Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wyrd Girls - WHIYGT, Creative Corner or Blog? - Resolved

luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,633 Member
I'll freely admit, I joined these forums after reading others posts on What Happened In Your Game Today and wanted to share my own. I find that I've really gotten into it. I enjoy creating and sharing my Wyrd Girls story and reading others stories... but I feel like sometimes I have to slow myself down to not spam WHIYGT.

I'm wondering if I should start a threat in Creative Corner, or start my own Blog, as a better place to share my story without worrying about that. Currently, I'm leaning toward Creative Corner... chiefly because I can just copy my existing posts into that to start the thread (rather than rewriting everything in Blogger, which also doesn't have a good "spoiler" function that I admit I kind of like and have used to dramatic reveals.

I'm hoping the Sims storytelling community here can help me decide this... I guess I asking for pros and cons to my options from those with more experience. Any input is appreciated.
Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
Post edited by luciusstorm on

Comments

• Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I haven't got any experience with storytelling, though as a reader I'd love it if you started a thread some where. I feel like I've missed some of your story on the days that I have been away from the forum. This way it would be easier to keep up with :) I'd say to make it less time consuming and easier for you creative corner might be the better option.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The general discussion area gets more traffic, but the creative corner does allow you your own space. If you do create one make sure to post a link in the whiygt thread so we can favorite it and get notifications when you post. And then if you stop by the thread and at least drop teasers with a link now and then hopefully everyone who wants to follow will be able to find it.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    I post little snippets of my story in the “What Happened” thread and then expand on that in a dedicated thread in the creative section with a link to it in my signature. People who want to read it can favorite it and get notifications of updates. I’m too lazy to maintain a blog. 😀
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I put a now defunct copy of Erik Cantrell's story down in the Creative Corner. Be aware, they don't allow photos. I've tried, but it's a no-go, unless I'm doing something decidedly wrong. I read what's on the forums. I rarely read a blog, unless a link to it shows up in the forums. But that's just me. Hope this helps you make up your mind. I write my 'chapters' and keep them in my word processor files. I copy and paste them onto the forums. That should work on a blog, as well. I've always done it that way. Years ago, I blogged about my Sims' ventures, when I played the Pinstar's Legacy Challenge.

If you find yourself impatient to write, just write your segments up in your processor. I use ,on this computer, (Libre Office). I prefer Open Office. I believe both are free to download and use. That way you won't lose the inspiration or what happened in the story, but can post when you feel you've left enough time in between. Personally, I'm not at all bothered about how much or how often you post. I'm enjoying you story. With Libre Office, I can take my images from imjur and copy the code into the text. I've got it all laid out as I want, to just copy and paste the whole enchilada when I'm ready. I also save it once on the thread, and preview. Sometimes, I find I placed the wrong picture, or placed the same picture more than once, etc. This allows me to fix the problem before I 'publish'.

Best of luck. And I hope you don't leave the thread, but I also know you must do what's best for you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I post screenshots all the time in the Creative section. Never tried photos. I know there was some problem with one of the subsections having issues with images, but the Stories section is fine for me. My main issue with the Creative section is that the narrative stories get buried beneath a million challenges. I think they would find a bigger audience if the two were separated so the stories can stay on the front page for more than a couple of hours.

• Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    Hi @luciusstorm, I too had this dilemma. I found myself posting in both WHIYGT threads, and although there a periods of time I don’t play the Sims, I like to share everything about it when I have the time to play. Since I was so acclimated to the forums, I ultimately decided to create a thread in creative corner.

I agree with others that if you decide to move your story there, it’s best practice to let others know where you’re moving. I definitely see less traffic over there after switching over. However, it appears from this thread that you’ve got some loyal readers, so I’m sure they’d find you anyhow 🙂 As for pictures, I’ve never had any issues posting screenshots. If you plan to include any, I think the guideline is to just use a spoiler tag for excessive screenshots and/or text. The best “pro” about creating a thread is that it’s yours, so you can write long-winded stories, or you can provide small updates, everything goes!

Overall, I would highly recommend if you’re worried about spamming the current WHIYGT thread to move on over if you please. I think you’ll have a positive experience and won’t regret it. Best of luck and happy simming!
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    As much as I'd like to I don't have time to keep up with everyone's stories in the extended version WHIYGT thread. I'd definitely bookmark if you started your own story thread in Creative Corner. It's much easier to keep up with stories in CC. No scrolling back several pages if you missed a particular update. Everything in one thread if you need to refer back for clarification.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited July 2022
    cyncie wrote: »

... My main issue with the Creative section is that the narrative stories get buried beneath a million challenges. I think they would find a bigger audience if the two were separated so the stories can stay on the front page for more than a couple of hours.

That is a problem. Sounds like there is enough demand now that the forum admin could separate them into two sub boards. You could try posting this request over there to ask for it.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    If you haven't decided yet there are other spam threads, you can make your own in creative or stories if you'd rather people didn't really comment with their own stories so you can post more freely. You could also spread out your posting one story in one thread one in another if sharing and getting other stories to read is enjoyable but you want to use other's postings as a nod to when you should post to not worry about it in large groups just to think of pros and cons there. It can only get so buried while you're active either way after all.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    @GalacticGal You can post images in the creative corner in the same way you do on any other thread.
    There was a point in time recently when initial posts in a thread wouldn't allow images, but subsequent posts displayed images fine, and that was true for the whole forum.

@Catzilla @cyncie I usually use my bookmark list to view the creative corner. It works well and I get notifications through the forum whenever there's a new post on a story I'm reading.

@luciusstorm I'll happily read it wherever you post it :) I kind of agree with your feeling that more than once a day is a little much for the what happened "Today" thread-- given all the back-and-forth among various storytellers that is the fun of that thread-- but that's just one reader's opinion.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I don't think there is an advantage to using a blog over creating a thread on the forums, you might get more readers here than in a blog, but maybe someone who has one can offer you more insight.
  • Options

@Catzilla @cyncie I usually use my bookmark list to view the creative corner. It works well and I get notifications through the forum whenever there's a new post on a story I'm reading.

Thanks for that. That’s how I follow things, as well. I’m mostly thinking of new readers coming to the section and finding the front page flooded with 100 baby challenges. I’m not sure how far in they dig to find other things.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,833 Member
    edited July 2022
    @luciusstorm I set up a thread in creative corner for my Under The Tartosan Sun story. It didn't get a lot of traffic at first but as I post new episodes it's gaining a following which still I find amazing and a bit unbelievable. Where your story is well established it should flourish down there. As long as you use spoiler tags you can pretty much go nuts with screenshots and text. I often get up around 10-15+ screenshots per episode. I will break the episodes down into more than one post if I feel they're getting too big. It's far easier for your readers to find your story because it owns the thread. It's total freedom. I do try to post a teaser in WHIYGT or PYLS and let people know that the new episode is up. The threads cycle quite a bit sometimes so it gives them a heads up to go look, because somedays your thread can be near the top of page 1 in the morning and by evening it's on page 2.😁
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your insights. I think I'm going to go for it... I'm going to create a new thread in Creative Corner, copy my current Wyrd Girls posts from WHIYGT over to it and update my story there, maybe with teaser posts back in WHIYGT going forward.

Also, I have to say thank you to everyone who is enjoying my story.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,833 Member
    @luciusstorm You won't regret the move. You have so much more freedom to make your story as big as you like.
  • Options
    @luciusstorm I shall make certain to bookmark your post! I'll give feedback, most likely in the WHIYGT? thread, perhaps. Tagging you, of course.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Unfortunately it looks like it may be a while... my Windows 11 experiment has ended badly and now I need to roll back to Windows 10. Ugh
  • Options
    Unfortunately it looks like it may be a while... my Windows 11 experiment has ended badly and now I need to roll back to Windows 10. Ugh

Wow. I took the test for 11 when it was first introduced and I can't run it on this system. But, if it messes with the game, maybe I don't want it after all? Yikes. They are phasing out 10, which took me a very long time to like. I preferred 7.