Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your favorite trait to give as a personality flaw?

So you want a sim to have a flaw in their personality. What trait do you choose and why?

What's your favorite trait to give as a personality flaw? 102 votes

Evil
7%
Isb917alanmichael1Sorak4BMSORedShoe7BlueR0seVikArca 8 votes
Mean
3%
SikoahGraceTheSpotted_CEnkiSchmidtSheepiling 4 votes
Jealous
7%
BabykittyjadeblueyblueskyWinifred_WillowlazyjuniperGeralt_ofRiviaSeekFreedom96Sapphire769mightysprite 8 votes
Kleptomaniac
12%
rudolphaColorist40mitchiebanjophantasmkissaujinehsillyangel0906PiplowSERVERFRACatzillaIsharellSansannaImmyQuokkaMrKidRock 13 votes
Recycle Disciple
1%
bshag4lvmueller_lite 2 votes
Hates Children
1%
EdoubleGoodiescatmando830 2 votes
Noncommittal
4%
NighteyesCabelle1863DevSims91shobonteaReneHollyDesigns 5 votes
High-maintenance
18%
CK213SnuffyBucketmildredalienLustianiciaHarukotyanDaravibenson2006SelinaKylesAineBreazonaHopeyStarrjoRN1414grassharpsarabeth2984telemwillL33tP33tNWElisetomHavenRoseHeathertibb 19 votes
Self-absorbed
12%
auroraael14JueJueStrangerthanfreindlylolEcho17121PinkSugar81PlumbobCrossingLoriTSpReading_CorsairChadSims2JC1979UniqueKhaosZoomerGirl 13 votes
Other (please elaborate)
27%
GalacticGalgrevilliabluefriendlysimmersgoodcakebaker62SimplyJenduhboy2u2simsinmysleepSweetieWright_84Cynel1annaliese39CAPTAIN_NXR7cyncieMDianaSimsmusteniHomeMamaDaniRose2143ThriorLouise_G0325TTNsimmerRouensims 28 votes

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited August 2022
    Other (please elaborate)
    Does paranoid count as a flaw :lol: I just love how they're all jumpy cause mood tbh

I also like all the other ones
    tbh I hardly ever give my sim positive traits if i can think of even one negative trait to add i will makes them more interesting

some i use less though like kleptomaniac because i play multiple households and its like idk if they will steal stuff while I'm not playing them

and also maybe mean because I find it strange to be mean for no particular reason unless you are well, evil which is another trait i use tons of so i often just end up clicking evil instead of mean strangely

that said I play premades most of the time so i don't really get these traits often without my own input i kinda wish they'd make more problematic characters

I'm so bored of the cheerful creatives that I have started to interpret cheerful as creepy instead like in that "just a cheerful gal next door do not worry about those alarming smiles out of situation or talk about mother

well it might just be me being very gloomy myself so i find cheerfulness little strange at times too :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    Following this with much interest. I don’t find evil does that much, I quite like non committal. Haven’t yet played hates children because goes against my own RL values and lifestyle too much (I’m a teacher…). I enjoyed my high maintenance (while they lasted, serial restarter here). That may be my favourite.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    I like all of them, but I randomize the traits. Sometimes they don't get any "bad" traits and sometimes they get many.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    So far, I've used clumsy and erratic. Childish is another one I use. A good character requires a bad trait, but it doesn't have to be irredeemable. Just something they may have to overcome. Basically, a flaw.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited August 2022
    Mean
    Or rather, it USED to be Mean. In the patch where they "improved" traits, both Mean and Goofball got overtuned to a comical degree, so I replaced these with nice ones. That still leaves me free to play my sims as mean as I want, just the game isn't allowed to anymore. Encountering the former troublemakers at venues isn't the same anymore, but it's better than a mean sim with absolutely no situational awareness.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,809 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    I use active and neat occasionally as flaws. I encourage my sims to be active and to keep their homes clean, but I will have some of them go overboard. I use them as that sim's OCD. Noncommittal is the only trait on that list I use and I only use it on one or two sims that I rarely play. My real world life is full of people I can't get away from that pull from a lot of the traits on that list. I don't want reminders of them in my escapism. They are what I'm trying to escape from.😁
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Kleptomaniac
    Klepto is the most fun. In previous Sims games, after you stole something you could click it and send it back where you got it. You might also find something in your inventory and have no idea where you got it, then find it labeled "Jupiter Belle's teddy bear" or something. Whoops.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    If they aren’t meant to be deviant or evil, I use Snob, Childish or Erratic to give them some character.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2022
    Jealous
    It "use" to be jealous before it got nerfed 😭😭😭😭
    Now that it does nothing I still select it just for old time memories sake.
    I try ti use a variety of all the negatives for most sims so it's hard to choose. Paranoid, mean, evil and high mantainence are some of my favorites though.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    Other (please elaborate)

Erratic is my favorite, though, to be honest I don ‘t find it to be a flaw at all. I had never used it much but a while back, the sim I was playing with hooked up with a librarian from Windenburg who had the trait and she was SO endearing and fun that it’s my new favorite trait. But since I don’t really see it as a flaw, I guess I should have said Jealous.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • HomeMamaHomeMama Posts: 484 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    Clumsy!! I think they're adorable.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    High-maintenance
    High maintenance makes sims angry over stupid things! They can get “butt hurt” because the seat isn’t comfy enough. Or if the sun is being too much they’ll get angry. My sim is constantly chipping their nails too 😂
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Recycle Disciple
    I chose recycle discipline, and I didn't even know it was a negative trait, lol. Many of my sims have this trait as I do love Eco Lifestyle. <3

I also would've loved to check mean, it's just so watered down and senseless I hardly ever choose it anymore. Mean sims who have many friends...I don't think so.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Jealous
    These are both fun and insightful to read :)

@Simmingal I forgot Paranoid since I don't have that pack. I see how it could be negative.
    @bshag4lv I guess it depends on how you play the Recycle Disciple. I don't like how they swipe things autonomously if they haven't recycled in a while. It's a lot like kleptomaniac in that way.

I chose Jealous since it makes a sim feel flawed in a way you can't look past in gameplay. It really made an impression on me when in my game Akira and Miko were together in my game, Akira caught Miko flirting with someone else, came at her and hit her in the face. It ended up being a big plot point. Even now that he's married to a wife who is a much better partner for him, there are still issues, like they can't hang out with friends as a couple because Akira blows up. On the other hand he's the only sim who has ever expressed to a spouse that the amount of time they spend on childcare makes him miss the spouse. Which is real, and actually kind of sweet.
    I feel like it's easy to look past some of the "flaw" traits like Evil and Mean in gameplay, but there's no getting around the Jealous reactions unless you mod them out or something.
    @Babykittyjade Goodness, I wonder what it was like before the nerf.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    Honestly, I don't know if I consider it a personality flaw, but my favorite is erratic. They're just delightfully different and see the world in a wholly unique way. Sometimes they are frustrating. (like when they insist on wearing their winter wear in the middle of a super hot summer and nearly die on the lawn, or wear their bathing suits in 2 feet of snow.) But its worth the work of keeping them alive during their erratic spells just to see what new thing they will come up with next.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    Other (please elaborate)
    I tend to lean toward childish or clumsy, even though I don't always see them as flaws. I also use loner a lot, again not always a flaw.

I rarely, if ever, use the hates children trait. I'm a family player so that doesn't fit in with my playstyle. Unless I play an evil stepmother/father household one day.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited August 2022
    Other (please elaborate)
    I don't really think of them as flaws for me they're just characters that show certain personality. It's part of them, don't know, I'm just really not into the flaw thinking and categories. For example I absolutely love mean trait, but then again outgoing can be annoying as then the sim requires plenty of socialization. So from my player perspective outgoing is more of a flaw than mean.
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    High-maintenance
    In my experience, high maintenance has the most impact on gameplay. They are constantly angry and/or tense about the most ridiculous things and then are pretty much unable to accomplish their normal tasks. I've had two die of cardiac explosions since implementing this trait. While it might be a tad overboard, it does make navigating their lives more interesting.
    Jealous
    That's interesting @grassharp . I wish hot-headed had that much of an impact honestly. I don't have Spa Day-- what about high maintenance makes it more consequential than hot-headed? Are the angry moodlets stronger than +1, or do they stack?
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    High-maintenance
    That's interesting @grassharp . I wish hot-headed had that much of an impact honestly. I don't have Spa Day-- what about high maintenance makes it more consequential than hot-headed? Are the angry moodlets stronger than +1, or do they stack?

I'm not at home and able to access the game right now--but when I am, I'll check out how the moodlets stack and let you know! :)
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2022
    Other (please elaborate)
    I do have a major tendency to give each of my sims some sort of flaws, whether via traits, gameplay or other means (like a spellcaster curse I refuse to get rid of), but I can't really name a favorite. I just kinda pick whatever I find fitting or interesting for the character, nor do I like to repeat certain ones too many times and instead explore other combinations. Though it does seem like my evil and mean ones kinda manage to grab my attention a lot. Perhaps with these characters it's the combination of traits and roleplay but I just find them funny... although they can occasionally get frustrating too because of my mods which make them really aggressive. Kinda became a must to also get a mod which tones down their shenanigans once they actually like a sim enough. Otherwise (unless they have some other traits or rep or such to balance it out) they'd just manage to sabotage all their relationships lol.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited August 2022
    High-maintenance
    From the wikia:

High maintenance sims will sometimes get random negative moodlets throughout the day. These include:

"Really Weird Dream", a tense moodlet received after waking up
    "Poseidon's Kiss", an uncomfortable +3 moodlet received after using the toilet
    "Hangnail", a tense +3 moodlet
    "Worst Day Ever", an angry +5 moodlet received when their needs are not met
    "Irrational Hatred For The Sun", an angry moodlet
    "But hurt", an uncomfortable +3 moodlet received after sitting somewhere
    "Irritated Skin", an uncomfortable +3 moodlet received after using a facial mask

My sim has also died from cardiac explosion, honestly it’s annoying them being angry but I like the challenge of getting their mood better. Not sure if it’s stacks up, I haven’t noticed before. But my sim is constantly getting worst day ever, hatred for sun, hangnail and but hurt.
    How is but hurt censored
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Evil
    I love the Evil trait and use it very often.
    Jealous
    @SelinaKyles Dang. It's not that I want Jesminder or Diego to die or anything, but how come the supposedly "hot-headed" characters only ever get +1 angry, while high-maintenance gets +3 or +5? Makes hot-headed seem mild-mannered by comparison
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Recycle Disciple
    I used the high maintenance trait, once. I grew tired of constant complaining, broke a nail, not comfy enough, gah! No more, lol.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.