Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

should fairies and spellcasters share a rivalry?

Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
edited June 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
so with the sims 4 werewolves we have a cool dynamic and rivalry system with vampires and werewolves having lore which makes them dislike each other. Should spellcasters share a rivalry with fairies once the fairy pack comes out?
t0j4i8.jpg

should fairies and spellcasters share a rivalry? 39 votes

yes, I love drama between supernatural beings
23%
Lesejbbixtersviola-illyriaKittHavenKimmerVyollaGreenTurtleLT24Zoeyevester 9 votes
no, I want them to get along
46%
CK213julienrob2004OolonglongMartinvSerraNolwencyncieLatinaBunnyQueenMercyEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeHorrorgirl6RedShoe7SERVERFRAAmapola76SeashoreLiviaViolettaOlalla1986shobontea 18 votes
other
30%
crocobauraNyxLunaStarMariefoxprice83Babykittyjadeannaliese39SimsLovinLycanDaniRose2143GlacierSnowSimmingalDaWaterRatCangwenVeeDub 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I’d prefer a mutual “so those guys are a little odd, but they’re decent people” attitude unless there’s some deep “spellcasters got their magic by stealing something from the fae” lore.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    I don’t see why they would have. The werewolf/vampire rivalry lore is based in some outside sources. As far as I know, there’s no assumed rivalry with witches/Spellcasters. I’d say fairy lore has more rivalry with plain old humans than anything, what with changelings, fairy rings, and other potential ways to ensnare hapless people.
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    What is it with Ea always wanting our sims to be fighting each other . It is bad enough already we get that silly brawl day event , Mrs Crumplebottom trying to ruin dates with her constant trying to hit our sims with her bag for flirting and then now werewolves and vampires kicking off , I now have to either spend hours finding some random townie and becoming their friend to stop the fights or just going through them and deleting the ones that my sims for no apparent reason now hate
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    other
    Maybe fairies could be grumpy and mischievous and play tricks on everyone. The only ones they would get along with would be plant sims, werewolves when in werewolf form and animals.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    But I wouldn't mind them trying to one-up each other.

Fairy: You may know magic, but we ARE magic.
    Spellcaster: Be quiet, or I'll vacuum you free of fairy dust.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    other
    If they do the lore well (as was done with Werewolves) I'd be cool with it, but unlike Fur vs Fang, there is no pop culture or folklore precedent for it.

I mean, ideally the conflict in Faeries will be Seelie vs. Unseelie, rather than Faerie vs. anything else, but I'll likely roll with whatever we get.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    other
    CK213 wrote: »

I like that. Maybe they will get revenge if they catch you stealing their stash of fairy dust and replace it with some itchy powder.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    other
    I would say "no" but I don't necessarily need them to get along (at least not in a happy happy joy joy kind of way). However, I would prefer that their interactions begin neutral (as in no particular like or dislike for each other) because I want to be able to make my own rivalries in any way that I, my own story-maker, see fit. If it were to be done similarly to the Werewolves pack, that would be another automatic pass for me on buying another pack.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I do enjoy the supernatural drama, it seems like a fun idea, but I really don't see why spellcasters and fae would hate each other, and I'd love something different instead of a rehash of the vampire-werewolves thing. Maybe they actually work together, with complementary powers / ressources that they can provide each other. Quite frankly, when spellcasters came out, I was hoping magic would be a subsystem any sim could learn, and that "born spellcasters" would be fairies, giving them quicker scaling to their magic ability and some unique abilities and spells. So having them be rivals instead would feel weird to me.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited June 2022
    other
    Personally, I would prefer toggles so players could set rivalries between the different occult species if they wanted to, or an occult species vs humans and so forth. I don't want things like that to be pre-determined.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    edited June 2022
    other
    Yes, but not for the sake of drama. I would even say rivalry would be too a strong word for what I'm thinking of.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited June 2022
    other
    You know I was gonna say no then i was gonna say yes and now its just all too complicated

so I'll just make unneededly long post and try to figure what i really think :lol:
    1. I consider fairies as beings that existed before humans on earth therefore much wiser and more powerful and in tune with the nature

2. I consider fairies to be natural beings that protect and nurture all that is natural / specific place or things they consider important to sim earth

3. I consider fairies able to use anything that is natural to do their bidding even if it is sometimes from human perspective evil of them

4. I consider elementals as humans keeping peace between fairies and humans who have few powers as blessing from specific fairy protector

5. the problem arises with introduction of aliens because they are not earth beings and therefore unnatural to earth which fairies hold dear

6. I think when aliens landed few humans learnt science which quickly turned into humans becoming spellcasters via alien science therefore losing their respect for fairies and the elemental leaders and the earth

7. which brings about spellcasters using science/ magic for unnatural things such as creating vampires and werewolves and zombies and mummies and cowplants yes I think fairies may have beef with such manipulations

8. which brings enslaving lesser fairies for spellcasters own purposes (say creating familiars) which yes surely they have beef with and using fairy things for their own purposes with no regard for the nature

9. non occult humans still blame fairies for all of this considering they don't know the whole alien spellcaster werewolves vampires mermaids truth and therefore blame "evil fairies" for all bad things they do

10. plantsims are product of strange fertilizers that use fairy product in wrong way i think fairies would be bamboozled about them being unnaturally natural

11. mother is alien sixam plant brought to earth therefore not doing fairies bidding either its invasive species to their sim earth a foe if you may

12. not gonna get to simbots they're probably what fairies would hate most purely techy and sciencey things with little bit of unnatural magic

13. gnomes are lesser fairies (protectors of dwelling) but also used unnaturally by spellcasters

14. Genie and wishing well are also enslaved fairies trapped to human objects rather than their natural dwellings

15. mermaids i am uncertain of because they do control water n all and are sort of nature spirits in that sense but maybe its the turning of not by birth mermaids via unnatural magic they'd be against

16. grim and ghosts are fine they are natural beings of sim earth unless ofc ghosts are spellcasters or something

17. skeleton may be another thing they don't like as you use totem if we consider totems early spellcaster invention trapping natural magic

18. Imaginary friend could also be trapped fairy in human object or ghost

19. Dragons and unicorns depends if we think they were created via unnatural magic or if they're natural to sim earth but i like to think dragons exist naturally in which they could be fairies friends yet again used wrongly by spellcasters

20. Fairies should have more magic than spellcasters just as natural birthright

I have therefore established i shall want to play my fairies as snobs that hate everyone except foliage natural to their climate and would absolutely protect bee over a human child :lol:

oh and let us not forget tooth fairy and the more violent species bone fairy that may attack your sims for their bones

speaking of which bonehilda might be another foeship entirely

do think I'll want to be able to also create fairies that are evil or good respectively

and i don't particularily want to have my fairies know like all the lore (well whatever lore it actually be) by default like maybe theres young fairies who don't give flying f- what you are as long as you do not harm earth in which comes the " I don't particularily want them to fight everyone they meet and dislike everyone by default" part

therefore I finish this unneededly long post in actually now very obvious conclusion that somehow took me way too long to realize:

let the player choose.

maybe add alignment or yet again would be more handy to have likes and dislikes for every lifestate separately for every individual sim

so you could have sims that likes werewolves
    or sims that like vamps
    or sims that hate humans
    or sims that hate idk mermaids or something

and it wouldn't really be whole species hates another species kinda thing you can't change to fit whatever your version of lore is
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,833 Member
    other
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I would say "no" but I don't necessarily need them to get along (at least not in a happy happy joy joy kind of way). However, I would prefer that their interactions begin neutral (as in no particular like or dislike for each other) because I want to be able to make my own rivalries in any way that I, my own story-maker, see fit. If it were to be done similarly to the Werewolves pack, that would be another automatic pass for me on buying another pack.

One plus so far with the werewolf pack, that insta-hate with the vampires has been really easy to overcome. Just a couple of minutes and I've been able to get things where I want them.

With that said I much prefer to have everything start off in the middle. I want my relationships to be like real life, all over the place. Some good, some bad, and everything in between. If all relationships start completely neutral I don't have to spend as much time trying to turn a deeply negative one, into besties for life if that's how I see their relationship as it fits into my story. I can spend that extra time elsewhere in my story.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    other
    VeeDub wrote: »

One plus so far with the werewolf pack, that insta-hate with the vampires has been really easy to overcome. Just a couple of minutes and I've been able to get things where I want them.

With that said I much prefer to have everything start off in the middle. I want my relationships to be like real life, all over the place. Some good, some bad, and everything in between. If all relationships start completely neutral I don't have to spend as much time trying to turn a deeply negative one, into besties for life if that's how I see their relationship as it fits into my story. I can spend that extra time elsewhere in my story.

Well said. I understand that the werewolf/vampire thing can be pretty easily overcome, at least in individual cases. But as you said, I'd much rather spend my time creating my stories instead of spamming (often uncharacteristic and meaningless to my sims) friendly interactions just to get to a point in the middle. I want to watch rivalries or friendships actually develop over time, and for reasons that make sense for the individuals at the time. I play a lot of sims, and I simply don't have the energy to spend that much time just to get them all to the point of being able to do that. :lol:

I don't mean to derail the thread topic into one about werewolves and vampires; it was just the first example that came to my mind. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    other
    I don't really mind either way as long as the player can choose for them to get along if they wish.

I don't see why there would be a rivalry though. Spellcaster or not, the Fair Folk are not to be trifled with.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited June 2022
    other
    I don't want built-in conflict. I want to decide for my self who dislikes who in my own stories.

I would be fine, however, with settings that players can choose that determine how different types of sims feel about other types of sims. Or even better, a CAS option that lets you choose how a specific sim feels about other types of sims.

Conflict is fine. It just needs to be customizable so players can use it for their own story and world ideas.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    yes, I love drama between supernatural beings
    Yes please. I love all the drama. >:)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2022
    No, thanks. The vamps vs weres aspect was one of the potential dealbreakers that made me not want to get the Werewolves pack. (Some simmers helped me see how to mitigate the damage from the animosity so I can get to playing more mixed families in peace.)

I play with mixed families, so I want them to get along. I don’t want this kind of forced (no player choice) kinds of lore and forced drama.

I would hate it if we got forced animosity drama yet again. :(
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I like harmony with my sims. That's why I don't like Agnes Crumplebottom, she's just so mean with wacking other sims with her purse. Too bad Greg can't just turn her into a steak. However, she is a clone & unfortunately immortal.
    One another note, I actually have quite a few "fake Fairies" as actual Spellcasters in the Fairy costume. :p
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited June 2022
    It’s not that I feel that there shouldn’t be any conflict in the game. I love Agnes, Greg, alien abductions, Murphy beds and cow plants. We complain about how “boring” the gameplay is on the one hand, then want to nerf out anything that brings a little excitement into it. My take is that a rivalry between fairies and Spellcasters would just seem artificially shoe horned in for the sake of conflict itself, instead of having more organic roots. Mischievous and even malevolent fae targeting human sims would be more in character, I think.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    other
    I lean towards no. I absolutely love drama and conflict and I love what they did with vamps vs werewolves but it just doesn't fit fairies to me.
    Fairies are not really in conflict with anyone and are in general gentle beautiful beings. I know people have different ideas of Fairies based on what they've heard but me and my family knew a guru in real life from Sri Lanka who told us all the secrets about "real" Fairies and he had all of the evidence to prove it and he would make fairy food for them. I won't go into all that here but they are said to be the most beautiful of all beings and can take on the form of absolutely anything they think of.
    You see them once to transcend a certain level of wisdom.
    But generally they are kind. I would like to see more of a kind hearted but mischief fairy angle taken rather than one of conflict. Though I'm open to whatever they decide for them.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited June 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »

I like that. Maybe they will get revenge if they catch you stealing their stash of fairy dust and replace it with some itchy powder.

Ha!
    I think it would be hilarious if a spellcaster could snatch a fairy out of the air while it is in sprite form and shake it for fairy dust to make a new potion. Of course they can ask for it if they are at Maxed friendship with a fairy, but since there is no other source, they might have to take it, especially if they have a low reputation with fairies. Regaining reputation and then building a friendship would take a very long time.

Also, normal sims could make this potion.
    Since fairies are pure magical creatures, they wouldn't need to know magic to make the potion.

They could catch them in a jar TS2 style and then shake the jar to liberate the fairy sprite of fairy dust. The more fairies they shake up, the more dust in the jar. And the more their reputations with fairies drop. :D
    https://youtu.be/Nb90uYDgVJg
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds