Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The hardest decision

According to the Sims 4 main menu, "the hardest decision is Resume Game or New Game".

For me the hardest decision is which sim to pick when starting a new game. I have 97 households in my library plus close to 200 premades in the actual game (missing 2 packs). So yesterday I wanted to play a short living off the land/simple living challenge with an unskilled starter household. Of my three saves atm that new househould would fit best into the cottagecore one. That was the easy part.

But which sims to use... I sat and stared, sat and stared, unable to decide on my protagonists. I had almost decided on a household, when the urge to also include my picks' friends stuck, what would have resulted in at least three households getting added. So back to square one it was. In the end I chose George Cahill, Erwin Pries and the BFF. (George in my gameverse is Erwin's father and he also mentored the BFF in a Star Wars save, so now they form a unit in my mind.)

What is the hardest decision for you?

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    Hardest decision is whos point of view I should use to tell Bellas story so I keep getting stuck

like i could tell it from bellas point of view as she rediscovers her memories but that would be rather confusing

I could tell it from alexanders point of view but he does not know all

I could tell it from Cassandras point of view but she knows even less

I could tell it from Mortimers point of view but that compromises other points of view

heck I could even tell it from Don Lotharios view but then its less of a goth story more of a lothario story

I could tell it like all knowing watcher but wheres the mystery in that
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2022
    That is actually the hardest decision for me. I have an old save where I know that I have too many sims and most things have been done. So what I should do is start a new game and start over. But I don't really want to because I don't want to play everything again.

So I am as the game menu said, "stuck in Limbo"...
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    edited September 2022
    @Simmingal What about an all knowing watcher who enjoys surprises and likes to keep/spring secrets? A bit of a mischievous streak?
    And/Or simply include some bits from other points of view as required.

@EnkiSchmidt I can quite relate. I have restarted so many, many times looking for the ‘perfect’ Sim that I now have quite the library myself and can spend too much time thinking about who to take for another spin so-to-speak.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Honestly, I find it difficult to decide to go with a save that is a many times over restart. What would I benefit from yet another restart? Do I just stick it out with the save in progress? Do I ever go back to my Main Save? Or, as someone suggested with this latest restart, that I stick with it and make it my Main Save. So, after much gnashing of teeth, I finally made the determination to restart once more. I set the season in the previous restart to fall, since I was carrying forth the family I began with, ready for high school to commence. Problem is, things were dropped in the process IE albums released, but more importantly sixteen songs he had written. Since they were written via instruments, there are no hard copies of them. No sheet music, not cd, no nothing. The time will be hard to recapture once high school starts. I had no real choice but to restart, One. More. Time. However, I did decide this one would be my NEW Main Save. This freed me up a bit on the order of songs to have him license. However, I'm still married to the order of suits worn at the Accolades. Face/palm. I change out the clothing to help me keep track.

Sometimes, it's difficult to be me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    My hardest decision.

Today for drama, there's going to be a break up/job change/falling out/cheating/death/etc!

But to who? I don't want my sims to have bad times, so who do choose. Ah, it's so difficult! Someone has to have bad time!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Honestly, I find it difficult to decide to go with a save that is a many times over restart. What would I benefit from yet another restart? Do I just stick it out with the save in progress? Do I ever go back to my Main Save? Or, as someone suggested with this latest restart, that I stick with it and make it my Main Save. So, after much gnashing of teeth, I finally made the determination to restart once more. I set the season in the previous restart to fall, since I was carrying forth the family I began with, ready for high school to commence. Problem is, things were dropped in the process IE albums released, but more importantly sixteen songs he had written. Since they were written via instruments, there are no hard copies of them. No sheet music, not cd, no nothing. The time will be hard to recapture once high school starts. I had no real choice but to restart, One. More. Time. However, I did decide this one would be my NEW Main Save. This freed me up a bit on the order of songs to have him license. However, I'm still married to the order of suits worn at the Accolades. Face/palm. I change out the clothing to help me keep track.

Sometimes, it's difficult to be me.

And us @GalacticGal. Trying to keep up with all the restarts and various saves. 😄
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    My challenge is not starting a new game for the 100th time.
    I still play my other saves, but I get a new idea, and don't want to ruin an existing save with my ideas.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Everyone who replied that you find not starting another new save/deciding between an old and a new save hard, I do understand that!
    I'm a serial restarter myself, but because setting up yet another parallel universe is so much fun I don't even try to stop myself from acting on the temptation.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    Lately for me, the hardest was, do I just uninstall or keep on struggling with a mostly broken game due to the updates.

I did persevere though and finally got the game stable again.

Three days of mod testing, to find the one small file that had a no longer used function that was totally breaking the UI so the game couldn't start or even be stopped other than Task Manager.
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    My hardest decision is if it's safe to install and play my last game again after that last update fiasco with all the bugs. I don't want the game deleting my favorite characters again.

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    It starts for me in CAS. It often takes me 20 minutes or more, just to set a new sims first everyday outfit. All together I usually spend over an hour trying different outfits, makeup, and jewelry combinations just to give them one outfit in each category. It would take me all day to give them 5 outfits in each category.

I frequently have a hard time deciding where I want them to live, which world and house. I get to the choose a world screen and freeze. Like you I suffer from restart-itis, and those two questions have been the reason for a restart. I can't make up my mind so I get frustrated and start all over.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    My hardest decision is picking an aspiration. Sometimes it's hard to find a good fit.
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    For me it’s starting over or sticking with the current save. I have created about 9.6 million saves over the past 8 years. I’m currently setting up yet another save 🙄 because apparently I like torture. I have replaced the lots in 9 worlds (I own every single pack). My goal is to complete 1 per day for the next 2 weeks, although I plan on taking 2 days for Windenburg.

I’m not sure why I can’t stick to a save. Maybe it’s because I don’t get attached to my sims anymore. The last family I got attached to was made 5-6 years ago, I don’t want to play them because I don’t want to age the kids (quadruplets) up but I also don’t want to keep them at the child stage 🤦🏽‍♀️

I’d really like to stick to a save for longer than 3-4 weeks. I think once my save is set up, I’ll play rotationally to do makeovers, advance lives/stories, stories and add in some of my own sims.

I’m ready to fall in love with a save, starting over every other week is tiresome.
  • LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited September 2022
    For me it's moving out of Forgotten Hollow to a bigger lot elsewhere or starting a new save. My sim has 2 of her kids buried in the front yard, the household is full again after 1 son got married and had a grandson and another son was abducted and had a granddaughter. The dog was deleted when I took the family into cas to change the granddaughters alien diaper when both babies became toddlers. The 2 ghosts are still club members, moving to a new save would delete them but I do miss seeing Mortimer and some of the old school sims around town alot...and the dog, Lol. I forgot to mention I play vampires so all the old townies are long dead and this is my first legacy!!! :D<3
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Hardest for me is letting my Sims die or making them die for story purposes. My challenge Sim, Essa, was supposed to die of old age last year, but I just couldn't do it. So I made she and her husband vampires instead. The last time I let any of my Sims die was 4 years ago in the Apocalypse Challenge. For story purposes, I made my current Sim's wife die by Pufferfish Nigiri. I'm having a hard time dealing with it since the couple had just gotten married and have been together almost all this year. So, yeah...that's the toughest for me. :/
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2022
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hardest for me is letting my Sims die or making them die for story purposes. My challenge Sim, Essa, was supposed to die of old age last year, but I just couldn't do it. So I made she and her husband vampires instead. The last time I let any of my Sims die was 4 years ago in the Apocalypse Challenge. For story purposes, I made my current Sim's wife die by Pufferfish Nigiri. I'm having a hard time dealing with it since the couple had just gotten married and have been together almost all this year. So, yeah...that's the toughest for me. :/

@Karababy52 This! So much this. While I might not have as heavy storytelling (I often let my sims autonomy to direct me) the overall idea is still there. Ever since TS2 I have been bad letting go of sims I grow attached to and this sudden attachment may come totally unexpected too. Abigail is a good example in TS4. I didn't really care that much for her when she was an YA/Adult (thanks to me failing forming a good roleplay) and was actually fully planning and wanting for her to go through the life stages (first one to show me the death by old age) but when she became an Elder something really endeared her to me and I just couldn't let her die. She still isn't "the favorite" but for some reason it's still really hard for me to let her die.

I have always had this tendency to preserve favorites by turning them vampires (or other immortal occults) because they are an immersive way for me to do so. BUT at the same time I roleplay heavily and also don't want vampires or other occults to become too common because they'd then lose what makes them fun/special for me in the first place. Sometimes it just doesn't fit the character at all. Like Abigail. Her husband is a vampire and could turn her whenever without problems but I just don't see that happening considering her character and the way I like to play her (and while her husband might have the evil trait he isn't enough of a jerk to force something like this on his loved ones).
    So I guess for now Abigail will just hang around till I'm ready.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    My hardest decision.

Today for drama, there's going to be a break up/job change/falling out/cheating/death/etc!

But to who? I don't want my sims to have bad times, so who do choose. Ah, it's so difficult! Someone has to have bad time!

Roll the dice. Give each Sim or Sim/couple, either odds or even. Or a range of numbers and then roll the dice and see who gets it! Personally, I'm not finding it necessary, lately, to conjure up some drama. The game seems to do it for me. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    My hardest decision.

Roll the dice. Give each Sim or Sim/couple, either odds or even. Or a range of numbers and then roll the dice and see who gets it! Personally, I'm not finding it necessary, lately, to conjure up some drama. The game seems to do it for me. :open_mouth:

Yes, but I'd either need a lot of dices or a random number generator program for my 100+ households.
    @EgonVM @GalacticGal In that case I would take the easy way out. Whichever household is my least favorite would have the bad day. There's probably a good reason why they aren't a favorite. I have two in my big rotation that aren't sympathetic characters, and one has no redeeming value. If drama comes knocking I give it one of their addresses.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    @EgonVM @GalacticGal In that case I would take the easy way out. Whichever household is my least favorite would have the bad day. There's probably a good reason why they aren't a favorite. I have two in my big rotation that aren't sympathetic characters, and one has no redeeming value. If drama comes knocking I give it one of their addresses.

I'm a bad sims dad, I tend to give drama to my favorites (minus death, of course, I want my sims to suffer, not myself, so killing sims is extremely rare). Wasn't there even a saying about superheroes along the lines of "If misfortune befalls you, that only means you are popular with the reader. Popular heroes suffer misfortune. Unpopular heroes don't suffer, their books get canceled."?

I'm a bad sims dad, I tend to give drama to my favorites (minus death, of course, I want my sims to suffer, not myself, so killing sims is extremely rare). Wasn't there even a saying about superheroes along the lines of "If misfortune befalls you, that only means you are popular with the reader. Popular heroes suffer misfortune. Unpopular heroes don't suffer, their books get canceled."?

I see myself as their (mostly)benevolent Goddess. I want to see my favored sims be happy and prosper. I send bad days to smite those sims who have displeased me. Bad days for my favored ones are usually something like, a failed audition, a book or work of art that wasn't very good, or it's a broken heart from a romance that wasn't meant to be. In extreme cases they get smited upside their heads. I'd have you ask Simeon what happens when you irritate me but, he's no longer around to answer...I guess you really wouldn't have had to ask, I demonstrated what happens to sims who really displease me.😉
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Between these two, starting a new game and resuming a game, for me most difficult is starting a new game. Resuming is no problem. I now have 2 saved games that I alternate between but starting a new save can be a chore for me because before I play I HAVE TO put down community lots that I prefer to use and that can take some quite a long time especially in Newcrest. That is mostly due to my problem with attention span and the impatience that comes with it. I am seriously considering creating a save game ready with all the community and residential housings that I like to have and add to each new saved game. That way I can just start a new game without the fuss that comes with it.

But my lack of attention span these days is the main cause that the only saves that I can really concentrate on is my very old one from 2018 and my newer one I started...Either beginning this year or end of last year and of course I rotate with gazillion households in both. The reason my second saved game has so far helded my attention is because I have been seeding that game with my 'own Sims' (mostly townie saving and households that the game has moved in into unoccupied houses). These Sims, I give a past, present and a sketchy future that is malleable. If I manage to create a household that I like and is interesting to me, they are a keeper and I find it can concentrate better on them.

That being said, I have no compunction over killing Sims. If Sim is uninteresting or is in the way they will meet Mr. or Miss/Mrs Death. If a Sim dies accidentally I won't have any Sims interfere on their behalf. I HAVE had Sims beg for mercy for their friend/lover/family member of course especially if I find it is not their time but...if I have a eureka moment when they flop onto the floor and discover that their death might give off some good storytelling or a changes I had not foreseen before, then my remaining Sims will get a nice urn on the mantelpiece.

• FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    The hardest decision to me is which of my sim kids is going to be the heir and stay with mom and dad while the others move out. It's always so hard for me to let the "extra" kids go. I don't play rotationally, I have tried several times and it's just not for me. The kids who move out always stay in touch, but I miss playing them every day and when they have kids, it nags me that those kids will not have me to raise them LOL.

If I could just learn to like playing a rotational game, this problem wouldn't exist. :'(
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 907 Member
    I can never decide if I want to build, or play.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    The hardest decision to me is which of my sim kids is going to be the heir and stay with mom and dad while the others move out. It's always so hard for me to let the "extra" kids go. I don't play rotationally, I have tried several times and it's just not for me. The kids who move out always stay in touch, but I miss playing them every day and when they have kids, it nags me that those kids will not have me to raise them LOL.

If I could just learn to like playing a rotational game, this problem wouldn't exist. :'(

Being a legacy player, I feel that. A lot. Sometimes I would like to keep EVERYONE but having a household with 10 sims really taxes my system. And everything lags.

I try to keep track of everyone but after a few generations it becomes impossible.