Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 just online?

doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
edited March 2022 in Off Topic Chat
I think The Sims 5 will not be just Multiplayer…let me explain after the backlash of Sim City EA added a offline mode I think this will happen with The Sims 5 so you can Play offline but it’s designed for online gaming. That’s what I think will happen am I close do you think?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2021
    Maybe? I just hope Sims 5 will have Occults, it's the reason why I buy Sims DLC packs, Also Couch Co-Op should be a thing like Mario or Boarderlands, I think online play would enraged some simmers, due to some players not fitting their player style, A Realism Player would throw a hissy fit if their virtual neighbor was a vampire or a werewolf, it'll be a total witchhunt, Ironically witches would get a pass due to the fact that they can easily pass for normal sims.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    If Sims 5 were online only,then the whole franchise would die. People with consoles or lousy internet service would be unable to play the game,and vc99% of the fanbase would abandon Sims and go on to play other games.

I really don't think EA would be foolish enough to do a repeat of the Sims City Online Only fiasco...I think they want to play it safe and not risk losing money and customers; Sims 5 could be like Minecraft,having an offlinr mode and an online mode where people can create their own servers for freinds and family.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited November 2021
    EA think a lot about a cloud version of The Sims for cross-platform (PC/Mac, console and mobile).
    The development would be easier, faster and less expensive.

Right now Multiplayer mode / Co-op is a feature of the new IP : Lost Astral

It will probably be a good test for their skill and learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm pretty sure TS5 will have cloud save features so I would think yes, online all the time to be able to cloud save. It would take up less space to save to the cloud and less work for Maxis, too, so yes, online all the time is what I think but not what I prefer. There were no lessons to be learned from Sim City 2013. Because as soon as it ended the released the mobile Sims City, and it makes millions if not billions. It was a win win for them actually. Don't have to pay the people at Emeryville anymore and Maxis Mobile in charge of Sim City (mobile) and don't have to operate that building etc. So, yes, I think Maxis will make TS5 a multiplayer and cloud save online all the time. Just look at the mobile game influence in TS4 in it's waning years...scenarios is more like a mobile game...think about it. They won't need to have an offline feature since so many will go along with a mobile TS5.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure TS5 will have cloud save features so I would think yes, online all the time to be able to cloud save. It would take up less space to save to the cloud and less work for Maxis, too, so yes, online all the time is what I think but not what I prefer. There were no lessons to be learned from Sim City 2013. Because as soon as it ended the released the mobile Sims City, and it makes millions if not billions. It was a win win for them actually. Don't have to pay the people at Emeryville anymore and Maxis Mobile in charge of Sim City (mobile) and don't have to operate that building etc. So, yes, I think Maxis will make TS5 a multiplayer and cloud save online all the time. Just look at the mobile game influence in TS4 in it's waning years...scenarios is more like a mobile game...think about it. They won't need to have an offline feature since so many will go along with a mobile TS5.

Mobile games suck, honestly I barely consider Mobile Sims players as Simmers, how could anyone play the Sims on their phone, they have less gameplay features and an extreme lack of DLC content, Sims Mobile games are just watered down content.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm personally thinking of not following the sims 5 if/when it comes out, it might not even be the sims 5 but a different sims game altogether, I'd say either way the community wouldn't be happy if it's online only, my mind is on the sims 4 (the most expensive sims game) improving first, this year its definitely went on a better direction and hope the team keeps it up and I'm excited what's in store for the sims 4 in the future, I've heard somewhere that the sims 4 will be around for 15 years in total that's including the years its already been, so that's another 8 years

Edit here's where I've got 8 more years from

https://youtu.be/DOKkGcuUF2M
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I'm personally thinking of not following the sims 5 if/when it comes out, it might not even be the sims 5 but a different sims game altogether, I'd say either way the community wouldn't be happy if it's online only, my mind is on the sims 4 (the most expensive sims game) improving first, this year its definitely went on a better direction and hope the team keeps it up and I'm excited what's in store for the sims 4 in the future, I've heard somewhere that the sims 4 will be around for 15 years in total that's including the years its already been, so that's another 8 years

Thanks for posting. I hope others listen to this video. Yeah, fifteen years, especially when the new GM was head of Sims Social...no wonder we have changed direction.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2021

Thanks for posting. I hope others listen to this video. Yeah, fifteen years, especially when the new GM was head of Sims Social...no wonder we have changed direction.

No worries I think the sims community atleast needs to assume that the sims 4 has got a long time to ago, too long to be too excited for the sims 5 at the moment, it's going to be a long wait by the looks of it, if it is 8 more years which it appears soo we're not even half way through the sims 4 lifespan @Cinebar
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    EA would like The Sims become an eSport like The Sims Spark'd, a creativity competition (PvP).
    A showroom for the talented artists.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    EA would like The Sims become an eSport like The Sims Spark'd, a creativity competition (PvP).

They would need to incorporate tools for that in the game if they want people to start creating, especially talented artists. For some reason they refused to do that with TS4, so I doubt they will change direction too much for TS5.
  • Options
    KaitlinMarieKaitlinMarie Posts: 58 Member
    All I know is if it is online without the offline option I won't play it. Online gaming communities tend to be so toxic. I'd rather just play on my own.
    Gallery name: Kaitlinxo143
  • Options
    My Online playstyle, is pretty similar to my offline style, I've played plenty of MMOs solo, it's kind of like playing a single player game but with smarter NPCs that remember all the times you murdered and rob them, I love murdering NPCs, However I do have a code where I wouldn't pull the same kind of stuff towards my fellow players, that said some MMO players don't seem like it when I do go around killing npcs.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

PvP isn't very popular in most games I've played, even then it's usually a niche group that enjoys that kind of content.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member

Makes me wonder just how unplayable and buggy Sims 4 will be in 8 more years. I don't think the game engine would even last that long...maybe 1 more year before the Sims 4 engine completely breaks due to all the content that keeps getting piled up on that weak engine. Also,I imagine people would get sick and tired of being stuck in the Sims 4 era,and they would simply go to play Paralives and other games,and not play Sims 4 again. Sims 4 was never meant to be an everlasting game like Minecraft.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Good, they can have it. :s I prefer my Sims 3 & Sims 4 thank you very much. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Timeline :

2004 : (Maxis) Neil Young, Nicholas Earl
    2006 : (EA The Sims Division) Nancy Smith
    2008 : Rod Humble
    2013 : Rachel Franklin
    2017 : Joe Nickolls
    2021 : Catharina Lavers Mallet

Next VP/GM in 2025 ?

This person will still be in charge of The Sims 4.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    Makes me wonder just how unplayable and buggy Sims 4 will be in 8 more years. I don't think the game engine would even last that long...maybe 1 more year before the Sims 4 engine completely breaks due to all the content that keeps getting piled up on that weak engine. Also,I imagine people would get sick and tired of being stuck in the Sims 4 era,and they would simply go to play Paralives and other games,and not play Sims 4 again. Sims 4 was never meant to be an everlasting game like Minecraft.

I'm just glad this game wasn't made by Bethesda's game studios, their games are always buggy messes and they don't even bother fixing their bugs, while the modders are actually doing all the patching for them, on the other hand at least Maxis tries to fix their bugs even if it does more harm than good. I know Minecraft because it's popular with Vtubers, but it's not really my kind of tea, I just don't like the artstyle of minecraft, everything is square shaped.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member

yes agree, pretty sure they will be online. All the other Sims games are. With Sims 2 even if you have the disk you can't play with it.
    The message comes up you need Origin.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited November 2021
    All I know is if it is online without the offline option I won't play it. Online gaming communities tend to be so toxic. I'd rather just play on my own.

If we can't play on our own, and they don't give us a choice to play online with friends and single play I won't play it either.
    But I don't think it will be off line :-( Look what they did to Sims 2, they put it online and we can't play it without Origin even if we have the disks.

edited to remove double post, why is it doing that ?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    NFT is the future, I imagine The Sims MMO as a platform where real life brands could release digital items.

EA could obtain money from them.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I'd be really, really happy to have a version of Sims that was designed for synchronous and asynchronous co-operative play with people I specifically choose to play with. I do hope that's what they're working on.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    I would hope they have learned their lesson about pushing an online only version of the game. Nor do I want Sims as an MMO. HOWEVER, I would dearly love a co-op mode and obviously that would have to be online.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No, no, ten thousand times no.

Please don't make it online only. I don't want anybody else meddling in my game and I can't afford a monthly fee, anyway.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Maybe? I just hope Sims 5 will have Occults, it's the reason why I buy Sims DLC packs, Also Couch Co-Op should be a thing like Mario or Boarderlands, I think online play would enraged some simmers, due to some players not fitting their player style, A Realism Player would throw a hissy fit if their virtual neighbor was a vampire or a werewolf, it'll be a total witchhunt, Ironically witches would get a pass due to the fact that they can easily pass for normal sims.

I totally agree!

But, I had to laugh when I read this, because it reminded me of the Bloodlines RPG in Second Life. The goal is to stay alive and collect as many souls as you can. So vampires would hang out at the noob HUB and coerce and/or trick new players into allowing them to bite their avatar, which the vampire would then get that noobie's soul and rise higher in the status ranks.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    didn't people say the same thing about 4 :p
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon