Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Legacy Edition: canceled?

So I was on Discover University's page on Origin and got a pop-up notification that says "Minimum requirements have been updated. Please check below for more details." To my surprise, unlike a few previous expansions, Discover University does not require a 64-bit OS to play it, and it also supports some very old OSs like Windows XP (18 year old) and Windows Vista (12 year old).

I then checked the minimum requirements for a few previously 64-bit only packs like Cats & Dogs. Apparently they also no longer require 64-bit.

Legacy Edition was originally planned for June but was postponed to "later this year." Looks like they're going to continue supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Do you think Legacy Edition is canceled altogether, or is it being delayed to the next year?
qidpmcvgek8y.png

Comments

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Probably delayed for the next year, didn’t Mac get the update?
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think it may have been delayed due to other things taking priority: Macs probably messed up their timeline quite a bit since they not only needed (and still do) fixes for Catalina for TS4 but also a fix for TS3 so it can run again on Macs (as right now it doesn't on the newest OS). If it's the same team working on all that, that's probably why.

So yeah, I think it's just been delayed for next year.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I’ve been wondering the same thing, what happened to this update? If it’s still happening it seems odd to keep delaying such an update, it’s not like it’s adding some big new feature with it right?
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I was wondering what happened to this and it seems like almost everyone forgot about it.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    So I was on Discover University's page on Origin and got a pop-up notification that says "Minimum requirements have been updated. Please check below for more details." To my surprise, unlike a few previous expansions, Discover University does not require a 64-bit OS to play it, and it also supports some very old OSs like Windows XP (18 year old) and Windows Vista (12 year old).

I then checked the minimum requirements for a few previously 64-bit only packs like Cats & Dogs. Apparently they also no longer require 64-bit.

Legacy Edition was originally planned for June but was postponed to "later this year." Looks like they're going to continue supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Do you think Legacy Edition is canceled altogether, or is it being delayed to the next year?

They wouldn't delay something that would last for 2 years. They probably cancelled, as the effort of releasing the legacy edition can be put on new content or in Sims 5.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited November 2019
    I have small feeling that they might be trying to push it back few packs
    just because of pack themes they have lined up being very significant to The Sims series

since we basically got Island, Magic and University theme after that announcement

edit: apparently it was time
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    The sims Futuristic pack is generally near the end if not the end of the packs, after seeing robotics in Discover University, I think they might be saving it for Sims 5.

They said in 2018 that there would be content for another 3 years so 2021.

If they do another 2 expansions and 2 game packs next year and announce Sims 5 in like September, then they can have one/two last expansion/game pack in 2021.

Basically the end of Sims 4 could be just over a year away, thats 4-6 more game/expansion packs, what is the point of ending supports for systems now and letting people miss out on some of the best and final packs.

They are being suspiciously quiet about the reason for not ending the support...

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited October 2019
    In fact, there is no reason to stop supporting Windows 32-bit.
    Only macOS version need to be updated.

Maybe it's delayed and will be released with TS3 Catalina update in 2020.

@EA_Mai should know the answer.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-and-Feedback/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7629106#M11424
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • akasevenakaseven Posts: 279 Member
    The sims Futuristic pack is generally near the end if not the end of the packs, after seeing robotics in Discover University, I think they might be saving it for Sims 5.

They said in 2018 that there would be content for another 3 years so 2021.

If they do another 2 expansions and 2 game packs next year and announce Sims 5 in like September, then they can have one/two last expansion/game pack in 2021.

Basically the end of Sims 4 could be just over a year away, thats 4-6 more game/expansion packs, what is the point of ending supports for systems now and letting people miss out on some of the best and final packs.

They are being suspiciously quiet about the reason for not ending the support...

i really be surprise to see plumbots back, only this year we get 3 occults. maybe the futuristic theme be more time travel theme, go to the past and the future.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    There is much more to it than what eyes are seeing and what the ears are hearing and I believe it may in combination to other rumors that there was an huge uproar as some feel being dedicated simmers are now told the game you brought will not be updated until you update your equipment and I believe that did not go over well regardless of the people are more than capable of playing going forward. @ this point I do not care about Sims 4 being for me it is an diminished program.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    University is the last “traditional” expansion pack, and the last pack this year, so I think they will likely roll out that update the beginning of next year.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Looks like the minimum requirements have been changed for Discover University. Now it requires a 64-bit OS, as well as at least 4GB RAM instead of 2GB. As for Macs, Metal is now required (El Capitan or higher).

Legacy Edition is indeed coming alongside with the next patch after all.

I'd say they're definitely committed to making more content for TS4 for years to come. Otherwise they wouldn't change the minimum requirements this late in the game's lifespan.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited October 2019
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    Looks like the minimum requirements have been changed for Discover University. Now it requires a 64-bit OS, as well as at least 4GB RAM instead of 2GB. As for Macs, Metal is now required (El Capitan or higher).

Legacy Edition is indeed coming alongside with the next patch after all.

I'd say they're definitely committed to making more content for TS4 for years to come. Otherwise they wouldn't change the minimum requirements this late in the game's lifespan.

I was really confused as well as I saw that it would require metal.

I wonder if they’re delaying the 32 bit removal though (or cancelling that aspect) because surely if they were releasing Uni for 64 bit only they would have said something about it, so people on 32bit didn’t pre order by mistake.

I reckon they’ll release a Legacy edition for non-Metal macs but keep 32bit players active and just say they may have gameplay issues like they have since C&D.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I was actually hoping that the Legacy Edition would make way for better packs with the 64-bit requirement. I guess they thought to squeeze in more sales from the most requested packs, Island, magic and uni.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    In fact, there is no reason to stop supporting Windows 32-bit.
    Only macOS version need to be updated.

Maybe it's delayed and will be released with TS3 Catalina update in 2020.

@EA_Mai should know the answer.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-and-Feedback/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7629106#M11424

There are plenty of reasons. It’s time to move on and upgrade, 32-bit is old and outdated.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

edited November 2019
    ... and ignore the poor players who can't purchase a 64-bit computer.
    I'm not sure if they are enough to influence this choice.

We should get the answer soon, only 2 months left in 2019.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

That’s how business works. And most computers made in the last few years are 64bit. So either way you’ll have to upgrade eventually as support is dropped for 32-bit across the board.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member

Technology has a funny way of advancing as time goes on. Its never stagnant and you cant expect it to. Probably in <10 years 64-bit will be considered obsolete and we'll be moving on to 128-bit or whatever.
    Probably in <10 years 64-bit will be considered obsolete and we'll be moving on to 128-bit or whatever.

Definitely not. 64-bit is overkill for what we need, both now and in the foreseeable future.

2^32 bits = 4 GB
    2^64 bits = 17,179,869,184 GB

We moved from 32-bit to 64-bit because 4GB memory simply isn't enough. It will be a long, long, long time before 17 billion GB memory isn't enough.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    edited November 2019
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    Probably in <10 years 64-bit will be considered obsolete and we'll be moving on to 128-bit or whatever.

Definitely not. 64-bit is overkill for what we need, both now and in the foreseeable future.

2^32 bits = 4 GB
    2^64 bits = 17,179,869,184 GB

We moved from 32-bit to 64-bit because 4GB memory simply isn't enough. It will be a long, long, long time before 17 billion GB memory isn't enough.

Yes, it's not in a near future.

40 years ago , the computers had 4 KB of memory, now we need 1,000,000 times more.
    Maybe the future AI / androids will need a ton of memory, 17 exabytes won't be enough.

Yes, it's not in a near future.

40 years ago , the computers had 4 KB of memory, now we need 1,000,000 times more.
    Maybe the future AI / androids will need a ton of memory, 17 exabytes won't be enough.

Keep in mind that the increase has been slowing down in the last decade or so.

Even if we need more than 17 EB, there is no telling that we could viably make this much memory in a consumer computing device. There’s a physical limitation involved. We’re able to make higher density DRAM chips by shrinking down the process node (the latest memory modules are made on 10-nanometer class processes), but you could only shrink it so small.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited November 2019
    I just checked Origin and it says 64bit required for PCs, nothing about 32bit. An older less powerful laptop of mine has given up working after Island Living. It had enough RAM and SSD but the Video card wasn't powerful enough and it crashed on startup when I loaded the last two EPs. You might buy Discover University and find it won't run.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think they are going to leave it 32 bit, and come out with the sims 5 around 2021 and have it be 64 bit.
    I hope my laptop lasts for another year or so. An Intel rep in a superstore told me that Intel are hoping to rival NVidia some time in near future. I'm not sure how they are going to do it though. It would make things much simpler not to have the two to choose from when gaming or otherwise.
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2019/11/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-discover-university-expansion-pack/

"For PC, a 64 bit operation system will now be a requirement. Since Cats & Dogs the requirements do list 64 bit already but in reality it was still possible to play the expansions on 32 bit as well (unsupported). For the upcoming packs this will no longer be the case. If you don’t have a 64 bit operating system, the pack will not run. If you already preordered the pack, I suggest to cancel that or consider an upgrade to 64 bit. All information can be found here: Maxis drops support for 32 bit operating systems and Non-Metal Mac OS machines"