This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

How Do You Deal With University?

Comments

• Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,147 Member
    I no longer send sims to uni, it's too boring after playing it once/twice/however many times.
    After playing through it once, the only times I've sent my sims to college is if it's a requirement for a challenge.
    Besides, I rarely have my sims go into careers, so a degree is kind of pointless.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 188 Member
    I do no more than a couple of credits at a time so they can actually have a social life, even though it means doing it longer.
    I don't do Uni for all my sims, but for the ones I do, I usually do 3 classes a semester and switch the lifespan from medium to long (without pausing aging altogether, which for me personally feels like cheating).

This allows for a bit more time to enjoy things outside of the Uni grind and allows them to still have some time after they graduate to party/travel/date etc before settling down.

I've also only played vanilla, with no mods. The main points of frustration I have is it's difficult to send a group of Sims to school together, unless I have them live in a regular house off campus. It's also frustrating to step away from the household and play rotationally--usually I come back to a big fat F. If those things were resolved I would enjoy the pack a lot more.

One tip I do have is to enroll Wed-Fri. This way your term starts late in the week and you have the weekend to do your projects and homework. You can then rotate away from the sim and their grade shouldn't suffer too much. It also allows you to have more free time during the week if you do decide to stay with that family.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,662 Member
    Other
    One tip I do have is to enroll Wed-Fri. This way your term starts late in the week and you have the weekend to do your projects and homework. You can then rotate away from the sim and their grade shouldn't suffer too much. It also allows you to have more free time during the week if you do decide to stay with that family.
    Yeah, what I usually do is enroll on a Friday night and work the whole weekend on term paper, presentation and homework. On the Monday I go to classes and also fit doing the presentation in, then I rotate away. That way, when I get back they will usually score a B grade.

But even just doing 3 days of grinding feels too much. And if you want to be sure of an A+ grade you have to stay and see it to the end.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,138 Member
    I do no more than a couple of credits at a time so they can actually have a social life, even though it means doing it longer.
    If you have MCCC, you don't need a faster homework mod. It's included in MCCC, fyi.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    Other
    I do as many classes as I can stand and the sim does it from the home lot, not going to university. Grades are easy to keep high that way.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,102 Member
    edited July 2022
    Other
    Even though I have had to restart my Rock Star and his family several times, I make certain there is enough time in between sending sets of Sims to Uni. Yes, one way I manage to get through it without it being a total grind, is I send at least seven Sims to live in the very same Dorm, going to the very same Uni. It's always been Britechester-U. I loved that campus instantly, and having heard of all the glitches with Foxbury, I just haven't given it a try. Once I learned that a Sim can take four Core Classes at once, that's the way I go. I never rotate to any other household. I spend the entire three Sims-weeks focused on the Students. This was helpful for my Cantrell brothers, all three of them to find the Sim I created for them in CAS. Right under their noses in Wyvern Hall. LOL

The last two times I had a group go through Uni, Erik was already married to his high school sweetheart. I upgraded the Hall in map view. Changed the furnishings around a bit, gave Erik and his new wife the front left corner room, moved the second single bed into the back left corner room. Added enough counters to hold a coffee pot, popcorn maker and the tea pot. plus a small refrigerator with a microwave on top.

I keep a chart so I can mark down their Term grades and total GPA. I use Cheat Needs, to help the students keep up. Erik also does away concerts and photoshoots (rabbit holes) so he can continue his income and keep relevant. I also had him record and package enough songs for three albums, that he released one at a time, for each Term. When he was nominated for Best Song, he made certain his homework was under control, so he could go and enjoy his big moment.

Most of my students do well. I do make certain they take notes while in class, but that doesn't mean a grade won't slip here and there.

Just like Strangerville, I only play Uni when I'm emotionally ready for it. I do look forward to High School. Really curious to see how it's handled in the game. I was never a Home Coming Queen, but I was a Rah-Rah, inasmuch as I was on the Drill Team. Yeah, this little wallflower, me. ;) Took Third place in a parade once. :)
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,102 Member
    Other
    I use a mod that essentially removes homework (automatically finished the daily work) so my sims only have to work term papers and presentations (heck, that's how I did university IRL). That frees up time to have a social life while still requiring some school work.

They have a mod in RL? LOL you must share the name of it. Erik could have used such a mod. But in some vague way I enjoyed having him work. Oh, trust me, with Erik's celebrity, there's always a social something going on. LOL This last go-around, I had him lock his bedroom door for just him and Kayleigh. This kept the Paparazzi from bursting in on them at all hours. Instead, they seemed to be able to 'see through the walls' from the adjacent bedroom. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    What do you mean, grindfest? I love uni exactly as it is!
    Hoping they have done HS totally different, since uni is such a boring grindfest.

It is so looooong with 12 credits required, I usually opt for the max 4 at a time so that I only have to do it on 3 repeats (I rotate away between semesters so that it is not a constant rinse and repeat job). I also make sure to group my sims up so that I can take a number of them through it all at the same time.

For certain jobs I really do want my sims to have degrees, but it is becoming so yawn-inducing.

So, what do you peeps do?

I pause aging and do three classes per week. Always graduate with A+
    They key to stop the grind is to avoid the Uni aspiration, that is what makes it grindy. By just not bothering with the debate skill it all just feels like any other Sim, it's no more grindy than having a job in the Sims.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,621 Member
    Should've voted Other but I clicked too soon.

Anyway, I pretty much just make sure that all my students have lvl 6 in research & debate prior to going to Uni so that homework is manageable. I usually try to go full households with max courseloads to minimize time spent and provided I successfully got the research & debate skill high enough and can manage my sims properly - I can usually get them all A-B grades while allow some partying. Its not the best iteration of University for the franchise, but it's maneageable.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,556 Member
    I love the Uni experience. All 5 adults/young adults in my household have multiple degrees. They attend full time with a full course load while remaining at home and I only have one in Uni at a time.
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I use a mod to change certain aspects (details please).

@GirafHuntr please could you explain how to adjust the difficulty with MCCC?

@elanorbreton Took me a bit to find time to dig in, but it's MCCC>>MC Career>>University Homework Progression

Right next to that setting is also "University Difficulty Adjustment."

My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,378 Member
    Other
    It really depends on how I'm playing. I'll only go with University if I feel it suits the sim to go to University.

Right now, my primary save is a specific Rags to Riches Legacy, where they can't live outside of Newcrest (though I bent that slightly to add Werewolves to the family tree. Rental lots don't count.) so while I've had a few heirs that it would make sense would go to Uni, the idea that they have to start from zero and build a home for themselves makes Uni ... not entirely practical.

Other saves, I typically do 3 credits per term (2 related to the major, one elective) and go for four terms, but then I'm also playing on Custom or Long life, so spending an extra Sim-Week on that fourth term doesn't eat up too much of my sim's life span.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 905 Member
    Maybe I should have put other, because I normally don't send them to the university dorm, I have them attend from home, so they only take a few credits as I have them doing other things as well.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,128 Member
    @chillaby LittleMsSam made the faster homework mod.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I use a mod so my sims need less credits. Uni is about two weeks with two credits per week for me that way.
  • Options
    Other
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    @elanorbreton Took me a bit to find time to dig in, but it's MCCC>>MC Career>>University Homework Progression

Right next to that setting is also "University Difficulty Adjustment."
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, it's much appreciated xx
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited July 2022
    I have a mod so that it only requires eight credits (I can't remember who made it, but when I'm on my computer instead of my phone I'll get a link for whoever would like it.) I also know for a fact that the mod has variations, so you could have it require four credits if you want.

Edit: It's linked earlier, in a post by @EnkiSchmidt
    Post edited by nerdfashion on
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    Other
    @nerdfashion is it perhaps this one linked earlier?
    I use & recommend Peri_shorteruniversity: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41632608
    The 8 credits version works best with normal lifespan in my opinion.

• Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    Other
    I like to play as realistic as possible, so most of my Sims go through 4 terms at University (similar to 4 years), but I will cheat my sim’s energy need so they can fit in school work, parties, and any extra curricular activities like the soccer team or debate club, etc.

I might be in the minority, I still think playing through University is really fun..
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,406 Member
    Other
    I still send sims to Uni, depending on what their career is going to be. Professionals always go to college, duh. Sims will take 3 classes making it a 4 week stint, as in 4 yr degree...Lawyers, Education, Medical all must attend. The rest of the sims, depends on what they will be doing as to whether or not they go to college. I do enjoy playing sims in Uni and one sim in particular, when I rotated back to him, was stunned to see he had finished college with an honorary degree in Psychology...he was on his second or third week when I left him. Fantastic!

Oh, and Scarlet is the one who originally made the faster uni homework mod, but now that she is retired from modding, LittleMsSam has graciously kept the mod updated. I've had this mod since right after Uni was released, the length of time to do homework was ridiculous.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Other
    Good question and it's fun to see others talk about mods they use, and strategies. However I chose other because how
    I cope with it in Sims4 is firstly, I rarely play it, but if I do, I try to do it with a vampire sim or a sim who already has a lot of maxed skills and a lot of satisfaction reward traits that help out.

I can't imagine how horrible it would be with a regular old sim, because yes, there is NO time for a social life, no time for dating, no time for parties, no time for anything fun at all, if you want to pass, otherwise.

But I love Sims2 and Sims3 University experiences! So I play that, on those games instead. The difference is amazing. It's not all work no play, in 2 and 3. Still enough work to make it feel real, but way more manageable and sociable.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,850 Member
    edited July 2022
    Other
    I am taking four classes at once for most Sims (at least three Sims are enrolled together). When they are rich enough (no scholarships needed) I will pause after one semester and rotate to another family. I find the game more interesting this way. Playing all three semesters in a row is very boring to me.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I should have wrote other because I'm not too happy with uni as it's not active, but I like everything else.

I also use mods to make Uni harder; the more expensive classes mod, you need a degree to get a job mod, and a couple others.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited July 2022
    I pause the aging process when I have a sim going to university, so no one ages including the student, i only focus on them during their uni time, then turn it back on when they graduate, I also like them to do other things besides uni work, host parties and socialize
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,278 Member
    I don't care about degrees, my sims can have whatever job I want to give them.
    Chose the wrong option.

I love university in the sims, unlike in real life. :tongue: I tend to send my sims to live on campus in groups, which makes it more enjoyable as I juggle between their studies, social lives, organization events and the occasional party. There's so much to do.

I'll admit I don't play all in one go. I have a rotation of sims in uni right now and I only play them if I feel like it.

Overall, I like the balance of work and don't use any mods to tweak studying. Just the townies. I don't like how the dorm system generates an absurd amount of townies. Seriously wish they would tweak it to pull from homeless sims already in the world.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-