Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I recently got back into the Sims 3 and have a few questions.

So it's been a few years since I played the Sims 3 regularly, but this past summer I got back into it and have been playing it pretty steadily since. And so I have run into a few different questions as I have played. Maybe simmers that have played the Sims 3 recently more than I have could help? I have all packs in case that helps answering the questions.

1. Is there any storage bins or am I confusing it with Sims 4 in this case. More specifically is there a chest or something to keep all my sims' gems and alchemical supplies in instead of their inventory?

2. This is my first time playing with a horse and I have a couple of questions. First when my sim rode the horse home after buying it at the stable, the horse was walking really slow. Do they get faster? I want to use a horse for travel. Also if the horse lives on a lot with a lot of room to run, do they need a stall? It looked like my horse could do everything the stall provided right on the lot like eat and sleep.

3. I noticed when I switch households my sims lose all of the produce they harvested and put in their fridge. Is their some way to prevent this, or is keeping the harvestables in their inventory the only way?

4. And lastly, my sims has some baby dragons in their front yard, if I keep them there will sims steal them? And by stealing I mean, playing with them, putting them in their inventory and walking off with them. Should I put them in a locked area?

Thank you so much guys! <3

Comments

• KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    1. http://modthesims.info/d/432534/a-collector-s-dream.html
    https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/function_storage_misc_02.shtml

3. Pretty sure it can be fixed with nraas Story Progression Mod (can't seem to find that setting at the moment).
    https://www.nraas.net/community/StoryProgression
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    #2 - You will be able to trot and gallop when you level up the riding skill.
    You don't have to provide a stall if you don't want to, they just need a trough, hay/salt lick and a a horsee ball.

#3- Do you have World adventures? Have you tried putting them in a chest? Not sure if that will work or not.

#4- I haven't seen that happen yet.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    3 - It's not a setting. NRaas SP protects the contents of sims' fridges upon switching in and out of households by its mere presence.

4 - If you name the dragons, then other sims should recognize them as owned and not be able to walk off with them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    I use the chests from World Adventures to store things and I think they're worth the trip.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    The WA chests are available in buydebug, too. No need to make a trip.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • DreamOperatorDreamOperator Posts: 241 Member
    Thanks so much everyone! That all helped a lot!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2019
    1. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the alchemy cabinets that come with Supernatural. They are specifically made for both storing and displaying alchemy ingredients and elixirs. In the buy catalog, sort by function, choose surfaces, then displays. There are two of them, Aleister's Alchemy Cabinet at $415 and Aleister's Antique Alchemy Cabinet at $475.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    3 - It's not a setting. NRaas SP protects the contents of sims' fridges upon switching in and out of households by its mere presence.

I have noticed that when I rotate back into a family, all prepared food is spoiled. Have I missed something or is prepared food different than produce?
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Rhiannon58 It depends on the fridge you have. Cheap fridges keep dishes fresh for three days, if I remember correctly, the more expensive ones longer. Only the fridge you get as reward from the highest level of the cooking career (the "-1 K" one) keeps dishes fresh indefinitely.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Right, SP protects fridge contents but does not interfere (or shouldn't be) with the spoiling schedule of prepared foods. So it would depend on both the quality of the fridge and how long the game has been focused elsewhere as to how much or any of it would still be edible after switching back in.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I use the chests from World Adventures to store things and I think they're worth the trip.

I always use them too, they're very convenient, and can hold unlimited amount of things it seems.

suzses wrote: »
    The WA chests are available in buydebug, too. No need to make a trip.

Exactly! The Buydebug content is wonderful in so many ways, :) I would never want to play without it!

IreneSwift wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the alchemy cabinets that come with Supernatural. They are specifically made for both storing and displaying alchemy ingredients and elixirs. In the buy catalog, sort by function, choose surfaces, then displays. There are two of them, Aleister's Alchemy Cabinet at $415 and Aleister's Antique Alchemy Cabinet at $475.

The problem with those cabinets vs the chests is that they're so much bigger, both their height and width, and take up much more space.

Oo4VnQz.jpg
    @SuzyCue72 Those cabinets are also quite decorative. You can put 8 elixirs (or potions) on display, and some of those look quite stunning, especially in-game, where their animated effects show. I use both types of containers. Plus a seed box (CC).
    Just to add a pic:
    qvBFPHG.jpg
    You have sparkles and fumes coming out of the flasks, which looks nicer in animation than in a pic.
    1. http://modthesims.info/d/432534/a-collector-s-dream.html
    https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/function_storage_misc_02.shtml

3. Pretty sure it can be fixed with nraas Story Progression Mod (can't seem to find that setting at the moment).
    https://www.nraas.net/community/StoryProgression

I really liked the collector's dream cabinet, but after I downloaded it, I couldn't find it in the game.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited November 2019
    @DreamOperator, to use cc you have to have a mods folder. Hopefully you’ve used mods and CC in the past when you used to play Sims 3

Sometimes the annoying thing is.that CC does have a problem of not showing up in the buyobjects categories. That can be either as a result of mis-categorization when the cc was made or there’s a defect with the cc that prevents it from being displayed in which case that particular cc is corrupt and can’t be used. In this case I think it might be a matter of how your mods folder is set up if you have one or mis-categorization since another simmer was able to use it.

1. As others have indicated there are three chests available from the World Adventures EP one from each of the Vacation worlds. testingcheatsenabled on; buydebug will enable you to access various objects from the different worlds that are locked. They would be in the miscellaneous objects in build mode of buydebug, I believe. I don’t have access to my computer. It has to get repaired so I can't take a screen-cap pf exactly where they are located. For potions there are potion display shelves that will be available to you when you have the Supernatural EP enabled.
    2. I am not entirely sure about that and I haven’t played with horses much in the Pets EP so this is a wild guess. I presume they have to be trained in order to increase in speed just like dogs and cats have to be trained in order to hunt. Of course alternatively you could just get Twallans mod (NRAAS Master Controller) and zap then immediately to Level 10. :mrgreen: (yes, I know I do love my cheats.
    3. I’ve never had a produce problem even with the cheap fridges while moving households house to house so unfortynately I’ve never run across this problem. Outside of Master Controller resetting the produce’s mode from spoiled to good I’m not sure of an easy way to remedy the problem.
    Alternatively when you've set up your mods folder, you can download http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=588249 - the Buyable Chef’s career fridge. Sometimes the career’s fridge bugs out and you don’t want to have to go through another headache to get that fridge back or well, since I’m a dirty rotten cheater. :mrgreen:
    4. Unfortunately I don’t have Dragon Valley yet so I won’t be able to help on this question. But Sims will walk of with objects that they pick up; up to and including your babies. CPS would have a field day :mrgreen: there is one way I believe of getting your dragons back and that is to use Master Controller to search the Sim responsible’s personal inventory and then transfer the object back to you. When an item like a dragon is taken the game treats it like an object so it should be findable. As I don’t have access to my computer, I can’t give you the exact way to do it but I have done it with various other objects and a toddler a couple times that a townie had walked off with. Disasters and Blessings mod is a great way to punish the thieving rats after you’ve gotten back your possessions.

Anyways @DreamOperator, welcome back to Sims 3.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    edited November 2019
    @DreamOperator, to use cc you have to have a mods folder. Hopefully you’ve used mods and CC in the past when you used to play Sims 3

Sometimes the annoying thing is.that CC does have a problem of not showing up in the buyobjects categories. That can be either as a result of mis-categorization when the cc was made or there’s a defect with the cc that prevents it from being displayed in which case that particular cc is corrupt and can’t be used. In this case I think it might be a matter of how your mods folder is set up if you have one or mis-categorization since another simmer was able to use it.

Yes, I've used CC and mods in the past and I still use them today. As for where I put the cc in question...I did put it in my downloads folder. Thank you for bringing this to may attention. I am a bit rusty on Sims 3 mods and cc. Alright, so I have now put it in my mods/packages folder. I bet this fixes it. I don't have time to load up the game right now (one of my few complaints with the game and one of the reasons why I moved on to Sims 4, is it takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to load even on my newer computer), but I will load it up tonight and play with it. I do think that probably fixed the problem though so thanks so much! <3

I really liked the collector's dream cabinet, but after I downloaded it, I couldn't find it in the game.
    For me, it's in the Storage>Miscellaneous category.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2019
    2. I am not entirely sure about that and I haven’t played with horses much in the Pets EP so this is a wild guess. I presume they have to be trained in order to increase in speed just like dogs and cats have to be trained in order to hunt. Of course alternatively you could just get Twallans mod (NRAAS Master Controller) and zap then immediately to Level 10. :mrgreen: (yes, I know I do love my cheats.

Actually, it's the rider's skill that determines what speed they can ride at. Beginning riders can't gallop on their horses. I don't remember what level allows that. Higher level riders can also ride bareback.

SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the alchemy cabinets that come with Supernatural. They are specifically made for both storing and displaying alchemy ingredients and elixirs. In the buy catalog, sort by function, choose surfaces, then displays. There are two of them, Aleister's Alchemy Cabinet at $415 and Aleister's Antique Alchemy Cabinet at $475.

The problem with those cabinets vs the chests is that they're so much bigger, both their height and width, and take up much more space.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but when I play a sim with alchemy skill I always use them anyway, because I like to display elixirs on the shelves. To me, it's enough of a bonus to have them good for decor also, and also to make the alchemy work are look more realistic.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    @IreneSwift -Thanks for clearing that up, Irene. :thumbs up: I wasn’t sure so its good that @DreamOperator can get more accurate info from someone who has actually played with horses more intensively.

Even though at one time in my youth I really wanted a horse in RL. Helping a neighbour with her horse’s tack and grooming talked me out of that. :mrgreen: I used to live in a rural town on five acres while growing up; had chickens, ducks and geese, as well as goats. Long time ago. But if I ever win the lotto I might get an acreage and raise chickens for the eggs and goats for milk. :)

Lots of fun.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited November 2019
    Turjan is right about where to find the cabinet - storage, misc.
    And since its a package file, it goes in your "mods" folder.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes, I've used CC and mods in the past and I still use them today. As for where I put the cc in question...I did put it in my downloads folder

I see you figured out it belongs in the packages folder.But in case another user has the same issue or this thread pops up in a google search..

the downloads folder is just a folder where .sims files go waiting to be installed.They won't show up in game until you open the launcher and install it through the launcher.

in this case, the mod/cc was a .package file, so it doesn't even touch the launcher.They go in electronic arts---the sims 3---mods --- packages.

To sum it up:
    .simspacks = gets installed via the launcher.Just placing it in the "downloads" folder won't get it to show up.
    .packages = goes into the mods folder --- package folder. :)

Like I said I know you found the solution; but in case someone else has that issue and stumbles upon the thread =)
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    edited November 2019
    Turjan wrote: »
    @SuzyCue72 Those cabinets are also quite decorative. You can put 8 elixirs (or potions) on display, and some of those look quite stunning, especially in-game, where their animated effects show. I use both types of containers. Plus a seed box (CC).
    Yes, I'm aware of that, but when I play a sim with alchemy skill I always use them anyway, because I like to display elixirs on the shelves. To me, it's enough of a bonus to have them good for decor also, and also to make the alchemy work are look more realistic.

@Turjan @IreneSwift - Yeah, the cabinets are decorative and all, but they're also big and bulky and blocking the view inside the house quite a lot, which makes it necessary to move the camera around more to be able to see the sims, and when I do that it has a tendency to j e r k and stutter a bit, and that is one of the few things I do not like at all with TS3. :/