The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mini Guide to Phases of the Moon

Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
I haven't seen any guides or patch notes yet, so I've been testing their effects on sims. I will be updating this as more information is presented, but feel free to add things I've missed.

Due to the fact that so many phases of the moon appear to do nothing, despite the fact that we saw in the livestream that one of the phases gave an increase to athletic skill, this leads me to believe that most of the gameplay attached to the lunar cycle will be tied to the upcoming werewolves pack.

New Moon: Vampire Energy will constantly rise at night, as if they are sleeping.
Waxing Crescent Moon: Unknown/no effect
First Quarter Moon: Unknown/no effect.
Waxing Gibbous Moon: Unknown/no effect
Full Moon: Increased spellcasting success & hydration loss is lowered for mermaids.
Waning Gibbous Moon: Unknown/noeffect
Third Quarter Moon: Unknown/no effect
Waning Crescent Moon: Unknown/no effect

Moonbathing:
New Moon: +1 Inspired Buff
Waxing Crescent Moon: +1 Energized Buff
First Quarter Moon: +1 Happy buff
Waxing Gibbous Moon: +1 playful buff
Full Moon: +1 Flirty Buff
Waning Gibbous Moon: +1 Confident Buff
Third Quarter Moon: + 1 happy buff
Waning crescent Moon: + focused buff
Alien: +1 happy buff (doesn't matter what phase.)

Please Note: If a lunar phase affects a specific occult, you will not see what it does unless you have that occult selected currently. So for a New Moon, it will appear to do nothing in the UI unless you are currently controlling a vampire.
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
Post edited by Zeldaboy180 on

Comments

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,017 Member
    Do we get any negative effects from moon phases?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Would be cool if also human sims reacted a little, at least at full moon. Light sleep, bigger chance of failures (clumsy), perhaps more romance thoughts, or easier scared... guess it should depend on personality.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Do we get any negative effects from moon phases?

None that I found
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Just looked at the lunar cycle in the game. I had hoped for a bit more effect on the occults instead of just one single moon fase with an effect for each occult.

Note : the moon fase seems to change to the next stage at 7 in the morning. (tested with an 8 day cycle)
  • BoujieSimmerBoujieSimmer Posts: 50 Member
    Would be cool if also human sims reacted a little, at least at full moon. Light sleep, bigger chance of failures (clumsy), perhaps more romance thoughts, or easier scared... guess it should depend on personality.

I think humans do have reactions to moon phases. My sim has been getting a “weird dream” moodlet (from high maintenance trait) since the update, and there’s a moon in the icon.

Also, my sim went to the spice festival during a full moon and everyone kept breaking out into fights.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    @BoujieSimmer the Breaking out into fights sounds much like what can happen in RL. There has been a tie to the lunar cycles to Human behavior. I'm about to have my first Full Moon in my game. We'll see what comes of it. I have no Occults in my game. Just the possibility of Aliens from space.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member

I think humans do have reactions to moon phases. My sim has been getting a “weird dream” moodlet (from high maintenance trait) since the update, and there’s a moon in the icon.

Also, my sim went to the spice festival during a full moon and everyone kept breaking out into fights.

My high-maintenance Sim has been getting that all along, before yesterday's update. Though it might have been a nod to the upcoming lunar phases update.
    @BoujieSimmer the Breaking out into fights sounds much like what can happen in RL. There has been a tie to the lunar cycles to Human behavior. I'm about to have my first Full Moon in my game. We'll see what comes of it. I have no Occults in my game. Just the possibility of Aliens from space.

I’ve never had Judith Ward fighting everyone attending the event before. Maybe it was just Judith lol
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited June 2022
    @BoujieSimmer If you have Eco Living Lifestyle and NAPs enabled, the fights might have been caused by the roughhousing one (I don't recall its exact name), if it happens to be currently active.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member

It's possible that it was also Neighborhood brawl day if you have seasons.
    edited June 2022
    @VeeDub @DaWaterRat I think it was a N.A.P.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited July 2022
    I've been playing offline, but I wanted to know about this quote in the patch notes:
    Occult Sims will find that the moon now plays an extra role in how their powers behave. During certain moon phases, Mermaids have less hydration loss, Vampires recharge power slower, Spellcasters cast spells more successfully, and Aliens receive a special moodlet while moonbathing (which is also now a thing for all Sims Teen and older)!
    In the op you've stated they'll recharge as if sleeping, so is there a phase wherein the patch quote is shown to be true, or was the quote mistaken?
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).