Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much longer do you think The Sims 4 will last?

Β«13
Just curious to know what you guys think. :)

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    It'll last until I get tired of playing it. Beyond that, I don't really care. :wink:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Incacore_LlamaIncacore_Llama Posts: 22 Member
    The traditional five years cycle has been broken, and not for a lack of reason, can you imagine how it would have felt if The Sims 5 had finished in 2019? And how would a TS5 feel like? Would it be an open world? How much harsher would the technical requirements be?

It feels like for these long-term games full of expansions the rule of thumb now is to just take as long as you possibly can until the overlaps become too great and the technical base becomes too faulty, as we see in strategy games and even fighting games, Paradox's oldest games still getting updates right now, for example, are 2013 Europa Universalis 4 and 2015 City Skylines.

Marketing wise, it would feel like the sensible thing to do with the situation the game was in a few years ago was to put all your cards in a sequel, heck, a TS4 doing poorly would probably make the reception of TS5 better since you would have less of an issue with people having to leave the complete, DLC filled, the previous version. Instead they have been putting a lot of work into reforming the game. It's all just confusing, but, I feel like at least two more expansion packs seem guaranteed, but pushing TS4 to its 10th anniversary feels like too much, so I sort of expect Sims 5 to be announced next year, and released either end of 2022, or 2023.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2021
    It's something I never really think about. With the way games are going now days it's really hard to say. A few more years I guess?
    However, if I had it my way it would NEVER end. 😁😁😁😁
    I just feel like no matter how upgraded and awesome ts5 would potentially be, ts4 will always feel special to me! And it's so much fun. I guess the same way some players feel about ts2 because it's the game they made the most memories with?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I think Sims 4 will end in early 2022.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think it will reach 10 years. Will it go beyond that? I'm not sure. I can't see it lasting more than 15 years and I hope it doesn't. I love the sims 4 but I think a completely new game is exciting and there is a lot that is not possible in 4 (and probably will never be) that could be possible in a completely new engine.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I think it's great that they haven't abandoned Sims 4 yet and for the first time in Sims history they plan to give us pack refreshes. Maybe it's best that they slow down or they'll be on Sims 7 by 2030.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find them announce Sims 5 and continue Sims 4 at the same time for the first year or more. It's not uncommon actually and gives more people time to switch, get some of the expansions, etc. We'll have to wait and see, but I can definitely see Sims 4 going for 10 years. But I have the feeling Sims 5 has been in the works for a fair bit too.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Originally I thought maybe an announcement might come late this year with a release date of late 2022 or early 2023, but after they said TS4 has years and years left, now I'm leaning towards 2023 announcement with a 2024 release date.

So, I'm guessing we still have a little more than 2 years left when TS4 turns 10.

Doesn't personally make me happy, because I'm ready for something new and fresh. But just because I am interested in it, it also doesn't mean it's guaranteed I'll move on, because there are certain things that are 100% "must have's" for me before I start sinking money into a new game. And just basing how EA/Maxis have done things in TS4, I highly doubt the things I want will ever happen, or if it does it'll take 6 years for it to be implemented.

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    It's something I never really think about. With the way games are going now days it's really hard to say. A few more years I guess?
    However, if I had it my way it would NEVER end. 😁😁😁😁
    I just feel like no matter how upgraded and awesome ts5 would potentially be, ts4 will always feel special to me! And it's so much fun. I guess the same way some players feel about ts2 because it's the game they made the most memories with?
    Was The Sims 4 your first Sims game? I am just asking as it’s one of a kind no other game dose anything like others have tryed and failed so your first Sims game will always feel special.
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I hope the Sims 4 continues and grows, why bring out a Sims 5 only to have to remake and sell the same essential expansions again? e.g. supernatural, seasons, generations, pets, university, island etc these will be in high demand to be remade all over again. Now the Sims 4 has made what seems like most of the 'essential' packs, they can bring out more creative packs that we haven't seen before like they did with 'country living' 'spa day' 'outdoor living; 'snowy escape' etc
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Just curious to know what you guys think. :)

Probably ten years which is kind of sad.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    I hope the Sims 4 continues and grows, why bring out a Sims 5 only to have to remake and sell the same essential expansions again? e.g. supernatural, seasons, generations, pets, university, island etc these will be in high demand to be remade all over again. Now the Sims 4 has made what seems like most of the 'essential' packs, they can bring out more creative packs that we haven't seen before like they did with 'country living' 'spa day' 'outdoor living; 'snowy escape' etc

Because hopefully be a better game.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I think the game is too broken to be continued much longer.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2021
    They added 20 more stuff pack/kit numbers in the code (which is around 2-3 years with their current schedule) but if they are gonna keep making so many kits then it's not gonna last much longer for me and if more people feel the same then I think it won't be longer than 2-3 more years.

Rockstar Games have kept their game GTA5 running for as long as the sims4 with just updates and from the look of things their fans are getting tired of it now.

My guess is that they are aiming for the game to last for 10 years. I don't think I will be much interested in the sims4 during those last years because it feels like that will be a lot of kits, but I do hope that they might release their other game during that time which is rumored to be made by Maxis Austin.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited October 2021
    I expect it to last for a few years more. Seems like EA invests a bot in refreshing old content, something they would not have done if there were plans of releasing TS5 anytime soon. For all what we know, there might be some unannounced backstage tech improvements, to prepare the old packs for future compatibility. We can only guess... Personally I've invested so much time and fantasy into my TS4 universe that I will not be willing to start from scratch again.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Hopefully sooner than later
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I am not particularly sure. I cannot say I've never thought about it, but I am not so confident as to pick an actual date on the calendar. Wouldn't shock me if it reached a double digit birthday, though.

I do think the 5 is in the works, but even the idea stage is in the works.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I cannot even guess anymore. 3 years ago, even 2 years ago I would have said 2020 or 2021 would be its last year, but I feel like we've still probably got another year or two of content (so basically the same amount of years I was thinking several years ago). I think we'll definitely get a full year's content through all of 2022, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got even more in 2023 or early 2024. I really do feel like the last year we'll get new content for at latest though is 2024.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    It will last forever for me but I think we'll continue to see new content for at least 2 more years.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    I think they may have planned it to last 10 years, but with all the bugs in a vanilla game, I just can’t see it lasting that long. I do hope they find out how to fix the bugs before ending it. One major bug for me being the plants reverting to dirt.
  • SimminDragonSimminDragon Posts: 34 Member
    Not sure how long TS4 is going to last. It lasted a pretty long time now. What if TS5 they want to make more online interactive with a special VR feature. One of the consuls was the oculus quest. You can make your own avatar and step into your sim and sim world? Play the sims your way, and in certain community lots meet up with other players in their avatars? If the sims series continues for a long time, I wonder if that is where we are headed with it?
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Not sure how long TS4 is going to last. It lasted a pretty long time now. What if TS5 they want to make more online interactive with a special VR feature. One of the consuls was the oculus quest. You can make your own avatar and step into your sim and sim world? Play the sims your way, and in certain community lots meet up with other players in their avatars? If the sims series continues for a long time, I wonder if that is where we are headed with it?

The thing is... if it does go that way I don't think it would then be a life simulator at all (can't be "sims" if they're avatars of real people) but a virtual reality game of some kind... or maybe not even a game so much as a virtual community venue of sorts. That doesn't interest me at all, so if it does go in that sort of direction I'd be skipping it anyway.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Hopefully not until we get more occults. Or at least a few of the highly requested ones like faeries and werewolves.

I'd really love to have Superheroes/Villains too (it's a dream pack of mine) and could totally get behind zombies and genies, but as long as we get faeries and werewolves, I think I'd be okay with them moving on. If they abandoned TS4 and went onto TS5, it would sort of feel like a huge slap in the face to occult fans, I feel. Especially when we're so ignored as it is.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think Sims 4 will end in early 2022.

:D:D
  • plumboy23plumboy23 Posts: 133 Member
    I think we'll have Sims 4 till its 10th Anniversary arrive