Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Happy Simsmas 2021 Gift Exchange ~ Closed

Comments

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Your gifts are CC-Free @puzzlezaddict o:)

I'm with @ciane in loving a good story & challenge! I haven't played with magic-y things in a long time so am tempted to swap out play order and take a look at Serena and the cottage she inherited before tackling the reno. :) Am sure @MiaSkywalker won't mind sharing her gift :wink:
  • LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    @MiaSkywalker Wow!! The mansion is spectacular! I love the beautiful details and the overall look! I also love the way you dressed up all the ghost Sims, very stylish!! Awesome!!
    @puzzlezaddict I am so glad you chose to join the gift exchange! I hope you enjoyed it! I loved reading your comments, especially how you got the name Puzzleaddict! I am not really good at puzzles, but I do enjoy them!
    The cabin is adorable, the exterior is lovely, it is perfect for a Christmas themed world and for a lot of the worlds I enjoy playing with! I love the décor! The colors blend beautifully!
    I love, love, love the Victorian! The color scheme and décor are both beautiful, as well as the gorgeous exterior design!
    Lovely cottage, love the garden! Serena Borough is a very attractive Sim, she even has violet eyes, love the outfits you chose.. All your gifts are simply lovely!
    @Hidehi What an adorable general store! I will definitely love to see it in Woody Lakes and Hidden Springs, it would look dreamy in both those worlds!
    I simply love Cape-Ability! Another build I plan to place in Woody Lakes! The garden is very picturesque! The lovely décor is sure to keep the very handsomely rugged Harry Bosch in a very good mood!
    @Kesminlix Beautiful cottage! Dragon's Roost is perfect for Dragon Valley!
    @MiaSkywalker @SamelaRita @Charlottekn @puzzlezaddict @Hidehi @GraceyManor Thank you for your kind words!
    @ADWilson Thank you for hosting this wonderful gift exchange and thank you for all the help and advice you have given me! I also appreciate the feedback on my sneaky peaks as I was creating the gifts! <3
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    Here's some shots of trying out my wonderful gifts in game! Thanks again @Charlottekn !!

I switched the season to winter so I could fully appreciate the Snowflake Day Park.

Here's our kitty visiting the cows while the snow started to fall.LDAlhdZ.jpg
    Our horse definitely is enjoying a romp in the snow! fxb7hRG.jpg

I sent the family to the Snowflake Day Park. Justine decided she wanted to give ice skating a try. sSYGWbJ.jpg
    Henry decided the best way to celebrate the season was to watch a classic holiday movie in the theater. fMCrTSz.jpg
    While Grandpa Xavier decided to try and rouse the townies with a cheery Christmas carol. j3M9jzO.jpg
    Though not all the townies are in the holiday spirit. Crazy cat lady Hettie Lionheart is not too pleased that she has to work today... especially standing outside in the cold. :tongue:SWXUafw.jpg

Also, one last shot of the house in the snow. :heart:V0i0IhO.jpg I absolutely love it!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Oh, I love the pics you shared @Kesminlix! (I thought at first a cow was rolling in the snow because of the pic just above it!)
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited December 2021
    @GraceyManor:

Addy told me you were having problems with the first version of the lot, because of the tomb. I am so sorry! It never occurred to me that it might cause you problems, even though I know tombs have problems on some computers. I've personally never had them, so I just didn't think of it. It's just that when you said you wanted something creepy, I thought, what could be better? Tombs are creepy; the tomb room markers even give an ambience sound that makes it creepier. (And I chose the "death" tomb type, which has the creepiest sounds.)

Antebellum lot without a tomb

Addy said you deleted the rubble and some of the other stuff, but were having trouble with the tomb room markers. Unfortunately, by simply deleting things from that floor, you will likely cause problems in your game. Any item that has trigger links to and from it (and some of the rubble does) is going to leave undeletable link markers on the lot that can never be removed. I think - although I don't know for certain - that this will cause you more problems in the long run.

To delete them properly takes a bit more effort. It's tricky; you have to right-click each item before deleting it, then select Triggers => "Clear all links to and from this item." If you don't do that, you'll leave these hanging links all over your lot, which can never be removed. You have to do this even with the doors, since all the doors were locked and had a trigger to remove those locks. I'm familiar with the process, because I build and play with tombs a lot, and I've also read up extensively on creating them. (I even play around with the CPU stuff sometimes, to create a lot of AND/OR type triggers. Hadn't really done that in this one, though; it was simpler than many that I've made.)

I've created a new version of the build where I removed all the tomb links and triggers. Oddly, I found that the game views the torch levers as links, even when they aren't linked to anything. Because of that, I even removed all of those, although I hadn't enabled any of them as torch levers. I just like to use those rather than the regular torches, because torch levers cost $0, and regular torches cost $70. Just saving a few simoleons. :) But because those torch levers obviously have some code in them that regular torches don't have, I figured it was best to remove all of those and replace them with regular ones; would put less strain on the internal game database that way.

So there's a new build up for you: No traps, no triggers, no tricks. One hidden door; the one to initially access the floor. But that's easy to open, and shouldn't cause issues. (I don't think so, at least.) No triggers involved, and no tomb markers.

But there really IS a storyline up there that I think you'll like, so I left that intact. If you go up there, and follow the rooms in order, and read every inscription plaque along the way, I think you'll enjoy it. None of the rooms are locked anymore, obviously, so to follow the story properly, I'll tell you how to start.

I used some base game doors that are painted white on one side, and brown on the other. If you're going through a door that's painted brown on that side, you're going the wrong way. Start at the room with the purple lighted torch (that's base game; just changed the color to make it obvious). There is an inscription plaque outside the main area; that gives you an actual hint what door to start on; the door with the spider next to it. (Just telling you, so you won't read them in the wrong order.) After that, it should be obvious what direction to go. And I'm sure you're familiar with the song and poem I used, since they're from the Disneyland haunted house. :) Normally as you would go through it in tomb form, you'd have to do things associated with the "hints" in each line; you won't have to do that, although I left the items there that normally you would have had to use, as long as those items weren't specifically tomb-related. (A record player, a set of drums, etc.)

There are still treasure chests and piles of gold; what's a treasure room without treasure, after all? And the final room IS a treasure room; the plaque in front of the final room indicates why, and it has to do with lore from Gracey Manor. Just be careful of the cowplant if it's hungry. :) My testing Sim went for the cake on EVERY test walkthrough I did of it, even though I had frozen her motives so she wouldn't have been hungry. I think it had to do with the combination of brave, adventurous, and friendly traits that she had, that caused her to do it. I've looked into the coding for cowplants before, and certain traits cause Sims to be more likely to be foolish and autonomously go for that cake, even if they aren't hungry. Turning autonomy off right before you get to that room MIGHT help; I'm not really sure.

I thought I would also mention something that I had forgotten to mention before, about both builds. That weird vibrating look that comes from the curved stairs can be fixed; there's a mod at MTS that fixes it. I haven't downloaded or looked at the mod, since I've never used those stair pieces before, but thought I ought to mention it. I didn't like that vibrating look, but there was nothing I could do about it.

I think there might have been something else I had intended to mention about the first build, but now I've forgotten. :( Maybe I'll think of it when my head is clearer.

Edit to add: I also opened up the wine cellar in the basement. Normally you could only get to it after finishing the ENTIRE fourth floor; the keystone to it is in one of the final chests. I think the keystone might still be in that chest; I didn't change the treasure types on each chest, because it didn't even occur to me. But you no longer need it; I replaced the hidden door in the basement with a regular door, so you can go in and enjoy the (literally) thousands of bottles of wines that I've left for you in there. :) (Well, there's over a thousand. Don't know exactly how many. My testing Sim made them; yeah, I love nectar in the game. Love those buffs!)
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    @Kesminlix:
    I loved seeing your pictures in the game. I really love all of the animals, even though I know the cows and chickens are technically just objects. It's still so cool having them and seeing them in the game, and the kitty is so cute! Love how she's thinking about the cows, like maybe she's worried that one of them will step on her. The horse rolling in the snow is adorable.

The look on that Sim's face is priceless!

I'm going to have to use that park as well. It looks marvelous!
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited December 2021
    @MiaSkywalker yeah it was very laggy for some reason I could barely move my mouse and I don’t understand because my current save is a 16 bedroom 10 bath house and I have no lag I tried in multiple worlds and with only one sim on the lot and it didn’t help removing bits and pieces of the tomb started to help so I think it was the tomb causing it.I downloaded custom tombs in the pat and had to uninstall for the same reason :( I’m not sure what vibrating issue you mentioned is I don’t notice it thanks for trip loading! I can put together my Xmas story :)
    Your no tomb version is CC-Free @MiaSkywalker o:)

Thank you for doing this!
  • CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    I was having some trouble getting these new lots to download but I finally got it sorted out, so now I have a save game with (almost) all these new lots in it. I'll have some pics tomorrow but I just want to mention that Rose Bud immediately disrobed and jumped into the sprinkler. And the University llama came by and was psyched to see that.

Weirder Sims? We already have weirder Sims. :smiley:
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

@puzzlezaddict :) , Wow! What a fabulous gift! The Witch's Cottage looks awesome, the interior is so wonderfully grungy and I love the background story of the house and beautiful Serena <3 . The landscaping is great especially the winding path among the trees and the pond.
    And thank you very much for your lovely comments on my builds and sims :)

@Charlottekn I'm very happy that you like your gifts! I think the sims and their actions in TS3 are just so funny to watch. There've been many moments of spontaneous laughter even after years of playing :)

@MiaSkywalker thank you so much for giving us the option of your marvellous Gracey Manor with or without the tomb :)
    I very much hope you will feel a lot better soon so you can thoroughly enjoy your simming time again 🤗

@Kesminlix awesome screenshots! I totally agree with ciane that it's always fabulous to see gifts being used in game :)

@LMC6255 , thank you ever so much for your lovely comments and being always so supportive. I'm so glad you are thinking you can make use of the builds in beautiful 'Woody Lakes' 🤗
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @puzzlezaddict I'm going to have to try that cottage too - as soon as I can get on the Sims! It looks fantastic. And I'll have to not read anybody else's take on it until I've played it as well.
    @ciane @Hidehi @SamelaRita and anybody else interested in Serena and the Witch's Cottage made by @puzzlezaddict ...

I did an initial look-see last night, this build is super cute and I spent a lot of time just looking around, soaking in all the little details without actually playing. Started in Hidden Springs but admit to considering giving it a go in Dragon Valley since I have never played there. Planned on playing this just-for-fun without writing a story but we'll see what happens in that regard.

I also want to play the Holiday Challenge and did an initial look at Harper's Rest. Wow, what a challenge indeed. I've long been a fan of her Renovacy challenges and this one is as well planned as ever! Going to take some effort to get these 4 Sims working together or willing to be in the same room, hee hee hee

Thank you both for adding hours of fun & laughter, hurdles to jump and secrets to uncover. <3

This is not meant to make other Buddies feel like their gifts are less-than. A number have caught my eye and will be given a close inspection ... can't wait to check out all the nooks and crannies and see what happens if I do xyz ;)
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

@ADWilson , thanks for the tip on the Yeomans and Serena both have awesome background stories and are sure lots of fun to play. :)
    Would be fab to see screenshots even if you won't be able to write one of your lovely stories to go with them :)

By the way Serena has been autonomously cleaning Witch's Cottage already in my game ;) and Star Yeoman is stomping off all the time after shouting at everyone ... definitely a challenge :p
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @Hidehi Good thing Star's allowed to have a part-time job them! Gets her out of the house a bit...
    I've made it through the winter with the Yeomans and am part-way into spring. I can say that Star was the first one to be friends with one and the last to make friends with the other two. It did remind me of the railway station reno where the parents hated each other and I had them talk repeatedly about gardening, I think. It was the only safe subject for them. Surprisingly, it is Joe that can be very taciturn when it comes to conversing with him. Though you'd think you could talk recycling to him, he gets very easily bored right away. Aw well.
    edited December 2021
    @BreeMiles

Thank you for the lovely house! Bradford Home looks perfect in Woody Lakes (A world I built with Hidehi back in 2018) Here are some screenshots of Bradford Home in game.. I used a couple of my Sims, Melissa Parker and her cat Georgie Parker.. Watching them enjoying their new home was so adorable..
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Thank you for the wonderful gift!
    Post edited by LMC6255 on
    edited December 2021
    @MiaSkywalker
    Thank you so much for doing a tomb free version, I just downloaded and what
    a difference! no lag at all.I don't understand the lag with tombs :|:'(
    I just started reading the story, I fear I'm not familiar Constance, but I certainly
    know Leota's poem LOL

I already have a story in mind for Dustin, he's so handsome.
    And one of my favorites from the attraction! <3
    @LMC6255 - I always enjoy seeing pics of the gifts in game. Thanks for sharing those.
    edited December 2021
    @LMC6255
    That house looks so pretty in your game.^_^
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @puzzlezaddict:
    Oh, it sounds like you made a small tomb or hidden room in there!

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, that is if there is in fact a surprise at all, which I'm not saying either way.

I'm so happy to hear you like it though, and I hope you feel better soon regardless of whether your next move is to play Sims or not.

Landscaping is not easy for me either. It's strange, it's not exactly hard for me to do at least decently, but I find it really difficult to start the process at all. It's almost like I think I'm going to hate doing it and the results, even though I rarely do once I'm done. The only thing I really struggle with is ponds—they never come out looking right to me the first few times. But a few bulrushes and water lilies go a long way.

I feel the same way about eye colors: my sims are usually normal-looking, but the eyes are almost always an interesting color not found in nature. And then I enjoy seeing who inherits them through the generations.

@ciane @ADWilson and @SamelaRita Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like the story, and I hope the challenge turns out to be interesting. I thought it would be nice to add one since MiaSkywalker doesn't like her sims skilled up at all.

@LMC6255 and @Hidehi Thanks so much for the feedback. It feels really good to hear that people like something I made.

To everyone, I've downloaded all your builds and sims and have checked out a few of them in-game so far. They're all really fun to look at, even with a few missing items; actually, it's kind of hilarious what the game comes up with at times. For example, in Gracey Manor, the chimney stacks on the roof were replaced by eight puzzle shelves, one floating in midair above each chimney; the roof tower from the Now and Then Century Manor is now a single double-wide cornice. But most of the rest is intact. I mean, other than the four different globe sculptures now positioned on top of tables and counters.

Point is, everything so far looks great in my game too, and I'm glad I can "borrow" some of the gifts as well.
    @puzzlezaddict:
    That's absolutely hilarious! The game is supposed to replace items with things within the same category. That means it thinks that the chimney parts are bookshelves! :lol: At least it got the roof tower right; it knew it was a roof decoration. I wonder which items got replaced by those globe sculptures? I guess I'll never know! :lol:
    A few pics of my new houses and Sims in game (and I changed to winter because it looks so good!)
    cdYAMnk.jpg
    iPV1KXO.jpg
    dmxxWYh.jpg
    pCczxUs.jpg
    PM5kI0Y.jpg
    v32Sq3L.jpg
    3AimmUB.jpg

I'm looking forward to my Xmas break, so I can just have a whole chunk of time to explore through the haunted mansion, play the renovacy (maybe not even cheating for once!), and see what's up with this witch cottage. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top