this!
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    @StephSteb I've been having this issue too
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited October 2022
    Once the EA app is released, I will rebuy all my games on Steam if I want to play again.
    I doubt EA will work on fixing sims 3.They stopped updating that game a while back.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I've been reading the Reddit post about this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims3/comments/y03x1c/so_i_noticed_that_store_content_doesnt_load/

It works for some people and totally doesn't work for other people. No reason why, yet. I hope they fix it for you Origin players. I was lucky to get on Steam first.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Once the EA app is released, I will rebuy all my games on Steam if I want to play again.
    I doubt EA will work on fixing sims 3.They stopped updating that game a while back.

I kick myself every day for not buying everything on Steam but I am also of the opinion that if I already bought everything, I shouldn't have to buy it AGAIN just because they want to change the app it runs on resulting in it breaking the game <3
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @GraceyManor The game isn't what will need to be updated. The app will. Remember that this isn't about The Sims 3 by itself. Older games in general not working well with the new app (for some users) is a problem that will likely be addressed in future updates if people report it.

I meant for this thread to alleviate doom and gloom, but it's kind of sowing the seeds of it right now with these comments. For what it's worth, my game works perfectly fine through the EA app. The app not recognizing a crashed game as closed isn't a Sims 3 problem, it's just a general bug with the app. My store content is there, my expansions are recognized, etc and I hope that some people's issues won't make everyone just think to avoid it because that's less simmers using it which means less bugs related to The Sims 3's performance in the EA app being reported.
  • brandonfavebrandonfave Posts: 17 Member
    > @Emily4331 said:
    > @GraceyManor The game isn't what will need to be updated. The app will. Remember that this isn't about The Sims 3 by itself. Older games in general not working well with the new app (for some users) is a problem that will likely be addressed in future updates if people report it.
    >
    > I meant for this thread to alleviate doom and gloom, but it's kind of sowing the seeds of it right now with these comments. For what it's worth, my game works perfectly fine through the EA app. The app not recognizing a crashed game as closed isn't a Sims 3 problem, it's just a general bug with the app. My store content is there, my expansions are recognized, etc and I hope that some people's issues won't make everyone just think to avoid it because that's less simmers using it which means less bugs related to The Sims 3's performance in the EA app being reported.

What are you doing differently? I even had to delete my ENTIRE Sims 3 folder and lose EVERYTHING!
    @brandonfave I can tell you what I did, but I can't tell you what I did "differently" as I have no idea what everyone else did. A lot of times with bugs it ends up just being "unlucky" for lack of a better term. But that's why I'm encouraging people to bug report. I didn't have their issues, but they did. EA isn't telepathic and bug reporting is the best way to, as I said, get the right people to know this issue happened to someone so they can look into it.

I have no idea what your problem was with the app, but if you had to delete your entire Sims 3 folder, I encourage you (and any simmers who haven't done so) to start backing up files that matter to you. There are plenty of online services for file backup, or you can get an external hard drive.

If you truly lost everything, I'm assuming you didn't have them backed up somewhere. When you deleted the folder (assuming you mean the Sims 3 folder in your documents), did you receive a prompt asking if you wanted to permanently delete it because it was too large to be recycled? If you didn't receive this prompt, your folder is likely not gone, but hanging out in your recycle bin. You can restore it from there. Your recycle bin can be found on your desktop. If it isn't there, you can type "recycle" in the search bar and find it there.

As it pertains to the EA app, this is how it went for me:

-Opened Origin and saw message that the EA app would be replacing Origin at the end of the year.
    -Googled "EA App."
    -Downloaded the EA App and ran the installer.
    -The installer installed the EA App and uninstalled Origin.
    -Ran EA App and signed in.
    -Opened The Sims 3.
    -Played game as usual.
    > @Emily4331 said:
    > @brandonfave I can tell you what I did, but I can't tell you what I did "differently" as I have no idea what everyone else did. A lot of times with bugs it ends up just being "unlucky" for lack of a better term. But that's why I'm encouraging people to bug report. I didn't have their issues, but they did. EA isn't telepathic and bug reporting is the best way to, as I said, get the right people to know this issue happened to someone so they can look into it.
    >
    > I have no idea what your problem was with the app, but if you had to delete your entire Sims 3 folder, I encourage you (and any simmers who haven't done so) to start backing up files that matter to you. There are plenty of online services for file backup, or you can get an external hard drive.
    >
    > If you truly lost everything, I'm assuming you didn't have them backed up somewhere. When you deleted the folder (assuming you mean the Sims 3 folder in your documents), did you receive a prompt asking if you wanted to permanently delete it because it was too large to be recycled? If you didn't receive this prompt, your folder is likely not gone, but hanging out in your recycle bin. You can restore it from there. Your recycle bin can be found on your desktop. If it isn't there, you can type "recycle" in the search bar and find it there.
    >
    > As it pertains to the EA app, this is how it went for me:
    >
    > -Opened Origin and saw message that the EA app would be replacing Origin at the end of the year.
    > -Googled "EA App."
    > -Downloaded the EA App and ran the installer.
    > -The installer installed the EA App and uninstalled Origin.
    > -Ran EA App and signed in.
    > -Opened The Sims 3.
    > -Played game as usual.

I just thought I needed a "clean start".
    > @Emily4331 said:
    > @brandonfave I can tell you what I did, but I can't tell you what I did "differently" as I have no idea what everyone else did. A lot of times with bugs it ends up just being "unlucky" for lack of a better term. But that's why I'm encouraging people to bug report. I didn't have their issues, but they did. EA isn't telepathic and bug reporting is the best way to, as I said, get the right people to know this issue happened to someone so they can look into it.
    >
    > I have no idea what your problem was with the app, but if you had to delete your entire Sims 3 folder, I encourage you (and any simmers who haven't done so) to start backing up files that matter to you. There are plenty of online services for file backup, or you can get an external hard drive.
    >
    > If you truly lost everything, I'm assuming you didn't have them backed up somewhere. When you deleted the folder (assuming you mean the Sims 3 folder in your documents), did you receive a prompt asking if you wanted to permanently delete it because it was too large to be recycled? If you didn't receive this prompt, your folder is likely not gone, but hanging out in your recycle bin. You can restore it from there. Your recycle bin can be found on your desktop. If it isn't there, you can type "recycle" in the search bar and find it there.
    >
    > As it pertains to the EA app, this is how it went for me:
    >
    > -Opened Origin and saw message that the EA app would be replacing Origin at the end of the year.
    > -Googled "EA App."
    > -Downloaded the EA App and ran the installer.
    > -The installer installed the EA App and uninstalled Origin.
    > -Ran EA App and signed in.
    > -Opened The Sims 3.
    > -Played game as usual.

Does EA even care about their players! A lot of big game companies these days don't seem like they do!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    I've got discs for some of my expansion packs... And I'll just buy the base game on Steam and stick to 1.67...EA App can kiss my expansive heiny.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    I've cleared out the cache and I think it works now!
    I meant the IE cache, believe it or not.
    @brandonfave Great news. :smiley:
    edited October 2022
    I decided to try the app, and it seems everything is working okay for me..However I noticed I have games that I didn't purchase?
    Anyone else have that issue? It shows me owning Apex Legends, but I know for a fact I didn't buy it. And I don't know if this would be considered a bug, should I use the report bug form or directly contact EA about it?
    @GraceyManor Apex Legends is a free game, so it may have just crept its way into your library to entice you to play it lol. Either way, nothing to really worry about.
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    @GraceyManor Apex Legends is a free game, so it may have just crept its way into your library to entice you to play it lol. Either way, nothing to really worry about.

Oh okay.XD I never noticed it before as its not a game I would typically play lol.
    I was trying to find my purchase history and couldn't find it. :D
    > @Emily4331 said:
    > @brandonfave Great news. :smiley:

I still have to redownload all of my content every time I play the game though.
    It even says I "do not own" some of the items even though I PAID for them!
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,318 EA Community Manager
    Stickied. These reports are invaluable to us, so please let us know when things go wrong :)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    @brandonfave Remember to report these bugs in the EA app as outlined in my original post. :smile:
    I'm curious to see if this info might help anyone else having issues, so I'm going to post an interesting find.

I use LazyDuchess's patched launcher and smooth patch. The smooth patch is an ASI mod which requires admin permission to run, right? I noticed when launching my game through the EA app that I wasn't getting this admin prompt and, therefore, my ASI mods weren't loading. I created a shortcut for LazyDuchess's patched launcher on my desktop and started running my game from there instead. When doing so, it ensured my ASI mods always loaded, but it also had another side effect that intrigues me.

If you recall, I mentioned my only issue with the app was it not recognizing my game as being closed if it crashed or I had to force close it. This was a reoccurring bug that happened every single time my game closed in a non-traditional way. Interestingly, this bug didn't happen when I launched from the patched launcher shortcut. My game got hung up trying to close, I force shut it down, and the EA app immediately recognized it as closed.

This makes me wonder if launching from the executable (or a shortcut of it) might mitigate or eliminate some problems people are having while we wait on bug fix updates. I think it'd be worth a try, at least. :3 I believe for those not using LazyDuchess's patched launcher, you'd run the game from Sims3Launcher.exe. And I recommend making a shortcut for this to move to your desktop or pin to your taskbar as you probably don't want to have to navigate to your install folder every time you wanna play. :tongue: This will still require the EA app to be open, you just won't be launching the game from there.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    edited October 2022
    Most of 3's packs installed fine (Fast Lane refuses however) however getting some of my items to install is a different story. Not positive its a
    App problem but just in case I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else having same problem.

Note: I did report the Fast Lane error though.
    BW5RAH1.png
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    @Bluegayle Sorry if I'm misunderstanding after looking at your post history, but you installed all of your packs through Origin so they should be installed. Have you tried what I outlined in my post just before yours? Instead of launching through the EA app, run it straight from the executable and see if these packs are showing up as installed as they should. Not only might this allow you to play them, but this will ensure this issue is connected to the EA app.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Thanks @Emily4331 I am getting the objects/worlds etc to finally download and install from a stick (my backup)

I don't think that would work with a stuffpack though as they don't install thru the launcher. It wouldn't redownload from Origin either so I will have to wait and hopefully hear back from ea re: my incident report.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion