Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whims

This discussion was created from comments split from: Customizable Pronouns First Look.

Comments

• Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited January 2022
    I personally have no use for this; but it's free and can choose to use it or not. I am more concerned about the game play though (need a more proper story progression, and an attraction system. Romance in general needs an overhaul as there isn't even couple slow dancing, etc....hadn't even gotten new whims in a really long time).
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    ...hadn't even gotten new whims in a really long time).

Doubt that will ever change. Whims are now hidden by default and have been for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if most people who are still playing TS4 don't even know what they are.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Wants have always been part of the series. It's so lame that they abandoned the core of what made the sims the sims. Like...ok, this is great, but can we like get actual gameplay at some point? This game is still so lacking and it has more years on every previous sims game.

Where's the second third and fourth teams?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    ...hadn't even gotten new whims in a really long time).

Doubt that will ever change. Whims are now hidden by default and have been for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if most people who are still playing TS4 don't even know what they are.

It's so disappointing. I always use whims and I would love them to be more intuitive and tied in to personalities more.

Same. I wished they created more. Wants/whims were always a part of sims. Yeah customizing can be nice; but there is no point if the game is more about CAS than actual game play.
  • Options
    It's so disappointing. I always use whims and I would love them to be more intuitive and tied in to personalities more.

Same here, and I agree that it is very disappointing how they just sort of decided to forget the feature is even in the game.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member

Same here, and I agree that it is very disappointing how they just sort of decided to forget the feature is even in the game.

Have we ever heard from the gurus as to why they dropped the feature?
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options

I don't recall ever seeing any official comment about it, but I could easily just have missed it. These forums have so many different sections I don't visit regularly.

I do know that a very large portion of the community didn't use them, although the reason for that is more about how poorly they are implemented and how arbitrary they are, rather than that they exist in the first place. But you know, why fix it when you can just hide it completely...I guess.
    I wish they'd have revamped it instead and made it better, taking a page out of TS2's playbook.
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member

I don't recall ever seeing any official comment about it, but I could easily just have missed it. These forums have so many different sections I don't visit regularly.

I do know that a very large portion of the community didn't use them, although the reason for that is more about how poorly they are implemented and how arbitrary they are, rather than that they exist in the first place. But you know, why fix it when you can just hide it completely...I guess.
    I wish they'd have revamped it instead and made it better, taking a page out of TS2's playbook.

Seconded. Whims were a big part in how I played TS3, but 4's were so boring and felt artificial rather than being based on anything my Sim would want. It's a shame they didn't put some care into it.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Hey all,

Splitting this thread to prevent derailing, please feel free to continue discussion here :smile:
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Hey all,

Splitting this thread to prevent derailing, please feel free to continue discussion here :smile:

Thank you for that. I felt bad for going off onto a tangent in the other thread....but I also would have felt bad if someone asking a question was just left hanging with no answer.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thank you for that. I felt bad for going off onto a tangent in the other thread....but I also would have felt bad if someone asking a question was just left hanging with no answer.

Don't feel bad, it was probably my fault for even bringing up in another topics (well not just whims; but game play as a whole. It has just been so frustrating lately with the lack of features that were either ignored now completely or overlooked.

I don't even know why they just stopped with whims. They could of fined tune them instead. I liked them as it game we little goals to complete.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    I would use whims more if they actually were more related to the sim and gameplay. I sort of enjoy them for a while before they get redundant and I turn them off. There’s only so many times I’m going to buy another musical instrument for a sim that already has 3 or send another happy text.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    cyncie wrote: »
    I would use whims more if they actually were more related to the sim and gameplay. I sort of enjoy them for a while before they get redundant and I turn them off. There’s only so many times I’m going to buy another musical instrument for a sim that already has 3 or send another happy text.

Pretty much summarizes how most of us that have played the game from the start felt about them.

TS2 and TS3 did them so much better. I honestly don't remember how TS1 did it, but I feel like there was a system in that game that was better as well. It kind of baffles me how the current team couldn't just take what Maxis learned from those games and done them even better still.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I was glad when we got the option to turn them off because they were so repetitive - buy a pet ball, buy a pet ball, buy a pet ball. I turned them on again about 6 months ago and instead of the pet ball whim I got - buy a bee box, buy a bee box, buy a bee box. The Sims 4 has some nice ideas but the way they are implemented is usually very disappointing and downright annoying.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited January 2022
    In TS2 and TS3 I used wants/whims for matchmaking. Or to feel giddy at my own matchmaking when a pair of friends wanted to flirt with the other. :D I also use them to place them in careers. Those were my favorites but I loved the system overall.

In TS4 the whim to flirt only happens with married couples. Though one time one of my sims wanted to flirt with her husband's cousin as a "friendly interaction." But that was a couple of patch fixes ago. Can't recall if it's still a thing. But yeah, it's a shame that whims have been abandoned.

Edit: Still, I enjoy using the whims to formalize relationships (go steady, engagement and marriage) and to have a baby. Along with the social ones.
    Post edited by lunaoddity on
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I have them turned on but pay attention to them only half the time. If there's a whim I like, I lock it and try to fulfill it, the others I ignore. You only get point for fulfilled whims, there's no need to chase them all.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I adore a whims driven game! But not in TS4.

Well let me re-state that, not in TS4 how they come shipped with the game. Those were beyond lame!

I like whims that are trait based to guide my gameplay for that sim. I use multiple whim mods to enhance them and make them better, now I'm happy to be able to play them again without the redundant buy this, buy that.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    The bee box and swimming pool whims are particularly irritating but I enjoy the ones that are related to a sim's household or personality such as materialistic sims wanting to buy things, or family-oriented sims wanting to have a baby. They can be good for earning more points for rewards. As I said above, I'd love to see whims that work better with individual sims and no silly bee boxes or swimming pool requests.

Sims 2 definitely did them better but I can't remember how they worked in 3.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Yeah, I really miss when Whims had meaning to each individual Sim so they were a way for the Sim to sort of "speak" to the player, telling you what they wanted to do, and they would be different for every Sim you had, based on aspirations and personal tastes and personality. To this day, I still don't understand why they were never updated and instead, abandoned. :(
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Just in case EA wants to read this...

Please make whims/wants that are based on traits.

Please make them appear after your sim engages in an activity so they want to keep doing the activities they enjoy.

Please make it so they want to be friends or enemies with certain sims based on their relationship levels.

And please please please reconsider adding fears into the game. They make sims so much more unique and the sims 2 fears are hilarious.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I was glad when whims got turned off by default. Eventually had a Sim that needed more Satisfaction Points ASAP, and turned them back on.

Go figure.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I think there are already at least a couple of whims that are based on traits, for example, a sim with a hates children trait can get a whim "crush toddler's dreams" and my snob sim often wants to drink nectar (I think I haven't seen that whim with any other trait), BUT of course there aren't that many and I'd love to have more.

I always play with whims on, even though I don't focus on them all the time. I think it's nice that you can lock them and discard the ones you aren't going to do. You couldn't discard them (at least that easily) in TS2 and I kind of prefer this more casual approach. Whims give me ideas what to do in my game and what my sim would like to do and I like it.

I probably do the social whims most, especially with couples I often pay attention to the flirt, kiss, embrace, woohoo etc. whims. I like to fulfill toddlers' whims as well. My sims would be much less likely to get married if there wasn't that get married whim. When I see it I'm like oh, okay, you can get married if you want it that much, and I have done it with couples that I had planned not to marry :sweat_smile: And yeah, sometimes I do whims just because I need satisfaction points. It would be great if the reward traits would have some whims tied to them as well.

I do agree that whims get repetitive and it would indeed help if there were more of them, and the traits and what your sim does would affect them. It could be nice if likes and dislikes generated some whims as well.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I never really played with whims because, like others have said, you can only buy so many bee boxes, etc. Then I found @83bienchen's whims overhaul mod. It helps so much. Her whims and traits overhaul mods are a must for me now.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I'm suddenly remembering the whim to build at least a 1x1 square of pool. I wonder how long it would take to build a decent-sized pool, if you only add 1 square each time the whim pops up...
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports