Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Curved walls coming?

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I hope this is real. At the same time I'm wary of the results if it's real. I've long wished for the ability to use curves in building, but every time they add or update special things in build mode, a bunch of other stuff breaks. :grimace: So if it IS true, I'll personally avoid updating until it gets fixed, so I wouldn't be using it for a while anyway. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited July 2022
    Happy for those that want them but I wouldn’t use curved walls. To me they reduce space.

I’d prefer each world having at least 8 buildable lots, even if three or four were empty. There needs to a wider selection of lot sizes as well.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    The curved window doesn't look realistic to me. I am not saying that curved walls might not be coming, but that curved window would imply that all other windows in game would get curved options as well, and I think not all windows are suited to being rounded, including this one. Also, I don't think I have ever seen rounded windows in real life, window glass is usually made in flat panes and whatever windows might seem rounded are still made of flat glass panes.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    If we get curved walls that's awesome. I hope that it also applies to pools.

And the window code found could be for the new open window feature. But I can see curved walls fitting this pack with he Art Deco.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I wonder if the walls can also curve inward, and if all doors and windows can be used on curved walls.

Hoping for curved pools too.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    edited July 2022

Amazing modder RAVASHEEN was able to uncover what was hiding underneath the latest Update for The Sims 4. It was new code for Walls Placement:

I saw a lot of changes in the S4S update and with the curved wall theory circling around it seems like the new settings could support this idea! In object catalog there is a new ‘Wall Optional’ box under PlacementFlagsLow and tons of new options for PlacementFlagsHigh.

@RavasheenCC
  • favrielfavriel Posts: 72 Member
    Someone discovered that there's a curved wall in the trailer (at 0:37)

YOxjMzF.png
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    While I think curved walls could be doable, I don't think windows and doors will be able to be placed on them unless they made a special cruved mesh for each and every single window in the game. The current window meshes are flat (or straight rather), if you would put that on a curved wall then the sides would stick out further due to the fact the wall is curved in and not straight.

Here's a quick example I made with some meshes to simulate current straight windows placed on a curved wall. You can see that on the edges they stick out a great deal further.

awSqjVM.png

I also don't think curtains, paintings, or other wall decor will be able to be placed on them, because again, the back side that fits against the wall on all of these wall items is flat.

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    favriel wrote: »

YOxjMzF.png
    Where exactly is this screen cap taken from the video? I only see this girl sitting next to a blond girl in the video and never this curved wall pictured also the blond girl has vanished who was in the seat next to her at best it looks like a fan edit.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member

YOxjMzF.png

That's exciting. Can't wait to see what people build. I definitely wasn't expecting curved walls ever... again, I hope it can also be applied to pools.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

YOxjMzF.png
    Where exactly is this screen cap taken from the video? I only see this girl sitting next to a blond girl in the video and never this curved wall pictured also the blond girl has vanished who was in the seat next to her at best it looks like a fan edit.

0:37, but it is very very quick. You need to go frame by frame to notice it.
    kWP5zF73Nx0.jpg?size=1165x664&quality=96&sign=45d0ef3da7ce0a3422979e944082cdb3&type=album
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    While I think curved walls could be doable, I don't think windows and doors will be able to be placed on them unless they made a special cruved mesh for each and every single window in the game. The current window meshes are flat (or straight rather), if you would put that on a curved wall then the sides would stick out further due to the fact the wall is curved in and not straight.

Here's a quick example I made with some meshes to simulate current straight windows placed on a curved wall. You can see that on the edges they stick out a great deal further.

awSqjVM.png

I also don't think curtains, paintings, or other wall decor will be able to be placed on them, because again, the back side that fits against the wall on all of these wall items is flat.

I think they will add a few curved windows that only fit on curved walls.

Just like how there isn‘t a bunk bed version of every single bed in the game, I don‘t think there will be a curved version of every window.
    a256aFi.gif
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited July 2022

YOxjMzF.png
    It's real (shows up at 0:37 like mentioned above too) you have to slow down the video by heck of a lot though to be able to see the screen at all it seems like it was hidden there on purpose
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

awSqjVM.png

Here's a video of how you fit a flat window on a curved wall. Also, if you need a wider window then you adjust it's curvature from the wooden frame. In your example you have window panes on two columns, then you need to adjust the window curvature from the wooden post between the two window columns. Anyway, if it's easier for them to create curved windows from a game development perspective, I will be fine with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KpH9v22Fxo

I think this is how current flat windows would fit on the curved walls. The black line is current flat walls and windows, and if we consider one side of the octagon an in game tile, then we could easily fit all single tile windows there without creating new meshes. If we increase the size of the octagon side to two tiles, we might be able to fit two tile windows and so on.

bv67qZ5NS5KT4KcS1BGN_octagon.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I hope the counters, electronics, large appliances & furniture & doors can fit nicely with the new round walls. ;)
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I hope the counters, electronics, large appliances & furniture & doors can fit nicely with the new round walls. ;)

I’m hoping the rounded sectional sofas from DHD will fit the curved walls. I’m also praying that they didn’t forget about the pools. I think that’s where I would use the feature the most.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hello! Curved wall would be great :)

Don't know how much it will do for my personal builds, I find dealing with boxes hard enough as it is but I look forward to what I could find on the Gallery with this.
  • ThisSentenceIsALieThisSentenceIsALie Posts: 78 Member
    If they're doing curved walls, I hope we get spiral staircases as well! How else am I going to build towers with secret hideouts at the top?
    /ᐠ。ꞈ。ᐟ\ ノ
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

YOxjMzF.png
    It's real (shows up at 0:37 like mentioned above too) you have to slow down the video by heck of a lot though to be able to see the screen at all it seems like it was hidden there on purpose
    I found it they hid it in there so well
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited July 2022
    JestTru wrote: »

YOxjMzF.png

That's exciting. Can't wait to see what people build. I definitely wasn't expecting curved walls ever... again, I hope it can also be applied to pools.

get ready for whole gallery going curvy this summer/autumn :lol:

I do wish they added pools cause it be so nice to go with the curvy house
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CopperBoltCopperBolt Posts: 132 Member
    I hope this isn't true because I'm having flashbacks to last time all of the CC doors & windows broke. :neutral:
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    I hope this isn't true because I'm having flashbacks to last time all of the CC doors & windows broke. :neutral:

If they break the CC creators can just update them; thats not an excuse not to get a highly requested feature...
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

YOxjMzF.png

If you look closely you can see that not only is that the only curved wall in the trailer...but it's also not finished. The shadow textures are a bit off and it happens in split second. I definitely think they hid that there on purpose as a tease. Plus removing the blonde girl would make people question it, therefore not having to fully answer any questions.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    I guess we can consider it real now :D I'm quite excited, I hope that they give us some curve-friendly floor to ceiling windows and arches. I wonder if one of the game changers leaked it or if it was a 'planned' leaked by maxis to create some hype.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Iron Seagull has a video that shows the curved wall on youtube.