Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University - Items and Deductions from Initial and Game play Trailers!

Comments

• SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    The trailer also seemed to show most of what we already knew from the description and not that many new things besides CAS and Build.
    Its showed the two Universities, the art, debate and robotics clubs, juice pong and the ping pong table, the mini fridge and dorms, the school presentation.

New things besides CAS and Build were graduation, toilet stalls, shower woohoo, the keg, robotic arms/costumes and I think I saw a chip and dip as a new food type and then a few other things
    The Top five things I would really like to know about the pack
    1. Living options.How do dorms work, if you want to have a story about two rival siblings,one at each campus, would they each stay in their own dorm at their own Universities and you switch between households or are the dorms for both Universities and your household can live together in the dorms and attend either University.

2. How do majors and classes work? They mention sims can take multiple classes and list classes like Biology. Does that mean that a sim who wants do flower arranging can take biology, art and then flower arranging and they all count for different credits to their major? Or are the classes the majors? What are the majors/classes?

3. How does the application process work? Do they take into account skills and grades? Is there an entrance exam or test? Can you apply to both Universities? Are their scholarships?

4. Are the new careers active? work from home? rabbit hole?

5. Is the robotics lab and certain tech majors confined to the Foxbury Institute and is debating and the more arty majors defined to Britechester?
    Or can you study anything anywhere

So basically everything lol

Heres hoping the gurus at least give us some information on twitter, 2 and a half weeks is soooo long!
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm wondering why sim on the right looks like she's wearing a doctoral gown. Or is she just an A student? Or a professor? (with this hair unlikely imo)
    Graduation gowns are not common in my country, so I'm not sure what this means.
    vQ_xF7ridoU.jpg
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    There’s another sim in the background with the same gown. Maybe PHD students ?

I’m not sure though, I’m from France and here there’s no graduation, you just go and get your diploma from an office. No ceremony.
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I'm wondering why sim on the right looks like she's wearing a doctoral gown. Or is she just an A student? Or a professor? (with this hair unlikely imo)
    vQ_xF7ridoU.jpg

• AenalaAenala Posts: 23 Member
    > @Dianesims said:
    > There’s another sim in the background with the same gown. Maybe PHD students ?
    >
    > I’m not sure though, I’m from France and here there’s no graduation, you just go and get your diploma from an office. No ceremony.
    > (Quote)

Being able to get more advanced diplomas would be cool! I don't want to get my hopes up though :/
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »

I’m not sure though, I’m from France and here there’s no graduation, you just go and get your diploma from an office. No ceremony.
    vQ_xF7ridoU.jpg

I'd guess it's either dependent on University or by course. That's how it works in the UK. Gowns are similar but different colours for each university, and within each uni they may differentiate depending on degree. For ours it was different depending on what your degree was - BA, MA, BSc, MSc, etc, - so for bachelor/masters and for arts/science/medicine/etc.. Not each course, but each area.
    So I wouldn't get your hopes up. In this case I'd bet on it being one style for UoB and one for Foxbury, as they seem split on arts/science anyway.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »

vQ_xF7ridoU.jpg

So I wouldn't get your hopes up. In this case I'd bet on it being one style for UoB and one for Foxbury, as they seem split on arts/science anyway.
    Then they should've been in different colours. All of these gowns are green+yellow, and Foxbury colours are red+light blue. I don't think that's the case.

• AenalaAenala Posts: 23 Member
    > @MsTiquelle said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I'd guess it's either dependent on University or by course. That's how it works in the UK. Gowns are similar but different colours for each university, and within each uni they may differentiate depending on degree. For ours it was different depending on what your degree was - BA, MA, BSc, MSc, etc, - so for bachelor/masters and for arts/science/medicine/etc.. Not each course, but each area.
    > So I wouldn't get your hopes up. In this case I'd bet on it being one style for UoB and one for Foxbury, as they seem split on arts/science anyway.

This graduation party seems Britechester specific because all gowns and signs are green with the dragon mascot. I think Foxbury would have red gowns and lobster signs.
    Aenala wrote: »
    > @MsTiquelle said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I'd guess it's either dependent on University or by course. That's how it works in the UK. Gowns are similar but different colours for each university, and within each uni they may differentiate depending on degree. For ours it was different depending on what your degree was - BA, MA, BSc, MSc, etc, - so for bachelor/masters and for arts/science/medicine/etc.. Not each course, but each area.
    > So I wouldn't get your hopes up. In this case I'd bet on it being one style for UoB and one for Foxbury, as they seem split on arts/science anyway.

This graduation party seems Britechester specific because all gowns and signs are green with the dragon mascot. I think Foxbury would have red gowns and lobster signs.

Yeah I also think those are just Britechester, maybe it is for students who got on the Deans list? That was a thing in Sims 3 I think.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Someone smarter than me (and less lazy) should start a thread just for questions (not comments) that they want the devs to answer. Maybe the devs will read through it and jot down a few to be answered during the Live Play event. Can't hurt to try.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I really cant believe we have to wait till 8th of November to get more information on the pack.
    That is more than 2 weeks away....
    Usually they have 3 different developers talks with CAS & Gameplay, Game Mechanics and Build/Buy and the new world. And then they spread them out.
    Why do you think they are bunching them all into one deep dive? They did the same with Seasons I think.
    Maybe they want to keep the mystery and excitement so more people pre-order?
    BUT Seasons deep dive was 3 hours long and this is only 2...
    Do you think there is less content or maybe they just dont want to show it all?
    I'm nervous...

I'm sure we'll receive more information before the livestreams. Probably a couple more blogs in addition to the Gurus answering questions on Twitter. Maybe even another trailer.
    I really cant believe we have to wait till 8th of November to get more information on the pack.
    That is more than 2 weeks away....
    Usually they have 3 different developers talks with CAS & Gameplay, Game Mechanics and Build/Buy and the new world. And then they spread them out.
    Why do you think they are bunching them all into one deep dive? They did the same with Seasons I think.
    Maybe they want to keep the mystery and excitement so more people pre-order?
    BUT Seasons deep dive was 3 hours long and this is only 2...
    Do you think there is less content or maybe they just dont want to show it all?
    I'm nervous...

I'm sure we'll receive more information before the livestreams. Probably a couple more blogs in addition to the Gurus answering questions on Twitter. Maybe even another trailer.

I really hope you're right!
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'm looking forward forward to Keg parties, Soccer and Sketching
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    I'm concerned a big chunk of the trailer revolved around debates but no footage of actual lectures or active careers. When they don't show footage in trailers, we know what that means.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    > @MsTiquelle said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Maybe it's like the top students of the year or something like that? The Valedictorians? The ones that give speeches in movies?

Sorry I'm not from the US either, I am guessing based on American movies :D
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
    I don't think that there are any ACTIVE careers. I think LAW, TEACHING and ENGINEERING will be good old fashioned rabbit holes, which is what I would prefer. All three of those would require so much additional stuff to be active (schools with classrooms, City Hall with courtrooms and offices for engineers) that they would need to be an EP unto themselves.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    > @MsTiquelle said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Maybe it's like the top students of the year or something like that? The Valedictorians? The ones that give speeches in movies?

Sorry I'm not from the US either, I am guessing based on American movies :D

Yeah, it would make sense that they are from UoB as the colours match. Hoping for postgrad studies seems overly optimistic though. We don't get valedictorians here, but we do get a degree classification based on your grades (you get a first class, second class (split into upper/lower) or third class degree).

I'm just hoping for as little influence from the USA as possible. Most of the worlds are based in the USA, I'd be happy if there were no more USA-based worlds at all in the sims and so far, with a couple of exceptions, this world seems pretty promising (fingers crossed!).
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited October 2019
    I wonder if graduation ceremonies, keg parties etc are events similar to birthday parties and weddings.
    Would debates then be similar to the politician career debates, perhaps?
    I'm trying to be realistic, because I doubt we will be getting any drastically new gameplay.
    Presumably, the robotics classes will be similar to how the scientist career days run with tasks to perform in order to max out your upgrade chances.

ETA: Thinking about Villainy specifically, will a good grade in that give you an advantage in the Criminal career? And how will they implement that possibility?
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I think the graduation regalia differs somewhat from one university to another. In general, hoods are worn at the master's level and the three stripes indicate a doctorate. There are often differences in sleeves as well.
    edited October 2019
    I had a short list of "wants" for a Uni pack, some we got, some are still NO INFO yet.

1) nice campus/world..................CHECK.......We got two campuses and a nice European style world.
    2) scholarships/part time work....NO INFO.....Don't know about scholarships or if a sim can work their way through college.
    3) robots.....................................CHECK........We can build several robotic objects including a bot to add to our household.
    4) new careers.............................CHECK........We got three (probably/hopefully rabbit holes).
    5) secret society...........................CHECK........Although we haven't seen or heard anything about it, we do have it in the pack. I do wonder if it's one SS for both schools or will each school have a different SS that also has a rivalry with the other.

So, along with most of my wants being a given now, plus many more things that I didn't expect or know I wanted until I saw them (shower woohoo, bikes and toilet stalls), I'm very pleased at this point. But this point is before the LS and the actual game drop. It's possible that there maybe one or two things that disappoint me (so what, we all don't get everything we want in a pack) or I could be greatly disappointed, but I don't think that will happen. It looks like a fun, fully fleshed out pack and I'm excited.

I have several plans but my main idea is to have twins go to different colleges and be rivals. Could be a fun story to play. I like Uni packs because they can be a totally self-sufficient way to play. You move to college, go to classes, hang out with friends, walk/bike around the town. Everything happens in one world, sort of a throw back to past versions.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I had a short list of "wants" for a Uni pack, some we got, some are still NO INFO yet.

1) nice campus/world..................CHECK.......We got two campuses and a nice European style world.
    2) scholarships/part time work....NO INFO.....Don't know about scholarships or if a sim can work their way through college.
    3) robots.....................................CHECK........We can build several robotic objects including a bot to add to our household.
    4) new careers.............................CHECK........We got three (probably/hopefully rabbit holes).
    5) secret society...........................CHECK........Although we haven't seen or heard anything about it, we do have it in the pack. I do wonder if it's one SS for both schools or will each school have a different SS that also has a rivalry with the other.

So, along with most of my wants being a given now, plus many more things that I didn't expect or know I wanted until I saw them (shower woohoo, bikes and toilet stalls), I'm very pleased at this point. But this point is before the LS and the actual game drop. It's possible that there maybe one or two things that disappoint me (so what, we all don't get everything we want in a pack) or I could be greatly disappointed, but I don't think that will happen. It looks like a fun, fully fleshed out pack and I'm excited.

I have several plans but my main idea is to have twins go to different colleges and be rivals. Could be a fun story to play. I like Uni packs because they can be a totally self-sufficient way to play. You move to college, go to classes, hang out with friends, walk/bike around the town. Everything happens in one world, sort of a throw back to past versions.

I had the twin idea too and thats why I wonder how the dorms will be structured.
    There are three basic options
    1. Each University has its own dorm and only sims attending that University can stay there. Like in real life.
    If this the case then you would have to play the twins as too separate households as they will live in two separate dorms and then switch
    between them.
    2. Each University has its own dorms but sims can stay in which ever they want.
    The twins could stay in the same dorm and you could play both at the same time but the colours and look of the dorms would only be of one
    the twins University and may mess with the story line.
    3. There is a central dorm area that the Universities share.
    The twins could stay in the same dorm and you could play both at the same time , maybe the dorm colours and look are neutral and that can
    work for the story line.

No obviously if you want them in separate households anyway or want them to stay off-campus/in a house in the town then this doesn't matter.
    But I kind of pictured my twins each living in the dorms but then was worried about splitting the time and missing out on things.
    Jerrello wrote: »
    I'm concerned a big chunk of the trailer revolved around debates but no footage of actual lectures or active careers. When they don't show footage in trailers, we know what that means.

Yeah, I know the title is Discover University but I would have loved if the trailer had started with a kid writing and entrance exam, getting an acceptance letter with a scholarship and then they arrive on campus. At least then we could have some more information on the process of getting into Uni and how much game play there is for teens...

Then also with the lectures, I am assuming then they are rabbit holes. I think in Sims 3 one of the classes aren't rabbit holes but they didnt show any of that so I think they are going to go with the excuse that the debate, art and robotics clubs are active and we got two Universities so that put more time and effort into that. They will probably say the clubs are more interesting than watching a sim just sit in class.
    Some questions the gurus have answered so far on twitter...

https://simscommunity.info/2019/10/23/the-sims-4-discover-university-simguru-qa/
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Dannydanbo Hm, good question about the part-time jobs.
    Assumption here: since teens can have those & earn their own money (well, technically, what with the whole household funds thing), one would think that university students would be able to do the same. Though there might be some shuffling around of schedules/making sure the jobs don't conflict with lectures and classes.
    But hopefully even if scholarships aren't a thing, the part-time jobs will be.

That said, I don't even know if we'll be getting uni fees. For all we know this is going to be free education (it is, after all, a thing in some countries, albeit not the US)