Never met your online BFF but want to? Share your story with us here for a chance to win an all-expenses paid, meet up with your BFF IRL.
The Sims 4 will be FREE to download across PC/Mac & Consoles on October 18! More info here: here
September 23rd- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

Worst Build-Mode Sims Game?

2...Next

Comments

• DTM_DerrickDTM_Derrick Posts: 26 Member
    Sims 4
    > @icmnfrsh said:
    > Sims 1:
    > - Had no foundations
    > - Only allowed up to 2 floors
    > - Only let you control the pitch and tiling of roofs. Otherwise it's forced auto-roofing
    > - Didn't allow complex structures like roof dormers that you see in a lot of suburban American homes
    > - Didn't allow doors or windows on diagonal walls
    >
    > And so on. It's not even a contest

Part of me misses that simplicity though. By Sims 4, I am having a hard time finding the building creativity I had in the previous versions. But I did also just recently get back into 4, so maybe there's still hope! Haha.
    mp2itdbfrjnh.gif
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 43 Member
    Sims 1
    Look, I play The Sims 2, and I strongly feel that sims 2 is hands down the best sim game (and I have played all of them), but when it comes to building it’s obvious to me at least that each game has gotten progressively better at build specifically (too bad that can’t be said for the gameplay itself and other aspects of the game). Sims 4 without a doubt has the best build mode. Sims 3 second best, Sims 2 second to last and Sims 1 without a doubt worst.

The people who state any other than 1, have you even played the original? I mean sims 1 deserves all the credit, it was a revolutionary game at its time, but come on. Building was a nightmare compared to later sims games. If sims 4 deserves credit for anything it’s for the build mode. With sims 2 you can build absolutely beautiful builds, but it takes forever and you have to do everything manually and even when you have the most beautiful building in sims 2 it still doesn’t compare to the graphics of sims 4.

Now, for everything _but_ build mode it’s another story, but at build sims 4 wins, no contest.

I also notice many of the people who listed sims 4 as worst only complained about sims 4, but didn’t list why older sims games was supposedly better. Likely because they weren’t, and they simply haven’t played them. Just my guess, because if you actually played sims 1 there is no way you would think it has better build mode than sims 4.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,672 Member
    Sims 1
    > icmnfrsh said:
    > Sims 1:
    > - Had no foundations
    > - Only allowed up to 2 floors
    > - Only let you control the pitch and tiling of roofs. Otherwise it's forced auto-roofing
    > - Didn't allow complex structures like roof dormers that you see in a lot of suburban American homes
    > - Didn't allow doors or windows on diagonal walls
    >
    > And so on. It's not even a contest

Part of me misses that simplicity though. By Sims 4, I am having a hard time finding the building creativity I had in the previous versions. But I did also just recently get back into 4, so maybe there's still hope! Haha.

For all its faults, Sims 4 does have a pretty decent build mode. I'm sure you'll find lots of options to inspire you
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 13,500 Member
    edited August 9
    About TS2, by using cheat codes it could extend the possibilities :

boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
    boolprop constrainFloorElevation false
    boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false
    setHighestAllowedLevel 16
    setQuarterTilePlacement on

constrainFloorElevation allowed to change the shape of the room floor, it's impossible in TS3 and TS4.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited August 9
    Sims 1
    Kbobster wrote: »
    Perhaps, I should rephrase, which one is more annoying to build with. I think SIms 4 build options are the best. The flexibility in options. The execution is the most annoying for me. My Sims 4 houses do look better than Sims 3 with all the details I can add. However, the actual mechanics of the build mode is frustrating. For example, if you had Sims 4 options with Sims 3 mechanics, Sims 3 would be better. If Sims 3 had the same features as Sims 4, I could build the same house in less time, is what I mean.
    duriankind wrote: »
    Sims 1, hands down, lol. For me it's not even close. In my opinion each game has been progressively improving on build mode, with sims 4 being the best by far. Which is why it boggles my mind that it's currently winning as the worst. To be fair, I never considered myself much of a builder in the previous installments and I've done the most experimenting/building in the sims 4. However, I did still dabble in building in all previous installments and I think that the sims 4 build mode is the least restrictive overall. I would say the only aspect of build mode that I miss from previous games is the auto roof function. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps, I should rephrase, which one is more annoying to build with. I think Sims 4 build options are the best. The flexibility in options. The execution is the most annoying for me. My Sims 4 houses do look better than Sims 3 with all the details I can add. However, the actual mechanics of the build mode is frustrating. For example, if you had Sims 4 options with Sims 3 mechanics, Sims 3 would be better. If Sims 3 had the same features as Sims 4, I could build the same house in less time (well, I might take some time with the glorious color wheel/swatches, but that doesn't count)

I still say The Sims (2000) was the worst build mode - although building was super easy...and its where I learned to build a box or a rectangle and put a roof over it...there WERE no basements. There WERE no friezes. There WERE NO foundations. Until Unleashed came along, there were no community lots, either. No elevators came with the game - elevators were added by a modder. No more than 2 floors could be added to any lots: the ground floor, and the floor above that. Sims 4 was the first and only to date to offer working ladders.

The only thing TS1 really has over TS4 in terms of build mode, not including mods and custom content in either game, is spiral stairs. All the other games except Sims 4 have spiral stairs. I am still looking for a TS4 mod that adds them back in as more than a decoration. Also, a mod that has the elevator doors shut BEFORE the Sims are teleported downstairs. Even the first TS1 elevator mod by KillerSims had the doors shut first.

As far as the ease of creating custom content build/buy mode stuff, Sims 1 hands down was the best game: it was not truly 3D, so all you had to do is map the object to a game object, then basically put in 4 pictures of the object facing 4 different directions, one for each direction. Color wheel did NOT exist in Sims 1 or Sims 2. There was also a third party program for Sims 1 and Sims 2 that let you enable items for community lots, vacation lots, AND residential lots. Sims 3 took that away but Sims 4 has brought that back as part of the game itself. :smiley:

Sims 2 had foundations and basements, and up to 5 floors above ground level plus basements, but I found those nearly impossible to use basements with lots that had foundations. Same with Sims 3. I always use the basement tool on Sims 4.

Sims 3 had a HUGE advantage with the color wheel and create a pattern. Sims 3 let you build more than one level down, but compromised by not letting you build more than 3 levels up.

The most annoying thing I find about Sims 4 in build mode is actually the fact that you cannot put floor down then build the walls around it on upper stories. All the previous games you could do that. We built treehouses (sort of) and UFOs using that technique: add the support or walls, make the upper story, add walls, then delete the walls on the first story.
    At least now with the Fame EP for Sims 4 comes invisible walls, so you can at least draw rooms then use the invisible walls.
    (Now they just need transparent/glass floors like Caro created for Sims 1: not invisible completely, but clear, like the glass roofs they already have in-game.) There might also be some decorative options and storytelling options if invisible floors were actually added (high-wire act anyone?)
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 43 Member
    Sims 1
    “Until Unleashed came along, there were no community lots, either.”

Just noting: community lots came in Hot Date actually. Other than that I completely agree with you.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 777 Member
    Never played sims 1, but i based my opinion subjectively on which game i enjoy building with the least, and sims 2 comes here. It is just that 3 and 4 each have unique features that make them more fun to create buildings.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Sims 4
    I did find this question hard as TS3 was the first game I played with build mode.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Sims 1
    This is one of those cases where I'm going to have to say. The Sims 1 despite being the original classic has been built on better since in every game.

I mean, the Sims 1 on the PS2 didn't even have multi floor houses or the ability to choose your roof tiles. The pools were preset shapes like an I only. Still. It gave us our foundations for the future.
    0hQzWTL.png
  • vulpdenvulpden Posts: 16 Member
    Sims 1
    Sims 1 100%. It was great for the time, but compared to the others... it's obvously terrible. My favourite is probably The Sims 4 but only for the interface. The modern graphics, the smooth camera rotation, easy to move walls and foundations etc, the features are neat. But then again, TS4 furnishings are a little lackluster unless you have a lot of packs or CC. Sims 3 is very close second just because of the customisable options and having a slightly better UI than Sims 2.
    But yeah, Sims 1 is the worst by a longshot, 2&3 are nice and 4 just has that tiny bit of edge over the previous games.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,750 Member
    Sims 1
    The lack of diagonal walls was so frustrating in the Sims 1. I enjoyed building in every version after that.
    SZVLCEa.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • brizgalbrizgal Posts: 43 Member
    Sims 1
    It has to be the original however it was incredible for its time. Sims 4 is a very close second because even though it has some amazing features it is also very flawed and seriously limited in some areas of design and styling.
  • sunnycakessunnycakes Posts: 19 New Member
    Sims 1
    The newer the Sims game is, the better the build mode. I have only played 3 and 4, but I have seen videos of people struggling to build in older games. Sims 4 has lots of features and shortcuts that make it easier to build. Sims 3 has loads of customization options that make building better. It really depends on whether you are talking about easier or better.