Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is going on with failing classes?

I had a sim who had an A-. The next term she had 2 classes and was on top of everything. All homework done, papers and studied on top of it. Then it was over and she got suspended. I don't understand why? Is there a bug or did this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve noticed people reporting this as the terms get more advanced and they’ve figured out it is because the sims aren’t improving their skills high enough. Studying for a class will raise the skill you need, but I don’t know how you are supposed to know what skill level they want. Have you emailed the professors to see where you stand in the class? You did mention you are studying - to what level?
  • ksimmiesksimmies Posts: 77 Member
    Sorry, she got put on probation not suspended
    babajayne wrote: »
    I’ve noticed people reporting this as the terms get more advanced and they’ve figured out it is because the sims aren’t improving their skills high enough. Studying for a class will raise the skill you need, but I don’t know how you are supposed to know what skill level they want. Have you emailed the professors to see where you stand in the class? You did mention you are studying - to what level?

Ooh. Yeah she's studying but probably not enough to get higher skills.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    ksimmies wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »

Ooh. Yeah she's studying but probably not enough to get higher skills.
    It tells you in the job panel what skills they need for class.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SimnogoSimnogo Posts: 3 New Member
    my sim failed the elective class. Not sure why. I turned an excellent term paper and it acted like I didn't. Before class ended I even went back on the computer and checked again.
    sorry forgot to mention, that yes the term paper requirement was checked.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Sounds like a bug.
    I thought so too, but I didn’t really go up in that skill. Maybe that was it
    I was failing electives too. I'm starting to think it's because I didn't go up in skill.
  • MogopMogop Posts: 39 Member
    My sim got an A+ in a class one term where I forgot to hand in her term paper. And this term she got an F in a class with a presentation, which she did give in ample time, and the term goal was checked off in the UI - except when checking in with the professor about her grade they kept saying she needed to hold her presentation. So something seems to be off. :/
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Stupid question probably but was the term paper refined and edited to the proper level? If its not, they get a lower grade for the class.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    One of my sims also failed her elective. She handed in her term paper on time, and the quality of the paper was Outstanding. It was the Wellness elective and my sim's Wellness skill was level 6, so I have no idea how high it would have to be for her to get a good grade. It was her first term at university, so it's not like the class should have been very advanced.

This is why I don't understand why the devs made the class progression invisible. If I don't know why my sim is failing, how am I supposed to prevent it? Just give me a progress bar like with careers so I know where my sims stand. I don't even mind if they fail, I just want to know how and why.

Yeah, all this studiying system is so mysterious... I kinda like it, but at the same time it's frustrating. I would think skill level 6 is high enough to pass... Maybe not with A grade, but not failing either?
    Is your sim doing a distinguished degree? Or even for regular degree requirements are that high?
    I noticed that when my sim had skill level 7 and emailed her professor about grades, professor said she's a good student. Then she developed her skill to level 8 and become a "stellar student" (and also passed her exams with A+).
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    I think it's all tied to skill level. Studying raises the skill linked to the class. Studying in and of itself is not important, what is important is raising the skill. I assume you could skip "studying" and simply improve the skill any way you want so long as you raise the skill. For example if you are doing gardening you can either study, actually garden or read a gardening skill book. You would still have to do the homework (which raises the skill), go to class, take the final exam and do what ever other daily task is required.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    There is a lot more tied to grade performance than in previous editions. As others have said, not only class performance, attendance and coursework are required, but the game also performs various skill checks that increase as your sim goes through the program.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited November 2019
    Ugh so they have to not only complete the required stuff like term papers and presentations but they have to skill up skills too?
  • UnDutchableUnDutchable Posts: 41 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    One of my sims also failed her elective. She handed in her term paper on time, and the quality of the paper was Outstanding. It was the Wellness elective and my sim's Wellness skill was level 6, so I have no idea how high it would have to be for her to get a good grade. It was her first term at university, so it's not like the class should have been very advanced.

This is why I don't understand why the devs made the class progression invisible. If I don't know why my sim is failing, how am I supposed to prevent it? Just give me a progress bar like with careers so I know where my sims stand. I don't even mind if they fail, I just want to know how and why.

Yeah, all this studiying system is so mysterious... I kinda like it, but at the same time it's frustrating. I would think skill level 6 is high enough to pass... Maybe not with A grade, but not failing either?
    Is your sim doing a distinguished degree? Or even for regular degree requirements are that high?
    I noticed that when my sim had skill level 7 and emailed her professor about grades, professor said she's a good student. Then she developed her skill to level 8 and become a "stellar student" (and also passed her exams with A+).

Yes, she was doing the distinguished Biology degree at Foxbury. The other two were doing distinguished degrees as well, though, and they passed with flying colors. I guess the other commenters are right that the grade is tied more to leveling the skill; I distinctly remember that the other two leveled up their skills several times from doing homework and other activities. The sim that failed leveled up her skills for her main classes as well, but not the skill for her elective. So that would explain why she got A+ for her main classes despite missing a few classes and some homework, but an F for her elective despite doing all the homework.

I wonder how it works if your sim is level 10 in the skill they need.

Guess it's time to play the game and do some testing!
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited November 2019
    I wonder how it works if your sim is level 10 in the skill they need.
    My sim started university as a level 9 in painting and was completing a distinguished degree in fine arts. She passed with straight A's and no issue as long as she did the homework for each class at least once and completed and refined her presentations and term papers.

• faith4jesusfaith4jesus Posts: 95 Member
    I just had my sims get an A in one and fail the other. Shes on probation. I was on top of everything or so I thought I was. Homework completed daily, she studied daily and so on.
    I just had my sims get an A in one and fail the other. Shes on probation. I was on top of everything or so I thought I was. Homework completed daily, she studied daily and so on.

What were her levels in the prerequisite skills?
    My latest sim got an A. It seems like you have to do all homework, presentations, papers, edit them, skill up. Don't miss any classes. Check in with professors as well.

But how do you get honors?
    My latest sim got an A. It seems like you have to do all homework, presentations, papers, edit them, skill up. Don't miss any classes. Check in with professors as well.

That will be noted on your degree at graduation. So long as you are still pulling A+ then you are good.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

That will be noted on your degree at graduation. So long as you are still pulling A+ then you are good.

Ah, I didn't know about this feature at all, thanks so much for the clarification. I still don't own the pack due to work overload, but I absolutely love this addition.
    OEII1001 wrote: »

Ah, I didn't know about this feature at all, thanks so much for the clarification. I still don't own the pack due to work overload, but I absolutely love this addition.

It threw me off as well, as unlike real college, honors status is not denoted per term.
  • snootypatootysnootypatooty Posts: 499 Member
    I think the game just does whatever, my sim is maxed skills and does everything she is suppose to and gets A- or B it's random but makes no sense
    The mind will ever be unstable that has only prejudices to rest on, and the current will run with destructive fury when there are no barriers to break its force.
    My website bit.ly/185bQS My Chat website bit.ly/1NiCwCb My Blog bit.ly/OuqF0Y