March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

new ea app will force updates?

I was reading the announcement blurb on how origin is going away and it will be the new ea app for everyone along with a new personal ID number and being able to connect our ea account with other platforms like steam.

The part I noticed was that updates would be automatically done with this new app and I immediately thought of all the people who take pains not to allow their game to update. With origin gone and being forced to use the new app, will they also be forced to accept any and all updates as well?

I can't imagine that going over well. Or the amazing new (hopefully not mandatory) connectivity between all the people you know and friend so that you can jump into each other's games?

Apt of people who are passionate about simming are equally passionate about having their game remain inviolate, secure from interference from others, and it is also very important to remain able to play offline.

Hoping we get some clarification about these issues and how they will be treated going forward once we all must use this new app.
You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
```
wonderfullymade.jpg

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,858 Member
    edited October 2022
    Or the amazing new (hopefully not mandatory) connectivity between all the people you know and friend so that you can jump into each other's games?

I think it just meant it will notify you when people are online playing some game

same way origin does if you have people in your friends list

playing together probably just refers to multiplayer games like be online at same time kind of thing not actually entering your game

regardless I am kinda worried about old games and their content with this new app i hope they don't mess it up

(i hope gallery does not get messed up isn't it connected to origin somehow)

and also I remain doubtful this app will actually run better than origin for everyone all we really hear is people having trouble with it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,514 Member
    I can't see them making it so others can enter your game, or that it would be mandatory that you allow it. That's a major invasion of privacy and would set off a firestorm. I'm with @Simmingal, since the app covers all EA titles the games like FIFA, Madden and others are the ones that is intended for. I hope we can get into the game without the app. I can take Origin offline and still play, but I can't access the gallery, which stinks.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,766 Member
    The EA app is just fine, it wont update your game if you dont want it to. It wont update itself if you dont want it to! And what if it makes it easier? https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18189269#Comment_18189269
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,173 Member
    I just installed the new app and it works fine with the games I have installed. Including sims2 and Sim stories.
    You still have the option to "Not" update automatically. You should edit your post to show that as it is giving false info.

NquLiTr.png
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,104 Member
    There's only one person I wouldn't mind entering my Sims 4 & that is my sweet Daughter who is also a Sims 4 player. I've made some builds & sims for her the past few years & saved them in the Gallery. She very much appreciated them, especially when they came in her favorite colors pink & purple. ;)
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    I just installed the new app and it works fine with the games I have installed. Including sims2 and Sim stories.
    You still have the option to "Not" update automatically. You should edit your post to show that as it is giving false info.

NquLiTr.png

I wouldn't mind updating the post if that's the case but it said right there that updates would be automatic so that's what I was going on.

But I thank you and others already using the app if you tell us how it is. For @DaniRose2143 's question , could you weigh in on whether you can play without the app being open? I think that's what she was asking.

I guess Origin is notoriously clunky and a resource hog so this app thing must be an improvement unless it prevents people from declining updates or playing offline. Then that would be a big fail for a lot of players.

Interested in what those of you already using it can tell the rest of us!🙂
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    The app have the option to not update games automatically, I'm not sure if that means that you can play the game without updating though. I guess I will have to wait until Maxis releases a patch to find out.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,766 Member
    Yeah @ignominiusrex some of us started talking about it here https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18189269#Comment_18189269 basically i been using it since august, so you can DM anythime if you have any questions about it...

..and about @DaniRose2143 question im not sure i get it either, the gallery is not available offline! And when i go offline, the EA app run in the background but will allow you to play your game offline for as long as you want or until you turn you PC off!
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,514 Member
    @ignominiusrex I’m not sure if Origin has to be open or not. By default I have it set to open on startup, but when I know an update is coming I take it offline. It still opens but doesn’t connect to the internet until I tell it to. In that mode it lets me play the game but I have no access to the gallery. Even when there are mandatory updates I can still play the game without accepting the update.
    @ignominiusrex I’m not sure if Origin has to be open or not. By default I have it set to open on startup, but when I know an update is coming I take it offline. It still opens but doesn’t connect to the internet until I tell it to. In that mode it lets me play the game but I have no access to the gallery. Even when there are mandatory updates I can still play the game without accepting the update.

I guess in that case, we can hope that when the app fully replaces Origin, that offline play will still be doable.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited October 2022
    I tried on my laptop which has a version of The Sims 4 which is not updated and I thought for a minute that I had to disconnect my internet to go offline but no, they added an offline option in the menu and there is a setting where you can disable automatic updates in the app settings.
    v7xxWua.png

Which is good, because I want the option to be able to play the game without having to update it.

Ok now I'm dreading the new app because my Windows Desktop PC won't let me access any apps. :s:'(
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,634 Member
    edited October 2022
    Just a quick note to make sure everyone are aware that offline mode means other simmers can't see you and you can't access challenge elated online stuff etc. But even if in offline mode, you will be online with EA games. I guess the only way to stay real offline will be to pull that internet connection...

When I play offline, it takes forever to close my game, assumingly because Origin is grabbing tons of files regarding my game. It's quite spectacular that a game that has just been saved takes 5 minutes to shut down, and because the game takes up all resources during those minutes, I can hardly do anything else on my computer until Origin eventually closes, just to pop up a new log-in window, which I then close and it will then take "only" 30 seconds to gain control over my computer. All this time I'm in "off-line mode". Been like this for years, and I hope the app will be kinder to my computer - and my time...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,216 Member
    logion wrote: »
    The app have the option to not update games automatically, I'm not sure if that means that you can play the game without updating though. I guess I will have to wait until Maxis releases a patch to find out.

For three past patches, I have not been able to play my game without updating. I have set the automatic update to Off. The first time around, I failed to go offline, which was the problem. Second time I remembered to go offline, however I got a popup telling me I couldn't start the game without updating. This was the same for the third time around, too. Luckily, this last time, I was getting HSY, so I just updated.

I worry about future patches, if there are to be any more, if I'll run into the very same questionable tactics. I use mods, and if I wish to wait to patch until the key mods I need to play the game I play are updated, I should be able to do so. Twice, using the workaround, has failed me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    Does this new app apply to sims 3 as well?
    Does this new app apply to sims 3 as well?

I think it has to, since they said Origin will be no more. I kind of wonder what that means for my sims3 game, 2. 🤔 Maybe nothing, I hope?
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    One of the things I'm most worried about is gifting. Is it true that you can't gift sim packs in EA app?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BarjamBarjam Posts: 1 New Member
    I've downloaded the EA App, my sims4 and all add Ons and pack have downloaded but they are downloaded individually so I can only play them one at a time, any help please?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,966 Member
    My approach to offline play is pulling the cable. No muss or fuss and EA can go fly a kite. Game shuts down quickly and I have instant access to the computer for other things.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Ok now I'm dreading the new app because my Windows Desktop PC won't let me access any apps. :s:'(

Are there any locks on said computer? Some kind of parental control thingie? I also have Windows and I was able to download and install the EA App, is why I ask. I'm running Windows 10. I'd get 11, but Microsoft had a nice little 'test' that allowed them to evaluate if your computer can handle 11. Mine failed. Sadness.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    Barjam wrote: »
    I've downloaded the EA App, my sims4 and all add Ons and pack have downloaded but they are downloaded individually so I can only play them one at a time, any help please?

If by one at a time, you mean they show up in your library as individual packs, that's normal. The best way to figure things out is to launch your game and see if objects/interactions you know come from something other than the base game are working. To the best of my limited knowledge, once each pack is installed in the game, you're playing them already. Perhaps, someone with way more computer game savvy will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
    I can use my EA App now. Unfortunately, it won't let me access my Sims 3 Store Contents worlds. :'( Very annoying. :s However, I can access my Sims 4. ;)
  • bjk607bjk607 Posts: 168 Member
    i only had 1 issue with it and that was finding my sister on the EA app, so what I had to do was remove her and then re add her and i can see her now and she can see me