Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I switch from Origin to EA app and still not have to update Sims 4?

"Later this year, the EA app for Windows will replace Origin as the destination for purchasing, downloading, and playing EA games."

I've quit updating since all the game breaking bugs came out with High School Years. I'm planning to stay on the Moon Phase / Werewolves update being my latest one for a few years until TS4 is actually fixed.

When Origin forces me to switch to the EA app, can I switch and still not have to update my game? I don't want all of my fantasy/medieval CC to break and I'd like to have at least one more generation of my vanilla legacy where my sims haven't become obsessed with their phones.

Comments

• SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I've clicked on the "read more" section and saw:

"With automatic game downloads and background updates you can ensure that your games are ready to play when you are."

CAN I NOT? PLEASE.

I don't want your buggy updates! D:
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,900 Member
    I know the automatic download setting once toggled off always stays off. My game is updated so im not sure 100%, but ive used EA app since august. And when i first switched i didnt have to reinstall my game so id say you should be good. Changing from Origin to EA app without re-installing your game should be pretty easy, you just have to toggle off automatic updates in the settings/download in the EA app.
    You might even be able to try it, like downloading the EA app, then running your game a it is, as you want it. Then once your satisfied, uninstall origin. I remember i had both apps for cpl days at least ... hope this helps maybe other folks have had to do this !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
    BetaFrog wrote: »
    I know the automatic download setting once toggled off always stays off. My game is updated so im not sure 100%, but ive used EA app since august. And when i first switched i didnt have to reinstall my game so id say you should be good. Changing from Origin to EA app without re-installing your game should be pretty easy, you just have to toggle off automatic updates in the settings/download in the EA app.
    You might even be able to try it, like downloading the EA app, then running your game a it is, as you want it. Then once your satisfied, uninstall origin. I remember i had both apps for cpl days at least ... hope this helps maybe other folks have had to do this !

Thank you for the info! Also glad to know I can keep Origin for now even if I do get the EA app earlier than the forced date.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    When we are forced to get the app, will we have to reinstall the game? I like origin because I know how to download my packs and kits and with it. I’m not very computer literate, so switching kind of scares me.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited October 2022
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    "Later this year, the EA app for Windows will replace Origin as the destination for purchasing, downloading, and playing EA games."

Where can I read about this?
    Never mind this question, found it in Origin after an update.

Post edited by LaBlue0314 on
    edited October 2022
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    When we are forced to get the app, will we have to reinstall the game? I like origin because I know how to download my packs and kits and with it. I’m not very computer literate, so switching kind of scares me.

its very similar, id say its better... i found it easier to find my way actually ! im sure if you try it you'll find it easy to 'translate' from one to the other ! Once your game is in the EA app 'collection' you click the three dots and you can repair etc.... I also did a re-insatall recently and i could choose which packs individually very easily cause i left out 2, and the options for game updates and app update are easy to find in the setting panel. But no you dont have to re-install the game; the first time i used the EA app i had both apps i could start the game with like i was saying to Sheepiling...
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited October 2022
    I just installed the EA App. The thing I noticed right after installing it, not everything, I own, said I didn't. But after a short wait, those items showed that I owned them and were back in my game. I'm not very computer literate either, but this was easy.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I am very pleased with the new app. The layout is cleaner, it loads faster, and best of all the program's footprint is much smaller. Origin was a resource hog given that it is just a DRM storefront app. The new one is so much better.
    Are you able to play games offline with the EA app? Even if I'm able to turn off automatic updates, can I still play my game without updating it like I can with Origin?
    Are you able to play games offline with the EA app? Even if I'm able to turn off automatic updates, can I still play my game without updating it like I can with Origin?

Yes you can :smile:
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Switched to the EA App myself recently, loving the clean load out but it did take sometime for everything to convert over except I had to reset TS4 to factory in order to get the mods to show up in game again but other than that, not bad.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

Yes you can :smile:

Thank you! One more question, when first installing the EA app, am I able to make sure automatic updates is toggled off right as it's installed? Just so I don't have it trying to update my Sims from the moment I switch apps.
    BMSO wrote: »
    Switched to the EA App myself recently, loving the clean load out but it did take sometime for everything to convert over except I had to reset TS4 to factory in order to get the mods to show up in game again but other than that, not bad.

Thanks for the info! I have plenty of back up saves so I'm not worried if my data goes missing, I can plug that back in later.
    Yeah @Sheepiling if you want to see exactly what to look for, there are 2 posts in this thread that put out a prnt scrn of the EA app right here https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18189499#Comment_18189499

Simply to make sure, you can just start the app but not the game, go thru everything until you feel safe and then go for it ;)

Have a great day !
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    I erroneously started a thread about said App. I was asking the question if I should uninstall the Beta version before installing the one that's 'ready' My gut says yes. Anyone know for sure?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    I'm on a Mac and I finally saw the notice for the new app appear. I clicked learn more and got this...
    You may have seen some news about the new EA app for Windows, which will soon replace Origin as EA’s primary PC gaming destination. We understand you may be curious about what this means for you and your fellow Origin for Mac players.

For now, we have no changes to announce. Origin for Mac is still the place you can access your games. As things evolve, we’ll have more information to share in the coming months.

In the meantime, continue enjoying your games through Origin for Mac.

I like that they aren't changing it for Mac gamers yet. With Origin I can play the game offline and avoid updates until I'm ready to accept them.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited October 2022
    I downloaded the EA app last month and about the last thing the install process did was delete Origin. Deleted the EA app & reinstalled Origin. Fortunately I had saved my mods, saves, tray & screenshot folders to my D drive so didn't lose anything & just had to reinstall games and move sims 4 folders back.
    Post edited by Starfree on
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Unfortunately, I can't seem to access any of my PC Apps, even though I've downloaded them including the EA App. I'm so dreading the loss of Origin cause I won't be able to play my games. :'(:'(
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Really was only playing Sims 4 on Origin and see no difference with the EA app. Except all of a sudden my small list of friends shows names of other people I can now friend, no idea where they came from. Is it related to EA Play which I don't have or a precursor of a Sims multiplayer game?
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I had been using Origin, because when I was using the app I was having crashing issues. Today after I saw that origin is going to be replaced by the app, I redownloaded the app, and played with that today. My game froze. Not good EA. On origin except for that period where everyone seemed to be having origin issues, aside from bugs and glitches my game was fine no crashing, no freezing. Today use the app, and although it took quite a few hours it still froze. I hope whatever it is in the app creating this issue is fixed, because if I can't use Origin down the line, having a game crashing or freezing, is not what I want to deal with.

I think they should keep origin for those who want to use it.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    The one issue I'm having is my sims 3 expansions won't install, but my stuff packs and base game did.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Anyone can confirm If u can play offline and/or without Internet connection?

Also you have to uninstall origin games or not necessarily at all?
    Yeah @Sheepiling if you want to see exactly what to look for, there are 2 posts in this thread that put out a prnt scrn of the EA app right here https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18189499#Comment_18189499

Simply to make sure, you can just start the app but not the game, go thru everything until you feel safe and then go for it ;)

Have a great day !

Thank you so much for all the helpful info! I'm much less scared of this update now :D

graventhe wrote: »
    Anyone can confirm If u can play offline and/or without Internet connection?

Also you have to uninstall origin games or not necessarily at all?

Yes, you should be able to play offline! And I don't think you need to re-install any games if they're already on your computer, it should carry over as long as everything goes as it's supposed to~

I've asked those questions in this thread and already got answers from all the helpful ppl here!
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

Does anyone know when the force date will be? I’m not looking forward to this. There is no high speed internet where I live so anything I do online has to be done through a ridiculously small amount of hotspot cell phone data. I don’t know how much of my data the conversion will require, plus if it actually deletes Origin when it’s done, I’ll have to redownload that in order to play the other, non-EA games I have on Origin? Not to mention the hoops I had to jump through to get Sims 3 and Sims 2 to run the way I want - I’m sure it’ll bork all that, too. *sigh* I wish Santa Claus would find the money to bring me a gaming laptop for Christmas and then I could have a fully updated game and just leave my PC as it is. 😕
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    The one issue I'm having is my sims 3 expansions won't install, but my stuff packs and base game did.

I downloaded the app. I have to download and install sims 3 and all the packs. I cant see my Sims 2 either. I might have to download all of that too.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Does anyone know when the force date will be? I’m not looking forward to this. There is no high speed internet where I live so anything I do online has to be done through a ridiculously small amount of hotspot cell phone data. I don’t know how much of my data the conversion will require, plus if it actually deletes Origin when it’s done, I’ll have to redownload that in order to play the other, non-EA games I have on Origin? Not to mention the hoops I had to jump through to get Sims 3 and Sims 2 to run the way I want - I’m sure it’ll bork all that, too. *sigh* I wish Santa Claus would find the money to bring me a gaming laptop for Christmas and then I could have a fully updated game and just leave my PC as it is. 😕

I don't know the end date but I do have sims2 and simstories and they still run just fine on the new app. I didn't have to redownload them and all my saves etc were intact.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion