Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Object attraction is so frustrating...

ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
...and makes no sense.

Why should my neat, genius outdoor loving sim who is very focused suddenly break off from a chess game and run all the way across a lot to play a guitar? I tried to cancel the interaction, but no, now they have the guitar skill. This is one example of the 1000s I have encountered in this game

I have seen many, many threads complaining about moodlet mechanic, but I find the massive object attraction way more gamebreaking.

Two romantic sims on a date, romance bar in the sweet zone. Time for that first kiss. Never mind that, they need to run and run with joy to the nearest chess board :/

Makes me grind my teeth
Awake.
Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one.
Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
The day's divinity....
The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Comments

• HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    One of the reasons I've disabled so many autonomous interactions with mods. There's no balance.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    HopeyStarr wrote: »
    One of the reasons I've disabled so many autonomous interactions with mods. There's no balance.

I've been down that road. The problem is, you suppress the attraction of one object and they just seem to randomly pick another irrelevant object to go for.

The only object/activity I have completely blocked is video gaming as the attraction value on that activity is so high that I suspect its true value can only be understood by the top boffins at CERN or NASA.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I think the sims in the Sims 4 have an addiction problem.

They are addicted to soooo many objects in game.
    1. Dancing at the stereo
    2. The Tea maker
    3. The coffee maker
    4. Drinking water at the sink
    5. Trolling the forums
    6. Playing games on the Computer
    7. Chatting on the computer
    8. Cooking random meals
    9. Cleaning
    10. Eating Quick Meals

And many times, it's completely illogical. It almost never has to deal with traits or aspirations. The game just programs all sims to be attracted to certain objects. It's not fun, deep or interesting.
    And worst of all, it makes it seem like all sims are the same :(

It's so annoying I wish I could send all my sims to rehab :D
    edited July 2021
    Further, the attraction overrides their needs a lot (most) of the time. I see sims all the time with needs bars well into the red and they will still be doing be dancing or [insert bixter's list] until you finally stop them and send them to the toilet. You still have to watch em tho'.

They can waddle halfway to a toilet and then decide that right there and then is the time to ignore the deep ache in their lower guts to view a decorative pig.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2021
    I do understand where you're coming from for I find their attraction to stereos and especially computers rather irritating. At least you can block computer use but it kind of seems that all sims are really drawn to it in one way or another and, for some reason, it seems to be very high on the priority list, even visitors will immediately hone in to the computer instead of watching TV or something, and it also overrides their supposed likes/dislikes even traits. E.g. I had to get a computer for Vlad's place for a while, I have set it so he likes the pipe organ but as soon as there was a stupid computer he suddenly wanted to spend all his time "trolling teh forums". Like, I get that he's Evil so trolling forums might be attractive for him BUT he's also a Music Lover and he's supposed to really like the pipe organ... but nah.
    Stereos too seem to be very attractive to them. Even sims who are supposed to dislike dancing do it all the time. I guess it might be intentional in order for nightclubs/bars/whatever to be more lively and I can appreciate that (because in previous games nightclubs could be pretty drab when it came to sims actually dancing) but, especially with likes/dislikes introduced, it's pretty ridiculous.
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    edited July 2021
    bixters wrote: »

1. Dancing at the stereo
    2. The Tea maker
    3. The coffee maker
    These four, specially dancing and drinking water are practically Sim magnets. I've accepted their constant need for water, tea and coffee, and most of the time I allow them to dance. But I put the stereo outside, so if it suddenly starts to rain, well, there goes their dancing. Such a shame. Then the rain stopped and the little rascals found the bonfire.

With some items, like the piano, the yoga mattress, the garden and the computer, I'm fighting with all I got to keep certain Sims from certain objects. Hobby rooms are locked to all but a few Sims, my mystic garden are fenced off, some houses are sealed off so only Sims that can teleport can enter, and in some houses, computers are locked until I need to order something.

I've yet to find a way to stop my Sims (besides turning off free will) from leaving whatever they're doing to walk across the house and admire a random object (very popular with Sims using the sauna).

Likes has been working well or so it seems, but dislikes... oh well, if they insist on doing things they dislike, at least they're gonna be constantly cranky. Who am I to deny my Sims if they want to suffer?

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Not being able to cancel actions is my biggest annoyance of the Sims 4. My guess is they can't fix it. I can mod out many autonomous actions, but I just want to be able to cancel them.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,968 Member

1. Dancing at the stereo
    2. The Tea maker
    3. The coffee maker
    5. Trolling the forums
    6. Playing games on the Computer
    7. Chatting on the computer
    8. Cooking random meals
    9. Cleaning
    10. Eating Quick Meals

And many times, it's completely illogical. It almost never has to deal with traits or aspirations. The game just programs all sims to be attracted to certain objects. It's not fun, deep or interesting.

It's so annoying I wish I could send all my sims to rehab :D

I have an active sim addicted to dancing to the stereo, but his girlfriend, who is also active is not addicted to it.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I ended up switching off autonomy not that long ago for some reason and I have left it off. I agree that the autonomous fixations get annoying. I usually assign my sims tasks instead of just watching them. Previously I did a mix of assigning them tasks and letting them be autonomous but I am liking the game better now with autonomy switched off at this time. It just means that, no, I'm not dealing with this stuff. Yes, I'd like them to be less fixated on a few objects while autonomous.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    I always played with autonomy off in Sims 3 and 4, but recently trying to free up some space on my p.c. I got a bit tap happy and deleted all my saves in the sims 4. So I started up a new save and within 1 minute of placing a new family in a new house there it all went nuts - one person was waiting around to speak to someone who I couldn't see in the vicinity of the house (their face appeared queued to speak to) and I couldnt cancel it - one person ran up the stairs for no reason (needs were full) and the other family member couldn't decide what they wanted to do (things appeared in their queue then disappeared). I realised very quickly that autonomy was on and quickly shut that down .......and its never going on again!!
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I play with autonomy off for controlled Sim. Usually I have two- three Sims in the house, no big families, so it’s not a big deal to manage them. I’m on PS4 so no life saving mods for me and autonomy fully on makes the game really tedious. I need to constantly cancel idiotic actions (wash hands, coffee when well rested, going to chat to another person just to drop it half way) to make them behave like normal folks. Usually I guide them all the time, with only few Sims it’s easy and I always pause the game while assigning tasks. I also never have all the packs I own installed at once, only those I know I will needed for certain gameplay and that makes autonomy a little less frantic on PS4. At least that’s my experience. Lately I installed Movie Hangout and Watch Current Movie became my Sim’s favorite obsession, lol, it seems to override play games.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    No object has a higher attraction than the globe bar from Vintage Stuff.
  • RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    For me I find it annoying when they keep trying to play games in their phone, or if there’s a computer in the lot then forget everything else, they’re going straight for it. A lot of my Sims I don’t want to have the video gaming skill but they basically all do because of that.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member

I.D.C. Too much when the sims they drink water... It's when they won't go to the toilet and have accidents lots.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2021
    I call this obsessive behavior and I agree that it is a real problem in the Sims 4...

Often my sims will just stop what I have told them to do in order to go play with which ever item is seemingly more attractive to them on the lot. I've stopped using stereos in my sims homes altogether because of the obsessive endless dancing that they would do and instead I give the the Lin-z because that can play music when I choose and the sims don't ever turn it on autonomously.

I use MCCC to turn off some autonomy also, autonomous troll teh forums is not a thing in my game anymore, it was so very annoying all the time, turning it off seems to have lessened their obsession with the computer.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    In the beginning stuff like this just about drove me insane and I had to shut off autonomy completely, still they manage to find ways to mess with me like walking right past the kitchen sink to wash the dishes in the bathroom sink upstairs.
    The cake is a lie
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited July 2021
    Doesn't bother me too much. Like on a date, then goes and starts playing video games. Probably very realistic these days, lol!

Yes I cancel that and return the Sim to the date. ;)

I'm like, "Again? No you don't you plumiot, your games like Sims 4 can wait for later!" :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I shut autonomy off pretty quickly after I started playing TS4, but recently I tried giving one household more free will again. The moment I set them free, one of my Sims hustled to the sink to wash his hands. His wife and teenage daughter seemed to race for the nearest computer. Mom won the race. Her frustrated daughter was then frozen by indecision, queuing up several actions before emulating Dad's commitment to hand hygiene.

By now, Dad needed to use the bathroom, with a Bladder need in the red zone. After moaning about his discomfort...he spotted the stereo. I had forgotten I gave them a stereo, but Dad hadn't. You know what happened next.

I turned autonomy back off.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    @MoonlightGraham Yeah that's awesome. :D
    It's cool, some people prefer a dollhouse to a simulation. lol! ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Marycool33Marycool33 Posts: 151 Member

completely agree! just today i noticed one of my sims kept going to play videogames on the computer when it didn't match her traits, her career or her lifestyles at all. my other sim, on the other hand, is a geek who actually likes videogames so it makes sense that she does it as well. i created these two to be very different but they have similar tendencies and it's so annoying. i always wonder where these so-called "smarter sims" that were promised to us in 2014 went
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2021
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    @MoonlightGraham Yeah that's awesome. :D
    It's cool, some people prefer a dollhouse to a simulation. lol! ;)

I'd say I'm somewhere between the dollhouse and simulation poles. I want to control my active Sim, so I decide if and when they dance and wash their hands. I'll stop other members of the active household from doing wacky random actions most of the time. If that's playing dollhouse, then so be it.

I don't mind other Sims doing their own things. If they'd rather Troll Teh Forums or drink gallons of water than anything else, that's all good.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    I have just had a good one.

3 sims in the household - two adults and one teen sim with neat/genius traits. The teens social need was in the red and had a sad moodlet due to being lonely. This moodlet was covered by an inspired moodlet from cooking a nice breakfast (an omelet if anyone cares).

The two adult sims wake and I immediately set those two sims to carry out socials with the teen sim. The teen's social need bar has the up arrows and rising. Now I am pretty much spamming socials from both adult sims at the teen, but before I could select the next social, the teen was up and out the door and ran to a portable computer on the other side of the lot to chat on the portable computer setup on a picnic table.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Autonomy off for six years and counting 😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    foxybilly wrote: »
    I always played with autonomy off in Sims 3 and 4, but recently trying to free up some space on my p.c. I got a bit tap happy and deleted all my saves in the sims 4. So I started up a new save and within 1 minute of placing a new family in a new house there it all went nuts - one person was waiting around to speak to someone who I couldn't see in the vicinity of the house (their face appeared queued to speak to) and I couldnt cancel it - one person ran up the stairs for no reason (needs were full) and the other family member couldn't decide what they wanted to do (things appeared in their queue then disappeared). I realised very quickly that autonomy was on and quickly shut that down .......and its never going on again!!

🤣 🤣 🤣 lmbo! The story of my sims everytime I give autonomy a try then quickly switch it back off to keep my sanity
    I mean to be fair the sims have to do "something" or else it would be no different then having autonomy off. And they are not smart enough to calculate "oh I'm having a date let me give my date all the attention and resist jumping on the third floor PC for a game of fortnite" 😆
    But I do however, wish their choices wasn't so random but I can't think of any other way it could be done. I feel like we just need much smarter AI overall