Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.
    Precisely, we have packs that are base on specific cultures.Saying that we shouldn't have specific American things in packs.Because not every has them.To me is not representation
    Your right they could not be able to represent everyone in a pack.I do think we more customization lots and other things.

Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, and Island Living are specific destination packs. The theme of each of those packs is the location. It makes sense for those packs to feature a world that lets you explore that destination, its culture, and the events you might experience in in that location.

Education is a worldwide concept. The theme of the pack is not about a location. Since this is likely to be the only education pack for teenagers, it's cutting out people who want to play an experience other than "American high school with football and cheerleaders".

Exactly, Education is a world wide concept. It wou have been nice if the sims 4 were a bit more generic so people in more countries can feel this high school as a familiar setting. But this is a problem with sims 4 in general. All the worlds in this version of the game seem to be created to be one specific real life location. And don't you dare to pretend it is somewhere else. Not being able to get rid of neighbourhood decorations certainly doesn't help in making versatile worlds. In previous sims versions the worlds were neutral enough for simmers to project their own imagination onto the world.

There is nothing wrong with American football or cheerleading. It is great for playing an American high school. But this makes the pack more narrow than it could have been, which is a shame. I hope we can ignore these activities for those simmers who want to play a sim outside of the US. We will have to wait until we find out more about the gameplay in the new pack. It would have been great if we had a non US centric sport as well, so we could have a few more choices. American football and cheerleading for the who want a US focused experience and some other choices like swimming or athletics for those who want a more international feeling. Perhaps an update/integration with the soccer from university so sims can join the soccer team?
    tbh what i have most beef is how they keep adding same type of worlds over and over
    I'd much rather they didn't add world at all in theme like this
    and just took those resources to making more gameplay

like school could just be a lot type you place anywhere really
    same as spas and restaurants

why does it need a specific world i humbly ask
    that just makes them want to focus on some cultural inspo whatever
    over perfectly good gameplay ideas

I wish this could have been a lot type! Then I think I would have gotten much more mileage out of the pack.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    bizuktag wrote: »
    I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.
    Precisely, we have packs that are base on specific cultures.Saying that we shouldn't have specific American things in packs.Because not every has them.To me is not representation
    Your right they could not be able to represent everyone in a pack.I do think we more customization lots and other things.

Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, and Island Living are specific destination packs. The theme of each of those packs is the location. It makes sense for those packs to feature a world that lets you explore that destination, its culture, and the events you might experience in in that location.

Education is a worldwide concept. The theme of the pack is not about a location. Since this is likely to be the only education pack for teenagers, it's cutting out people who want to play an experience other than "American high school with football and cheerleaders".

Exactly, Education is a world wide concept. It wou have been nice if the sims 4 were a bit more generic so people in more countries can feel this high school as a familiar setting. But this is a problem with sims 4 in general. All the worlds in this version of the game seem to be created to be one specific real life location. And don't you dare to pretend it is somewhere else. Not being able to get rid of neighbourhood decorations certainly doesn't help in making versatile worlds. In previous sims versions the worlds were neutral enough for simmers to project their own imagination onto the world.

There is nothing wrong with American football or cheerleading. It is great for playing an American high school. But this makes the pack more narrow than it could have been, which is a shame. I hope we can ignore these activities for those simmers who want to play a sim outside of the US. We will have to wait until we find out more about the gameplay in the new pack. It would have been great if we had a non US centric sport as well, so we could have a few more choices. American football and cheerleading for the who want a US focused experience and some other choices like swimming or athletics for those who want a more international feeling. Perhaps an update/integration with the soccer from university so sims can join the soccer team?
    tbh what i have most beef is how they keep adding same type of worlds over and over
    I'd much rather they didn't add world at all in theme like this
    and just took those resources to making more gameplay

like school could just be a lot type you place anywhere really
    same as spas and restaurants

why does it need a specific world i humbly ask
    that just makes them want to focus on some cultural inspo whatever
    over perfectly good gameplay ideas

I wish this could have been a lot type! Then I think I would have gotten much more mileage out of the pack.
    I agree, being able to create school lots (with requirements ofc like most lot types) and assign where our Sims attend school would have been the best case scenario, giving more freedom and creativity to the players.
  • Options
    simpureheartsimpureheart Posts: 39 Member
    I agree that the teens really don't look like teens (although I do love the look of this EP). I feel like adding a pre-teen lifestage would really help the game, and then teens could be at the end of their teenage years - like 17-18 (hence prom and graduation).
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Kironide wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on whether the school is fixed to the new world? The sports field and the running track may not be transferrable.

I do have interest in the pack, but I would not be surprised if some stuff cannot be used in other neighborhoods and if not, I find it limited in creativity
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    What I don't understand: for the last years the Sims was all about diversity and then they add so stereotype sports like football and cheerleading to the game. Wouldn't unisex sports be better like swimming, tennis or running. There are so many popular sports all over the world which are not associated to a specific sex.

To be fair, there have been male cheerleaders sims at least as far back as TS2, and they showcased a male cheerleader in the trailer. But yeah, I think most people will probably play it in a fairly gender stereotyped way.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Because that is how it is in real life .Its true they are no male cheerleading squads.Because most guys are not interested in cheerleading.

This is... not true at all, actually. There are plenty of male cheerleaders IRL, at both the high school and collegiate level. And before anyone starts bellyaching about "woke" this and "woke" that, it's far from a new phenomenon. Consider the actual history of cheerleading:

https://historydaily.org/cheerleading-was-all-male-until-the-20th-century
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    edited July 2022
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Because that is how it is in real life .Its true they are no male cheerleading squads.Because most guys are not interested in cheerleading.

This is... not true at all, actually. There are plenty of male cheerleaders IRL, at both the high school and collegiate level. And before anyone starts bellyaching about "woke" this and "woke" that, it's far from a new phenomenon. Consider the actual history of cheerleading:

The collegiate cheer squad with the most US national championships is The University of Kentucky. It started as an all male squad, went coed in the 30’s and has been that way ever since. Cheer, by the way, is real athletics.

https://youtu.be/yaljRoKZVvg

High school cheer squads in the past have been stereotypically female, and have been stereotypically about the popular girls rah-rah-ing the team and the crowd while dating the football captain. But, while a lot of teams are female only, teams have become more coed as high school cheering has become more of a sport in its own right.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2022
    cyncie wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »

The collegiate cheer squad with the most US national championships is The University of Kentucky. It started as an all male squad, went coed in the 30’s and has been that way ever since. Cheer, by the way, is real athletics.
    High school cheer squads in the past have been stereotypically female, and have been stereotypically about the popular girls rah-rah-ing the team and the crowd while dating the football captain. But, while a lot of teams are female only, teams have become more coed as high school cheering has become more of a sport in its own right.

Cheerleading has always (and I'm old) been a serious sport. Group gymnastics and dance. It's been dismissed not because it's a trivial sport, but for other reasons.

That said, no marching band/color guard removes probably the biggest population of sports kids from the equation. No theater kids makes me sad. I didn't see anything that looked like a student council nor anything that looked like activism which were both pretty major in my school. This pack reminds me of what old people think the high school experience should be, forgetting that it's not the experience for the vast majority.

Ah well, with each pack, if I get excited for them I am disappointed, but most of them remind me that I'm just not the target audience. This one is an easy pass. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I'll watch quite a few lets plays first.

Edit: Are spoiler tags broken? I tried to spoiler out the video.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    edited July 2022
    Felicity wrote: »

Cheerleading has always (and I'm old) been a serious sport. Group gymnastics and dance. It's been dismissed not because it's a trivial sport, but for other reasons.

That said, no marching band/color guard removes probably the biggest population of sports kids from the equation. No theater kids makes me sad. I didn't see anything that looked like a student council nor anything that looked like activism which were both pretty major in my school. This pack reminds me of what old people think the high school experience should be, forgetting that it's not the experience for the vast majority.

Ah well, with each pack, if I get excited for them I am disappointed, but most of them remind me that I'm just not the target audience. This one is an easy pass. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I'll watch quite a few lets plays first.

I agree with you about cheer always being a sport. The stereotypical cheerleader is a movie trope, really. But, in my rural neck of the woods, the ball players did consider cheerleaders more decorative than anything. I wasn’t a cheerleader, but my two best friends were. As editor of the school paper, I had to argue their case. But, where I lived, we didn’t have competitive cheerleading, which I think has elevated the sport.

I also agree about the seemingly narrow focus of the pack. As I said, I wasn’t into sports. I was the editor of the school paper, class officer, music and theater type kid. The Sims, in general, doesn’t pay much attention to creative outlets, which is where my school experience began and ended. I’m not planning to buy the pack, not because I’m disappointed, but because I just don’t play families. I might buy it for the world if it goes on sale, because it reminds me of where I live.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    -shrugs- In terms of gameplay, teens do need a little something extra to spice things up and having a school lot could be the ticket. It's lept up the list because of that alone but again, always wait for a sale and also for bugs! -glances over at Wedding Stories-
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2022
    While I like the new hairstyles, shoes and necklaces we are getting very much I have to say this is by far the ugliest clothing I haver ever seen in TS4 (minus one awesome denim jacket)!
    Post edited by Erja888 on
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,188 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

I agree with you about cheer always being a sport. The stereotypical cheerleader is a movie trope, really. But, in my rural neck of the woods, the ball players did consider cheerleaders more decorative than anything. I wasn’t a cheerleader, but my two best friends were. As editor of the school paper, I had to argue their case. But, where I lived, we didn’t have competitive cheerleading, which I think has elevated the sport.

I also agree about the seemingly narrow focus of the pack. As I said, I wasn’t into sports. I was the editor of the school paper, class officer, music and theater type kid. The Sims, in general, doesn’t pay much attention to creative outlets, which is where my school experience began and ended. I’m not planning to buy the pack, not because I’m disappointed, but because I just don’t play families. I might buy it for the world if it goes on sale, because it reminds me of where I live.

To be fair we do not know all the details.I imagine they other clubs just not shown in the trailer.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Burn them. Inferniate! The phones I mean. And some of the teens.
    I would LOVE to play as the new head of school and have an option to ban phones from Twitter High and I swear to Greg as soon as ONE teen refuses to adhere to my antiphone policy I'd make her lock up ALL of the students in the coalshed. Her, as in Miss Trunchbull. And yes there will be a coalshed. There will be many coalsheds. I hope I can fully customize this school. >:)

Easy to fix ... lot trait : Off-the-grid :p

I would agree! But there's a "but". 50-70% of my rotational-play residential lots are off-the grid. With Snowy Escape installed living off the grid usually triggers the technophobe lifestyle which means no more of that techno nonsense, even when power is generated. I love that, although the dislike for phones/ technology should also be trait/preference related and available in Basegame. My sims shouldn't have to live on a lone mountain in order to bypass the default -phone addiction- state.

Unfortunately the off-the grid lot trait is also unavailable for community lots and I'm going to assume that schools are community lots. My sweet cheeked teens will have yet again access to the intranet. Anyway why am I even complaining? This is a pack focused on the Twittagrammit generation. This is exactly what modern High-Schoolers do. I'm just an old and clueless Millennial. :D

*storms off to build wild water raft out of toilet rolls*.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

To be fair we do not know all the details.I imagine they other clubs just not shown in the trailer.

That's what I thought when I watched the university trailer. But in the end I was very dissapointed about the limited amount of clubs and activities. Usually we don't get more as they show us in the trailer. I've limited my expectations.
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    Okay my only complaint for now is .I don't like the teens look.They don't look like terns they look like young adults.

Um, where do you live where teens actually look like teens? haha rotf lmao
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited July 2022
    Oooh, more cute clutter for sims to get stuck around.

Probably will see her sleeping on the couch, having an accident from too much coffee or ditching school stuck in her room.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I’ll reserve most of my negative comments till I get confirmation of my possible disappointments.

But I didn’t like that they didn’t mention a high school lot just that we could customize the existing one. It wouldn’t make sense for some of my Sims to go to this particular school. That would be a big downside.

This one is a little bit nitpic but I wish that the cheerleading object came in invisible, like the aisle from the wedding pack.

I also feel like this was perfect opportunity to add sleepovers. But I didn’t see that mentioned.

Can’t you already invite people to stay the night? It would be nice to get some sleeping bags….. would make it feel more like a sleepover. At least there are pillow fights, and if you have outdoor retreat ( and possibly little campers you can add tents and/or beds that fit in the inventory. If you have Get Together, you could make a sleepover club, not sure how well that would work though. I have teen age clubs where the teenagers hang out at someone’s house or a special lot, you can have them start a club meetings anywhere, but I think you have to be playing the leader to change activities.

I thought “stay the night” was tied to a romantic interaction. Is there a platonic way to stay the night that I don’t know of?
  • Options
    JunkyPoem wrote: »
    Okay my only complaint for now is .I don't like the teens look.They don't look like terns they look like young adults.

Um, where do you live where teens actually look like teens? haha rotf lmao

The south and midwest.
  • Options

That's what I thought when I watched the university trailer. But in the end I was very dissapointed about the limited amount of clubs and activities. Usually we don't get more as they show us in the trailer. I've limited my expectations.

Honestly Disover University was very disappointing.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

And I loved the Discover University trailer and was very excited about when I first watched it.
    Maybe Highschool School Years is much better than I currently feel about. But I wait to purchase it untill I've watched a few let's plays and we have further informations.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

And I loved the Discover University trailer and was very excited about when I first watched it.
    Maybe Highschool School Years is much better than I currently feel about. But I wait to purchase it untill I've watched a few let's plays and we have further informations.

I am glad we seem to have activities.Thats a big part of college that was lacking.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    My local high school offers these after school activities:

Art Supported Study
    Athletics Club
    Badminton
    Baking Club
    Breakfast Club
    Bus Ed. Supported Study
    Code Club
    Computing
    Supported Study
    Craft Club
    Cross Stitch
    Dance
    English Supported Study
    Film Club
    Gaelic Drama Club
    Gaelic Supported Study
    Girls Football
    Graphics and D&M Supported study
    Gymnastics
    Maths Support Class
    Maths Supported Study
    Modern Studies Club
    Music Practice Club
    Netball Club
    RMPS N4/5 Supported Study
    Robotics Club
    Rugby
    S1 - S3 Football
    S1 - S6 Games/Chess Club S1 Get involved group
    S1 Lunch Club/Buddy
    School Band
    S1-S6 School of Rock Club
    Science Club
    Science homework club
    The Greatest Show choir
    Traditional Music Band
    Trampolining
    Ukelele Club
    Volleyball

We have after school activities, but they are not connected to the school at all. The school is a job you go to as a kid, that's it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    procian wrote: »
    Body hair? so were getting nudity in the game?....Bit 18+ is it not?

Er... not really? That's like saying hair on your arms is 18+.

I DO really hope we can disable body hair completely tho, so it's not only your Sim that doesn't have it but random townies get Austin Power body hair or something.
    (To be clear, I don't want body hair, at all).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The blog said you could join clubs "like" football, cheer and chess, so there are almost certainly more options. I'm guessing football and cheer are the only ones that involve new animations since they're the ones featured. Which means band is very unlikely, sadly. Lack of band and orchestra and choir is going to be the biggest thing keeping it from feeling like my high school experience.

I'm also guessing a lot of them will be similar to the GF drama club, where you're expected to keep raising the relevant skill in your free time in between rabbithole meetings. Maybe there will be some rooms/outdoor areas in the school where the clubs can gather to practice together. Hopefully there will be some customization so if we have CiL we can add a basketball club and practice space, or a theater space if we have GF, etc. If we can't make our own that will be disappointing.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2022

Off-topic for a second: thanks for that link. That squad is truly amazing. The flyers are death-defying. And they owe a lot of that to the skilled team members down on the ground. The level of trust is phenomenal.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top