Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruRachel is back.

Comments

• Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Cool. Good for her
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The toddler lady, right?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    edited January 2022
    She's a SVP for EA Positive play. She's been back since 2020.

Rachel Rubin Franklin has come full circle. She worked on Electronic Arts’ The Sims 4 franchise for years, leaving for Facebook to run social VR. Now she has rejoined EA as the senior vice president of Positive Play.

It may sound like a vague job compared to running a studio, but the Positive Play task is an important one for EA, and Franklin believes it is essential to creating strong communities around EA’s games. She will lead a group that will execute EA’s strategy for Positive Play, and she will partner with workers all over the company to ensure that they integrate its principles into the core of EA’s business.

EA published its Positive Play Charter in June and rolled out regulations across the company. It has begun integrating reporting functions in all of its games, so players can notify EA when something has gone wrong. It added messaging for zero tolerance for hate speech in all major games launched this year (Madden 21, UFC 4, FIFA 21, NHL 21, and Star Wars: Squadrons).

Franklin’s hire will build on this. She can further develop a player council that EA created to help figure out the right guidelines and tools to combat these problems. EA is a member of the Fair Play Alliance, and it has escalation policies to deal with online harm. It also provides training for teams working directly in online communities. Franklin will report to Chris Bruzzo, the executive vice president for marketing, commercial, and Positive Play.

October 23, 2020

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/23/rachel-rubin-franklin-leaves-facebook-to-work-on-eas-positive-play-push/

https://www.ea.com/commitments/positive-play
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited January 2022
    Deleted
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Who is she?
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Who is she?

The one thing I remember her for is the very cringeworthy stage appearance when she said 'let's turn this press conference into a party...'
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I read things about her regarding toddlers, I'm not sure how I feel about her being back if what I read is true.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I'm glad she's back. Did the aliens get her?
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Idk who she is aside from she used to be employed then left and now she’s back apparently. She does not appear to be well-liked on the forum.

This positive play thing sounds kinda flimsy to me, I don’t truly understand the need but hey, sure, why not.

Let’s see how it goes.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    You may remember her as the announcer from this infamous Sims 4 teaser presentation video.
    She enthused over "smarter sims" and a revolutionary emotion system. Looking back at this, I think she committed fraud! /jokes
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    I'm glad she's back. Did the aliens get her?

She left for a position at Facebook.

Rachel Rubin Franklin is the head of social VR at Facebook. With more than 20 years of experience in launching interactive entertainment products, she’s an expert in leading engineering teams and building brands. Before joining Facebook, she served as an executive producer and general manager at Electronic Arts, where she led The Sims 4—one of the most successful PC games of all time. Prior to that, she was the cofounder and president of Moonstone Interactive, a lucrative website design and online marketing firm, and worked with clients such as the Academy of Art University, San Francisco; IBM; Adobe Systems; Microsoft; Nickelodeon; and the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, among many others. She holds a BS in applied mathematics and computer science from Carnegie Mellon University.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Yikes. Can't lie. She gained infamy in the early years of Sims 4, as @simmerorigin said, that notorious video raving on about emotions when what she really meant was all the sims sound and behave exactly the same and we're removing your open world and any customisation.
    Nothing about this announcement excites me.
  • Options
    PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    Heaven help us!
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    What's with her and toddlers? Just curious.
  • Options
    I'm glad she's back at EA. I'm always thrilled to see smart, competent women in leadership positions. Especially in an industry traditionally dominated by men.

• Options
    What's with her and toddlers? Just curious.

Interview with Rachel on why toddlers were not included at launch.

The fact is, we owe you a clearer explanation for why pools and toddlers will not be in The Sims 4 at launch, so here goes.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/whats-out-and-whats-in
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I really disliked her back when the game launched because I blamed her for not having toddlers.

When we finally got toddlers plus the Parenthood pack, I was quite pleased with the result; better than any Sims game has done it before, as far as I'm concerned. So now I'm grateful that we had to wait so that we could get what we did.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I'm glad she's back at EA. I'm always thrilled to see smart, competent women in leadership positions. Especially in an industry traditionally dominated by men.

In general I also like to see smart and competent women proving women can do the same job as men. But after reading the article you linked where she defends cutting basics from previous versions of the game in favour of the overpowering emotions, I am not sure if this is the right person for the sims 4... The future will tell.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Idk who she is aside from she used to be employed then left and now she’s back apparently. She does not appear to be well-liked on the forum.

This positive play thing sounds kinda flimsy to me, I don’t truly understand the need but hey, sure, why not.

Let’s see how it goes.

At Electronic Arts, we believe in the power of positive play. So today, we are proud to introduce the Positive Play Charter - an updated set of community guidelines with clear consequences for players who
    engage in racist, sexist, ho-mo-pho-bic, and abusive acts in our games and channels.
    If we see someone being offensive or abusive, we’re going to hold them responsible for their actions.
  • Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    Based on what other people are saying on this thread, I don't know if I'm happy about this or not. It sounds like she limits some of the things in the game, and I really don't like censorship. However, I've never heard of her before this, so hopefully she isn't as bad as people are making her out to be. Maybe she'll add some cool things to the game?
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I agree with this 100%, I don’t have any feelings about her one way or another. I didn’t come to the game until October of 2015, and she left in 2016 before I was really even sure what a SimGuru was let alone who they were individually. It doesn’t seem she’s going to be involved with game development. Whether that’s for better or worse. Thinking back on the timeline though, we did get some good content when she was there. Even if base game was pretty hollow to start out.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited January 2022
    talongirl6 wrote: »
    Based on what other people are saying on this thread, I don't know if I'm happy about this or not. It sounds like she limits some of the things in the game, and I really don't like censorship. However, I've never heard of her before this, so hopefully she isn't as bad as people are making her out to be. Maybe she'll add some cool things to the game?

From what SmGirl1010 posted she’s working on the community engagement side for all of EA, and not game development at Maxis for The Sims this time. So it seems if she has anything at all to do with TS4 it would be these forums, the official Twitter account, the Facebook page, Instagram, Twitch, etc.
  • Options
    talongirl6 wrote: »

From what SmGirl1010 posted she’s working on the community engagement side for all of EA, and not game development at Maxis for The Sims this time. So it seems if she has anything at all to do with TS4 it would be these forums, the official Twitter account, the
    Facebook page, Instagram, Twitch, etc.

Exactly. No need to panic. 😄