Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University classes too close together

ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
Why are things never thought out? The most classes you can take at once is four. So why not have classes at 8, 10, 12, and 2 since they are an hour and a half long. Instead, I have a class that ends at 9:25 and one that starts at 9:30 the same day, across the quad. Impossible to be on time. And the classes are only twice a week, so you had plenty of days to play with! 8 time slots in total with a half hour in between! Either that, or class could have been an hour long; I mean, what difference does it make for a rabbit hole? I would have scheduled every elective class at the same time, probably the last time slot on the second day, since you can only take one at a time. Never ceases to amaze me. Yeah, it won't make a difference in the long run, but it again shows the lack of play testing and tweaking and general caring about the gameplay experience.

Comments

• StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    @ravynwolvf what I do is: as soon as sim reappears after first class I pause tha game & save. Then I pan the camera over to the other building, do shift plus click on the ground & select the "teleport here" option; if you don't see a teleport here option try shift-clicking on a different part of the ground. The reason I save the game is in case I mess up & need to reload.

Hope this helps.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I tried that with regular zen teleport, which isn't as quick as the one you're using. Still late. Your way would likely get the job done, and I may use it if it happens again before he graduates. He actually failed that class, and that's the first time I've had it happen with any sim. Another problem though is I have a hard time keeping track of what building he's supposed to even go to. There are tooltip pop-ups for way too much in the game, but nothing for what classes are in what buildings. Another in my epic novel of pet peeves.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,891 Member
    Hey! I just recently 're-activated' a sim whom i didnt wanna delete, but i stop playing her because she failed a class like that and got suspended the next term. Now since that happened, i think the same like you, what building in what class its a problem.... But I found the term i spent on campus in the dorms made it alot easier though, my sim get to class early and was always on time. I only take 2-3 courses per semester now. It extend the experience a little... also i thought of dropping out completely and starting over to get perfect grade but she was 4 creds from grad so... in the end she got a B+ !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • GalisilGalisil Posts: 15 New Member
    Whether or not the classes are scheduled too close together, the university grounds are too inconvenient for sims to move about. It's even worse when sims are cycling. They would ride a short distance to the stairs, dismount, take a considerable amount of time up / down the stairs, and hop on to the bicycle again, only to find another flight of stairs shortly in front. And on top of these, you just have to hope that no glitches occur, like sometimes sims fail to pick up their bicycles before going onto the stairs, and have to go back to get them. The only solution seems to be not taking too many classes in a term. I stopped putting sims through university just because of this issue.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,891 Member
    lol the bicycle, thats a whole nother can of worms...
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I like that some classes are very close. They could not benefit much from a 30 minutes break anyway, so it's better having that time added to their freetime later in the day. I normally plan their day in advance, preparing schoolwork etc the day before. I normally follow 6 students in a residential lot dorm, so I keep note of their schedule and rather pause the game often to stay in control. Besides, how classes are spread will vary between degrees. Some days feel quite spread while others are rather packed. I never have more than 3 classes per term though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    I like that some classes are very close. They could not benefit much from a 30 minutes break anyway, so it's better having that time added to their freetime later in the day. I normally plan their day in advance, preparing schoolwork etc the day before. I normally follow 6 students in a residential lot dorm, so I keep note of their schedule and rather pause the game often to stay in control. Besides, how classes are spread will vary between degrees. Some days feel quite spread while others are rather packed. I never have more than 3 classes per term though.

Well, they'd benefit from having time to walk from one class to the other, lol. 5 minutes from one side of Britechester to the other can't be done without cheats.
    Galisil wrote: »
    Whether or not the classes are scheduled too close together, the university grounds are too inconvenient for sims to move about. It's even worse when sims are cycling. They would ride a short distance to the stairs, dismount, take a considerable amount of time up / down the stairs, and hop on to the bicycle again, only to find another flight of stairs shortly in front. And on top of these, you just have to hope that no glitches occur, like sometimes sims fail to pick up their bicycles before going onto the stairs, and have to go back to get them. The only solution seems to be not taking too many classes in a term. I stopped putting sims through university just because of this issue.

Zen teleporting is one of the most time saving things in the entire game.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Does your sim take an elective? And is that course in the other building?
    My sims never take electives and they always have all classes in the same building. Only the presentation is sometimes in the other building, but you can choose when to do that, so that's easier to plan.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    Does your sim take an elective? And is that course in the other building?
    My sims never take electives and they always have all classes in the same building. Only the presentation is sometimes in the other building, but you can choose when to do that, so that's easier to plan.

That could be it. I like taking electives and getting a different skill gain. But the distance and timing are probably the downside.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,955 Member
    Most of my Sims who’ve gone to university have lived off campus, so they come home from class and have to leave again almost immediately. Usually that’s because they’re siblings, one at UBrite and the other at Foxbury, and you can’t have them both live in the same dormitory.
    I have had some Sims live on campus though, and I don’t remember their experiences exactly. I probably did get a little annoyed with them being late, but they all graduated with good grades in the end so I wasn’t too bothered overall.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    I remember that happening with one of my sims when I played on campus and I used the Teleport Here cheat to get around the problem. The penalty to your grade for being late even one time is harsh!
  • RoseQuartzRoseQuartz Posts: 164 Member
    College classes too close together - sounds like real life to me. :D

If my sim is living on campus, I send them out on the quad early so they're nearly to their first class already.