Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Occult poll: Werewolves, Vampires or Spellcasters?

A while ago there was a poll on this site asking if people prefer vampires or spellcasters. With the recent addition of werewolves, it is time a for a new poll. Which occult lifestate do you prefer.

This poll is meant to compare the in depth occult lifestates with a dedicated game pack, their own world and perks to unlock. Therefore aliens, mermaids and servos are not included even if they can be fun to play as well.

Occult poll: Werewolves, Vampires or Spellcasters? 146 votes

Vampires
41%
Sara1010PIcewolfjeLlyBeAn1573overonCamkatSimpatsyannAuroraBoreallisSnuffyBucketAnmirlaMagdaleenaSchantalcchant86LuvtehGeeksDarkLady2788akaniki0marbergMirichataydevemeremikesims1994 61 votes
Spellcasters
38%
CK213bshag4lvEvvieSimmerOolonglongCabelle1863rudolphaJueJueNishaDSdanacnbrettmcruddMariefoxprice83BoergeAarg61simgirl1010g01denswanloubyloulouLustianiciaWinterKhirinashcrash19skybird14Carmine 56 votes
Werewolves
19%
GoldmoldarStrangerthanvessmeMoon_WillowPlumbobCrossingCassandra52182CAPTAIN_NXR7snoepjes1210EnkiSchmidtmusteniDaniRose2143BlueR0seEvilyn_1007mrs_starkeyPeralInuMiroLoverSERVERFRALady_BalloraDaepheneIVXXXVI 29 votes

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Spellcasters
    My favourite is no secret. I like magic and am very happy to have spellcasters in my game. I enjoy the whimsical and magical element they add. I adore the art nouveau furniture and really like glimmerbrook because the only buildings visible are on lots so buildings we can change. The magical realm looks really unique, if only sims could actually live there... All I want is a pack refresh that allows children to learn/practise some of the magic as well.

My second in this poll would be werewolves. I have been asking for them in every 'what pack do you want next' poll for years. I like the perks to unlock and the temperament which add some diversity among the werewolf population. I also like the general look of the werewolves, all I miss is a female frame for the very humanoid shaped body.

Vampires are also well done and I had fun playing with them for a while but the whole drinking blood is just not my thing.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Werewolves
    Actually all the above, plus Aliens & Mermaids. :p
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,843 Member
    Werewolves
    If only spellcasters were as well done as werewolves and vampires they'd actually be in with a chance as my favorite. I can't remember who posted it first but someone on here got it spot on, spellcasters are just sims with built in cheat codes. They don't feel occult, they don't feel like they're an enhanced life state.

As it is, werewolves are my favorite, vampires are second, spellcasters sadly are a distant third.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,962 Member
    edited September 2022
    Vampires
    In all honesty I like them all

but I feel like my place is in Forgotten Hollow
    with my vampire kin enjoying the beautiful night and dreading the sun

I adore Greg but I barely know him yet
    and I have feeling he doesn't like me back
    so I'll save myself the heartbreak and just consider us friends
    yet most likely enemies in his book

i just require more control than he is willing to give

and spellcasters although rather troublesome I do like hanging out with
    I just find it sad they've abandoned some of the old traditions thats all

if i shall rank i then rank so:

1. Vampires
    2. Werewolves
    3. Spellcasters
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    Spellcasters
    TEEHEE!!! I just created a three way tie, didn't do it intentionally since I voted first and then saw the results. I just like witches the best in any shape or form (real, imagined, fictional, or in a game).

I kind of hate vampires and werewolves. They're so overdone and comical. I kind of see them as caricatures or something. The silly walk, the eating of pet poop, the extreme furry vibes. Bah.

Why no love for merefolk? They're my second favorite occult. I wish we could have a sea witch.

Will we ever get fairies?
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited September 2022
    Spellcasters
    Love my Spellcasters. I have the others, but none of them are my main sims.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    My favourite is no secret. I like magic and am very happy to have spellcasters in my game. I enjoy the whimsical and magical element they add. I adore the art nouveau furniture and really like glimmerbrook because the only buildings visible are on lots so buildings we can change. The magical realm looks really unique, if only sims could actually live there...

What you said.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Vampires are also well done and I had fun playing with them for a while but the whole drinking blood is just not my thing.

Also.
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    edited September 2022
    Werewolves
    I enjoy all of them, although recently werewolves and spellcasters are my favorites.

Werewolves are hands down the best, simply because they can become very powerful, but always have to deal with hardships like the fury and full moon. Sure, it can be somewhat less painful with perks, but they not always succeed (regain control, for example). So I like them because of the balance. Vampires can be immune to the sun and weaknesses can be soften with reward traits, like carefree deleting fear of the sun tense moodlet. Wizards are humans with magical powers and, except for occasional curse, they have no hardships. Werewolves will always have to deal with the fury and this aspect makes them superior imo.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Werewolves

Team Werebeast.

Oh I’m just biased. No occult does rampaging as well as werewolves. It’s just so easy to sympathize with these guys. 😂
    They have it pretty tough no matter what and for me that’s what makes gameplay more interesting.

Vampires are a close second due to them being….vampires, although they don’t rampage, so unfortunately this means I gotta dock a few points there. I wish non-occults were a lot more scared of vamps than they currently are.

I love the ability to customize the dark forms of both werebeasts and vampmonsters.
    I wish Spellcasters had dark forms too, like a beautiful young woman that can change into an old witch hag, or an ancient frail man that can transform into a powerful warlock. I don’t feel that the gameplay for spellcasters is challenging enough, but I no longer want a Sims 4 without them.

I like Aliens and Mermaids too, however, they deserve way more love than they’ve been given so far hint hint hint. HINT.

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Spellcasters
    When I play a Vampire or a Werewolf, that quality - that they are a vampire or a werewolf - is almost required to be a major part of that sim's story. Even if it's just how they manage being what they are along side whatever else is going on, a story with a Vampire or a Werewolf needs to address that vampire/werewolf lifestyle. I can't "play casual" with a vampire or a werewolf, because sooner or later the feeding or the rage is going to get in the way.

With spellcasters, I can play it casual - they learn scruberoo, maybe repario, and don't touch magic otherwise - or I can have a sim go deep and master both aspirations, have an extensive collection of Familiars and magical items, build an alchemical garden and otherwise go all in. Or I can play anywhere along the spectrum between hardly touching it and mastering the whole thing.

I've enjoyed playing with Werewolves too, and plan to experiment more with them in the future, but their stories are still fundamentally Werewolf Stories, while spellcasters can have stories were the spells are just... window dressing. Spellcasters give me the most flexibility in the stories I tell, and how intrusive their nature is in their life.

And for that reason, Spellcasters will continue to be my favorite, probably even after Faeries eventually come along.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    Werewolves
    I agree with that @DaWaterRat , some of my spellcasters take it seriously while others are just like, "that's the thing my family does on Friday nights and sometimes I go".

Werewolves are way better developed than spellcasters. I don't have vampires (yet) so can't judge that.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited September 2022
    Werewolves
    For me spellcasters are the worse of the three, but I've seen polls before and didn't expect them to fall behind from the other two. Just my personal opinion. I play a lot of non-occult sims in my rotation and when I play an occult I want it to feel different which vampires and werewolves give to me. Between them it's really tight, but I feel that while the need to drink and fulfilling it is a nice challenge it can also get a bit repetitive which is the reason for me choosing werewolves.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Werewolves
    Werewolves have gotten my vote. Before their inclusion, vampires have gotten the top spot for favorite occult. Not anymore with Werewolves now! And while I do love Spellcasters and happy to have RoM, I dunno, they just arent as great as they could have been. Especially since I hate the fact that spellcaster kids dont do anything with their magic heritage.

Werewolves have added a nice touch of much needed chaos in the game, and are in my opinion an absolute blast to play particularly if you've got mods to enhance them.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited September 2022
    Spellcasters
    Spell casters are the only ones I have really played, though I love the werewolf world, and I like the werewolf build buy and CAS as well. I do love the spell caster furniture, it really seems to fit them. I like some of the build buy for vampireds too, mostly the things that help a house look run down or abandoned.

I think that the spell casters are the most versatile of the 3. I can have them do full on Magic, doing potions and spells, or I can have them brewing up herbal stuff from OR, or I can have them doing paranormal stuff, or any amount of different combinations.

Having said this, I think they could have made spell casters a bit better to play. But, they are still my favorite. If it ever gets a refresh, one of the things I would like to see is them making the spell caster headquarters editable without cheats, all they need to do is make it where you have to have certain things there, and what amount of them. I would like to see some better spells as well, and a witches hat ( without a spider ) and a Dracula’s cape ( for vampires or witches ).

Also someone else mentioned being able to have a second form, that would be interesting too for some of my spell casters.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Spellcasters
    Spellcasters, mainly because having all spells/potions unlocked just makes life easier.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Vampires
    Judith heard this young lady voted for something other than Vampire....

KlXusLG.png
  • Options
    DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    Spellcasters
    I love Spellcasters so much! I have many of them in my save.
    The spells are so cool <3 Potions are fun :) Wizards seem to be a little OP, but it is fine for me :)
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Spellcasters
    My witches are always my favorite with vampires then werewolves coming in third. I think they were all well done, sometimes I wish my casters were a little more "witchy!" :D But I am very happy with all 3 occult life states, we just need more...think elves and faeries.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Werewolves
    I really like all three, but werewolves get the edge for me because all life stages are affected. Even though those younger than teen don't have werewolf forms, they still seem like little werewolves. I would love it if the younger vampires and spellcasters had similar tells. I know child spellcasters can have familiars, but it just isn't enough.
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    Vampires
    In Sims 3 witches were my favourite occult but in this game I think vampires are the better thought out and developed occult. Spellcasters are fun and work well when playing a sim who just uses practical magic to make freelancing from home easier but most of the spells just feel like cheats and aren't as interesting as Sims 3 Supernatural ones. Comparing packs from a build point of view I get far more use out of Vampires than Realm of Magic. End of the day I like both, don't have werewolves so can't comment on that pack.
  • Options
    Cassandra52182Cassandra52182 Posts: 525 Member
    Werewolves
    I like all of them pretty equally, but I figured werewolves were going to have a lower vote count so I chose them :D
    yqCsdo8.gif
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Vampires
    Always been a fan of Vampires so it was a pretty easy choice. I do love all 3 but if I had to list them and from top to least I really wouldn't be able to because they all 3 have great features. Though, for me...
    1.) Vampires
    2.)Spell Caster
    3.) Werewolves
    Honestly I love playing all 3.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,867 Member
    Spellcasters
    Wonder why so few votes? 🤔 Only 67.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    I didn't vote because I only own Vampires of the three, so I can't really compare. I actually bought Vampires for the build and CAS, so that I could have stuff for my goth humans. Wasn't interested in the Vampire game play. I had played with vampires in Sims 2 just once and was bored to tears. Not to mention I'm no fan of immortality. Had my fill of that with the original Sims game.

Then, I had a character fall in love with Caleb Vatore. When he moved in, I was originally planning to de-vamp him, but I started playing with him as a vampire and came to an astonishing discovery. Vampires in the Sims 4 are actually really fun! They are so well thought out and their strengths and weaknesses strongly impact the game play and make it more interesting. The fact that they can choose different paths allows them to be individuals.

When Realm of Magic was announced, I was intrigued, but then I saw some let's plays and decided they were pretty underwhelming.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Vampires
    I love my vamps. Spellcaster is second, mersims third. Haven't played with werewolves yet. They didn't interest me in TS3 either. And to be honest, and this might be an unpopular opinion, I don't like how they look in wereform.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,640 Member
    Spellcasters
    Honestly, this is tough call. I picked Spellcasters not because of the way the game handles magic (which is frankly horrible and which someone brilliantly described as "built in cheat codes) or even because of the world (which is blatant Harry Potter rip off) but because my favorite sims are spellcasters.

Being a Vampire or Werewolf defines a lot about the way you play the game, but I can play a spellcaster and sometimes legitimately forget my sim has magic. All of that is good and bad for lots of reasons.

In the end, I like spellcasters because I like the idea of what they ought to be rather than what they are.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls