Never met your online BFF but want to? Share your story with us here for a chance to win an all-expenses paid, meet up with your BFF IRL.
The Sims 4 will be FREE to download across PC/Mac & Consoles on October 18! More info here: here
September 23rd- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

older generations unite!

123457...Next

Comments

• DTM_DerrickDTM_Derrick Posts: 26 Member
    Early 30s here. Started with Simcity 2000, and found The Sims Double Deluxe shortly after its release (around 2003 I believe?) and have been a simmer ever since! I almost miss have all those sims expansion boxes on a shelf. :D
    mp2itdbfrjnh.gif
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,178 Member
    I've got all mine stashed in various places, and the books ready to hand.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 446 Member
    I'm in my 60's. My daughter played Sims 2 and got me interested in it. I enjoyed it so much I still play sometimes! Ended up with Sims 3, Sims Medieval and now Sims 4! I enjoy each of them still, just tend to play differently depending on which game I am playing. When I am getting bored with one, I switch to another, with my Skyrim and other games I like in-between.
  • Whitedove52355Whitedove52355 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm 67 and have been playing since The Sims released. I play Sims 4 now, but when I get bored I still play Sims 3.
  • jasasimsjasasims Posts: 69 Member
    I will be 45 in a few months. I played Sims Bustin Out on Gamecube ,I think. I tried playing Sims 1 on a computer, but I liked playing on the cube better at the time. It wasn't until Sims 2 came out I started playing in the pc completely.
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 129 Member
    edited September 15
    Early 50's, I tried playing TS1 when it first came out and it was dreadful. I couldn't get into it. I took a long break and jumped into TS3 when it only had a couple of years left in it's life span.

I completely missed TS2, was in the Navy and kind of swamped with life. Literally very little downtime to play anything. I tried it out when it was free but didn't see the allure. I found it hard to figure out and kind of annoying. I was super addicted to TS3 and resistant towards TS4. I was one of those who was dragged kicking and screaming to TS4. Now? I can't play TS3. I find everything about it ugly...plus...my computer is too advanced and will barely play it. Pity because I have never been addicted to TS4, it just has never had to ability to drag me in like TS3 did.

Anyways, that's my simming story!

I don't consider us "old coots" because we have every right to enjoy this game, just like those barely out of diapers (hahaha) do. It's all about doing what brings you joy and peace. Once this game (and it's countless issues) stops doing that? I will move on.
  • FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 24 Member
    I’m in my mid forties. I’ve been playing since Sims 2 days. I then progressed to Sims 3 and now 4. I still play 2 and 3 regularly, and love them all as they’ve all got their own strengths and weaknesses.
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,691 Member
    I’m another … been playing video games since video games were a thing. Played The Sins but didn’t get fully hooked until TS2. Then I was a goner. Retired now, playing and writing stories about my sims.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 3,033 Member
    Isn’t it strange that corporations assume that older people don’t “game?” I mean, some of us broke this industry in with arcades and early computer games. No reason to assume we lost interest.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 669 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    Isn’t it strange that corporations assume that older people don’t “game?” I mean, some of us broke this industry in with arcades and early computer games. No reason to assume we lost interest.

Exactly!

My timeline of being a "gamer":

- From the 90s to now: Playing both computer and console games.
    - Late 80s: Playing text-based computer games (like D&D) on dial-up internet.
    - Mid 80s: Saved up money from my first real job and bought my first Atari gaming console.
    - Early 80s: Spent my babysitting money hanging out at the local arcade playing Gyruss (my all-time favourite), Galaga (my second all-time favourite), Pac Man, Donkey Kong, etc
    - Late 70s: Playing the old paddle-style pinball games at our local pool hall, and playing tv Pong with my brother at home.
    - Early to late 70s: Playing board games and card games (family game nights).

I'm also an avid Snooker player and Darts player (both hubby and I used to play in local league tourneys).

What gives me a good chuckle now is how my daughter (who's in her early 30s) is playing board games (cosplay) with her pals at each other's homes.... basically what we used to do in the 70s. Things seem to have come full circle in the gaming world. :D

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 5,884 Member
    edited September 22
    I remember having & playing the board game called The Game of Life back in the late 70s to early 80s. I also remember my Dad having an Avar TV Game machine back in the late 70s. Furthermore, I remember enjoying playing Sinbad the Sailor & the first Civilization game on my Dad's Amiga Compu PC Desktop back in the late 80s & early 90s. This was way before Windows & the internet. ;)