Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Time Lord Challenge (Updated November 2021)

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    This was a nice surprise.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    Still not a ginger... ;)
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
    Just throwing this out and hoping some can provide feedback--

I'm thinking of tweaking the traits rule. Basically, with each regeneration, you will choose 2 new traits not used previously, and 1 old trait that was used previously.

With this setup, each incarnation will at least have 1 trait from previous Time Lords.

One thing I've noticed in my multiple playthroughs is that some combinations of traits are boring. This usually happens in the middle of the challenge where the fun traits are used early on. Having at least one trait for older traits would prevent this boring combination.

I'm currently testing this change with the Parenthood game pack.
    More changes planned ahead.

I am now thinking of expanding the challenge from 11 incarnations to 12 incarnations, giving players a total of 13 Time Lords/Ladies. On the 13th Incarnation, players will be given time to wrap up any unfinished aspirations or collections.

Also, I am planning to allow switching aspirations, but ONLY to previously unfinished aspirations.

I'm starting to enjoy the challenge again now that I have these rule change in mind. If all goes well, I will update the rules and the spreadsheet.
    JANUARY 2017 RULE SET:

[rules updated Jan 23, 2017]

ljlNHak.png

The purpose of this challenge is two-fold: fandom and variety. For fans, this is a great opportunity to roleplay as a Time Lord. For non-fans, this is a challenge that forces you to use 36 traits on one Sim that will change appearance yet still keep their skills, reward traits, relationships and aspiration points.

Time Lords are a time-traveling race in the Doctor Who universe (click here to learn more). When they are mortally wounded or in the brink of death, a Time Lord can “regenerate” to cheat death.

In Sims 4, you will regenerate at the moment of aging rather than death. There is a limit to this regeneration. In the Doctor Who universe, the limit is twelve. For this challenge, the limit is eleven regenerations, totaling twelve Time Lords with differing personalities each.

MPh3HOe.png

CREATE-A-TIME-LORD
    Create a new game, then design your Time Lord. They can be any gender, color, voice and walk. However, they cannot be a special type of sim (ghost, alien, vampire, etc.).

Their age must be set to Adult. You cannot choose any other age. If you want to roleplay as an Elder, change their hair to gray and add wrinkles in “Skin Details”.

Next, choose their traits. Choose wisely as these traits cannot be used again in the future. Next, choose any aspiration except for Fabulously Wealthy. During the course of the challenge, you cannot change a chosen aspiration. The only time you can change aspiration is when you are regenerating (more on that later).

To name your Time Lord, think of a profession, a title, an object or anything. Whatever you choose will be their Last Name. For example, if you chose engineer, then their last name is “Engineer”. If you are having a hard time thinking of a Last Name, go to http://timelord.namegeneratorfun.com

Now that you have your Time Lord’s Last Name, set the first name as “First”. With the example above, your Time Lord’s name should be “First Engineer".

Click the Game Settings, and modify the settings as follows:
    • Auto Age (Played Sims): Active Household Only
    • Auto Age (Unplayed Sims): Checked
    • Sim Lifespan: Normal
    Once done, save your First Time Lord in your Gallery and click Play.

THE TARDIS
    In the Doctor Who universe, the TARDIS is a vehicle that travels through time and space. It stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. It is a box that’s smaller outside but bigger in the inside (click here for a video explanation).

You must move your Time Lord in a 50 x 50 lot or larger. If the lot is occupied, you must evict and bulldoze it. This will be your Time Lord’s permanent lot, which means they cannot move out from it.

Since your Time Lord is using their knowledge of Transdimensional Engineering, you can use money cheats (kaching, rosebud and motherlode) and lot modifications (bb.moveobjects on and bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement). For a harder challenge, you can opt out of these cheats.

Build your TARDIS underground. The TARDIS will be your home, and it should contain all rooms, necessities and luxuries. You can only have one access point to your TARDIS, meaning you can only have one doorway leading underground--just like a bunker.

You can disguise the access point to your TARDIS. It can be the traditional “blue box”, a home, a diner or anything. The only limit is your imagination, so go wild!

If building is not your strong-suit, you can download the "Abandoned TARDIS" in The Gallery. Simply search for "Abandoned TARDIS" and place it in a 50 x 50 or larger lot. You can also download other simmer's TARDIS, but you must delete any collectibles included.

OBJECTIVES
    You have three objectives to complete: skills, collections and aspirations.

Your Time Lord must master 19 skills and complete 6 types of collections. You must keep the collectibles on your lot, not in the household inventory. You can put them on display or stash them in a room. Any duplicate or extra collectibles can be sold to avoid clutter.

Your Time Lord must complete Level 3 or Level 4 of their chosen aspiration.

During the course of the challenge, you cannot change aspiration. The only time you can change aspiration is when your Time Lord is undergoing regeneration (more on that later). However, you are allowed to work strategically on skills and objectives related to future aspiration.

REWARD STORE RESTRICTIONS
    During the course of the challenge, you will gain a lot of aspiration points. However, you are limited at what you can buy and when you can buy them.

Youth potions and reward traits are strictly limited to the regeneration process. You cannot buy these except in regeneration.

All other potions are purchasable at any time.

REGENERATION
    In the Doctor Who universe, a Time Lord regenerates when they are mortally wounded or in the brink of death. (click here to learn more)

If you have three to zero days remaining as an Adult, you must begin the regeneration process. There will be a notification for your birthday to remind you so don't forget!

Only youth potions are allowed to reset their age. No Essence of Life (from Cowplant) and no Ambrosia (from cooking). If an expansion/game/stuff pack has an item or activity that resets your Time Lord’s age, you cannot use that item or activity.

If you do not have enough points to purchase a Youth Potion, open the cheat console by pressing and holding CTRL-SHIFT-C. In the console, type in testingcheats on and then type sims.give_satisfaction_points 1500.

Once done, follow these steps for the regeneration process:
    1. Buy and drink the Youth Potion from the Rewards Store.
    2. Buy one Reward Store Trait. You can skip this step if you want to save Aspiration points for the next regeneration.
    3. Open the cheat console. To do this, press and hold CTRL-SHIFT-C.
    4. Type in testingcheats on
    5. Type in cas.fulleditmode
    6. Hold SHIFT, LEFT-CLICK your Time Lord and then CLICK "Modify in CAS"
    7. WARNING! If you changed your Time Lord’s age in CAS, all reward traits and purchased traits will be deleted. If you accidentally switched their age in CAS, cancel the edit and return to Step 3.
    8. In Create-A-Sim, randomize the look of your Time Lord. You are allowed to tweak their appearance, voice, gender and walk. They should not look like previous Time Lords.
    9. Change their first name to the next number. For example, if you are changing the “First”, then you must change their name to “Second”.
    10. Pick three new traits and a new aspiration for your Time Lord. You cannot reuse previously picked traits and aspirations from past Time Lords. To keep track of what you had picked, download this sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bqdZr10NQN5TLwD1HoL9_XprrwM6qcRE3_RNQpy4Kfg/edit?usp=sharing or this text file: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Uml7LDhHL9kobP9nT7p7rcp6xA9X_p_61zdivlLmpI/edit?usp=sharing
    11. NOTE: At the Twelfth Time Lord, if the remaining traits are conflicting, such as having Good and Evil traits remaining, then you are allowed to choose one trait from the First or Second Time Lord.
    12. Save the Time Lord in your Gallery. If you want to share, add the hashtag #timelordchallenge.
    13. Press Done

SCORING
    Total maximum score for the whole challenge is 36 points. The scoring revolves around Aspirations, Skills and Collections.

Collections (12 Points)
    • 2 Points for each completed Collection. Limit to 12 points.
    • Seasonal Collections (e.g. Easter Eggs) do not qualify and will not be scored.
    Aspirations (12 Points)
    • 1 point for each Aspiration with Level 3 or Level 4 complete. Since you will go through 12 Time Lords, the limit for this score is 12.
    Skills (12 Points)
    • 1 Point for 8 Skills maxed
    • 2 Points for 9 Skills maxed
    • 3 Points for 10 Skills maxed
    • 4 Points for 11 Skills maxed
    • 5 Points for 12 Skills maxed
    • 6 Points for 13 Skills maxed
    • 7 Points for 14 Skills maxed
    • 8 Points for 15 Skills maxed
    • 9 Points for 16 Skills maxed
    • 10 Points for 17 Skills maxed
    • 11 Points for 18 Skills maxed
    • 12 Points for 19 or more Skills maxed
    • Skills that has 10 levels qualify for points. Anything less are not counted.
    Bonus Points
    • 1 Bonus Point for each Scenarios completed
    • 1 Bonus Point for having a painting of each of your Time Lords
    • 1 Bonus Point for completing 650 whims
    • 1 Bonus Point for maintaining a lot value of 500,000 simoleons
    • These points are supplementary. Bonus points cannot be used if your score is already at maximum.
    Penalty
    • Minus 1 Point for each Potion of Youth purchased with sims.give_satisfaction_points cheat.

henIHQI.png

COMPANIONS
    Having a companion is not a requirement, but they enliven the challenge and keep your Time Lord company. They can be any age and any type of relationship status except as enemy. If a relationship diminishes to negative, you must move that companion out.

There are two ways to gain a companion: you can befriend them and ask them to move in, or you can add them in your household via “Manage Household.” If that sim has a family or roommates, you have the option to bring them in or leave them out.

Since your companions are normal sims, they do not follow the reward store restrictions. They can purchase traits and potions at any time. However, they cannot purchase Youth Potions for themselves or for your Time Lord.

Children can be born or adopted in the household. The parents can either be your Time Lord or companions. The children are considered companions and therefore cannot regenerate.

Companions can be moved out from your TARDIS at any time. To do this, go to Manage Worlds and click Household Management. From there, click "Transfer Sims between households," create a new household and move out your companions. You are allowed to use the cheat freerealestate on to place them in an empty or vacant lot of your choosing.

EXPANDING UNIVERSE
    You can play other households within the universe of your Time Lord. They can be your past companions, created sims or downloaded sims from The Gallery.

To switch households, go to Options Menu and click Manage Worlds. It is advised that when switching households, do it when your current household is not at work or school. This way, when you return to it, your sim will not be out from work or school, which negatively affects their performance.

Companions that were moved out from your Time Lord’s household can continue their story. They can start a legacy or face new challenges and adventures. It is entirely up to you. Your Time Lord can visit and remain in contact with their past companions.

From The Gallery, you can add Sims that are historical figures or futuristic people. Move them in their era-specific lot. Don't forget to credit the Sim Modelist! These Sims can also be Played as a household.

Also from The Gallery, you can download historical and futuristic lot to simulate time travel. Place them in your neighborhood and make sure to assign a lot type. Don't forget to credit the Sim Architect! To start, here are some useful hashtags: #alien #future #wildwest #desert #gothic #medieval #asian #greek #prehistoric.

When playing other households, do not accept a birthday party invite from your Time Lord. Doing so would risk aging your Time Lord.

When interacting with your Time Lord, you cannot alter or change their status (i.e. change them into a vampire or manipulate their look).

If your Time Lord accidentally dies while playing another household, you can revert to a previous save file. Also, you can recover your Time Lord from The Gallery. This recovered Time Lord will retain all reward traits and skills, but will lose any progress made since the regeneration.

SCENARIOS
    Scenarios are optional mini-challenges that further expand the universe. Most of them are inspired by existing challenges in the Stories and Legacies section, and also some Doctor Who episodes. Each scenario has a specific theme, era, characters and goals.

You can switch anytime from a Scenario to your Time Lord, and vice-versa. Since Scenarios are household specific, you can have multiple Scenarios in your universe.

Completing a Scenario will give your Main Time Lord one bonus point, and there are no limits on how many scenarios you can complete.

Below are links for each Scenario:
    INFINITE POTENTIAL
    When you finish the challenge, you can still continue beyond your Twelfth Time Lord.

If you decide to extend your play, all traits will be open for use again. However, you should still adhere to the rule of using traits only once, or you could randomize the traits every regeneration.

The extended play will not be scored, but it is an opportunity for further roleplaying and completing all aspirations, collections, skills and achievements available in the game.

Have fun! Allons-y!

FAQ
    Q: Do I need to be a Doctor Who fan to do this challenge?
    A: Nope! You can play this challenge even if you don’t know Doctor Who. I’ve set the challenge to be inviting for non-fans. Even if your story or gameplay is not canon, it is interesting how non-fans interpret the mythos of the Time Lords.

Q: Do I have to keep score?
    A: You don’t have to. You can play the challenge without worrying about collections and skills. But you should still adhere to the regeneration rule since it’s the heart of this challenge.

Q: Can I use mods?
    A: Yes you can, so long as it does not give you an advantage if you are keeping score. If you are not keeping score, you can use any mods so long as you still follow the regeneration rules.

Q: Can I use cheats?
    A: The only cheats allowed are the ones stated in the rules. However, if you are not keeping score, you can use any cheats available in the game so long as you still follow the regeneration rules.

Q: Why is my Time Lord getting tense from a trait he/she doesn’t have?
    A: The game still recognizes the trait your past Time Lord had used. To fix this, purchase the reward trait “Carefree” for 3,000 reward points.

Q: Do I have to finish my TARDIS at the start of the challenge?
    A: Nope. You can expand it as you go on.

Q: My collections suddenly vanished! What happened?!
    A: This occurs when you move out a companion that had contributed to the collection. Not to worry. As the rules state, you should have your collections in your TARDIS so you can drag and drop them in your inventory to reclaim them.

Q: I’m roleplaying with historical and future-looking sims, and they are interacting with one another in a park/library/lounge/etc. What gives?
    A: It’s possible that your Time Lord had accidentally opened a wormhole that allowed differing timelines to interact with one another. That’s one possibility, but you can make your own story on why different eras are clashing with one another.

Q: What is the meaning of life?
    A: Forty-two.

LET’S PLAY CHANNELS
    WnTmlyk.jpg

For anyone curious, here's an older version of the rules:

edited July 2017
    Tracker Copy/Paste:

Time Lords
    First: Trait1,Trait2,Trait3, Aspiration
    Second:
    Third:
    Fourth:
    Fifth:
    Sixth:
    Seventh:
    Eighth:
    Ninth:
    Tenth:
    Eleventh:
    Twelfth:
    Thirteenth:

TRAIT POOL (CUT and PASTE to keep track of what traits remain in the pool)

Active, Ambitious, Art Lover, Bookworm, Bro, Cheerful, Childish, Clumsy, Creative, Dance Machine, Evil, Family Oriented, Foodie, Geek, Genius, Gloomy, Glutton, Good, Goofball, Hates Children, Hot-Headed, Insane, Insider, Jealous, Kleptomaniac, Lazy, Loner, Loves Outdoors, Materialistic, Mean, Music Lover, Neat, Noncommittal, Outgoing, Perfectionist, Romantic, Self-Assured, Slob, Snob, Squeamish, Unflirty, Vegetarian

ASPIRATION POOL (CUT and PASTE to keep track of what aspirations remain in the pool)

Angling Ace, Bestselling Author, Big Happy Family, Body Builder, Chief of Mischief, Computer Whiz, Curator, Freelance Botanist, Friend of the World, Grilled Cheese, Joke Star, Leader of the Pack, Mansion Baron, Master Chef, Master Mixologist, Musical Genius, Nerd Brain, Outdoor Enthusiast, Painter Extraordinaire, Party Animal, Public Enemy, Renaissance Sim, Serial Romantic, Soulmate, Successful Lineage, Super Parent

REMEMBER! Pick two new traits NOT used by past Time Lords. The third trait can be a previously used trait or a new trait.
    Post edited by nastyjman on
    edited July 2017
    Well, the rules "regenerated" once again. Here's the link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/817792/sims-4-time-lord-challenge-updated-july-2017/p1

Changes made are the following:
    • Expanded a total of thirteen Time Lords
    • Allowed switching to incomplete aspirations from past Time Lords
    • Allowed one trait to be a wildcard for each regeneration
    Post edited by nastyjman on
    Update #2
    • Restricted Reward Traits from the aspiration store. You cannot buy these anymore as it made the challenge easy at the middle.

I went back to a previous Time Lord save file where I was on my Sixth incarnation. That Time Lord had the "Never Weary" and "Antiseptic" reward traits, and I feel like the challenge was broken from that point on. Right now, I'm doing another test, and I'm at the Second incarnation without any reward traits except for "Carefree."

I'm going to test the "No reward traits from the aspiration store," but I have updated the rules to reflect that.
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    I like the updates.

We know I follow no rules, but.. LOL. But I do like them. Esp the carrying a trait over. I think that kinda gives you a small hint of the previous time lord in your new one. That's kinda nice :)
    Oh - also noticed for some reason my channel link isn't working anymore... ??
    Here's a link to the playlist for all my Time Lords - it's all The Librarian episodes and I'm adding The Negotiator in there as I complete hers :)

@Spacey72659 I updated the front page with the right link. Didn't know it was broken. :#

I observed something with my past play tests: somehow the following comic also relates with my Time Lords...

wrxZeW5.jpg
    Since Reward Traits are being restricted, you can repair your challenge if you had purchased some of the reward traits. You will need to turn on testingcheats on. Once done, type in this cheat:
    traits.remove_trait {RewardStoreTraitNoSpaces}

So if you need to take off "Never Weary", type in traits.remove_trait NeverWeary
    Over the weekend, I tested out the new rules I've implemented.

I repaired one game where I was in the Sixth incarnation. I took off her "Never Weary" and "Antiseptic" reward traits by using the "traits.remove_trait" cheat. I fell in love with the character again. Somehow, being weak or not having any reward traits give the game flavor. And since you are stuck with the Time Lord for 312 sim days, having these reward traits will make the game boring. I just realized that after I replayed one of my test files.

Companions can still buy reward traits. In my head, the story goes like this: your Time Lord is kind of jealous of sims because they can acquire reward traits as they grow as individuals. However, your Time Lord respects them because despite their growth, the sims face a shorter lifespan compared to them. Lore-wise, it's like the exchange between Wilfred and the Doctor.

ec7a1417373d082c56c0f9e516785673--insects-bbc-tv.jpg

So, reward traits are strictly forbidden except for "Carefree." That one is still needed because of the Tense moodlet from past traits.
    Hi all, just wanted to share a Let's Play I discovered. Here is GamerPenny's The Watchmaker.
    I added the following section under Roleplay:
    TIMEY-WIMEY WIBBLY-WOBBLY
    As a Time Lord, you have control of time (except yours).

Played or Unplayed Sim Households can be aged up with birthday cakes or with cas.fulleditmode in Manage Household. For the sake of roleplay, you should not age down any sim.

At any time, you can change the Game Settings Auto Aging Unplayed Sims to check or unchecked. However, Auto Aging Played Sims must always be Active Household Only, and Lifespan as Normal.

If you want a Played Sim Household to age, you must change them to Unplayed and then check Auto Aging Unplayed Sims. To do this, go to Household Management, then click on their plumbob.

If you want an Unplayed Sim Household to stop aging, you can change them to Played by clicking their “Play” button and then exiting back to Manage World.

This pertains to the flow of time in the challenge. I've always wrestled between turning aging on and off for the unplayed sims in my game. I can never decide which is best for the challenge. So I figured that this should be a roleplay element and that auto aging unplayed sims should be in the hands of the player.

Alrighty, I think I'm finished with the minor tweaks and adjustments to the rules. Maybe next year, after a couple of game packs and expansions packs, I will revisit the rules and make adjustments as I see fit. Until then...

Allons-y!
    I'm going to try SimLit again. Let's see how it goes. For now, I'm going to write and screencap just for fun as I go through the challenge. I have some story arcs that I've outlined, but I'm open with what my Time Lord will bring.

Here's the link for The Accountant!
    Preparing myself on how to write my SimLit. Last night, I was roleplaying by time traveling to the Old West and visiting a saloon. Then someone comes in wearing a modern t-shirt...

To fix that, I will need to set up these Time Travel spots as Residential and add a Household with attire fit to that era. Public areas will be treated as occurring in the time line.
    Just out of curiosity, when it comes time for your Time Lord to regenerate, has anyone just used the randomize buttons to let the game determine how your TL looks and their traits? I've been considering this but I wondered if anyone had tried this first. I tend to make all my sims pretty, so randomizing might cure that problem, but, at the same time, I don't want any ugly TLs.
    I do. But if the first one is ugly, I hit the randomizer again and again until I find someone better.
    I randomize until I get a base I can work with - they are usually always good looking to me, but they look different. I just have to get a base where I can "see" the character inside... if that makes sense.
    Cool. Thanks for answering.
    I remember one Simmer who was planning to use tattoos as their unique identifier. Whenever they regenerate, the tattoo changes on them.

They'd roleplay as The Corsair (http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair).
    New episode for my Time Lord!

Episode 3 - Forward

07-30-17_11-15-00%25C2%25A0PM.png

I'm actually enjoying writing the Accountant's story. I still play the challenge as normal, but there are moments where inspiration just hits and a story plays in my head. That's when I go to my "Storyteller" save file, where I control my Sim Actors to do a scene for me.

I've also outlined some story arcs for my Time Lord and his companions, which is exciting for me.
    I randomize until I get a base I can work with - they are usually always good looking to me, but they look different. I just have to get a base where I can "see" the character inside... if that makes sense.

@Spacey72659 I have been watching your videos of "Murder Most Misfortunate". It does seem like a kind of cartoon play. Is it just me, or do you want to recreate these characters as sims and place them in some old, haunted mansion and play out the murder?
    Not sure if I'm alone in this, but does anyone get very sad when their companion is nearing death because of old age? :'(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top