Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Divorced and Widowed Sims

If you've ever had your married sims divorce how do you handle child custody?

If your Sim is a widow who cares for the kids while you work?

Lots of variables, but here is how I do it.

Both parents alive
• Both parents are working past the time frame that kids are in school or weekends, hire a babysitter.
• Parent A is working and the other has the day off drop off kids at Parent B house pick them up after work.
• Kids alternate weekends with each parent by traveling and staying friday-sunday.

Widowed Parent
• Have your support system family members, friends take care of child at their house (they won't leave mid shift)
• Everyone is busy, babysitter

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Interesting, it depends on my sims really and their situation.
    I’ve had a single mother hire a babysitter for her toddler, and one time they made the kid flaming food to eat, so much fire coming off the plate! So she stopped hiring a babysitter and sent them to daycare. I pretend daycare is expensive so that’s why she didn’t send them before.
    When there are multiple children, the one who becomes teen first is old enough to take care of the others.
    I’ve had a toddler be raised by their sibling because both parents died from old age. (They rolled a wish to try for baby while adults so I went for it)
    When parents divorced the parent who didn’t cause the reason for divorce kept the kids most days. The other had them for weekends.
    I haven’t played with widowed sims now that I think of it 😳 I don’t know how they would handle it
  • MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    I play rotationally between a lot of sims so it gets pretty chaotic, but it does mean I have a lot of different plots going on and a lot of different family dynamics.

When I have a child with split up parents I *usually* alternate households every rotation. So during one rotation they'd be with Parent 1, and then in the next I'd put them into their other parent's household for the week.

I've had a couple breakup that had a toddler. They weren't exactly a healthy relationship and things were definitely messy... but for them the father ended up getting more or less full custody since he was more financially stable at the time (but that was about all the stability he offered. He was kind of awful... which was the whole point).

I've also had a widower. His wife died of hysteria on New Year's Eve. Please watch your cheerful family-oriented sims when they're hanging out with family during a holidays. They might get too happy and die.

She died shortly after giving birth to their fifth child, so Mr. Widower had A LOT on his plate. He was also grieving pretty hard and kind of retreated into himself for a while so he wasn't the most present parent... which was so sad to play through because he's such a great dad ~normally.

Fortunately his eldest two were teens so they really picked up the slack and practically raised their 3 younger siblings, including their baby sister that was still an object when her mom died.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited August 2022
    With parents who are not together for whatever reason, I use the club system from Get Together. Set up what I want to happen with the other parent as the only other member (invite only), to what they do. Is easier when the child is a toddler or older, that way they can also interact with their parent. Then when I want the ex to show up to have parent time, it is as easy as just starting a club meeting. While that was going I would have very little interaction with the parents themselves, unless they were on friendly terms. While the ex is over I would have my sim do other stuff.

As far as a widowed or single parent, I will just have another sim move in (usually created by myself), and make that sim the live-in nanny. Or if I hired a babysitter, and that sitter was not attached to any other family in the game, and that sitter did an outstanding job caring for the child, I would move them in with the family. At the time I had a mod that allowed the game to use elderly sims as babysitters.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    If you've ever had your married sims divorce how do you handle child custody?

My sims never divorce
    If your Sim is a widow who cares for the kids while you work?

I move a new sim in for the purpose.

• RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Thinking about it I don't do much, when my sims break up,story or otherwise the one that messed up is moved out and kids stay with the other parent. If the game didn't force a nanny nobody would be there my kids are fairly independent when they need to be but usually, there is a step-parent sooner or later.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png