Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much lifetime do you think the Sims 4 DLC schedule has?

This video just appeared on my youtube and it is over 2 hours long just with Sims 4 trailer videos. It made me think about the ride we are in, do you think we are half way to the end? 2/3?

I think we are 2/3 of the road, looking back the DLC quality has been greatly improved, yet we are still missing some key features. What features do you think we are missing and could be turned into a stuff, game, expansion or kit pack?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DHw_E0P4yow

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    Lol.
    Two hours?

I want to watch it, but it will be 10 PM by the time I finish.
    I'll watch it tomorrow. I am sure it will remind me of all the things I am not doing in TS4.

I'll be back.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    edited June 2022
    Wow, that video was almost mind numbing for me.
    I think I would rather see a video that shows a more linear progression of packs instead of covering Outdoor Retreat again an hour into it.

But that's besides the point.
    I have no idea how much longer this will go on because it will probably depend on how profitable The Sims 4 remains and how complete The Sims 5 is.

I do know what I would like to see.
    -A refresh of Get To Work (Retail game play, Aliens, Medical Career)
    -Chemistry and Attraction and online dating (That should have come with My Wedding Stories)
    -Whims refresh
    -A social pack for Teens (Their life is mostly go to school, come home, do homework, work on some skills, bug parents with questions, go to bed, live for the weekends and vacation days)
    -Island Living Refresh (Mermaids, under water diving (I would be fine if it takes a loading screen, like any other lot in TS4 does)
    -Bands with game play that progresses like Get Famous
    -Fairies Occult
    -One more "something new" for the sims.
    How about another Strangerville type story, only this time an abandoned alien mothership appears in the orbit of Sim Earth
    and your sims get to investigate the ship and discover and unlock new technologies and investigate what happened to the aliens.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    edited June 2022
    My guess would be that we have about 3 or 4 years left of Sims 4 content.

I hope we eventually see...
    Resorts, more destination focused world's, an attraction system, more generational gameplay, more interactive gameplay between sims.

Dragons for Gordy in some sort of Medieval world
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    I think SimGuruFrost said recently that there are many years left so I imagine we might be just middle of the road. If they do regular updates, I imagine they could probably extend it to 20 years or so quite easily.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It is hard to say. I am a little pessimistic on this front, so maybe until the game bursts at the seams and collapses.

It isn't that I want 4 to end, so much as a lot of it feels built on pillars of sand. Sims games in general experience bloat and destabilization after so long, but none have had such a drawn out lifespan as 4. Even with cutting content into perfectly square, small pieces eventually the minimum specs of 2014 just will not be true. In the meantime, people with hardware that could handle more languish.

There is definitely still more stuff I want, but I do wish there were more ways to tailor the game to your own hardware rather than being stuck to a stock standard. It would theoretically be more liberating, too, like cutting off the tail of the legacy edition.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited June 2022
    There are many more years left according to SimGuruFrost. I think they have said one time that they tend to plan for three years ahead, so maybe they have three more years of content planned before they will start thinking about how they should end it.

So I think we will see at least 3 more EP's, 5 GP's and an insane amount of kits before it's done.

As for the content I would like to see, I would like to see them attempting to make cars, and I also want something more for teens to do, so the rumors that the next EP is High School is making me a bit happy at least.

Other than that, I'm good. I'm not sure how much more content I want to see implemented in the sims4 engine because I think a lot, depending on their budget... will be implemented into features that they have in the game already.

If player numbers are any indication, then they are maybe starting to think about the sims5, EA doesn't share their player numbers, but they do mention during financial meetings if their player numbers have gone up for their franchises and a couple of years ago they mentioned that the sims4 had record numbers of daily, weekly and monthly players, but they have not mentioned that for several financial meetings now which could mean that the sims4 player numbers are no longer going up.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,414 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    It is hard to say. I am a little pessimistic on this front, so maybe until the game bursts at the seams and collapses.

This is what I am worried about. At the end of sims 3 EA made it possible to select which packs you can play for each game session before loading everything at once was too much for many computers.
    If I look at the amount of EP, GP and SP,... I wonder how much more the game can handle before it is too much. I think EA wants to drag it out for a few more years, but I wonder how good the game will run at the end of the the sims 4.

• gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    edited June 2022
    I think we got at least 1 - 1 1/2 more years. I don't know if I could handle another 2-3 years of the Sims 4, it feels like I've been playing it forever. Not related but I have the same feelings with GTA V, these games have gone on for far too long in my opinion, I'm scared to think how long The Sims 5 will last? 20 years? lol.

Lately my interest has been fading which is a combination of being fed up with the bugs and simulation lag for so many years and the last 2 uninspiring (for me) game packs. The werewolf pack looks promising but not sure if it will regain my interest for long.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »

This is what I am worried about. At the end of sims 3 EA made it possible to select which packs you can play for each game session before loading everything at once was too much for many computers.
    If I look at the amount of EP, GP and SP,... I wonder how much more the game can handle before it is too much. I think EA wants to drag it out for a few more years, but I wonder how good the game will run at the end of the the sims 4.

Also this.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I am in no way an expert on this so maybe someone more knowledgeable can offer insight however, Epic's unreal engine 5 released this year. I believe the next version of the sims will release on that platform. If that is the case they may have began developing the sims 5 this year but I think it will take several years to complete. Thus my prediction of 3-4 more years. Again I'm not an expert so all of the above may be totally incorrect.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited June 2022
    gc6164 wrote: »
    I think we got at least 1 - 1 1/2 more years. I don't know if I could handle another 2-3 years of the Sims 4, it feels like I've been playing it forever. Not related but I have the same feelings with GTA V, these games have gone on for far too long in my opinion, I'm scared to think how long The Sims 5 will last? 20 years? lol.

Lately my interest has been fading which is a combination of being fed up with the bugs and simulation lag for so many years and the last 2 uninspiring (for me) game packs. The werewolf pack looks promising but not sure if it will regain my interest for long.

Same here, I'm completely burned out. Rockstar Games finally announced on twitter that they are working on a sequel to GTA5 and I wish that Maxis could do the same by announcing that they are working on the sims 5. 8 years is way too long to play the same game over and over again, even with constant updates, the only people that are staying now are the ones who still have creativity left, and new people, who are greeted by $900+ of DLC.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I think we'll still get kits for a few years after Sims 5 drops, otherwise they wouldn't have released a new DLC type so late into Sims 4's lifespan. I think kits are meant to fill the gaps now that we're getting fewer EPs and GPs 'cuz they've moved the majority of Sims 4's team to a new Maxis game (which is probably Sims 5).

I think we maybe might go back to a similar schedule like we had in 2014/2015 where we get just one GP and one EP a year, and maybe lots of kits in between. I don't think Sims 4 is going to end anytime soon, though. She's making too much money.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I say they'll keep it going to either 2024 (10th anniversary of TS4) or 2025 (20th anniversary of the whole franchise).
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Until the 25th anniversary of the franchise, when the announce a newer version?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    I only started playing Sims 4 a year ago, so I am not too bothered by it going further. But I will say, I think in general going more than 5 or 6 years is TOO long. I played Sims 2 a couple years into Sims 3 so it wasn't just base game when I started. Then I played Sims 3 way way into 4's life span. But I was getting bored. If I had started 4 when it came out, I would have been over it years ago and never even reached the release of content I would have been waiting on (like werewolves). I know they broke stuff down to smaller sizes to make more money, but I think it means losing players too, who aren't willing to wait 7+ years to get to play the way they want to play. We still don't even have all the usual occults. That is crazy this many years in. And it stunts game play for some.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    My guess is in year 2024 when Sims 4 turns 10 years old. :p