Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    edited July 2022
    It was just shocking how boring it looked. I don't think I've ever seen a Sims expansion look as uninteresting as this one.

Edit:
    Although, I felt the similarly about Eco lifestyle, and several of the items are now indispensable to my gameplay.
    Then again, I also felt that way about Island Living, and it's a trash pack. Beautiful world, but paper thin gameplay. So who knows...
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    procian wrote: »
    Body hair? so were getting nudity in the game?....Bit 18+ is it not?

Er... not really? That's like saying hair on your arms is 18+.

I DO really hope we can disable body hair completely tho, so it's not only your Sim that doesn't have it but random townies get Austin Power body hair or something.
    (To be clear, I don't want body hair, at all).

While I agree with you, I'll attempt to trust the devs. They've been solid so far when it comes to adding customization features that had people afraid were going to be too invasive, like the pronoun update.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    It was just shocking how boring it looked. I don't think I've ever seen a Sims expansion look as uninteresting as this one.

Edit:
    Although, I felt the similarly about Eco lifestyle, and several of the items are now indispensable to my gameplay.
    Then again, I also felt that way about Island Living, and it's a trash pack. Beautiful world, but paper thin gameplay. So who knows...

Honestly, this. I mean, I will need highschool content at some point, but I really couldn't care less beyond that. While there is still the livestream, I saw nothing in the trailer that brought anything exciting.
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Upset that the amusement park /carnival items are all rabbit holes
    losing hope we get non rabbit hole ones ever now *sighs*
    I didn't want carnival just to go eat stuff and vanish into nothingness

Same. The rides on the pier were the most interesting thing in the trailer for me. I was so disappointed when I realized that they were just rabbit holes. I hope that active, functional carnival rides for sims will still come eventually.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »

High school cheer squads in the past have been stereotypically female, and have been stereotypically about the popular girls rah-rah-ing the team and the crowd while dating the football captain. But, while a lot of teams are female only, teams have become more coed as high school cheering has become more of a sport in its own right.

Off-topic for a second: thanks for that link. That squad is truly amazing. The flyers are death-defying. And they owe a lot of that to the skilled team members down on the ground. The level of trust is phenomenal.

You’re welcome. Always glad to share something cool from my Alma Mater. Well, one of them.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited July 2022
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I’ll reserve most of my negative comments till I get confirmation of my possible disappointments.

But I didn’t like that they didn’t mention a high school lot just that we could customize the existing one. It wouldn’t make sense for some of my Sims to go to this particular school. That would be a big downside.

This one is a little bit nitpic but I wish that the cheerleading object came in invisible, like the aisle from the wedding pack.

I also feel like this was perfect opportunity to add sleepovers. But I didn’t see that mentioned.

Can’t you already invite people to stay the night? It would be nice to get some sleeping bags….. would make it feel more like a sleepover. At least there are pillow fights, and if you have outdoor retreat ( and possibly little campers you can add tents and/or beds that fit in the inventory. If you have Get Together, you could make a sleepover club, not sure how well that would work though. I have teen age clubs where the teenagers hang out at someone’s house or a special lot, you can have them start a club meetings anywhere, but I think you have to be playing the leader to change activities.

I thought “stay the night” was tied to a romantic interaction. Is there a platonic way to stay the night that I don’t know of?

Yep, that's a romance interaction. I use MCCC to change it to a friendly interaction instead (it can still be used for both purposes where it makes sense to do so). As far as I know there is no unmodded non-romantic equivalent interaction, but I don't have all Sim 4 packs ever released. So maybe?
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited July 2022
    Okay my only complaint for now is .I don't like the teens look.They don't look like terns they look like young adults.

Yes I was expecting a fresh look or at least sliders to set height.
    It’s odd seeing young adults in a high school pack.

Also, I need more information before I consider even preordering.

Do we get a mix of high school buildings to choose from. The trailer looked as if there was one set venue with different swatches. Are there themes for different countries? 🤔

Can you build your own high school? 🤷🏼‍♂️
    Will there be a school bus 🚌?
    Will there be private high schools with uniforms? 🤔

There could be a lot of fun with dress codes. You could have a clown school or a supernatural theme.

Also as some have mentioned, each country has different rules in high school. Maybe even setting your own rules.
    Sims breaking rules go to detention! 👉🏻😭

Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Okay my only complaint for now is .I don't like the teens look.They don't look like terns they look like young adults.

Do we get a mix of high school buildings to choose from. The trailer looked as if there was one set venue with different swatches. Are there themes for different countries? 🤔

There could be a lot of fun with dress codes. You could have a clown school or a supernatural theme.

Also as some have mentioned, each country has different rules in high school. Maybe even setting your own rules.

They said the highschool building is fully customizable. In the trailer the highschool building has 3 floors while in the blog post it has only 2 floors. I don't know what this means in terms of gameplay, whether we can add new classes or extra school activities this way.
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    Another fact I don't like is the focus on pranks. Even if I don't like it I know pranks and mischief are part of the sims. For other packs I wouldn't mind but not for highschool. The line between pranks and mobbing is very small. Shouldn't be the game against mobbing and not forcing it with new gameplay? Mobbing is a big problem at highschool especially when you are a little bit different.

I know I don't have to prank but it is just another point on my negatives list and it's getting longer and longer.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

They said the highschool building is fully customizable. In the trailer the highschool building has 3 floors while in the blog post it has only 2 floors. I don't know what this means in terms of gameplay, whether we can add new classes or extra school activities this way.

A possible boarding school if beds are added.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    Another fact I don't like is the focus on pranks. Even if I don't like it I know pranks and mischief are part of the sims. For other packs I wouldn't mind but not for highschool. The line between pranks and mobbing is very small. Shouldn't be the game against mobbing and not forcing it with new gameplay? Mobbing is a big problem at highschool especially when you are a little bit different.

I know I don't have to prank but it is just another point on my negatives list and it's getting longer and longer.

Yeah I don't know about a single person IRL that did ANY pranks in high school. Or school, period. Another "Hollywood" thing?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited July 2022
    Cynna wrote: »
    I worry that functional rides, arcade machines, and carnival games will be upcoming in some other pack.
    Actually my biggest wish at this point is that they are actually coming later as non rabbithole
    and this rabbithole land isn't all we get in ts4

also no idea how i went so many pages backwards on this thread o_o i was gonna just check new comments

Edit:
    Agree on Eco Lifestyle :lol:
    I use it quite a bit cause well, trashcans n stuff
    but also I just never feel its very exciting pack to play

IL tho is disagree I loved it from start
    and I still love it even if more gameplay would have been neat
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

Yeah I don't know about a single person IRL that did ANY pranks in high school. Or school, period. Another "Hollywood" thing?

I don't remember that in highschool either. Now in college it happened all the time. But always funny pranks. Never any that was meant to be mean. Like some guys carried a girl's car into the dorm one night and it was sitting there in the lobby the next morning.
  • gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    I'm pretty worried about the world, it looks like there is a lot of set deco and from the trailer I could pick about 4 useable lots. I don't understand why we can't have more lots in this game when it isn't an open world :disappointed:

Anyway other than that I don't have many things to nitpick about this pack which is a good sign, (could change after the livestream) however I did notice the ice cream at the rabbit-hole amusement park seems to be re-used from the cool kitchen stuff pack. I'm ok with them re-using certain things and we've seen it a lot recently but it kinda makes that pack which wasn't all too great to begin with feel more redundant.
    Also that balloon arch at the prom is poorly modelled and reminds me of the early days of the Sims 4 lol.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

gc6164 wrote: »
    I'm pretty worried about the world, it looks like there is a lot of set deco and from the trailer I could pick about 4 useable lots. I don't understand why we can't have more lots in this game when it isn't an open world :disappointed:

Anyway other than that I don't have many things to nitpick about this pack which is a good sign, (could change after the livestream) however I did notice the ice cream at the rabbit-hole amusement park seems to be re-used from the cool kitchen stuff pack. I'm ok with them re-using certain things and we've seen it a lot recently but it kinda makes that pack which wasn't all too great to begin with feel more redundant.
    Also that balloon arch at the prom is poorly modelled and reminds me of the early days of the Sims 4 lol.

There are at least seven lots which were built by community creators. There could be more lots though, as I suspect this is a large world given that it's an EP and there were quite a lot of teens in the trailer who appear to be part of the world.
    I am happy about the icecream, hopefully there are new flavours , also it's sold in cones instead of bowls. Sometimes you just want to buy an icecream and eat it without going through a host and waiter.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    At surface it looks like the developers had a good time creating this pack, a gripe I have is that this highschool pack should have been created after the University pack, so the latter one could have taken the concept further.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Okay, this isn't really a negative of the pack, but kinda ongoing confusion on my part...

I get the disappointment about the Ferris Wheel being a rabbit hole. That makes sense to me, as I can see how it would work otherwise.

But the dark rides? Seriously? How do people think those would work if they weren't rabbit holes? Your sims sit in a small car and go around this tiny track while stuff jumps out at them. And it couldn't maintain the real illusion of a dark ride, because you could see it all... and trust me, dark rides ain't pretty with the lights on. That's part of why they're dark.

I dunno. Maybe I just know too much about how Carnivals and dark rides to expect a viable translation into the Sims.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Okay, this isn't really a negative of the pack, but kinda ongoing confusion on my part...

I get the disappointment about the Ferris Wheel being a rabbit hole. That makes sense to me, as I can see how it would work otherwise.

But the dark rides? Seriously? How do people think those would work if they weren't rabbit holes? Your sims sit in a small car and go around this tiny track while stuff jumps out at them. And it couldn't maintain the real illusion of a dark ride, because you could see it all... and trust me, dark rides ain't pretty with the lights on. That's part of why they're dark.

I dunno. Maybe I just know too much about how Carnivals and dark rides to expect a viable translation into the Sims.

They could make them like the Batuu cantina, with a cutout in the wall and show them going about with maybe two three ghosts jumping at them.
  • gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    edited July 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

I personally wouldn't expect the dark rides to be non rabbit-holes, I think people are more annoyed at the fact that the amusement park is more of a tease as it lacks unique gameplay. You'll be able to get some photos for story-telling, some drinks and food which can be bought elsewhere and play with some chance-cards in the rabbit holes and that's it.

If the ferris wheel was at least non-rabbit hole I think that would've been a happy medium although that may be too ambitious as this pack isn't a carnival pack.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,462 Member

I'm not from Hollywood USA but my schools, both primary and secondary, were chock full of prankers. Usually the teachers happened to be the victims here. Kids put thumb tags on their chairs or pushed garlic tablets in the tap that they got water from. One time they hid one of those first aid cpr dummies -a full bodied lady dressed in a tracksuit- in the press where our (very strict) music teacher stored her notes. I can still hear the poor woman's scream. The entire school did.
    I'm all for fun and jokes, but I'm not a fan of most practical jokes IRL. Some of that stuff can traumatize a person for life.

In The Sims I don't mind, I like a bit of drama in my game, however, the problem here is that there are never any consequences for pulling a prank, or general misbehavior, and this is where the Sims 4 has a problem in my opinion.
    The good thing is that the sim who just got pranked doesn't really care either after what...2 seconds? All best buddies again. No trauma. All good. Do it again. Forgiven and more importantly, forgotten. :D

Until I see the livestream I want to reserve judgment regarding consequences though. I don't want to jump to conslusions.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 yeah, my high school (which was actually a state comprehensive) had plenty of practical jokes going on - but, like you say, they were nearly all aimed at the teachers. Poor things :D

That sort of stuff doesn't bother me in-game cos, well, it's a game.

@gc6164 I agree, they should have just had the other rides as rabbitholes and left the ferris wheel open. 1) because who would woohoo on a ferris wheel anyway - it's usually open-air and way too rocky lol. 2) It would have been fairly easy (not that I'd really know this) to make animations just for sims to sit in a seat and go round on the wheel and maybe rock a bit and wave at sims below. 3) It would have made more sense for the new woohoo to have been in the tunnel of love.
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited July 2022
    There are issues with the dress code of this high school

In France, Britney Spears' outfit is banned.
    Boys can't even wear shorts, it's one week ban for wearing shorts and flip-flops.

artwor10.jpgmlkeh0txdlgd.jpg

I only went to 2 different schools, the first in a town of about 2000 and the second the schools population was almost 2000, so different enough I think. However in both it went like this: if you were popular, dress code simply didn't apply to you. You wouldn't be forced to change or be talked down to or forced to be late to class because they deemed that being able to see your legs through the rips on your jeans more important than your education. Boys also didn't have the dress code apply to them at all. We were given an entire packet of info on the girls dress code. Boys could wear anything, even crop tops which weren't allowed for girls.
    That's just my experience tho and I hope it's something we can customize to our liking depending on the school!

Senior pranks were a thing in my schools. Couldn't tell you what they actually were since I wasn't very school spirity but I feel like this is a common thing in the states? I could be wrong, but basically all seniors plan a prank together towards the end of the year. Other than that yeah, pranks are more of a movie trope I think
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    They added a carnival lot to the game but couldn't add a music club? Or an art club? Seriously?

The lack of clubs for anyone not interested in sports/STEM is extraordinarily disappointing.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I actually forgot about the senior prank. In my school it involved graffiti on the town water tower with the graduation year included. Absolutely not endorsed by the school of course.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Having only clubs for cheerleading, football, chess and computers really leave nothing for the more artsy students. We'd probably have to use Get Together to make any other kinds of clubs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top