Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Collection Files and a CAS Favorites Option

CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
edited June 2022 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
TL/DR: Collection files and CAS Favorites would help everyone to organize their content in-game and make searching for items much much faster.

I really miss Collection Files from TS2 and TS3. I REALLY miss them. I know we have the build/buy mode filter, but mine always freezes (lots of content), and it doesn't allow for the fine sorting that Collection Files did.

For anyone who doesn't know, Collection Files were an in-game sorting function. Say for instance you had a bunch of grunge-style objects and clutter that you wanted to use for a grunge-themed lot. You could create a folder in the game that would allow you to organize all of your grunge-style content (sort of like a Favorites folder). So I might have some custom content from several different creators, and also several EA items from different packs that would work well with the theme. You could add ALL of it to your Grunge folder (or whatever name you chose), everything from artwork to furniture to decor and clutter, all of it neatly sorted into that themed folder. And you could have the same object sorted into many different Collection folders that you created, like a certain art piece saved into a Museum folder, an Abstract folder, Loft Items, etc. Whenever you were ready to use items from that category, you just opened up the folder in-game and all of the content (custom and Maxis) would be inside ready to use. And you could always add to it or remove items (they would still be in the game itself, just not in that particular folder anymore).

It made searching for items MUCH more streamlined, quick and easy. You could create any type of categories you wanted (City Loft-style, Teen, Vampire, Modern Kitchen, Regency, Gardening, Red-Colored Favorites, Country, Asian, Geeky Kids Room, etc etc etc, anything you could come up with and as many as you wanted).

Even if you had zero custom content, it was a tremendous help when you wanted to organize items. Sure, I can filter items from Island Living to make a tropical-themed lot, but there are plenty of objects from other packs that would work perfectly with that lot also. With Collection Files you could group ALL of those together and not have to go hunting down items, especially debug objects or small hard-to-find pieces.

I would give anything to have Collection Files or some sort of categorizing function beyond the current filter. A Favorites category for CAS would be invaluable: similar to Collection Files, the ability to group pieces together that are used often or that fit a certain theme. Having your favorite facial accessories, hairs, tops, pants, socks, body accessories and tattoos would be incredibly helpful if you wanted to organize a goth theme or beach or hip hop or anything else you wanted, even just a general Favorites folder.

It's been 8 years...even if you don't have custom content, most of us still have lots and lots of items by now in the game. If you have cc, finding objects can be daunting even with the game filter (which is unfortunately useless for some players). It might be impossible to implement at this stage, but if at all possible, even a little bit, I think it would literally be game-changing for everyone.

vLDcu1q.png
"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I really just want saved outfits. Personally, I do not need better search tools so long as I don't have to recreate the same outfit 7 times.

This being said, all QoL improvements are appreciated.
  • CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    Saved outfits could benefit all players, too - it would save SO MUCH TIME in cas.
    vLDcu1q.png

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    Not having collections or a way to save an outfit is something that will annoy me until the end of Sims 4! And if they don't bring these options back for Sims 5, I will be doubly annoyed. I just don't understand why something so useful would be dropped like that. And the fact we can save a makeup swatch but not an outfit! WHY?

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    Chaotic, YES, I feel the same way - I assume it was a timing issue, that maybe the devs didn't have time to implement the system before the game was rushed out? Or maybe they weren't even aware it was a thing in the first place? I would rather have no roofs than no Collection files...
    (love your avatar!!!)
    vLDcu1q.png