Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your Merfolk doing today?

Comments

• Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I’m going to check on my game tomorrow, but I had a great trip.

Just got back from my cousin’s wedding in the mountains, and I got to see some wonderful places, including a bit of spelunking before my flight home.

If I wasn’t on the forums; I was with family. It was a very busy weekend!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    @Daephene Now that you mention it, all the spellcasters hang out at that bar in my game. I don't have Island Living so no merfolk. I don't have Vampires either, but somehow @Simmingal always knows to show up there too...

(No aliens so far, and I do have those.)
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    They're randomly having dolphin-themed seizures and squawking at the sky. It's extremely offputting...

There's a mod for that. I had to kill that behavior, or my mermaids were going to die a spectacular Sims death lol. I still haven't opened my occult save, but the one child mermaid in the household I'm playing in another save is doing fine. Or is it two? I can never remember - I roll for occults in this family lol.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    @mightysprite It's every occult in my game except for ghosts. It's pretty fun, especially when Rory wants to have supernatural smackdowns. She hasn't fought any mermaids yet though.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    @Daephene That's pretty cool. Including aliens or no?
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    @mightysprite My aliens have definitely been showing up.

@Metior_Ice I am sure your merfolk would show up too! I haven't seen Lily there yet but my aliens and vampires and spellcasters have been putting in appearances as well as the premade ones.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Daephene wrote: »
    @mightysprite My aliens have definitely been showing up.

@Metior_Ice I am sure your merfolk would show up too! I haven't seen Lily there yet but my aliens and vampires and spellcasters have been putting in appearances as well as the premade ones.

Seems like an occult hotspot!

I have a feeling that my merfolk would make an appearance too!

—————

I just had Dylan show up as a Vendor at the Flea Market. He gave his mom a 25% discount on the items he was selling!

But, I really can’t wait to get the pack. I just can’t afford it right now.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    My first socially awkward teen mermaid had a meltdown over acne recently! She also found the water around the pier gets cold at night so she's trying to keep busy until she can get acclimated to the cold.

ets8of9.png
  • Options
    Here's a little teaser for my next story update!

Dylan and Zeph discuss Dylan meeting a Global Super Star with their father!

52254864929_d7c896fe11_b.jpg

Juniper has a bit of Summer Romance!

52255074880_13290a6809_b.jpg

Zephyr invites Arihi to the Flea market to practice Haggling. Turns out, her other twin son was a vendor!

52275194815_2e7050476c_b.jpg

Zephyr being an adorable dork!

52274708436_4a8a9cbd3d_b.jpg

Dylan and Cecelia engage in some romance! Apparently, the bathroom is the perfect place to exchange roses!

52274970794_bf546541df_b.jpg
  • Options
    Kalamainu'u's Siren Song caused a death in Sulani today. It's a rare occurrence and usually happens to an elderly Sim but every has a chance of drowning!

8TWIwyk.png
  • Options
    @Kerrigan how did you manage that? The Siren’s Call ability is non-lethal in my game! I mean, it should be able to kill a townie, but they still swim to shore from the middle of the ocean!

I’ve only been able to kill a sim with this ability if they are in the household or I wall off all possible escape!
  • Options
    BonxieBonxie Posts: 5,695 Member
    Moonbathing... :smile:

y4mOTDuExWBj_bqBDGJ5zXxXMkKjZ4YheJuQtEp36tVQc-_otxivx7pQQAyhPj1OMW22rAWHTV8unYYhluL3EWvL0x_B7LkE2NYHfZ2blrLG4fwKHvlCXWt4dZcRiYzJXNs2eZa4qefx5GDD8j_5gQfSQF1Tvr2fJAJanOYbyUnRUJmdetOfTfrHwe5uxs8CX6i?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
    Bonxie: Great Skua, stercorarius skua. Meet me on Fair Isle.
  • Options
    Look Where You are Going

Juniper's thought: "I think I'll go for a swim."

52283423516_0a5e13d89b_b.jpg

"Hold on, I got to check my messages real quick."

52283434088_356efd8345_b.jpg

"That's pretty cool. I didn't know Dylan had a new DJ track on Simstagram."

52283423486_a8290b5d7a_b.jpg

"Let me take a quick listen..."

Juniper feels his legs transform into a green tail. Unable to stand, he slips underwater and drops his phone in the lake.

"Well, that didn't go how I thought it would. At least my phone is waterproof."

52283906210_99c6475955_b.jpg
  • Options
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    @Kerrigan how did you manage that? The Siren’s Call ability is non-lethal in my game! I mean, it should be able to kill a townie, but they still swim to shore from the middle of the ocean!

I’ve only been able to kill a sim with this ability if they are in the household or I wall off all possible escape!

Sorry I missed your post! Usually, it gets elders. If they're swimming for a while they get that Dangerously Tired moodlet and if you hit them with Siren's Call it can finish them off. I feel bad for knowing that because most of the time it happens to Kaela Huata, Lia's grandmother. She loves to swim on that beach so if I'm playing Kalamainu'u, I'm usually stalking Kaela if she's in the water. I really don't know what that Young Adult sim had been through that caused it. That was most definitely a first.

Here's a pic from 2020, the first time it happened.

2AqRPjV.png
  • Options
    @Kerrigan I honestly didn't know that it was possible to drown humans with the Siren's Call. It's good to know that there are situations where it can be lethal. I'll have to be careful. I've had plenty of sims swim from the middle of deep ocean to the shore after a Siren's Call, so I assumed that it would be impossible to kill with that ability if the sim isn't in the household.

When I think of in-game consequences, I think of things like the Siren's Call being more deadly or something. For a long time, I thought it was an ability my merfolk could use without any consequence.
  • Options
    Sorry about my late update. Circumstances would not let me write an update until tonight. Anyways, it's a bit longer, so I hope it makes up for the delay.

Dylan and Zeph are referring to posts by @GalacticGal in the "What Happened in your Game Today?" Thread. The posts are in the links.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18152479/#Comment_18152479

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18155139/#Comment_18155139

Dylan had a chance to meet one of his favorite famous idols here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18167668/#Comment_18167668

Calum, Dylan, and Zephyr talk about Dylan's meeting with Erik and the music he makes later, after high school. My merfolk are immortal so they wouldn't have aged a day between meeting Erik as a teen and seeing him grow in the music career.

Here's a link to the rest of my story if anyone wants to catch up!

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/994423/metior-ices-merfolk-legacy-story/p1

Catching up with Family

While Zephyr caught up with his father, the merboys, Juniper and Alex, hungout in the nearby shallows.

52254864139_99753cda93_b.jpg
    Juniper: "See, this is a great place to swim."

Alex: "You're right. I shouldn't have doubted you."

52255074600_d6d2137469_b.jpg

Juniper: "I don't think there's a better world for swimming!"

Alex: "Sulani does have a lot of great places to swim. But, what's your point?"

52254597698_b37d5ea193_b.jpg

Juniper: "Just saying that if Sulani has the best places to swim, the only place that would be better is underwater."

52253610897_16f960a362_b.jpg

Alex: "I guess. I've always wondered about what it would be like to swim in an underwater world."

52254597693_ce94859303_b.jpg

Juniper: "Personally, I prefer staying close to the sun. The deep sea is too dark for me."

Alex: "That's a good point. If I were to go underwater, I'd want to swim around brighter reefs and seagrass meadows."

52254597248_5dbdabf073_b.jpg

Juniper: "Once you get deep enough, I've heard that there's no sunlight and the merfolk look very different."

52253611247_b930962e51_b.jpg

Juniper: "But the crabs look like giant spiders!"

52254597233_50059085d2_b.jpg

Juniper: "Could be a fairly creepy place to explore."

52254864494_7aa6f9e613_c.jpg

Juniper: "But at least there won't be any fire ants!"

52255074565_19df1a37c4_b.jpg

Juniper: "They make my fins squirm, and trust me, you do not want to get bitten by them."

52254577281_ebdabda79e_b.jpg

The following day, the Zalrian Mermen took the merboys to the beach to give the mermaids, their wives, a break. Juniper splashed around with his nephew, Sora.

52253610832_dd1e325e01_b.jpg

52253611147_c932b49ac8_c.jpg

"And the fish just kept talking... I swear, dad needs to give the fish in the aquarium more attention."

52254864419_7a799ce518_b.jpg

Calum: "I heard that Erik Cantrell has a grotto full of trophies from the Starlight Accolades!"

Zeph: "Dad, I don't think humans have grottos for trophies."

52254864929_d7c896fe11_b.jpg

Calum: "Where else would you keep so many things?"

Zeph: "I don't know. It would take a cave bigger than a grotto."

Zeph turned to Dylan. "You got to meet him. What do you think?"

52254577656_a25e16e40e_b.jpg

Dylan: "I don't know where he would keep so many trophies, but I'm going to frame the autograph I got and place it in our grotto on Mua Pel'Am!"

Dylan: "Meeting Erik was awesome! I had a great time, and I think I was so starstuck that I got a crush!"

Zeph: "Please tell me you had a little restraint."

Dylan: "I did get caught up in the moment and flirted, but he's taken. I think Cecelia would probably beach me if I went too far anyways."

Zeph: "Well, at least you guys stayed on good terms."

Calum: "Dylan, I thought I taught you better. Once you sing your Charmer's Lullaby and give another a Mermaid's Kiss, you are committed to them."

Dylan: "Dad, I know. I won't do it again."

Dylan: "By the way, have you heard the song, Whirlwind in Sulani! That's one of my favorite songs!"

Zeph: "Back of my Mind is a good song. I saw Erik get the Accolode on the TV."

Dylan: "That was an epic song too."

Dylan: "Can you believe that Erik didn't know merfolk were real?"

Zeph: "I guess he really didn't know why the host was late to the show."

Dylan: "Are you talking about Ukupanipo? Yeah, he was swimming at the beach. Being a merman, I think he just lost track of time."

Calum: "Well, I hope we can trust a global superstar with the secret of our existence."

Dylan: "I'm certain that he won't put us in harms way!"

Dylan struck a pose. "I have complete confidence that he will do right by us."

Zeph: "I'm a bit jealous though. I wish I had the chance to meet him too!"

Calum: "Now, you have to show me that autograph, I still can't believe you got see Erik Cantrel!"

52254864949_7cef399c22_b.jpg

As the sun set, Juniper was gooding around with Sora still.

Juniper: "What did the sea say to the beach?"

Sora: "I don't know."

Juniper: "Nothing, it just waved."

52254577496_9694f47d32_c.jpg

Juniper: "Have you ever thought about what life on land in another world would be like?"

52253611372_81dee66a37_b.jpg

Sora pulled back in the water. "Why would any merman or mermaid want to live on land and in another world?"

Juniper: "I don't know. I love to swim, but sometimes, I wonder about what humans do all day if they don't swim?"

Sora: "I can't imagine a life without my tail and staying on land."

52255074830_932c37f559_b.jpg

Sora: "Juniper, don't tell me you'd rather be human?"

52254577461_3cc9379765_b.jpg

Juniper lept out of the water. "Me human, as if I would want that."

52254597738_85521a58bc_b.jpg

Juniper used his powerful tail to flick saltwater at Sora.

52254864679_214b2c2b36_b.jpg

Sora laughed. "At least warn me before you shower me with sea water!"

Juniper: "Where would the fun be in that?!"

52253611347_be5bbc5a56_b.jpg

As the night set in, the mermen and merboys went on land to dance to Island Music.

Juniper: "And that's when I found a soda can floating in the deep sea. Can you believe that it got down into such deep water?!"

52254597463_7cb2351daa_b.jpg

Extras:

Merfolk have Waterproof Phones!
    Still can't actually use the phone while in the water. This is some of the autonmous behavior with merfolk after the update. Apparrently, my merfolk will wade in the ocean and fiddle with their phones from time to time. At least they don't try to use their phone while they swim.

52253611207_8a46dc938c_b.jpg

52254577226_26e6c387d5_b.jpg

Someone has a Crush on Kemps!
    Autonomous Flirting does seem to be a thing now. Never noticed it as much, but a Townie gave Kemps a flirty introduction, possibly in front of her husband, Orange Bailey-Moon.

Like, I know Kemps is handsome and good looking, like most of my mermen... that's pretty normal for reef merfolk... But, he's out of your league and married to Isla.

52283692929_7aa0bf275d_b.jpg
  • Options
    Calum stargazed with Sora. He showed the young merboy all the merfolk consetlations from Triton to Posedion. He also showed him Mami Wata and the Sea Goddess Pel'Am. He explained that the Zalrians watched over Mua Pel'Am because it was a sacred responsibility given to the Sapphire Royal family by the mermaid goddess. Sora was fascinated by the stars and the depths of merfolk culture.

52283423391_457f1f50f2_z.jpg

On the shore, Cecelia serenaded Dylan. The mercouple was enamoured.

52283692419_8899c7f10f_c.jpg

Eventually, Dylan and Cecelia went into the Bathroom and exchanged roses. This seemed like the perfect place for that.

Cecelia: "You're the Sea Flower that makes me feel complete!"

Dylan: "You're the Jelly in my Jellyfish Jam!"

Dylan gave Cecelia a rose. "You are the most precious sea flower I've ever seen! Your beauty is without equal!"

52274970794_bf546541df_b.jpg

They actually got these sentiments: :D
    52283693019_30f662571d_b.jpg

52283434528_67769a3030_b.jpg

My mermen had a tricklside competition!
    52283693064_5780244a2e_z.jpg

52283423936_c80da88dbf_c.jpg

Zeph won!

52274708436_4a8a9cbd3d_b.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Juniper and Kendra's Date at the Romance Festival

After spending time with his family, Juniper went on a date with his girlfriend Kendra. Juniper greeted Kendra with a kiss, and the two merteens embraced.

52255074880_13290a6809_b.jpg
    After swimming in the Sulani Lagoon, they went to the romance Festival in San Myshuno. Juniper exchanged promise rings with Kendra.

Juniper: "I learned about this human custom and I wanted to give it a try. This is the human version of our Mermaid's Kiss. I promise to always be yours if you promise the same."

Kendra: "Of course, I promise to always be yours if you promise the same."

52254864364_df9fe61bcc_b.jpg

Kendra was so caught up in the moment that she grabbed Juniper and pulled him over onto his back and leaned in for a kiss. The moment caught Juniper by surprise and he lost control of his shapeshifting, reverting to his natural form.

52254597513_c626c5dfb5_b.jpg

In the end, Juniper relaxed and returned the kiss. With a tail on land, it wasn't like he would go anywhere anyways. Kendra made sure to support Juniper and hold him until he regained control of his shapeshifting.

52254597493_d99584892f_b.jpg

When Juniper was able to stand again, the two embraced.

52254597168_e5a0c7218b_c.jpg

The Twins Get their Mom out of the House

While Zephyr was swimming around Sulani, he got a great idea. He called his mom after meeting with his twin brother. Their mom was determined to stay home for hours, and the twins wanted to get her out of the house.

52283424061_e87a8aa9af_c.jpg
    When they arrived at the Flea Market, there was a thunderstorm and Dylan was prepared to meet with his mom. While his twin traveled with his mom, Dylan gathered treasures, or junk, from the sea to sell.

52282442812_41c1c90ea6_b.jpg

Calum joined them, not wanting to miss a chance to spend time with his family. It was easy for Calum to change the weather on a whim. Arihi saw her other son and decided to approach him. She prefered to avoid strangers.

Arihi: "So, your brother tells me that he's heard I'm not good at haggling."

Dylan listened, but he kept up his performance like a true actor.

Arihi: "I don't suppose you can give me a discount for old times sake?"

Dylan closed his eyes and carefully considered the request. "I don't know. It wasn't cheap to get the inventory."

Arihi: "But, I'm your mother?"

Dylan: "That's true, but I have a business to run."

52283434723_56640910e3_h.jpg

Arihi: "How about this? If you or Zeph run into trouble, I'll use my powers as the Mother Elemental to help you out of any problem. You just have to ask for my help, and I'll be there."

Dylan: "Even if it means you have to leave Sulani."

Arihi: "Even if I have to travel to another world."

Dylan: "I can take that deal. I'll give you a 25% discount."

Arihi: "Really, just 25%?"

Dylan: "I can't give this away for free. I'm not running a charity here."

Arihi grumbled. "Deal!"

Dylan shook Arihi's hand. "It's been a pleasure doing business."

52275194815_2e7050476c_b.jpg

Arihi caught up with Calum and Zeph, her husband and son were dancing to the festival music.

Arihi: "I just bought a new lamp and made a deal with our son."

Calum: "Really!? Don't tell me you bought something we can recover from the seafloor for free?"

Arihi: "Dylan told me that he paid a lot for that inventory!?"

Calum: "And you believed him? He's the Spirit of the Sea and a Merman... It's not hard for him to bring stuff up from the seafloor."

Arihi: "I knew it was too good to be true. But, I can't go back on the deal I made."

Calum: "What kind of deal did you make?"

Arihi: "Dylan agreed to give me a discount if I step in to help him out of a tough situation, even if I have to travel to another world."

Calum: "So, how much did you get off for that? I mean, you are the Mother Elemental... Your authority is pretty strong in the Spirit World."

Arihi: "I got 25% off the items."

Calum: "25% off an item Dylan salvaged from the sea for free in exchange for a favor from one of the most powerful spiritual beings in all the worlds."

Arihi: "That just about sums it up."

Calum: "I don't believe Dylan could pull that off alone. He's creative, but..."

Zeph was dancing behind Arihi. "I love this festival music!"

52283693174_63670255ad_h.jpg

After the festival was over, Zeph challenged his parents to a game of basketball. Apparently, it was supposed to be a fun human sport. Zeph proposed to his parents another deal.

Zeph: "If I win, I can enlist your help with whatever I want."

Calum turned to his son. "And if we win, you'll pay us back the money your mom paid your brother."

Zeph: "Deal."

The Mermen and Mermaid changed and prepared for the contest. Arihi wasn't half human, but she was more familiar with human attire than her merman husband and merman son. Zeph and Calum changed into active outfits they would wear around the islands.

Calum prepared to make the first shot. It was an easy 2 points.

52283906160_93e9bc4327_h.jpg

52283693169_04dd6eda11_b.jpg

Zeph focused his Elemental powers into his Basketball and threw toward the hoop. The ball caught on fire and landed through the hoop. Zeph won 3 points from a long shot."

52282443517_0f65af9858_h.jpg

Arihi threw her ball to the hoop and made a 3 pointer long shot. The parents took the lead.

52283906830_b18f89ab72_b.jpg

The game turned fierce as the Parents competed agains their son, but in the end, it was Zeph who won. Zeph landed 3 pointer after 3 pointer. Every time the basketball flew through the air, the Spirit of the Sky had full control over where it went. For Zeph, there was no contest. His parents agreed to his terms. Arihi would help her sons once if they needed it. Calum would step in to help Zeph if he needed it.

52283424021_deb0123ab5_h.jpg

To Create or to Preserve, that is the Question!

After returning to Sulani, the family gathered at Nereus Lagoon. Jade wanted to become friends with her Uncle, Kemps.

Jade: "It would be awesome if art just magically created itself!"

Kemps: "You know, you can find a lot of joy in the act of creating too."

52283693119_81dc814cfc_b.jpg
    Jade: "Maybe I could collect works of art. There's always someone that can create. What about someone that can exhibit artwork, watch over and protect it forever?"

Kemps: "The sea and island jungles are full of hidden treasures to recover, but exploring the depths and lost ruins isn't a game. It can be dangerous."

Jade: "I'm not afraid of danger. I think it would be cool to find hidden works of art and lost treasure!"

Kemps: "That sounds very ambitious. Where would you begin?"

Jade: "Maybe I could explore the mountains or brave the dense jungles!"

Kemps: "What about the depths of the sea?"

Jade: "If an opportunity showed itself and I could explore the ocean depths, I would do that too! But, I'll start with the land first."

52283693099_b7049d975c_b.jpg

Jade: "I want a perfect collection of art! Something I can be proud to show off!"

Kemps: "You almost sound like your older brother. He's had multiple works of art sold to Galleries over several decades. Of course, he never sold it under the same name."

Jade: "See, immortality comes with risks. If I created art, I would have to create new identities every so often. It's much more reasonable to collect and preserve what is created."

Kemps: "So, you want to own an art gallery to display works of art?"

Jade: "I want to own a museum where I can preserve works of art!"

Kemps: "That actually sounds pretty cool."

52283906805_6266a7f176_b.jpg

A Date by the Lagoon

A day or two later, Juniper had another Date with Kendra. The merteens sat together and kissed.

52283692984_273973c103_b.jpg
    The mood seemed right, so Juniper extended his arm and made a move.

52283906690_112a1f5683_b.jpg

The young merman pulled the young mermaid close. Kendra didn't mind.

52282443307_c7ec33378d_b.jpg

Juniper looked at Kendra and decided to pull away when he saw her blush.

52283906675_0fe216cdeb_b.jpg

Kendra: "You don't have to stop."

Juniper: "I know."

52283434493_c73d75b4fc_b.jpg

Juniper: "I know I'm not a true reef merman, but I'm so glad I get to spend this time with you."

Kendra: "Don't say that. You're just as much a reef merman as the rest. Who cares if you're a half-blood?"

52283906105_5f6fe86144_b.jpg

Juniper: "I was born more of a plant than anything else, and this form, it's been something to get used to. But, I'm glad it let's me spend more time with you."

52283434473_f3e4e8c9df_b.jpg

As Juniper wrapped his hand around Kendra's. Kendra rested her hand on his. Juniper looked into Kendra' sea green eyes, an eye color shared by all reef mermen and mermaids. Kendra stared into Juniper's green eyes, green like the chlorophyll in plants.

Kendra: "Did I ever tell you that green is my favorite color?"

Juniper smiled. "Did I ever tell you how much I love you?"

52283423806_66cc1a1300_b.jpg

The merteens looked into each other's eyes. The moment was interrupted when Kemps started to sing. He was clearly trying to sing badly, but because he was a merman, he simply couldn't distort his voice to sing bad. Possibly a curse of the mermadic voice or a gift, Juniper was grateful that it was impossible for any merman or mermaid to sing badly.

52283423346_f50e28112d_b.jpg

When the song ended, Kemps struck a silly pose at thin air. Zeph was ready to go home and so was Juniper and Kendra.

"I will find a way to get the lowest score on a Karaoke Machine if it's the last thing I do." Kemps declared.

The melody from Kemps's voice came out pitch perfect and still sounded better than the original song. It was an odd personal goal, but Kemps had fun with it.

52282443257_e7253f2614_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I heard crying in the Spa when I visited. Dylan, Zeph, Juniper, Barnaby, Wade, and Sora have the Sulani Mana Trait. They have the ability to pass judgment on the sims with the Child of the Island trait. Apparently, I caught Dylan or Zeph and Wade passing judgement on all the stressed sims going to the spa to escape their problems. Despite being mermen first, they are Elementals.

Edit: There is no escape from elemental merfolk, they will pass judgement no matter what! :D

Second Edit: Keep in mind, Wade is in his swimwear and Mount Komorebi has a lake fairly far away that merfolk swim in. Wade went from the edge of the lake all the way to the Spa to pass judgment!

52283692614_e03320bb85_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Finding Your Roots

Dylan warmed up his DJ skills for his younger brother's Birthday Party. In Sulani, they would wear traditional merfolk attire and then travel to the Mountain Forest of Granite Falls to continue the celebration. At Granite Falls, Calum wanted the merfolk family to try to spend more time on land, closer to his youngest duaghter and son's elements.

52283434353_9db0b97fac_c.jpg
    Sora complained. "Do I really need to go to Juniper's Birthday Party? Me, Barnaby, and Wade had plans."

Zeph rolled his eyes. "Of course you need to go to your Uncle's Birthday Party."

52283423741_8f2faf4207_b.jpg

Sora continued to complain. "That's not fair. Barnby and Wade will be swimming off to a lagoon, and I have to go to the Birthday Party on land!"

52283906590_6c08c35731_b.jpg

Zeph listened to his son before responding. "You'll get lots of chances to swim too, but it's not every day that a merman or mermaid comes of age. I'm sure Dylan will be bringing Barnaby and Wade to the party too."

52283692864_23ea326a98_c.jpg

"Why can't we just have the birthday another day?" Sora asked.

"You know it doesn't work like that." Zeph replied.

52283906555_999f971017_c.jpg

As the sun began to set, the Spirits of the Sun and Moon came together for their birthday. Despite being Earth Elementals, their power resonated more with their respective celestial elements. Sora relectunantly did as his father wished and joined the party.

52283423726_cb90271051_b.jpg

As the sun began to rise, Jade had to leave to hibernate until night. The merfolk gathered and danced. Dylan showed off his skills as a DJ and made the party worthwhile, but Calum made a lot of plans for his family. The celebration wouldn't end close to the sea.

52282443152_fe4eb16339_b.jpg

While Calum organized the camping trip, Juniper went to the World of Mt. Komorebi to reconnect as much as he could to his elemental powers. Even though he was an Earth Elemental, he lost his ability to draw power from the land after becoming a merman. He knew that his choice to become a merman was irreversible, and he knew that his elemental connection to the land was completely severed as a result. However, the Earth Element had two major sub-elements. The land and plants were two parts of a single whole. Jade embodied the Land. Juniper embodied the Plants.

After changing into traditional merman attire, Juniper focused on trying to connect his body to the Plants on Land and in the Sea. His attempts at meditation proved harder than expected. His first problem was controlling his shapeshifting. He was a merman now. A human form wasn't his natural form.

52282443067_78b9f3e511_b.jpg

After attempting to connect to his element, Juniper almost reverted to his natural form. He managed to catch himself before he lost control of his shapeshifting. He couldn't connect to the Earth Element if he had a tail. Merfolk were the Denizens of the Sea, empowered by the Elements of Water and Air.

52283906070_4fcc891c52_b.jpg

The more Juniper tried to connect to his element, the more he struggled. In a way, he was envious of his older brothers. They were true Reef Mermen and the Spirits of the Sea and Sky. They empowered all merfolk, including him. Dylan and Zeph didn't have to try to connect to their element. As mermen that were always mermen, it came naturally to them.

52283434288_3aa2c454b6_b.jpg

Juniper wanted to give up.

'As far as Elementals are concerned, I must be the weakest. I can't even connect to my element without nearly turning back into a fish.'

52283692744_c0b1617a75_b.jpg

Still, Juniper wanted to keep trying. If there was a way to connect to the Plants, he would find it.

52283692324_2f4eb28565_b.jpg

Eventually, he stopped comparing himself to his older brothers.

'Yeah, Dylan and Zeph are powerful. Their forms align with their elements perfectly.'

52282443012_7f4eb74471_b.jpg

'Dylan reigns over the creatures of the sea and Zeph controls the weather. All merfolk draw their power from them.'

Juniper breathed. 'But plants, they give us air to breathe on land. Mermadic Kelp can turn humans into half-merfolk. Plants have power too!'

52283434253_37bef76747_b.jpg

Juniper smiled. 'Plants are the source of life in both the sea and on land. I connect the Sea and Land.'

52282443002_77d4669b31_b.jpg

Juniper made another pose. He felt his connection to plants grow. 'Plants connect the Land to the Sky.'

52283434223_50ba2cb65f_b.jpg

With his hands and feet touching the ground, he could feel his elemental power. 'I am an Earth Elemental. I'm the Spirt of the Sun. I embody the plants that grow on land and in the sea.'

52283434183_c5422f83a6_b.jpg

Juniper laid on the yoga mat and breathed. 'I am a merman. I do get power from my older brothers. But, I'm the source of life on land and in the sea. Without me, plants would wither. Life would fade.'

52282442937_f255791f3b_b.jpg

Juniper relaxed and smiled. 'My power is still there, in me. It always has been.'

After finding the root of his power, Juniper could effortlessly maintain his human form and connect to the plants around him.

52283906030_4048d16182_b.jpg

'Trees grow into the Sky. Kelp grows deep into the sea'

52283423556_18ff6b869e_b.jpg

Eventually, Juniper needed to return to his natural form. In the hot spring, he could still feel his power. 'No matter what my form is, whether I'm a plant, look like a human, or have a tail, my power comes from plants and plants grow on land and in the sea.'

52283692509_f4923a471d_c.jpg

Extra:

Ember and Caleb needed a break from their Boyfriends. :D
    Ember is now the Fiance of Alexander Goth who is now a Reef Merman. Caleb is Damion's boyfriend.

I imagine that Ember needed a break from Alexander because, even if Ember is the one responsible for Alexander's transformation, it might be a little exhausting living with a barnacle brain that drank a potion that he was not supposed to drink.

Still, Ember doesn't have the same stress Caleb has. Caleb's boyfriend is collecting the Souls of the Darkfin Family. He's living with the Angry ghost of one of Damion's victims.

52283692489_4e60d69acf_b.jpg

Here's a song to set the mood. Backyard Music comes from the Perfect Patio Stuff Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQ0PpEujwI&list=PLiX-4TIJ0PtllFBu00vCXJdidoGY2skRt&index=36

Movies and the Great Outdoors - The Granite Falls Vacation Day 1

After visiting the spa, Juniper and his family left for Granite Falls. Calum had plans for his merfolk family to spend some time on land, closer to his youngest daughter and son's element.

Jade broke off from the rest of the family to explore the National Park. She ignited an old bonfire. The flames singed her a bit, but she quickly recovered.

52316601922_7a60bd3e0a_b.jpg
    Unfortunately, the burst of flame also choked out the fire once it ignited. Jade took a deep breath drank a plasma pack and tried to ignite the fire again.

52317823999_32b0f70b95_b.jpg

Eventually, she got the fire to burn steady and the ligth attracted some flies. Jade swatted away the pests.

52317402351_450b968b45_b.jpg

Jade wasn't human. She wasn't a mermaid. She was an elemental like her siblings, but that's all she had in common with them. To an extent, she enjoyed the time she had alone. However, her vampiric traits made it difficult for her to spend time in the sun. After her vampiric power started to manifest, she grow increasingly distant from her twin and the rest of her family. She was the Spirit of the Moon and at home on Land. Her twin was a merman and the Spirit of the Sun.

52317401346_f70c7b2188_b.jpg

Even if Jade felt alone and spent much of her teen years distant from her family, she was not forgotten by them. Zeph decided to follow Jade into the forest.

52317717783_bc30e971ae_b.jpg

When Zeph caught up to Jade, he gave his little sister a hug.

"What are you doing alone in the forest?" Zephyr said.

"I'm often alone at night because everyone sleeps when I'm awake." Jade replied.

"You aren't alone Jade. Me, my twin, your twin, your older sister, dad, and mom, we are all here for you."

"I know, but I enjoy the time alone."

"It's okay to enjoy some time alone, but don't be afraid to catch up with your family."

52317845645_cd16eeb393_b.jpg

"By the way, have you heard the lastest song on the backyard station?" Zeph asked.

"I did, but I like the sound of nature and life on land." Jade answered.

52317401336_2c548614fa_b.jpg

"It is nice to listen to the sound of nature. Sound, it travels through the air. If you ever feel really alone, just remember that. I'm the Spirit of the Sky, I'm always with you wherever you can hear songs on the wind."

"Thank you, it does mean a lot."

52316601867_2051d58201_b.jpg

"Speaking of wind, have you ever tried to fly?!"

Zeph leaned back. "I can't say that I have."

52317716848_5a8c785ffe_b.jpg

"You should really try it some time. I always fly around as a bat!" Jade enthused.

"But, I can't turn into a bat. I'm more of a fish, remember?"

52317402281_638077ab65_b.jpg

"Then be a flying fish! Fly through the sea and leap out of the water!"

Zeph didn't know how to respond, but he felt more energized listening to his sister's enthusiam.

52317402266_c1248be887_b.jpg

Jade continued to enthuse about flying. "You're the Spirit of the Sky. For you the sky isn't the limit. The limit is beyond the sky!"

Zeph looked up confused, but he couldn't help but feel a burst of energy.

52317717713_d3e19a2e28_b.jpg

Zeph pointed up. "You know that, as the Spirit of the Sky, I control the weather and seasons. I don't fly?"

"You are just limiting yourself thinking like that. You gotta be what you want to be, do what you want to do."

52317823084_1300feb214_b.jpg

"You're right!" Zeph was getting pumped. "I can control space and time. I'm the Spirit of the Sky! I'm one of the twin forces connecting the worlds!"

"See, you gotta hold onto that, especially when you are on land! You are more than a fish out of water!"

52316601817_4f1323e749_b.jpg

"What do you think? Was that motivating? Are you pumped?"

"That was such a weird conversation, but I feel so energized."

52317716828_2eb27f912a_b.jpg

"So, I gotta ask. As the Spirit of the Sky, can you really see all the worlds?"

"I can, but I have to concentrate to get a clear view of another world. Some worlds are easier to see than others."

52317402236_377d29b8e3_b.jpg

"What about Granite Falls? Were you able to see this world before we got here?"

"I could. I can sense changes in the weather. Might be good if we get a little rain. In fact, we'll be getting a lot rain this week."

"Can't you do something to change the weather?"

"I would, but we need the rain. Don't forget, you're on vacation with a bunch of fish out water. We need it to be a little wet to stay on land."

"I guess I can respect that."

52317844765_d87ee8af44_h.jpg

As the sun rose on the horizon, Jade headed back to the lodging to hibernate. As a bat flying through the cabin, Jade saw her dad. Out of everyone in her family, she knew it was easier for her to be on land and blend in with humans. It was clear that the rest of her family would inevitably struggle with human attire. Mermadic attire was a part of mermadic culture, and mermadic culture was a significant part of how her family lived in the sea and on the Islands of Sulani.

52317401251_9ddfae0471_b.jpg

When the sunshine peaked through the trees, Juniper was wide awake and left for the national park with his girlfriend. Juniper and Kendra threw horseshoes.

"I hope spending time on land isn't too much of a struggle." Juniper said.

"To be fair, I don't think merfolk typically spend this much time away from a place to swim." Kendra replied.

52317845505_04800e268f_h.jpg

Kendra tossed the horsehoe and it just missed the metal rod.

"That was close." Kendra said.

52317402126_3297c51739_h.jpg

"Here, let me try." Juniper held the horshoe up and aimed.

'This is actually kinda fun.' Kendra thought. 'I wish we had more games to play in the water.'

52317845480_4676bdddd2_b.jpg

Juniper threw the horsehoe and the couple watched it fly through the air.

52317717578_e1b9b39b97_b.jpg

"That was nowhere near the goal." Juniper said.

52317845440_ef28bb35e4_b.jpg

"Let me show you how it's done." Kendra held up the horseshoe and aimed.

52317402061_9e5fa9158a_h.jpg

Kendra flicked her wrist. "You gotta throw it like this."

52317823034_5da4081858_b.jpg

When the horshoe hit its mark, it disappeared in the dirt.

"That was a good shot!"

"It's all in the wrist."

52317845405_3bae8aa678_h.jpg

"But, I had a little luck from my little sunflower."

Juniper blushed. "Maybe a four leaf clover would be more lucky."

52316601402_2d4848c1e6_b.jpg

"I'm feeling a little dehydrated." Kendra said. "I'll head back to the cabin and soak in the tub after a cup off coffee. It's still really early."

"I think I'll continue to hang out around the park." Juniper said. "Are you sure you can make it a full week on land."

"I'll be fine. But, it is getting a little dry up here in the mountains."

52316600722_a23cff1350_b.jpg

Juniper started to hike. He pulled out his phone and checked out the guides on local plants.

"So, there are a lot of unidentified plants around here." Juniper muttered. "I had no idea."

52317845170_7276ed364c_b.jpg

Juniper walked up to one of the bushes mentioned in the guide and picked some of the strange plants. If anyone would figure out what these plants were, it would be the Elemental of Plants.

52317823569_3e7d1371e9_b.jpg

For his twin sister, Juniper wanted bring back some minerals from the land. For him, it was like hunting for buried treasure.

52317823544_f1c1960aeb_b.jpg

Juniper felt the roots in the ground, a connection between plants flowing through the forest. He felt drawn deeper into the woods.

52317401771_079624647f_b.jpg

Eventually, he found a tunnel formed by intertwined roots and branches. It seemed to call to him from the deepest part of the forest.

52316601312_8b671532bf_b.jpg

Juniper was familiar with hidden paths created by plants. After reconnecting to his element, he could feel the hidden secrets within plants, the portals and connections they created.

52317716678_4729d81d25_b.jpg

Juniper took the plunge and pushed through the tunnel of roots, branches, and leaves.

52317823464_ef34e3a8ff_h.jpg

In the deep woods, Juniper found a place almost barren of plants. However, the presence of the water and air elements was strong. He knew that his older brothers would no doubt be aware of this place. The plants seemed like new growth here, possibly a result of his presence.

52317401716_abeaacb0c6_b.jpg

Soon, a storm started roll over the mountains. The rain offered relief to the merman. Juniper was feeling a little dried out.

52317845075_67b88978bb_h.jpg

The rainstorm turned into a thunderstorm, and Juniper had to leave for the Cabin. He planned on returning to this hidden place deep within the woods. At the cabin, Juniper soaked in a tub of warm water. He changed back into his natural form and relaxed as best he could. The bathtub was very cramped and his tail had hang over the side.

52317717188_c59ed94111_b.jpg

Because the thunderstorm wouldn't let up, Juniper and Kendra went to an outdoor theater near the cabin. The movie of choice was obviously Campground Massacre III.

52317823399_0c424f735e_h.jpg

The weather helped to set the mood. At first, the couple was excited to see the movie.

52317401086_f5c503e89c_b.jpg

The guy on the screen gave the teens a warning about an Urban Legend.

"No one survives the Chainsaw Freezer Bunny." Juniper said.

"I don't think the Chainsaw Freezer Bunny is real." Kendra added. "Let me look this up to be sure."

52317401671_be52428a51_b.jpg

As the movie continued, Juniper turned to Kendra. "By the way, you look beautiful."

52317845045_52784d85a2_b.jpg

"You are quite the catch yourself." Kendra said.

52317845030_cd980ce663_b.jpg

"You don't think this Forest is cursed like the one in the movie."

"I can't imagine it is." Kendra reassured Juniper.

52317717138_4b5c719984_h.jpg

"Honestly, it could be with all this rain. I really wish the sun would come out already."

"We shouldn't be talking while watching the movie."

52317401621_4bf956020d_h.jpg

"Oh no, there's the Chainsaw Freezer Bunny." Kendra gasped.

52317845005_bf50bb4693_h.jpg

"He's going to get the Chainsaw." Juniper sobbed. "That was my favorite character too."

"He died too young." Kendra said.

52317844970_a778d0e723_b.jpg

"But, I know you would keep me safe if there was a crazy bunny man on the loose." Kendra flirted.

Juniper blushed. "No one would get through me. I would definitely keep you safe!"

52317401596_5b8daa65e6_b.jpg

While teens died one at a time in the movie, Kendra and Juniper continued to flirt.

"And I would keep my sunflower safe too!"

52317717028_aaecd96b66_h.jpg

Juniper blushed. "Together, no one would get to us."

52317844910_76609323fa_b.jpg

"I love you so much." Juniper said.

"I love you more." Kendra said.

52317822839_248230c7a1_b.jpg

"Horror movies are all the same." Juniper said. "The group always splits up."

"Are you saying they should have stayed together?"

"Of course, there's strength in numbers."

52317401491_f1c89dac44_h.jpg

"But, there's always a guy that tries to impress the girl with his bravery." Juniper explained. "They shouldn't take crazy risks like that."

"But, what if the girl does get impressed by his bravery?" Kendra asked.

"Still, it's better to work together in those situations. Bravery is great if you live, but not everyone is that lucky in those movies."

"True, they normally have major plot armor, or there's plot holes, when they do survive"

52317716968_1b171c0fd4_b.jpg

"Don't get me started with the plot armor and plot holes. Have you seen some of those B-rated horror movies? They are more like comedies because of it."

Kendra laughed. "I've seen a few of those."

52317401466_af9bc171cf_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Exploring the Great Outdoors - The Granite Falls Vacation Day 2

The Merfolk were starting to miss the sea, and when the Radio started playing Island Music, they gathered around the stereo and started dancing.

52317823144_e617389052_h.jpg
    "So, is it going to rain like this for the whole vacation?" Sefina asked.

"It'll rain enough to keep things wet for us." Zeph answerd.

"Is it normally this hard to be on land like this?"

"It usually is. Merfolk aren't exactly meant to be out of the water forever. It's dad's idea to give Jade and Juniper a chance to connect to the land."

"Well, ever since I became a half-mermaid, I haven't spent this much time away from the water."

"At least, we can bring a bit of the islands with us listening to this music." Sefina said.

"Not going to lie, all mermen and mermaids tend to love music. It's part of what we are." Zeph replied.

"Maybe more so with Dylan." Cecelia added. "He's still playing the violin in the thunderstorm!"

52317716908_9834394149_h.jpg

"I've told him so many times. Just beceaus merfolk can't die when struck by lighting, it doesn't mean we should want to get struck!"

Cecelia continued. "But he always says that Bringing the Lightning is fun. I swear I sometimes worry about our merboys back home. I hope they don't start taking risks like their father."

Sefina checked her phone. "It says the weather will clear by morning. So, I think we'll be good for now."

52317401371_cf0e0ae72e_b.jpg

Zeph decided to leave and check on his twin.

"At least we aren't living in a game where some higher power makes us take unnessacary risks." Sefina said.

"We don't need a higher power that makes us take dangerous risks. Dylan playing the Violin right now is proof of that." Cecelia replied. "Watcher knows what happens if we could actually die getting struck by lightning."

52317716603_a667977a6c_h.jpg

Since Zeph was gone for a while, Cecelia figured that he started listening to Dylan play the Violin instead of getting him out of the thunderstorm. Cecelia left and ended up listening to her husband song too. As the night set in, Jade woke up from her hibernation and flew down the stairs as a bat.

"I'll never get used to all this magic." Sefina thought. "At least it keeps things interesting."

52360692506_d6234aef52_b.jpg

As Sefina danced, Jade changed into her human form and drank some plasma from a plasma pack.

"So, I thought Vampires ate humans and merfolk?"

Between sips, Jade answered. "We make plasma from... fish and frogs too.... I've read that merfolk... only taste so good because they are like fish, in the magical sense."

"But you don't drink their plasma?" Sefina asked.

"Of course not, most of my family are merfolk. I don't drink eat family."

"Well that makes more sense than Zeph's excuse for not eating fish."

"Well, for a genius, he just hasn't figured out that bigger fish eat smaller fish in the ocean, but that's a Child of the Ocean for you."

52360931673_87a9d1328b_b.jpg

Eventually, Sefina also left to listen to Dylan's music outside. Jade started the night dancing to the Island Music.

52360931663_e00f912525_b.jpg

For Jade, being alone in the night wasn't too bad. She didn't consider herself to be a loner, but she enjoyed having some time to herself. As a bat, she flew to the Ranger's Station in the National Park. While there, she played a little guitar.

52360693496_6444c60245_b.jpg

She noticed that her supply of plasma was getting low, so she decided to try fishing around the national park.

52361007984_31538e7856_b.jpg

When she felt her hook get caught, she went to rail in her catch.

52360693456_ac3470ecc4_b.jpg

But, all she pulled out of the water was a chest with some herbs in it.

'This would be more interesting for Juniper.' Jade thought.

52360692491_2f485c7c0d_b.jpg

Jade cast her line again and felt it hook something again.

52359745642_46c96d7b2a_h.jpg

This time, she pulled a trout out of the water.

52359745622_c5b49c6792_h.jpg

It didn't take much effort for Jade to turn it into filtered plasma.

52361115790_90ef6bffb4_b.jpg

Jade returned home as the sun began to rise. Juniper woke with the sunrise while Jade was headed to bed. Juniper watched the Magic Realm's Morning News. Apparently, a ghost was campaigning to lead the Realm of Magic. Juniper didn't know if it was just a spectral projection or a politician from the Afterlife.

52360693411_aa53e1c26e_b.jpg

Deciding not to think about it, Juniper went for a walk around the woods. His human attire was getting a little uncomfortable, and since there weren't humans wandering around the woods, he changed into his merman attire. Juniper figured that he didn't need to hide what he was if there was no one to hide his mermadic identity from. His brothers, girlfriend, and father seemed to feel the same way. Sefina, being half human, continued to wear human attire, and Cecelia simply stuck with her Island attire.

52360931523_e0d5e18d2d_b.jpg

Juniper checked maps as he walked up to a sign at the edge of the Lodging grounds. He wanted to find some more unidentified plants.

52359745577_b8b8f465f8_b.jpg

As far as he could tell, there wasn't a lot of new varieties around the area, but most of the plants he was looking for grew in the summer. Juniper realized he had some plasma fruit on him, and remembered his sister. He walked back to the cabin to plant it. He didn't know why he didn't think of doing this sooner.

52359744652_a9e2b26757_b.jpg

He knew that the magical plasma fruit took a while to grow, so he hoped that it would grow before Jade's Plasma Supply ran out.

52360693376_f2a099ec45_b.jpg

After nurturing the growth of his plants, he decided to try and figure out what some of the herbs he harvested were.

52360931408_b1ac1e9702_b.jpg

He pressed the leaves of the first plant between his fingers. The leaves made his fingers feel a slight itch, like something related to poison ivy.

52361115640_4ee624c147_h.jpg

Because he was the Earth Elemental of Plants, he easily overcame the itch from the plant's leaves. He still wasn't closer to figuring out what it was.

52360930483_5e49a8347d_b.jpg

52360931363_d22b69a2dd_h.jpg

Next, Juniper tasted one of the berries he picked. It could have been poisonus, but he wasn't worried about it fro the same reason the poison ivy like leaves didn't bother him. As he ate the strange berry, Zeph walked up.

Zeph took a deep breath as he watched his younger brother eat the unknown plant.

52360931343_84d7d49ba8_b.jpg

"Why in the Universe did you just eat that?"

Juniper was taken aback. "What do you mean?"

"What if it was posionous?"

"So." Juniper replied.

52361115570_b4e39f3c16_b.jpg

"So, you could have died?"

"I thought you were a genius." Juniper replied.

"I am."

"Did you forget what I am?"

"No... Maybe. You're a reef merman like us, right?"

"In this universe, I'm the Spirit of the Sun, Elemental of Plants..."

52359745447_8997f9323f_b.jpg

"Oh." Zeph replied. "I forgot."

"I'm immune to the negative effects from plants."

52361115550_409c900d5b_b.jpg

"So, what did it taste like?" Zeph asked.

"Sweet, maybe like elderberry." Juniper answerd.

52361007734_41295b9f34_b.jpg

"What's that buzzing all of a sudden?" Zeph muttered.

"Maybe, choosing to wear mermadic attire was a bad idea." Zeph thought as he wacked at the mosquitos.

52361006904_39698a2b86_b.jpg

After chatting with his brother, Juniper went for another hike. Despite being deep in the mountains, the signal was surprisingly good. He tried to learn a bit more about the herbs as he walked.

52361007684_d2090c591f_b.jpg

As he picked the berries, he noticed that every herb in Granite Falls came in two very similar varieties. One herb would hurt a human that ate it. The other would help a human that ate it.

52360693131_c1da17a336_b.jpg

While he was out collecting herbs, he also found some frogs that his sister could use for plasma.

52361007634_5143b1ca5b_b.jpg

All around Juniper, it was clear that his twin older brothers still had a great deal of power here. Streams with fish flowed through the mountains and the weather bent to Zeph's will. The cloud cover helped to keep him and his family from drying out. The more Juniper thought about it. The more he reralized that his family was going to great lengths for him. His father planned an entire week for them to be on land. Even his father, a Child of the Land and Sea couldn't find that comfortable. They did this for him and his twin sister.

52359745312_a914e9b986_h.jpg

Juniper wanted to find as many treasures as possbile while he was here! It might be a while before he returns to the land like this.

52360931133_747275bfb3_b.jpg

Back at the lodging, Jade had a daymare and woke up. She went to the outdoor theater and chatted with her older brother.

"Did you hear about the fishing tournament between vampires?"

"No." Zeph answered.

"They were neck and neck!"

52361115395_c023bfdcee_h.jpg

Zeph smiled and chuckled. "That's so cheesy."

52360931053_bb5620b97c_b.jpg

"So, how's your day been?" Jade asked.

Zeph decided to sit next to Jade. He didn't tell his sister, but his human feet were starting to hurt. It was getting hard to stay on land like this, in an unnatural human form.

"It's been good. I've done a lot sitting, listening to Dylan play his music. I saw Juniper eat a strange berry."

52359745227_65c7d48f5b_b.jpg

"Remember that time you caught a squid. It squirted ink on your shirt. It took forever for you to get it clean."

52360692986_9130d08109_b.jpg

"Is that why mermen don't wear shirts?"

52360692416_d3bb95a9c9_h.jpg

"That's absolutely the reason." Zeph answered.

52360930988_20c44394f0_b.jpg

"Mermen prefer to not wear shirts because the are a pain to clean when they get dirty."

52360930963_f8f1f283d7_h.jpg

Zeph looked away as he held his hand to his mouth.

'I'm a liar.' Zeph thought. 'Mermen don't wear shirts because the fabric would be a safety risk when we swim. It's normal to not wear a shirt because we don't wear one in our natural form.'

52360930938_385833d31f_h.jpg

"Anyways, merfolk must be at the top of the food chain in the ocean!" Jade enthused. "Just like how some vampires eat humans."

"Actually, merfolk aren't at the top of the food chain in the ocean. There are bigger fish out there." Zeph replied.

52361007399_348fecf50b_b.jpg

"No way, with all your magical power, you still have to worry about getting eaten by a bigger fish."

"Yeah, the earliest merfolk that started mermadic culture, developed merfolk society around our need to survive in hostile waters."

52359745077_b000968016_b.jpg

Calum overheard his son and daughter talking and decided to join the conversation.

"Dad, Zeph told me the craziest thing. There are bigger fish that ate merfolk! Can you tell us more. You must be 100s of years old, older than any of us!"

"Well, as you know, mermen and mermaids will never die from old age. We don't even need to protect ourselves from the elements. Because we are of the sea, and the sea can boil around volcanoes and freeze near the polar Ice Caps, we are immune to changes in temperature too. We can call thunderstorms at will and can't die when struck by lightning. In many ways, merfolk can live forever and almost never die. We don't need to dress the way humans need to. We don't live exactly the same way humans do."

Calum took a breath. "The keyword is almost."

"Merfolk have eternal youth and will never grow old or ugly. Merfolk are characterized by humans as beautiful and handsome for a reason. But, we can die. Your grandmother, she died before any of you were born. The Sapphire Royal Family isn't without it's fair share of tragedy. But, yes, in ancient times, merfolk did need to struggle to survive in the sea. Everything from how we dress to living in family groups, that culture started from our need to survive. Now a days, we aren't at risk like before, but we still maintain the culture that was shaped by our environment."

"Dad that was a great explanation! I didn't even know most of that."

52359744577_75ac74be69_b.jpg

"So, you'll be around forever?" Jade asked.

"As long as I live, I'll always be here for my family." Calum answered. "And, I don't plan on being shark food anytime soon."

52360692856_9253be3f3e_b.jpg

"I have to ask though. Why did you go on land? I mean, I know a lot of mermen, mermaids, merboys, and mergirls. Most merfolk stay close to the water or in the water."

"I'm both a Child of the Islands and a Child of the Sea. I saw the seagulls fly over the water, and was drawn to the Islands of Sulani as much as the Sea called to me. As a young merman, I wanted to live close to the tides, in a place between the land and sea. I wanted to live among humans, but I never wanted to give up being what I am. I am proud to be a merman."

"What about that Little Mermaid Movie? You didn't happen to talk to any birds to figure out what human stuff was?"

52361115150_ddbaf65aef_b.jpg

"Please, merfolk aren't completely ignorant of humans and human things. Spirits know that enough human junk ends up in the sea, and we can see them use things on the shores." Zeph said.

"Zephyr isn't wrong. Merfolk know enough about human culture to blend in when we need to. Some merfolk know more than others because they live closer to humans."

"My mind is blown!" Jade said.

52361114680_d98530d7ba_b.jpg

"With all the different worlds out there. I can only imagine how many different mermen and mermaids are out there."

52360692776_a986604dab_b.jpg

"Almost all merfolk live in the waters around Sulani. Only a few very small pods can be found anywhere else." Zeph said.

"Still, the idea that there are merfolk I haven't met yet is exciting!"

52360930773_3f89080f43_b.jpg

"It's possible that there are mermen and mermaids that have been around longer than humans." Calum added. "There's no telling where they are. But, most merfolk have lived long enough to know how to stay hidden. It's unlikely that they will go out of their way to show themselves. Like anyone, we just want to live our lives the way we want to."

"Imagine, an underwater world where there could be merfolk to meet and new places to see! I'd be excited to see that!" Jade enthused.

52361007179_a6f6553227_b.jpg

"As cool as that would be, even a vampire would need help visiting a world like that." Zeph said.

"I'd still want to see the world underwater!"

"Maybe one day." Calum said.

52360930748_d4777a6c9c_b.jpg

"Just, whatever you do, don't ask Saphran about the latest issue of Dolphin World Magizine."

Zeph continued. "How any merman or mermaid can find his "art" interesting is beyond me?"

52359744887_286046fea6_b.jpg

"He's also figured out how to use a phone and is posting underwater photography on simstagram under the name Azure Photography!"

Zeph breathed.

"Saphran will talk your block off about his success. I don't know how I ended up with a dolphin familiar like him. Saphren, Dylan's familiar is much more grounded."

52361114955_59a33e137d_b.jpg

"Well, we don't get to choose our familiars." Calum said.

"Do you think we can trade them out for another?" Zeph asked.

"You know that's not how it works."

52359744872_317ebf435d_b.jpg

Extra:

Dylan didn't have much of a role in this update... He was playing the Violin all day. lol. He's definitely dedicated to his music.
    52359744857_e9c1f49560_b.jpg
  • Options
    Fishing around Granite Falls - The Granite Falls Vacation Day 3

After learning a little bit about merfolk history, the sun set and Jade met with her twin brother before he went to bed. The Radio was playing Country Music, so the twins danced for a bit. For Juniper, the merman side of him made it hard to resist lure of good music.

52360692626_31730cc0a5_b.jpg
    "What do you think of the Backyard Music?" Juniper asked.

"I love it!" Jade replied.

52361114865_8e5f06a242_b.jpg

"It's almost as good as the Island Music!"

"Who knew the forest mountains had such a great radio station?!"

52359744732_b7d36583e3_b.jpg

"If I had the energy, I would stay up all night listening to this music!"

Jade nodded in agreement. She started to grow envious of her older twin brothers. They had a solid relationship and weren't seperated by the day and night, sun and moon. As Jade grew in power, the sun became increasingly intolerable. And Juniper wasn't much of a night merman, preferring the sun and daylight.

52361114815_49007146a8_h.jpg

Once the moon rose over the Horizon, Jade could feel her power grow stronger. She knew it was time to hunt. Despite being a Vampire, she wasn't keen on hunting merfolk or humans, and if she could, she would prefer plasma fruit or frogs. She couldn't deny that fish were good for plasma packs though. Merfolk long since overcame the predators in the sea, but any merman or mermaid would be a tasty meal for a vampire on the hunt. Jade refused to feed on her family.

52395126640_5d99e7ca3b_b.jpg

Feeding on merfolk was sometimes a tempting prospect. Merfolk were bigger fish overflowing with the vitality of life. She could understand why others of her kind would hunt them, but no matter how tempting it might be. She wouldn't feed on merfolk. She angled the fishing line and focused more on a better kind of prey; something that she would prefer to feed on instead.

52394185392_8b71cc55cd_b.jpg

Granite Falls had a lot of trout, and the trout were easy to make into Plasma Packs. While Juniper spent a lot of time exploring the forest, Jade struggled with her thirst.

52394181567_0b0d0f028e_b.jpg

Had she been born a mermaid and not the Spirit of the Land and Moon, she wouldn't have to struggle with this. She would feel guilty drinking anyone's plasma without permission. It was a weakness. Still, her catch for the night was a good one!

52394986634_be64d683f0_b.jpg

After sipping on her fresh plasma pack, she felt better. While dancing with her twin, she had temptation from her untamed thirst. She needed to work on that. Watcher forbid that she attacked her twin brother or another family member.

52394686016_e845754bcd_b.jpg

While wandering around the woods, she found some unusual fireflies. They blinked in all the colors of the rainbow. She took this opportunity to catch them.

52395195903_b7dac2dcc5_b.jpg

The night didn't last long enough, and as the sun rose, she needed to take cover before her thin skin burned. Juniper woke up and headed for a lake near the Cabin. Using his mermadic powers, he drew strength from Dylan and summoned an aquatic lure.

52395195833_c77efc5a52_h.jpg

Juniper spent the day fishing with his older brothers. Dylan and Zeph were Children of the Sea, and that made fishing a bit awkward. His older brothers enjoyed fishing, but they didn't like to catch fish.

52395195798_9aa3a78862_b.jpg

Juniper tried to watch his brothers and learn more about the Reef Merfolk Culture. Reef Merfolk loved the sea, were strongly attuned to it, and their love of fish and sea life was something he struggled to understand. When Dylan and Zeph cast their lines, they were fishing for something different.

52395126480_07df93c5d8_b.jpg

When Dylan pulled some old lake grass out of the water, Juniper was more confused. Wasn't the goal of fishing to catch fish? Dylan seemed happy about his catch. His older brother tossed the weeds to the side and continued to fish.

52395195768_a94deb9e40_h.jpg

And then, Dylan pulled a chest out of the water. Every time he cast his line, it found everything except fish in the water. Dylan was excited about his catches, and Juniper grew more confused.

52394685821_24f1c36184_b.jpg

After Juniper felt a tug on his fishing line, he pulled a fairly large fish out of the water. He felt proud of his catch, but there was something that also felt wrong. He simply didn't understand. Dylan leaned back and cast his line out to deep water. Zeph patiently let his line drift in the water.

'What am I missing?' Juniper thought. 'Why didn't Dylan or Zeph congradulate me on such a big catch?'

52394986474_1b349710b2_b.jpg

When Juniper cast his line, Zeph pulled a chest out of the water. Juniper couldn't believe it.

'How did he hook that? His line was floating at the surface? Is someone helping him?'

Juniper started to feel exhausted. His skin was drying out. Even if he found a way to connect to his element, one thing remained true, his human form required energy to maintain and that energy was getting depleted.

52394185122_8c4a57796c_b.jpg

Soon, the weather began to turn. A rainstorm blew in just in time. The drops of water restored some of the merman's energy.

Zeph did say that there would be rain this vacation. It must be hard for them. They are spending so much time and energy on land so that I can reconnect with my element. But, I want to be more like them, like a true reef merman.

Juniper felt a tug on his line and caught another fish.

I wonder. Is it possible that the fish are helping my brothers hook the treasure in the water? Maybe. Maybe the fish aren't helping me because I keep catching them?

52395195588_6edf0eea3b_b.jpg

Just then, Zeph pulled another chest out of the water. His brothers managed to catch a lot of treasure, but there was more to it. Juniper just couldn't understand it.

52394685701_1d9da7e419_b.jpg

As the sun set, Juniper started to grow tired. His brothers, on the other fin, were on roll and not tired in the least.

52395195548_fac0a80a1c_b.jpg
  • Options
    I started the Granite Falls Vacation with the intent to have my merfolk try to do more on land, maybe pretend to be human. In the end, I created a place for my merfolk to swim. :D Granite Falls just didn't have enough places to swim.

Teasers for my next update!

52395195218_4bdefd51e1_b.jpg
    52394184712_a648609935_b.jpg

52394684506_272f157469_b.jpg

52395193958_e446619cfe_b.jpg

52394985084_2818ee7ae4_c.jpg

52395193668_bb987c4186_b.jpg

52395124510_3ddb350e53_b.jpg
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    My Mermaids have been murderd… Again!

I wrote earlier that the mermaids have been murdered. Well, they were brought back by Tomi Marckovic, who is now a young adult mermaid.

She’s engaged to Jace Laurent. Who’s a young adult spellcaster.

But before marriage she decided to move in with my other mermaids in the game that live in Sulani. The mermaids are Mary-Sue Pleasant and her wife (mermaid that came with the game).

Jace learned that mermaids are promiscuous and didn’t want his fiancé corrupted so he had them killed.

Because this is the second time they died, I’m considering them permanently dead.

So now I only have 1 mermaid, Tomi, who is happily planning her wedding on Tartosa with Jace.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    @Metior_Ice Not mine but yours. Look who showed up outside of the PBP Studios Lounge possibly hoping for a glimpse of the stars, after the Starlight Accolades Show lets out.

N1eXSz4.png
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/