Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Repairing broken map view?

GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
Another day, another strange problem (well, two actually), this time concerning the map view. They're purely cosmetic, but still annyoing.

ts4_x642022-06-1315-3cuk6r.jpg

First of all, the "plumbob" over that one lot on the right is floating way too high. It wouldn't even bother me so much if it didn't obstruct the view of the other lot behind it. At first, I thought it was because I used to have a much taller house there before, but then I went back to an earlier save to see if it was always like this, and it wasn't, as you can see here:

ts4_x642022-06-1315-3p4khz.jpg

Secondly, if you look at the ground between the other house and the brown path, the grass there looks strangely smudged and/or shadowy. It's off lot and should therefore not reflect anything I'm doing on the lots, and even if it did, I have no idea what could be causing it. This wasn't the case in the earlier save either.

So how do I fix problems with the map view? Neither repairing the game nor taking out all of my mods changed anything. I also tried bulldozing the lots, but to no avail.

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    All I can think of is to try and move household out and back in again for plumbob issue.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    yeah idk i also have some smudges in my newcrest and its annoying

came after i placed some gallery build there and didn't leave even after i bulldozed it and built other things
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited June 2022
    I have BLACK smudges and dots on the area around my Goth's house (not on the actual lot itself, but the area outside of their lot). I replaced the original with a house from the gallery that is CC-free and that's when I saw the black marks from map view. Now if I go to the lot there is nothing there, so I'm not sure what causes that.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited June 2022
    Good to know I'm not the only one. So maybe someone will find this thread and know what to do.

@ModerateOsprey That was actually among the first things I tried, and I also bulldozed the lot, changed the lot type, et cetera, but nothing worked. Even when I change it to a public lot, the lot symbol replacing the plumbob remains too high.

I'm going to try one of those custom map replacements, then change it back and see if that helps with the smudges at least. Now, let's see if anyone actually made one for Granite Falls...

EDIT: Didn't work. The smudges aren't visible (or at least not noticeable) on the replacement map, but when I change it back to the default map, they're back again. And the plumbob issue wasn't affected at all. Then again, I might just keep this replacement map... Just look at it, it's super awesome! <3

ts4_x642022-06-1317-50kkz3.jpg

(This is where I downloaded it, in case anyone is interested.)
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Aye - it does look good. Mind, if it was me, I would probably get all Princess and the Pea about it and know it was under there :grin:

Clutching at straws here - have you gone to the spot with a sim to see if there is actually something there. Maybe an ice rink or a pile of leaves - something like that?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited June 2022
    @ModerateOsprey Nothing unusual. But after a little more experimentation, I found out something really weird and was able to solve most of my problems. Turns out the black smudges have nothing at all to do with the house in the back or its surroundings. It's the lot on the right that is somehow cursed.

You know when you place a house from the library while viewing the map, you see the entire thing dropping down for a second and landing on the designated lot, like it just fell out of the sky Wizard of Oz style? When I did that, I noticed that the back smudges were moving down with the house that I placed on the lot. Which means they're not actually on the map, but somehow on top of that specific lot. This also explains why the plumbob is so high: It's trying to accommodate some kind of upper floor that shouldn't be there.

The problem is, this smudgy upper floor is always there no matter what house I place on that specific lot. But after saving the current lot to the gallery and dropping it on itself several times, some of the smudges disappeared. You can see they're still there, but not quite as noticeable as before, and the plumbob came down as well:

ts4_x642022-06-1321-1txj5n.jpg

Poor Sheva... Had to move several times just so I could fix the broken lot she's supposed to live on. But now it's "fixed"... as best as I can... I still have no idea how that could even happen, though.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    I've been meaning to add those maps for a while now.
    I just did it today. Henford-On-Bagley looks gorgeous. Just looking at the map gets me to thinking about my sim's lives and living in that place.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish have you tried placing a house on a specific lot while in build mode instead of plaing it while in map view?