Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• JarheadWifeyJarheadWifey Posts: 3 New Member
    I just got HSY recently (like a few days ago lol) and it's still full of bugs. My teen's formal outfit changes all the time without my physically changing it. Her crush has asked her to be his girlfriend twice, I've accepted both times, I've even asked him to be her boyfriend, and they are both still single 🤨 not huge deals, I know, but still a bit frustrating lol.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited November 2022
    The most negative point is the lack of new interactions.

TS2 EP1 University :
    1. Streaking
    2. MP3 player
    3. Handheld game
    4. Bass
    5. Guitar
    6. Drums
    7. Pranks
    8. Pillow fights
    9. Pool table
    10. Influence other Sims
    11. Hang Out
    12. Cowplant
    13. Resurrect-O-Nomitron
    14. Zombies

TS3 EP09 University Life :
    1. Social groups
    2. Plantsims
    3. Streaking
    4. Protest
    5. Street art
    6. Science
    7. Social networking
    8. Photography
    9. Murphy bed
    10. Photobooth
    11. Soccer ball
    12. Juice keg
    13. Frisbee
    14. Ping Pong
    15. Bowling

TS4 EP08 Discover University :
    1. Bicycles
    2. Juice keg
    3. Ping pong table
    4. Soccer ball
    5. Servos
    6. Influence other Sims

TS4 EP12 High School Years :
    1. Pillow fights
    2. Playing catch
    3. Cheerleading
    4. Photobooth
    5. Groom and trim body hair
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    edited November 2022
    TS3 EP09 University Life was a deeper experience than TS4 EP12 High School Years.

The students could even wear a backpack.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022

TS2 EP1 University :
    1. Streaking
    2. MP3 player
    3. Handheld game
    4. Bass
    5. Guitar
    6. Drums
    7. Pranks
    8. Pillow fights
    9. Influence other Sims
    10. Hang Out
    11. Cowplant
    12. Resurrect-O-Nomitron
    13. Zombies

TS3 EP09 University Life :
    1. Social groups
    2. Plantsims
    3. Streaking
    4. Protest
    5. Street art
    6. Science
    7. Social networking
    8. Photography
    9. Murphy bed
    10. Photobooth
    11. Soccer ball
    12. Juice keg
    13. Frisbee
    14. Ping Pong
    15. Bowling

TS4 EP08 Discover University :
    1. Bicycles
    2. Juice keg
    3. Ping pong table
    4. Soccer ball
    5. Servos
    6. Influence other Sims

1. Pillow fights
    2. Playing catch
    3. Cheerleading
    4. Photobooth

Not sure if you’re talking about specific features but these packs do have a lot more than just this.

Sims 4 university also has social groups which has its own interface and mission system, it adds careers and the debate skill and it’s biggest feature is probably living in dorms.

High School years has sneaking out, detention, prom, lockers, graduation, career day, fairground, exam day, sports days etc.
  • StreicherStreicher Posts: 31 Member
    I have played a R2R thing with my teen Sim in Copperdale and I was very glad when her high school years were over. It became rather boring and tedious and have a prom every Saturday is just a bit ridiculous. Definitely not my favourite expansion pack
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited November 2022
    JustinB113 wrote: »

1. Pillow fights
    2. Playing catch
    3. Cheerleading
    4. Photobooth

Not sure if you’re talking about specific features but these packs do have a lot more than just this.

Sims 4 university also has social groups which has its own interface and mission system, it adds careers and the debate skill and it’s biggest feature is probably living in dorms.

High School years has sneaking out, detention, prom, lockers, graduation, career day, fairground, exam day, sports days etc.

High School Years May have a few good things but the repetitive gameplay does let it down.
    • There’s no spontaneous actions within class, students can’t ask questions so I have to imagine they are learning (or asking questions).
    • Detention is boring as there’s no consequence and the Sims learn nothing. It has no impact on their character or traits.
    • Weekly prom doesn’t make sense and you can’t change it.
    • All you can do with the locker is change or prank them. The novelty soon wears off.
    • Placing the window to sneak out is a chore. Also there’s little risk to actually getting caught. Mom’s angry? Just buy expensive paintings and the happy buff sorts it.
    • Social Bunny drives me mad and I disable it for every active Sim I load. (Really wish there was some master option to turn it off completely! 🤦🏼‍♂️)

The only things I really like is the fairground as it’s a great meeting place or date night venue. Copperdale is a lovely world.

When I played HSY I did so for one week and then with one scenario before returning to my usual gameplay style. I haven’t revisited it since Cassandra Goth got expelled.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Has the High School been fixed yet? I've been avoiding playing the actual High School because of the glitch.
    And speaking of Schools, does anyone know if the University glitch been fixed yet also? I would so want to try to play that again because it's been about 3 years now.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    @SERVERFRA Not sure which glitches you are referring to.
    Here is the current list of open issues for University https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/8425096#M223848
    And the current list of open issues for High School https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/m-p/11673025#M223852
    edited November 2022

I won't call visiting rabbitholes new interactions and I can't used some gameplay outside the high school.

All the things listed earlier can be used outside the university.

And this EP doesn't fill the gap left by a missing occult. Zombies, Plantsims and Servos added a gameplay.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    I'm so done with the High School Pack. This has happened twice now. No Prom, and my sim was Valedictorian but no speech someone else gave it. and no diploma or picture. Someone tell me whats the point of this pack?
    edited November 2022
    JustinB113 wrote: »

1. Pillow fights
    2. Playing catch
    3. Cheerleading
    4. Photobooth

High School Years May have a few good things but the repetitive gameplay does let it down.
    • There’s no spontaneous actions within class, students can’t ask questions so I have to imagine they are learning (or asking questions).
    • Detention is boring as there’s no consequence and the Sims learn nothing. It has no impact on their character or traits.
    • Weekly prom doesn’t make sense and you can’t change it.
    • All you can do with the locker is change or prank them. The novelty soon wears off.
    • Placing the window to sneak out is a chore. Also there’s little risk to actually getting caught. Mom’s angry? Just buy expensive paintings and the happy buff sorts it.
    • Social Bunny drives me mad and I disable it for every active Sim I load. (Really wish there was some master option to turn it off completely! 🤦🏼‍♂️)

The only things I really like is the fairground as it’s a great meeting place or date night venue. Copperdale is a lovely world.

When I played HSY I did so for one week and then with one scenario before returning to my usual gameplay style. I haven’t revisited it since Cassandra Goth got expelled.

Oh I’m not saying that it’s perfect or anything. I was just replying to a list that noted every single feature of sims 3 packs but left out most of the features of the sims 4 one. I’m not saying one is better than the other, just it’s a bit disingenuous to say that it only has 5 small interactions.

I didn’t mention the whole thrifting system and social bunny which was a large part of the pack too - it has more than just pillow fights and shaving. I’ve played the pack for many hours, there is definitely content in it. A better criticism is like you say, it’s a bit repetitive. Particularly the school experience could have been better for sure :)
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    The Sims University pack also added a pool table. The Secret Societies were done better in Sims 2, in my opinion. Just looking at the old career and aspiration rewards really shows how lame Discover University is in comparison. It seems like Discover University skipped a lot of things that were in the Sims 2 version. Neither campus looked appealing. Items in CAS and the Build & Buy catalogs looked nice but not nice enough to add all of the negative things that came with the DU pack so I opted not to buy it. My game is still free of townies riding bicycles everywhere.

I didn't buy High School Years because it had too many bugs. Do teenagers really have pillow fights or is that something children do? I read that teens can pillow fight but kids can't which seems backward to me. I watched a few "Let's Play" videos to see the pack in action. The pack didn't do much to sell itself. I lost interest and never did buy it. The World that the pack came with looks nice though. The high school campus looked pretty bad. My game is still free of the Social Bunny app and anything to do with "influencers."
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited November 2022
    So, I dont own this pack (yet, I may buy it if I can find it for 50% off or more lol) but I've watched all of the reviews/lets plays that I can find and it's just so lackluster.
    1. I think the outside track could've easily been routed where you simply click "run track" and the sims do laps until they're either tired or you cancel the action.
    2. The fact that there is literally no point to being able to go to class with them since you can't even simply make them "take notes" or "sleep" like you could in TS3 University.
    3. Can't have more than one after school club and ALL of them are rabbit holes.
    4. The fact that not even the Ferris wheel allows us to see our sims sit on it while it moves is such a disappointment.
    5. My main thing is, and this is solely my opinion, but it really seems this way and I'm not surprised if it's true based on the sims past releases; but I believe this pack was centered around the Depop collab for the Trendi app and that's why the other teen gameplay is pretty lackluster and not as detailed or fleshed out.
    6. The pier ice cream stand is just a reuse of ice cream, which already exists with kitchen stuff, and is not even an all-seasons food. They could've done funnel cake, slushies, cheese fries, corn dogs. Actual carnival/fair foods.
    7. While the B/B assets are lovely, there are SO MANY. There's, what, 6 new beds alone in this EP? Does all of their budget go to the art design department? I love B/B but for an EP you'd think there would be more gameplay than there are B/B items.
    8.Lastly, I love the polaroid decor items, why couldnt we get a polaroid as a new camera to take both take single selfies and with a friend? and they are then smaller photos with the polaroid framing and can be either posted to a wall or onto one of the postcard corkboards.

In all, I think in terms of gameplay it really missed the mark and had an opportunity to be really cool and they just didn't go in depth with any of the gameplay. It is all once again, ideas that could've been detailed but instead are quite shallow :( I think the thrift/boba store lot type could've been its own thing for a game pack or even just the thrifting/trendi app cause i can see how boba would be a nice after school hangout. I feel like the Trendi app took up too much of the team's gameplay budget, as I mentioned, it feels like that was the main focus since it was for their collab with Depop.

**correction** it came with 10 new beds.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I'm disappointed that it hasn't gone on sale yet. I don't care for the gameplay aspect of this game, but I would like to have the CAS/BB and that Fair on the pier in my game. But because the gameplay lacks I don't think it's worth full price.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    JestTru wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that it hasn't gone on sale yet. I don't care for the gameplay aspect of this game, but I would like to have the CAS/BB and that Fair on the pier in my game. But because the gameplay lacks I don't think it's worth full price.

It's weird it has not gone on sale yet .
    edited November 2022
    I know it's this percentage because it's the newest EP, but I really think for the sale this should be 50% off, not 25. It has mostly negative reviews, so I don't see how only taking 10 USD (if you are in USA) is going to entice many ppl.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
    edited November 2022
    Monaveil wrote: »
    I didn't buy High School Years because it had too many bugs. Do teenagers really have pillow fights or is that something children do? I read that teens can pillow fight but kids can't which seems backward to me. I watched a few "Let's Play" videos to see the pack in action. The pack didn't do much to sell itself. I lost interest and never did buy it. The World that the pack came with looks nice though. The high school campus looked pretty bad. My game is still free of the Social Bunny app and anything to do with "influencers."

I personally didn’t notice too many bugs if any. I can’t recall anything that sticks out. I did have my first sim miss graduation as I was playing a different sim and there was no pop up but I’m not sure if that was a bug.

In the game pillow fights are teens and I think even young adults but I might be wrong. Definitely not kids though.

Copperdale is very nice and the fairground is cool but I would say it’s a nice world but not an essential one. The game has better worlds, but it is nice. Like a B+ or even just a B just as a world. It is nice for teens to hang out there especially though.

The school is badly designed and can only be on one lot. In fairness you can rebuild it and make it really nice, but the maxis lot is very dull with a bad layout and definitely was designed for the lower end PCs.

Social Bunny starts off really quite fun and within an hour you realise it’s so shallow and everyone just messages about pillow fights.
    edited November 2022
    @JestTru wrote: »

25% off on Steam
    SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends 29 November

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1816550/The_Sims_4_High_School_Years_Expansion_Pack/
    edited November 2022
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    I know it's this percentage because it's the newest EP, but I really think for the sale this should be 50% off, not 25.

It took years after the end of The Sims 3 to get EP at $10
    Yeah, but those were packed with gameplay and for myself personally, more worth the price. so I won't be buying any Sims 4 packs if I can't find a good deal for them.
  • Kai252018Kai252018 Posts: 76 Member
    I don't know if this is a bug or was it meant to be like this but when my sims ride the rabbit hole rides they don't have any mood from it.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    @JestTru wrote: »

25% off on Steam
    SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends 29 November

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1816550/The_Sims_4_High_School_Years_Expansion_Pack/

It should be 50% percent off not 25% .They used to be 50% off on black Friday.
  • RoseQuartzRoseQuartz Posts: 164 Member
    Kai252018 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a bug or was it meant to be like this but when my sims ride the rabbit hole rides they don't have any mood from it.

I don't get a buff from those, either. Even a Happy buff would be nice - wouldn't have to be anything epic. Playful would fit too.
  • EverclearBoyEverclearBoy Posts: 151 Member
    Is there any way to increase the number of Sims in the High School? Add other faculty? Like School Nurse, Secretary, Gym Teacher? There is so much potential here but it just feels way too empty. If my computer can run Battlefield at the highest settings, adding more Sims shouldnt be a problem what-so-ever.
    I heard there is a way to increase the amount to like 20 in settings, but that may have been a mod, I'm not 100% sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top