Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happens when you place a burglar alarm outside in the Sims 3

I wonder, should i place a burglar alarm at the front door? Will it not work, or what will happen?
I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.

Comments

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    I place my just on the inside wall by the door, but of course they still come in which is why some players will place them on the outside of the house as it's suppose to keep them from breaking into your house.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I wonder, should i place a burglar alarm at the front door? Will it not work, or what will happen?

Placing it outside stops the burglar from going into the house as they'll freak out like a doofus until the cop arrives.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    They should block letting players place them outside, showing the alarm red trying to place it. it feels like for me it ruins the fun!
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I've never tried that... it sounds like a bug... albeit a rather humorous one.

Oh no, the alarm is right outside- and now I can't run! :D
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    In sims 2, you had to do moveobjects on to place the alarm outside. I typically place the alarm outside myself as it is more efficient.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    I always place the burglar alarm on the outside of the house. It works just fine. I do this for all of my Sims, but it is especially helpful for those households where the Sims do not have the 'Brave' trait.

If your home has two doors add an alarm to both. If you have an alarm on the front door only, the burglar will come into the house via the backdoor, sneak through the house, just to go out the front door to trip the alarm. The garage door is the only door the burglar cannot go through.
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    I've never thought of putting the burglar alarm outside of the house before, but now I'm thinking of giving it a try.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    edited August 2022
    I remember reading on the forum here about someone placing a burglar alarm outside to keep the burglars from stealing their Sims car(s). That's something I never thought about doing before so initially I thought it was a little silly as burglars rarely ever stole cars in my game.

Until the time it actually happened...

And I was furious! :rage: Dang burglar got away with it too cause my sim waking up and calling the cops took too long. Then the cops got mad at my sim for calling in a "false alarm" cause the burglar was long gone with their precious car by the time they showed up!! Yeah. Furious.

So now I place burglar alarms inside AND outside my active Sim's homes. :star:

Another time a burglar came back to steal the car, NOPE, the alarm went off outside! Ha ha!
    (He was actually stealing the pergola the car was parked under. :joy: Which almost made me fall out of my chair laughing, but that's beside the point... ;) )

But yeah it's totally ok to place them outside.

Take THAT you stupid burglars! I hate you anyway... (Seriously, I loathe them! And I'm seriously considering modding them out.)

Anyway! :mrgreen:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have never not put my burglar alarm outside. I didn’t know it was a thing not too! (Sims 2 doesn’t let you) but in sims 1 &3 it goes outside.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I place it outside by the front door, so as soon as they step on my porch it goes off, At least until I learned you could
    disable burglars with register.
  • Options
    dominimpdominimp Posts: 162 Member
    I never thought of doing that either because it goes against what people actually do. they usually put them inside by the door entrances.

In Sims 3 I put them at the connecting hallways to the Backdoor, Garage (Unless my sims want to use the hoverboard), Front Door and the disconnected (aka outside from the house) Basement.

I might try it on the outside now =D

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited August 2022
    I love burglars. 😈. It gives me an opportunity to light then on fire.

Thank you Disasters and Blessings mod. ~evil laughter~
    Screenshot-16.jpg
    Don’t worry, I’ve talked to my psychiatrist about that…he says it’s normal. 😁
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 373 Member
    I love burglars. 😈. It gives me an opportunity to light then on fire.

Thank you Disasters and Blessings mod. ~evil laughter~
    Screenshot-16.jpg
    Don’t worry, I’ve talked to my psychiatrist about that…he says it’s normal. 😁

TIL that a side effect of being on fire is levitation.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I always place burglar alarms outside. I don't want burglars disturbing my game play. I don't need the fun.

You can only place them if there is space available to place an object. If it can't be placed I use MoveObjects On cheat and place the alarm then turn the cheat off. MoveObjects Off.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited August 2022
    TIL that a side effect of being on fire is levitation.
    They jump pretty high when their six is set on fire.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited August 2022
    I usually place one right in front of every entrance but true they are usually indoors side because thats where it makes sense to me

burglar ain't burglar before they actually break in :wink:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Simexpert123Simexpert123 Posts: 809 Member
    I'm not sure. I have never placed the alarm outside, that I remember. I think that they would either run away or steal your outdoor stuff. But who knows until you try it!