Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Imagine if The Sims 4 had graphics like this...

1235...Next

Comments

• BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    If the graphics ever looked like that, I wouldn't be able to play the series anymore because there's no way in heck I'm spending enough money to get a PC that can play that properly. lol
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    So I found this picture in the my sims vision thread, now if sims and the world looked like this..I could get behind those kind of graphics. I don't find ultra realistic but still very nice. rachel_fox___portrait_by_torqual3d-d5l6glc.jpg[img][/img]
    It's odd for me, because models like these would look perfect in mmo games, but for me, personally, i'd feel.. odd looking at them if they were in a Sims game. You know what I like about the Sims series, they're not only unique in gameplay, but in looks aswell. Minecraft is, well, blocky, but it's doing amazing because the gameplay keeps people entertained for hours.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a person who fangirls about extremely beautiful graphics, but i'd feel weird playing a Sims game if it were too realistic. I like how my sims in Sims 4 (and all the others) look different from other games. That's just personal preference though! :blush:

I think this is the problem when it comes to the sims game..we are to scared to push the limits with this game and prefer to stay in our comfort zones. The only way a game can grow and improve is if we past certain boundries and think outside the box. This is sims 4, the older games shouldn't out shine this game..this game should have been the biggest improvement of all..not with just better graphics but with better game play, ideas and such.
    giphy.gif

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    So I found this picture in the my sims vision thread, now if sims and the world looked like this..I could get behind those kind of graphics. I don't find ultra realistic but still very nice. rachel_fox___portrait_by_torqual3d-d5l6glc.jpg[img][/img]
    It's odd for me, because models like these would look perfect in mmo games, but for me, personally, i'd feel.. odd looking at them if they were in a Sims game. You know what I like about the Sims series, they're not only unique in gameplay, but in looks aswell. Minecraft is, well, blocky, but it's doing amazing because the gameplay keeps people entertained for hours.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a person who fangirls about extremely beautiful graphics, but i'd feel weird playing a Sims game if it were too realistic. I like how my sims in Sims 4 (and all the others) look different from other games. That's just personal preference though! :blush:

I think this is the problem when it comes to the sims game..we are to scared to push the limits with this game and prefer to stay in our comfort zones. The only way a game can grow and improve is if we past certain boundries and think outside the box. This is sims 4, the older games shouldn't out shine this game..this game should have been the biggest improvement of all..not with just better graphics but with better game play, ideas and such.

Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    I would be dissatisfied if the game looked like Sims 3. The Sims themselves look bad, to my taste, and while the screenshots of scenery can be beautiful, the game in action isnt, in my opinion.

They are two different stylistic choices. Different people will prefer different ones. That doesn't make either lazy or regressive.

There are improvements to be made, to be certain, but the actual concept is just as valid.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Just imagine those realistic models doing the "have to pee" walk, though.

There's a reason The Sims has never had cutting-edge realism graphics-wise, and it's not just in an attempt to market to people worth low-end computers.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »

There's a reason The Sims has never had cutting-edge realism graphics-wise, and it's not just in an attempt to market to people worth low-end computers.
    That's a great explanation. Thank you for showing how well cartoonish works!
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited November 2015
    InfraGreen wrote: »

That's a great explanation. Thank you for showing how well cartoonish works!
    But even cartoonish can be overdone and I personally think in Sims 4, it is.

Speaking of which, I watched Toy Story and Toy Story 2 last night. The characters Andy and Sid reminded me of Sims 4. In my mind, I was thinking they look just like sims in 4. Now, I love Pixar, but those movies are from 1995 and 1999, respectively. Even Pixar has improved since then.

I'm sorry, but a 2014 video game should not be reminiscent of cartoons animated in the 90s. Heck, Sims 4 looks like it should've been a television cartoon instead of a PC game.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • ohhmystarrsohhmystarrs Posts: 52 Member
    Would be amazing. And I would also like to say, POKEMON with those graphics would be so so so so so wonderful.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    We already had the best graphics in the series with the sims 3.

Screenshot-716.jpg

Screenshot-7720.jpg

Screenshot-7727.jpg

We will never see Maxis attempt this again. Not with the low texture cartoon graphics for the sims 4.

Hey, I recognize these pics :p

To be fair though, those are slightly edited so they're not a 100% accurate representation of Sims 3, though it's still a pretty good representation, shadows and highlights were adjusted just a bit.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Anyway I think Sims 3 pretty much nails it. They could be polished up a bit for the future. But it's fairly realistic but not overly so, and if you're not opposed to CC you can use CC to make it less or more realistic depending which you prefer so it can cater to a larger group because neither style looks horribly out of place in it. Like people try to make Sims 4 more realistic and it looks so very wrong and nightmare inducing.

I do favour a more realistic style but I don't think I want to go as far as those tomb raider shots do that might be a tad much even for me. But I do like so much that I can play with both a realistic and cartoon style in TS3, I do have some games that do have a more cartoon like style so I do use both. So I'm just one happy camper with sims 3 style, and would be glad if they went back to that and just polished it up a bit.

Plus yeah, I have a 1200 dollar laptop, it's very nice and I'm pretty sure those graphics would fry it if I played on high which I bought a 1200 dollar (well it cost me less I got very lucky stacking sales on it) laptop to be able to do. I'd rather have a less demanding graphics style and run it on high than a more demanding one that I can't even enjoy. I don't really believe in simplifying the games too much to cater to people who can't/won't get a better computer. Like if you're stuck on a weaker system for whatever reason sorry life's not fair you might just have to play on lower settings (coming from somebody who's had to be there before... I just accepted it for what it was). But I feel like considering how the games are expanded and stuff people would be lucky to play that base game only on low settings on a weaker system... probably no EP's or anything. That's a bit ridiculous.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Would be amazing. And I would also like to say, POKEMON with those graphics would be so so so so so wonderful.
    The main Pokemon game series is for the 3DS system. I don't think Pokemon could manage those graphics.

Plus, unlike Sims, pokemon are fictional creatures. Obviously, sims are fictional, but they're meant to be human. Pokemon aren't.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I thought TS4 was going to be using TS3 graphics as a starting point and improving on that in both the environment, sims and overall textures. In fact what I can achieve with CC now is similar to what I've expected for TS4 sims. Such as:

fdytyd.jpg
    rkd6wp.jpg
    2hgsg1x.jpg
    j94o5t.jpg

The difference between the newest and the last generation is that TS4 downgraded and TS3 advanced. One gameplay mechanic to point out is that both TS and TS2 are based on one lot at a time and whenever players wanted to leave would face a loading screen. TS3 gave the most freedom in any sims game to date. The only load times are in the beginning when loading the hometown and additional for any vacations, moving to a new world or heading out to University. The difference is that TS3 has the largest playing field without any loading screen. TS4 basically ignores TS3 ever existed and proceeds to pick up, in some ways, from TS2. It's like TS, TS2, TS4, TS3. But babies are objects and toddlers do not exist so it's really like: TS, TS4, TS2, TS3. At least to me anyway according to main features.

Here are some pictures I've taken. No Photoshop or any other program and no lighting mods although some custom worlds have their own custom .ini files.

oj4bgz.jpg
    dgqiqx.jpg
    aoklg2.jpg
    30c7i4k.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • TheDreamyWriterTheDreamyWriter Posts: 42 Member
    I really really love the graphics of the sims 4
    Youtube : here
    Facebook : here
    Twitter : here
    Machinima : here
  • 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    This was bumped, but I wanna say that I don't think The Sims 4 or any Sims game would suit these graphics.

I've played the new Tomb Raider now that it's been released and those graphics are definitely set for realistic games based on realistic ideals and situations. Whilst the Sims have some realism like owning a home, having a family and all that "real life" stuff, these graphics would not suit it. We have ghosts, we can woohoo with ghosts, we have aliens and we can have alien babies. Sims burp, Sims fart and Sims are generally, a play on life itself. They're better suited to the styles that they have all been released with previously and presently. In my opinion, anyway.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • AstralSims777AstralSims777 Posts: 86 Member
    not bad :)
    ✦✿ My Youtube Channel ✿✦
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for the friendly bump :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg