Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Discover University Meet Your Expectations?

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2019
    Discover University met my expectations.
    I didn't really have any expectations. Figured Uni would be about like other previous University packs more or less as they were kinda in the middle of not loving it, but not hating it either.

I like how sims actually have to manage their time accordingly because I failed two out of my sims 3 classes pretty easily as I thought it'd be pretty easy. It was not haha. I always see Uni packs as sims experiencing more of the university life than classes, since yeah you can just get a job and work on getting your work performance up as well as skills to equal about the same amount of time you could put into taking your sim into a university, but hey what's the fun in that? Feels like my sim has more of a sense of accomplishment in working towards getting a higher position in a job after being in Uni to work towards it. Plus it didn't feel like a huge, tedious grind.

I found the roommate feature to be one of the most interesting gameplay aspects in the pack considering your sim doesn't even have to go to a university to use it and your roommate can pay your sim their rent. I just like having another sim you can't control. Ever since the tutorial they made I've been wanting a roommate for a sim so much. Glad to see they put that in here and expanded it. Roommates going on about their date, inviting their friends or significant other over and even throwing parties as well as decorating. I LOVE this.

CAS has been more than amazing in this pack and I'm glad to see a lot of denim jeans and some really good variety of clothing for males in this pack too. Build/buy has some good items, but pretty underwhelming.

Needs a couple of thing sin here that would have made this near perfect to exceed expectations for me, but this pack? Definitely been keeping me busy for some hours.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I don't like it. At all.
    I am not the biggest fan of sims games getting University but this one is awesome. What is it you don't like about it?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    Discover University did NOT meet my expectations.
    University has always been my favorite pack and while I have enjoyed this pack more than I thought I would, I can't get over the lack of greek life. Sororities and fraternities should have been added and new game play (like pledging) with it. The organization system could have easily accomplished this and a couple of big lots to create a greek row would have made the world feel more fleshed out and given players more freedom with the stories they want to tell. I don't want all of my sims to be on tiny lots or in the dorms.

• 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    I feel like TS4 fanbase has low to no expectations so I'm not at all surprised that this game met or exceed most people's expectations. This game is so buggy and missing so much (yes I compare this to the other university game because each pack should get better and have more) that I don't know how it could exceed expectations I guess that people are so used to watered down content at this point any thing looks good, I've got to give to EA there they know what their doing.
  • PurpleStarBoyPurpleStarBoy Posts: 14 New Member
    I like this university pack. It met my expectation with some surprises!!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Although I selected met my expectations as someone who has played all of the previous versions I've learned not have any expectations for the Sims 4 packs because invariably you end up comparing what you had before without appreciating what's new and different.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Yes! Discover University exceeded my expectations!
    I've put exceeded, as I didn't expect them to have two distinct unis, which they do. Also super happy for making it more European style. Having to apply for a specific degree rather than a major and the world in general. I'm really happy with the world, could have some bigger lots in the town area, but it's better than I expected. Guess I set my expectations low, so was pleasantly surprised. Most of the little annoyances can be modded out (lack of stoves, cafeteria costing money on uni housing lots).

Generally it's a solid pack, I've been mostly a builder recently but this actually makes me want to go back and play my sims - which I have, a lot. I've played one of my sims halfway through uni, I've used the roommate system in San Myshuno which works great and I've had a blast playing it. More so than I have for a very long time, I can't remember being this excited about gameplay ever with the sims 4. Also the CAS & BB are really good with this pack. It's weird, there are less items than usual just by numbers, but it seems to be quality over quantity. Also everything is super flexible. Like the RoM BB is nice but super niche, whereas the IKEA-like bedroom set has so many uses and most of the CAS/BB is really versatile, even the uni-themed banners have non-uni swatches so can be used in kids/teens rooms at home.

Overall, super happy with the pack, I was keeping my expectations low so not to be disappointed and I'm surprised at how happy I am with the pack :).
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    I feel like TS4 fanbase has low to no expectations so I'm not at all surprised that this game met or exceed most people's expectations. This game is so buggy and missing so much (yes I compare this to the other university game because each pack should get better and have more) that I don't know how it could exceed expectations I guess that people are so used to watered down content at this point any thing looks good, I've got to give to EA there they know what their doing.

I was thinking the same thing...LOL
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    2fab4uboo wrote: »

I think it's the best Uni pack, honestly. 🤷‍♀️ For me it's flexibility that matters, and with Discover University we can tell tons of different stories. Any sim can study and they don't have to abandon their current lives. We can build our own campuses and pretend it's a different Uni (almost like in TS2).
    I remember a lot of people were worried that TS4 Uni will be all about partying. Well, it's not. It's about studying hard. And I love it. It's so realistic and challenging, almost as realistic as toddlers 😅 (another thing that Sims 4 made better than previous games).
  • Princess076Princess076 Posts: 5 New Member
    This pack met my expectations.

I watched all of the streams about the pack and was really excited about playing. I've played for a little while and I love the pack. Sims 2 University was one of my favorite legacy packs and I miss being able to easily see class progress with this pack. I really enjoy playing this pack GREAT JOB everyone!! Can't wait to see what is next because the last few packs have been really good (realm, island, get famous and university).

I do have some questions about game play though like...how do you know when you get money from your roommates on residential lots? And how do you guest speak at the university after you graduate?? Does anyone know where the game play questions are answered?
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    how do you know when you get money from your roommates on residential lots?

You get a pop-up in the top right corner telling you've they paid you and the amount they paid.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    DU met my expectations for what I'd expect in a university themed pack. there's classes, papers to write, grades, degrees... bikes, parties, kegstand. I don't believe what people would expect otherwise, really.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited November 2019
    idk i haven't got it yet but I suppose the fact I am even planning to get it tells enough
    since I totally did not expect to want university pack ._. it has already exceeded what little expectations i had
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    University is rather empty, nightclub got more people than event in university
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I like it a lot, but I just wish there was a better way to make rotational gameplay less of a problem with it.
  • flintylime59flintylime59 Posts: 70 Member
    I haven't played a whole lot because trying to get your sims into university takes so much time, but as I finally got there everything was underwhelming. The main campus was so empty, it maybe had three or four sims including mine at one time. The dorms only have a single floor and felt super empty. I really didn't like how the class schedules were build into the "work" tab, making you scroll all the way down (especially if you have a lot of classes) just to see what time your next class is. I don't even really use that tab anymore, I mostly just use the calendar included with Seasons. Overall the pack so far feels empty and buggy, it seems like it has a lot of potential and I'm still going to give it a fair shot but so far it feels like a chore to do anything.
    "Embrace your flaws, work on your flaws, and don't be ashamed of having any flaws."

-Felix Kjellberg
  • BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    edited November 2019
    I just got my Bachelor's degree this past August (l got my degree in Sociology) and l must admit, playing this pack made me feel like l was in school all over again lol. Like l did in real life, l had to manage my time and decide when to do homework, when to eat, hell, when to sleep. I feel this pack is very realistic and l appreciate the Sims team and EA in making in realistic. It gets 5/5 stars from me! (:
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2019
    izecson wrote: »
    University is rather empty, nightclub got more people than event in university

Probably because sims are pretty designated to one spot to be at a nightclub. With University being so large they're pretty scattered that and having different schedules (and majors) if they're students as well as professors. Guess it pretty much varies? Reminds me of the big campus when I went to college a blessing yet a curse as well.

I've been seeing a lot of sims at the events that pop up and the spirit day. Now and again there were just a few sims collecting in the middle near the statue of said University and then another time there would be a lot. So sometimes yes and sometimes empty. Can see how that can be a negative if you don't get to see a lot of sims about.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Regardless of my opinion of the pack as a whole, I have to agree on the fact that students really feel scattered, and that I felt the campus life was suffering of it.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    To the posters who have said anything about empty anything did not see my sim's dorm room at 1 AM this morning, lol. There were 17 sims in my sim's dorm and she was miserable...so I moved her back to her small house in Glimmerbrook. All the food, all the sims at all hours, um, nope not my or my sim's style.

The biggest gripe I have with this ep is locking the doors and a sim's laptop DOES NOT WORK, grrr. I need a patch now. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Heavensent2010Heavensent2010 Posts: 167 Member
    edited November 2019
    Glad I only paid $24 for it.. *Patiently waits on mods to fill in the gaps of this EP*
    Post edited by Heavensent2010 on
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited November 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Anyone defending this humiliating EP is blind. And this is not an opinion, it’s truth.

Sorry. That is literally OPINION. People's thoughts over a video game will always be an opinion. Just because you have some strange bitter hate for the pack does not mean many people don't like it. lol
    I have it and I am starting to not like it and I haven't even experienced everything. But any University EP they would have done I won't like I don't like that pack in the sims series at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I chose met my expectations because I feel like it's a solid pack. I'm not in love with it, but I don't hate it either. It adds some really nice game play that is useful and versatile, and I really like it when packs do that.

How is it versatile? This is something I want to know. I don't see how it is useable outside the Uni experience.

Hi Fullspiral! The roommate system is the primary versatile asset I was referencing. You can use that feature in any world, so you don't have to be at University to have roommates. I love the elements of unpredictable chaos that living with roommates brings, for some reason, it gives the game a very Sims 2 vibe... at least for me. You can't control your roommates, though, so the mess and chaos that they bring isn't for everyone, but for a simmer like me who enjoys having sims I'm not in control of close at hand, without needing a loading screen, this is more fun for me than the apartments. I'm setting up a little trailer park right now, and I'll be using the roommate system to populate the trailer houses with curious characters while I main a small family of 3.

I also consider the soccer ball and bikes to be versatile assets. The bikes, like the brooms, are neat to have in the game but not something I'm fond of. I like that they're usable everywhere, though, for the people who are into that sort of thing. I like options, even if it's not an option I will utilize. That soccer ball, though, I actually like.

I play on small lots, so I don't usually have room for a treadmill, punching bag, or weight lifting machine. I've never used the gigantic rock wall. That tiny one tile soccer ball is perfect for my sims who live in small spaces. It's just a nice and refreshing way to level fitness that doesn't require a large piece of equipment. We have jogging, but that's been the standard "small house" way to level fitness since time began and progress in the skill line is really slow. I'm happy to see something that doesn't take up so much space and has a decent progression speed through the skill line.

I haven't graduated with my degree yet, so I don't know if we get to keep our secret society sprite summoning skills after leaving college, but if we do, that's another versatile aspect of game play that I will enjoy outside the university setting. Summoning sprites to attack random sims is amusing for my mischievous and evil sims, and I like to use the sprites on my own sims in order to increase the speed at which they learn certain skill sets.

Thanks for your reply. :) Don't you have to have university lot type selected to have roommates? Therefore no stove? And tied to one uni or the other?
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I chose met my expectations because I feel like it's a solid pack. I'm not in love with it, but I don't hate it either. It adds some really nice game play that is useful and versatile, and I really like it when packs do that.

How is it versatile? This is something I want to know. I don't see how it is useable outside the Uni experience.

Hi Fullspiral! The roommate system is the primary versatile asset I was referencing. You can use that feature in any world, so you don't have to be at University to have roommates. I love the elements of unpredictable chaos that living with roommates brings, for some reason, it gives the game a very Sims 2 vibe... at least for me. You can't control your roommates, though, so the mess and chaos that they bring isn't for everyone, but for a simmer like me who enjoys having sims I'm not in control of close at hand, without needing a loading screen, this is more fun for me than the apartments. I'm setting up a little trailer park right now, and I'll be using the roommate system to populate the trailer houses with curious characters while I main a small family of 3.

I also consider the soccer ball and bikes to be versatile assets. The bikes, like the brooms, are neat to have in the game but not something I'm fond of. I like that they're usable everywhere, though, for the people who are into that sort of thing. I like options, even if it's not an option I will utilize. That soccer ball, though, I actually like.

I play on small lots, so I don't usually have room for a treadmill, punching bag, or weight lifting machine. I've never used the gigantic rock wall. That tiny one tile soccer ball is perfect for my sims who live in small spaces. It's just a nice and refreshing way to level fitness that doesn't require a large piece of equipment. We have jogging, but that's been the standard "small house" way to level fitness since time began and progress in the skill line is really slow. I'm happy to see something that doesn't take up so much space and has a decent progression speed through the skill line.

I haven't graduated with my degree yet, so I don't know if we get to keep our secret society sprite summoning skills after leaving college, but if we do, that's another versatile aspect of game play that I will enjoy outside the university setting. Summoning sprites to attack random sims is amusing for my mischievous and evil sims, and I like to use the sprites on my own sims in order to increase the speed at which they learn certain skill sets.

Thanks for your reply. :) Don't you have to have university lot type selected to have roommates? Therefore no stove? And tied to one uni or the other?

Nope, if you use the phone you can put out an ad for a roommate (no matter where you live) or ask a friend to be your roommate.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I love it so far except for the constant bugs when I try to save my games. I haven't been able to do as much as I'd hoped because I always have to start over. Grrrrr.