Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which way is best to play in? 1st person or the traditional mode?

I have played in 1st person mode and the traditional mode and the only reason I see to play in the traditional mode is to see the cc that a sim is wearing. This is important to many simmers because they download tons of hair, shoes, pants, dresses, or just clothing and they like to see that on their sim. I do the same myself. But the best view to me is the 1st person mode where you can't see your sim but the house is there in all of it's detail. The doors, floors, walls, pictures, other sims, and the landscape just seem to come alive in first person that you can't get in traditional mode. Plus navigating in 1st person can be a little tricky to some people and they don't like it as much over traditional mode. Would you be kind enough to relay your opinion on the subject if you don't mind.

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Third-person is best for me in this particular game. I never make or play sim-selves, and also first-person camera makes me ill in some games.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Third-person is best for me in this particular game. I never make or play sim-selves, and also first-person camera makes me ill in some games.

VeeDub I thought that 1st person was a little hard on the eyes for some people. But if EA made it as easy to play as 3rd person would you prefer it then?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Third person works best for gameplay. First person may help a little for picture taking.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Third person. I have several sims, so first-person doesn't work at all for me. I need to see what everyone is doing and to be able to clearly bounce around from sim to sim. I think first person works best in games where the player kind of is the character they're playing, and not in games where you control several. I think the game is gorgeous in third person too - just put the walls up and zoom in a bit.
    VeeDub wrote: »

VeeDub I thought that 1st person was a little hard on the eyes for some people. But if EA made it as easy to play as 3rd person would you prefer it then?

No, I don't find it difficult, but it's unnecessary for my gameplay. I do use it in some instances where I want certain angles for screenshots. But I don't play the game as if I'm playing the sim as a character (as I would in a RPG, for example), so even if I liked this version of 1st-person I wouldn't use it.
    Thank you for you input VeeDub. But I do play my sim as a character and that's primarily why asked asked the members the question about which way was best for them.
    haneul wrote: »
    Third person. I have several sims, so first-person doesn't work at all for me. I need to see what everyone is doing and to be able to clearly bounce around from sim to sim. I think first person works best in games where the player kind of is the character they're playing, and not in games where you control several. I think the game is gorgeous in third person too - just put the walls up and zoom in a bit.

Great point haneul! I normally play a single sim that tries to accrue enough satisfaction points to buy the potion that turns back your age in the rewards menu. But I can see why someone who plays multiple sims simultaneously (whew), would want to play 3rd person. Frankly, even when I have a mate staying with me, I NEVER control them other than to dress them in the morning, or send them to bed at night. However I'm sitting on my keyboard in 1st person, and I can see the ceilings, the DETAIL in the carpet, and wall paintings. Or the little pictures that scroll across the pc monitor as my sim goes on the web. The tile in the bth rm looks like tile up close and not paint. I guess I like opening the doors that I put in my house, and taking the time to learn that the left button is for floors, and the right button is for doors. And I hate coming from a jog and looking into my living room from across the street. Talk about invasion of privacy. LOL. But there is no best way to play in the end. I just wanted to know other members opinion and you've helped me tremendously. Thx.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Darstep0301 your description makes me want to try it someday :)
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Third person works best for gameplay. First person may help a little for picture taking.

crocobaura I forced myself to get accustomed to 1st person because of the cut-away walls. I build my own houses and place all of the furniture in them as if it was my own house (talk about a fantasy nut huh?) And when I come from a jog in 3rd person I can see into my house as if there was no house there. You can't see that well into any other house during your jog as you can with yours. So I said let me try 1st person and Wa-La, no more seeing into my house for me. I can click the right button and go through my front door, and click the left button to tell my sim where to go in-house. ( I made a little rhyme to help me remember " Left (button) for floors and right (button) for doors". Now every detail is before my eyes. Yes it takes a lil' getting used to going from room to room, but once I got the hang of it, 3rd person took a back seat to 1st person. hanuel made a great point in that she said it's not good for her because she plays multiple sims in on house. I only play 1 and that's enough for me. No wife, no kids, maybe a girlfriend for woohoo, and the rest of the time is mine to do what I want living the single life.
    texxx78 wrote: »
    @Darstep0301 your description makes me want to try it someday :)

I know that you would like it texxx78. It's like the sky opened up and the REAL TS4 game down. I did it before but didn't really study it's possibilities. If you are a vet like me you will love when you can't just click the fridge from the back yard and go fix dinner. In 1st person you would have to open the back door, walk into the kitchen, click the fridge and then fix dinner. Or when you have to use the toilet you normally in 3rd person turn your view to the bathroom and click the toilet. In 1st person you have to face the bathroom door, click the door, walk into the bath room and click the toilet. Oh the beauty of it all. It's like REALITY came and I was late to the party.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

crocobaura I forced myself to get accustomed to 1st person because of the cut-away walls. I build my own houses and place all of the furniture in them as if it was my own house (talk about a fantasy nut huh?) And when I come from a jog in 3rd person I can see into my house as if there was no house there. You can't see that well into any other house during your jog as you can with yours. So I said let me try 1st person and Wa-La, no more seeing into my house for me. I can click the right button and go through my front door, and click the left button to tell my sim where to go in-house. ( I made a little rhyme to help me remember " Left (button) for floors and right (button) for doors". Now every detail is before my eyes. Yes it takes a lil' getting used to going from room to room, but once I got the hang of it, 3rd person took a back seat to 1st person. hanuel made a great point in that she said it's not good for her because she plays multiple sims in on house. I only play 1 and that's enough for me. No wife, no kids, maybe a girlfriend for woohoo, and the rest of the time is mine to do what I want living the single life.

That is great, that you enjoy first view. I prefer an eagle eyed view from above and being able to see everything happening on the lot, even when I play just one sim.

That is great, that you enjoy first view. I prefer an eagle eyed view from above and being able to see everything happening on the lot, even when I play just one sim.

3rd person is cool. I played and still play it. In the end there is no best or worst way to play TS4. And that's why I love this game so much. It's so open ended that we may never do everything that's possible to do with it. Thx crocobaura.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I primarily use the 3rd person Sims 3 camera to give me a solid overview of the story in my game, but I often switch to 1st person in order to get myself fully immersed into the adventure.
    Although my sims and I engage in many outdoor activities I will always make sure to design my builds distinctively with 1st person in mind; I’d place many details on walls, floors and around ceilings and set a specific mood with lighting and effects so that the environment looks alive and natural and exciting to walk through. For me each build is like a dark ride.
    I play with one sim, most of the time, although where there are several in a household I have no problem hopping from sim to sim in 1st person.

Not the most popular opinion I’m sure but I find the 1st person feature to be one of the best additions to The Sims 4 as it really adds that extra dimension I need for my personal play style!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited November 2021
    I don't use first person in any games where i can avoid it cause it makes me sick every dang time

sometimes i even get sick from just building and changing view angles too fast

but yeah i do think the sims being watch from above type of game is actually one of the big reasons ive kept playing it all these years

like I'm not here to be a sim i am here to control sims :sunglasses: without getting dizzy or constantly spooked by something jumping at me

+I also like my controls not tied to sims cause itd just be mega annoying to me like old sims console games kinda do that and it already drives me insane in those

also if i want closer look i can just use tab and zoom in a little with walls up

no need to get inside sims head
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Your playstyle is really interesting. :smile: I never even considered playing like that.
    I'm sitting on my keyboard in 1st person, and I can see the ceilings, the DETAIL in the carpet, and wall paintings. Or the little pictures that scroll across the pc monitor as my sim goes on the web. The tile in the bth rm looks like tile up close and not paint.

I wonder if this is a matter of settings. What are your graphics settings because I feel like I see all of this too? I'm a big fan of decorations and detail. I play on a 34in 1440p monitor (but I usually only use 30in or fewer).
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I don't use first person in any games where i can avoid it cause it makes me sick every dang time

sometimes i even get sick from just building and changing view angles too fast

but yeah i do think the sims being watch from above type of game is actually one of the big reasons ive kept playing it all these years

like I'm not here to be a sim i am here to control sims :sunglasses: without getting dizzy or constantly spooked by something jumping at me

+I also like my controls not tied to sims cause itd just be mega annoying to me like old sims console games kinda do that and it already drives me insane in those

also if i want closer look i can just use tab and zoom in a little with walls up

no need to get inside sims head

I gave that answer 3 stars 1for insightful, like and awesome Simmingal. I really loved the "I'm not here to be a sim I'm here to control sims" point you made. And yeah at the end of the day, I'm here to be a sim I guess.
    I primarily use the 3rd person Sims 3 camera to give me a solid overview of the story in my game, but I often switch to 1st person in order to get myself fully immersed into the adventure.
    Although my sims and I engage in many outdoor activities I will always make sure to design my builds distinctively with 1st person in mind; I’d place many details on walls, floors and around ceilings and set a specific mood with lighting and effects so that the environment looks alive and natural and exciting to walk through. For me each build is like a dark ride.
    I play with one sim, most of the time, although where there are several in a household I have no problem hopping from sim to sim in 1st person.

Not the most popular opinion I’m sure but I find the 1st person feature to be one of the best additions to The Sims 4 as it really adds that extra dimension I need for my personal play style!

And here is where we met. That painting that we bought with the 8 rated environment level for 3000 simoleons, or that window or door that we placed on a wall all disappear in 3rd person mode bc of the cut away system. I don't want anything cut away at all. Oh yeah! What about the bath room towel rack or clothes hamper going "poof" bc of the cut-away system on walls built inside the exterior walls. I want to see everything I put there.

And here is where we met. That painting that we bought with the 8 rated environment level for 3000 simoleons, or that window or door that we placed on a wall all disappear in 3rd person mode bc of the cut away system. I don't want anything cut away at all. Oh yeah! What about the bath room towel rack or clothes hamper going "poof" bc of the cut-away system on walls built inside the exterior walls. I want to see everything I put there.

Yeah, I can totally understand that. Even though I don't use 1st-person for gameplay, I do play at times with the walls up just so I can see all muh stuff. :lol:
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I've never once played first person so I can't say what's better really, but I've also never been tempted or interested in it. Like others have said, I don't really play "sim selves" and getting "immersed" isn't really something I'm interested in doing in a game like the sims. Plus, when when I'm playing a challenge I made for myself, or a large household with a lot going on, or any other thing that takes a LOT of switching around & micromanaging, I don't really see how first person would be practical. And, while I don't use any CAS cc in my games these days, I still like to SEE the sims I put so much work into creating, and their cute little animations and such. I often bounce around, looking at the various things happening in the world while my one sim is grinding skills or whatever. The "god's eye view" is kind of part of appeal really. Being confined to one perspective of one sim, even just one at a time, would take a lot of the joy of the game out for me. Why do I need a close up of what it looks like for a sim to brush their teeth or play video games or cook breakfast anyway? I already see that exact kind of thing out of my own eyes every day in my actual life lol.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    I initially thought I might occasionally use first person mode for taking screenshots where its hard to get the camera down to sim-eye level. But then I found out about the up and down controls in tab mode, and I like that much better for screen shots.

When playing, I have no real interest in first person mode. I play with many characters in my stories, and I like to be able to move my view around freely as I control the story.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    I've recently discovered 1st person and I refuse to play any other way now. I love feeling like I am the actual sim, taking in their experience and enjoying the decor of the house.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2021
    I don't even like first person books 😅 I just want to oversee
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    I've recently discovered 1st person and I refuse to play any other way now. I love feeling like I am the actual sim, taking in their experience and enjoying the decor of the house.

Thats how I play and the decor of the house is a main factor why.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I always play Third Person. First Person is better for games such as Minecraft an Roblox,IMO-it just doesn't work for Sims.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    I've tried the first person a couple of times and everytime I got instantly motion sickness. I prefer the third person now in the sims3 camera, I like to have the overview, if I want to see the exact details I'll scroll in.