Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mysteries Game Pack Idea (detailed)

GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
edited August 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Hello!
I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, we all have different interests after all (which is one of the things that makes the Sims community so great!), but I've been thinking about what my dream pack would be and wanted to share it with you.

Similar to packs like Jungle Adventure and Strangeville, this pack contains a playable story, as well as lots of other features.

Story
Set the Scene
• You are invited to a party at Bazalgette Manor by an old acquaintance, Hugh Dunnett.
• During the party Hugh is murdered, and everyone is a suspect!
• The police are delayed due to a terrible storm and so you take it upon yourself to solve the murder.

Sleuth, Spy, and Steal (ahem..."borrow".)
• Talk to suspects to reveal alibis, motives and relationships.
• Eavesdrop on private conversations to gather information.
• Search Bazalgette Manor, including suspects' rooms, to find clues - but be careful not to get caught!

Solve the Mystery
• Once you feel you have enough clues to put the pieces of the puzzle together, click on your Sim and select "Solve Mystery".
• Everyone will gather around as you dramatically reveal who the murderer is.
• The accused Sim will either break down and confess (if you're correct), or become angry (if you're incorrect).

Replayability
• The story has multiple endings so can be played over and over, with a new culprit and a new clues each time.

New Social Interactions:
• Ask questions to gather information about the mystery (e.g. ask about: alibi, suspects, victim etc.). (Available during main story and Private Investigator gigs - See New Freelance Career below).
• Eavesdrop (available with the new Inquisitive trait - see New Trait).

New Object Interactions:
(Unlocked with the Sleuthing skill - see below)
• Search through draws/cupboards/bookshelves/desks/bins. Beware, if Sims catch you snooping through their things they are likely to become angry!
• Pick locks.

New Freelance Career:
Private Investigator
(I've not played TS3: Ambitions but imagine it would be similar to the Investigator Career.)
• Gigs include solving minor mysteries such as recovering stolen artifacts from the museum and confronting the theif, and finding missing Sims (or pets if you own Cats and Dogs).
• Desirable Skills: Sleuthing and logic.
(I don't play the Detective career much and fear this may be too similar, so would love some input!)

New Skill:
Sleuthing
• Skill can be built by watching the (new) mystery channel, reading mystery novels, and using investigative interactions.
• Higher skill levels unlock more interactions, and raise your chance at successfully sleuthing, improving your chance of solving mysteries.

New Trait:
Inquisitive
Sims with this trait can:
• Find out multiple bits of a information about a Sim during only one "get to know" interaction.
• Eavesdrop on conversations to find out information about Sims without being part of the conversation. A higher sleuthing skill makes your sim less likely to be caught eavesdropping. If your Sim is caught then the Sims they were listening to will become angry, and your Sim will become embarrassed.

New World:
A small Parisian inspired world consisting of:
• Bazalgette Manor
• One or Two residential lots
• An apartment building
• A museum
• A couple of other commercial lots
bOm075v.png
s3hbRff.png
tVdUben.png
HNIeTf5.png

New Death:
Spiked Punch Bowl
• With a new object, a punch bowl, Sims can prepare fruit punch (similar to using the kava bowl from Island Living).
• Sims with the goofball or mean trait can spike the punch, resulting in Sims who drink it becoming uncomfortable or dazed.
• Sims with the evil trait can spike the punch, resulting in Sims who drink it dieing.

New Objects
• Punch Bowl (see New Death)
• Bubble Pipe
Similar to the Bubble Blower, but a handheld pipe.
• Tabletop Chess Set
A small chess set that can be stored in a Sim's inventory and placed on any dining table.

New Recipes
• Caviar
• Onion Soup
• Escargot:
Can result in two possible moodlets:
- Confident: Tastes like chicken.
- Uncomfortable: EscarNO!

New TV Channel:
• Mystery Network

New NPC:
Burglars
• Burglars can pick locks and break into residential lots via doors and windows.
• You may also come across burglars during Private Investigator gigs.
(Burglars can be deterred by altering the "no trespassing" settings on your door, or buying a burglar alarm).

New Premade Sims:
• Mystery Writer Anna-Liza Riddle (TS3: Ambitions) makes a return.
• Bazalgette Manor Characters:
- Hugh Dunnett: A wealthy business man and Lord of Bazalgette Manor.
- Theodore Dunnett: Hugh's son who, thanks to his father's wealth, has never had to work a day in his life.
- Penelope Monet: A pretty girl who is used to getting her own way. Spoiled brat and Theodore's fiancé.
- Charles Chevrolet: An old friend and business partner of Hugh.
- Colette Chevrolet: The wife of Charles, who definitely prefers the finer things in life.
- Ed Herring: A timid and bookish man, and Hugh's good friend and accountant.
- Fleur La Plume: The dimwitted maid at Bazalgette Manor, who is always breaking something.

News Papers (Possible BG Update):
• Click on your mailbox to subscribe to the local newspaper to receive one each week.
• Read about local goings on (and if you're in the P.I career you may see one of your cracked cases in the headlines!).
• Do crossword puzzles to build logic skill.
• Sims with the evil trait can read the obituary page for fun (like they can via the computer).

40s and 50s inspired CAS/BB items:
9LTFARc.png
0laKNXQ.png
sGbMHuq.png
QCxiDUU.png
JYvgtbw.png
8C9wJxP.png
omdQ66P.png
YxSTwgu.png
ucV4bru.png
8ZHDyJm.png
C3DIYOk.png
wqOeYkj.png
Post edited by GirlFromIpanema on

Comments

• PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I love this. The town, the decor, the CAS items are so lovely. :smile:
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Thank you, I really appreciate it. :smile:
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    Oh definitely. I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie mysteries and such. I would love that.
    edited August 2021
    @bluedanube Well, I know nothing about coding but it's nice to know it wouldn't be that difficult! :smile:
    I understand what you mean about poor Hugh. It could be possible that a Sim model isn't needed at all, similar to Jacques Villareal's wife in GT.

Thank you @jpsulsuldagdag I'm glad others enjoy this idea, I was a little nervous posting it. :smile:
    Has anyone ever played the Private Investigator Career from TS3: Ambitions?
    Is it very similar to the Detective Career, or is it something you would like to see brought back? :smile:
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Actually this sounds pretty interesting!! I can't believe how much detail you thought out. You wrote the whole pack🤣🤣
    I really enjoyed strangerville and I consider it replayable despite the story so I think this would be fun.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Haha, I may have gotten a little carried away. I know it's a lot of writing but I appreciate you taking the time to read it. :smile:
    Oh, and how could I forget these very important CAS items? :lol:
    Its elementary, my dear Watson!
    YxSTwgu.png
    ucV4bru.png
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'd love that!

edited because I wanted to add that I love the spiced punch bowl! I would use that in my game.
    Thank you @imhappy, I thought you might like it. :smile:

I'm definitely getting a little carried away, and this is becoming a little pet project of mine. I'm having lots of fun with it.

I've added some new objects and come new recipes:

New Objects
    • Punch Bowl (see New Death)
    • Bubble Pipe
    Similar to the Bubble Blower, but a handheld pipe.
    • Tabletop Chess Set
    A small chess set that can be stored in a Sim's inventory and placed on any dining table.

New Recipes
    • Caviar
    • Onion Soup
    • Escargot:
    Can result in two possible moodlets:
    - Confident: Tastes like chicken.
    - Uncomfortable: EscarNO!

I'd love to hear any ideas you have for it too. :smile:
    That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that.
    I suppose a Sim with both traits would have both options to spike the punch. There could be a "Spike punch bowl with..." option, then they could choose from there.

There could also possibly be a sign to signal to players that the punch has been spiked, such as a colour change, so that your Sim doesn't accidentally die.
    I'm sure there are lots of possibilities and I'm open to suggestions. :smile:
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    I would love to get a pack like that! :) Your idea is very detailed, I hope EA sees this.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
    I would love to get a pack like that! :) Your idea is very detailed, I hope EA sees this.

I doubt they will, but thank you very much! I appreciate it, and thank you for taking the time to read it, I know it was a lot! I'll try to stop adding any more to it (but no promises... :wink: ).
  • PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    I really like this idea for a pack, it's very well thought out, from the story to the cas items. It makes me think of Clue.

The eavesdropping made me think of the bug you plant on people with Strangerville. Maybe you can use that if the PI is tech savvy.

I like the idea of the PI to be a freelance career because that makes it stand out from the detective career. It's been a long time since I played the detective career but from what I remember you take witness reports and find clues to solve cases but all during work hours. I would love it if I could snoop around at night lol.

Since the murder mystery is inside the house that could also mean that the PI cases can be both about murder or other things like, who keeps feeding my cow plant or something! I would definitely play this pack. Thanks for posting your idea!
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I would be more interested it if we could set up our own mysteries, Sims who can manipulate or orchestrate the script.
    If I played with a pack like this I would want to be be able to assign my own sims to the roles I'd want them to play.

I'm not always interested in playing someone else's story, but my story. and the problem with packs like this, Jungle Adventure, Strangerville, I can't bend those packs to my will. It's on a set track that can't be altered. My spell casters can't use their magic to fight Bosses battles, or navigate through dungeons, or solve the mystery. Packs like this should be able to draw from all packs, or at least leave room for player creativity.

Like to get to the bottom of this My spellcaster could cast Deliriate on the Guests to have an easier time interrogating them.

What if I wanted to play as the Murderer, or the "villain?"

It should be a trait similar to Kleptomaniac, Maybe Assassin.
    High Cooking/Mixology + Mischief Skill gives the Assassin a special interaction to craft and effectively poison for or drinks with with no detection. Perhaps a stealth Skill allowing them to hide in the shadows.

Again, Burglars, I can't tell you how much it annoyed me to be a powerful spellcaster, and I can't use my magic on a common their to smite them.
    At least now I can Objectify Them, or turn them into monsters. But I suppose if One dared try to steal from me now, I could torture them.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 695 Member
    I just discovered this! This is a wonderfull idea. I want this as the next pack!
    @Pixilated Thank you so much! Clue/Cluedo is one of my favourite board games and definitely served as inspiration for some of this. (The film too, of course!).
    I haven't played Strangeville but it sounds like the bugs would be great for sleuthing!
    I couldn't think if many P.I cases, but I love your "Who keeps feeding my cow plant" idea!

@MasonGamer Thank you for your feedback! I don't own RoM so I can't say much to that, but I do agree that packs should be able to work together quite nicely.
    I also agree with leaving room for player creativity.
    Story packs aren't for everyone and that's fine. I think I'd enjoy a story pack, but the two we currently have don't interest me much.

@Ziafar Thank you! Maybe one day there will be a pack similar to this. Fingers crossed! :smile:
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,821 Member
    Id buy that pack . Im sure devs noticed it already , they should offer you a job ! just saying ....
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
    Thank you @rongtudjuuu! That's very kind of you.
    Well, they know where I am if they want me! :wink: haha.
  • GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    Ooh, excellent idea, I’d definitely buy it as well :)
    I was rather disappointed last year when the rumoured Murder at the Manor pack turned out to be a hoax so this would be just perfect instead :)
    Greyling wrote: »
    Ooh, excellent idea, I’d definitely buy it as well :)
    I was rather disappointed last year when the rumoured Murder at the Manor pack turned out to be a hoax so this would be just perfect instead :)

I remember that rumour, I was quite disappointed too. I'm happy that other players like the idea though. Hopefully some day we will have a mystery based pack. :smile:
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    I would play the heck out of this!