Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are Your Favorite Packs? What Packs Do You Regret Purchasing?

Comments

• Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    My favorites are City Living, Discover University, Cottage Living, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, and Dine Out.

I don’t necessarily regret any packs I bought but I think I should’ve waited to buy Island Living until it went on sale. I got bored playing with it pretty quickly and even though Sulani is beautiful I don’t use it often enough.
  • Options
    Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Seasons, Island Living and Cottage Living. I only really "regret" the Realm of Magic pack. I just think that they could've done so much more with it and was a bit disappointed by it. But I love playing with witches on my game, so it was worth getting just so I could have them.
  • Options
    DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    I like all my eps and my sp’s GPS however I regret get the Star Wars one haven’t played it yet the only reason I got it because I like to have all the sims series 😂

• Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited July 2021
    Favorite packs: Get Famous, Snowy Escape (mostly for the build/buy and kimonos) Vampires, Realm of Magic, Dine Out, Paranomal SP and Moschino SP.

I wont say I have any packs I regret since even my least favorite packs have something that I can use in my play style. (Never getting JtB though. Yuck.) Plus, what helps is that I get free Amazon giftcards once in awhile, so even packs Im only going to use one or two things out of dont feel like a waste since Im hardly using my wallet on them! :D

• Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

Seasons in my overall favorite. I live in an area with four seasons and I love having that in my game as well. I've also enjoyed Get Together, Dream Home Decorator, and Moschino quite a bit. I really like the decorator and photographer career in the latter two. I didn't think I would like Cottage Living as much since that isn't really my play style but have been pleasantly surprised thus far.

I don't have any packs that I flat out regret buying because I do find uses in all of them. I could have done without Spooky Stuff, Realm of Magic and JTB. I just don't use the gameplay or BB from those two packs as much as the others. I did wait with JTB and got it 50% off thankfully. ROM is disappointing because I LOVED playing as a witch is TS3. It hasn't appealed to me as much in TS4

Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I only regret buying BTD kit, if it worked like Laundry Day (only houses that have a certain object get dusty) I wouldnt.
    other than that there are some packs I regret buying on full price (like Dream Home Decorator).

I absoutely love Cottage Living, Vampires, RoM, C&D, Paranormal and Get Together (the club system is just awesome)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    Lulu29 wrote: »
    Seasons, I only really "regret" the Realm of Magic pack. I just think that they could've done so much more with it.

I love RoM but I really do agree with this. Especially with the whole setup of the realm slowly being destroyed by a vortex and stuff, which then ended up having little to do with anything. Could've definitely done more with it.

As for me: Favourite packs are (despite what I just mentioned) Realm of Magic, Seasons, Cottage Living is already a favourite, Paranormal Stuff, Strangerville, Parenthood and Cats + Dogs.
    I wouldn't say I regret any of the ones that I've bought since I've used them all in some way at least once, but my least favourites are probably Journey to Batuu, Laundry Day, Spa Day.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited July 2021
    Not sure what would be my favourites as I generally love most things and enjoy playing them all mixed in together. If I had to narrow it down a bit I would choose CoL, GT, GTW, Seasons, IL, Spa Day, Parenthood, Strangerville. I also love Dine Out when it is working fairly well. Snowy Escape is pretty enjoyable too, the only thing that ruins that for me is the really ridiculous and obtrusive animation for shoe removal, because I was hoping to have sims in every house in their socks instead of shoes.

I think I do have two regrets now, but they are kits rather than packs: DtB, because I can't use it with the constant sniffing of the rooms driving me nuts, and possibly CO because I don't think I will use much from it, though it is very beautiful. I guess it may come in handy one day.

If EA ever took out the room sniffing from DtB I would really love that too. And, yes, I know there is a mod for it (and for the shoe removal) - I have used them in the past - but am currently trying to stay vanilla.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    OP good question my favourites are city living, island living, jungle adventure, outdoor retreat, backyard stuff, tiny living and moschino. I will admit snowy escape is becominga favourite too. I think I prefer the “living” ep’s. The only pack I really never use is bowling stuff and wish I have never bought it. However I do regret buying eco lifestyle full price i wish I bought it in a sale.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Favorites - Seasons, Realm of Magic, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, City Living

Least favorites - Based on how much I use them, I guess it would be Vampires, Fitness stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Patio Stuff, and Luxury Party stuff. And with Vampires, I think it's a great pack. Playing Vampires just doesn't appeal to me.

Regrets - I regret Nothing. Not Journey to Batuu (lots of excellent Build/Buy and even some CAS in there) not My First Pet Stuff, not Spooky Stuff (which I bought only because of the Pirate costumes.) The one thing I might regret I didn't buy (Bust the Dust)
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    At the moment I can't live without Seasons, Eco Lifestyle, Paranormal, Realm of Magic and Cottage Living.

I actually regret buying Cats and Dogs :neutral: I LOVE pets in real life (proud cat owner! :heart: ) but I rarely have pets in my game.

As for the other packs I have in my collection, I use bits and pieces from each. :smile:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Idonthaveaname42Idonthaveaname42 Posts: 2 New Member
    My favorite packs are : Seasons, Cats and Dogs and Dine Out. Also Is it worth buying city living, because I'm not sure about getting it as well as Discover University. I don't regret buying anything.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    FAVORITES
    Get Together ties with Cottage Living
    Seasons ties with Snowy Escape
    Vampires ties with Realm of Magic
    Get To Work ties with Strangerville & Journey To Batuu

MEH
    Eco Living
    Dine Out
    Parenthood
    Fitness
    Moshino
    Backyard
    Toddler
    Kid's Room
    Bowling

• Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    It's easier to list these as packs I would not play without, and packs I could:

Can't play without:
    • Vampires and Get Famous - For these, the perks systems, progression, gameplay, and downsides were so good and really makes one feel powerful. They also both do what they say on the tin, without holding back.
    • City Living - A mishmash of culture, recurrent gameplay, new residential type, a new career category, a robust, living world...maybe it's the part of me that remains in the city (despite no love lost between us), but this captured me and never let go.
    • Laundry Day - I thought I would hate laundry--it's repetitive, tedious, and lacks gameplay...but for some reason it's calming, fades into the background as part of the game, and is completely optional. It feels natural, and that's why I love it.
    • Spa Day - Like with Laundry Day, if you'd told me I would use the features of this pack as much as I have thus far, I would have called you a dirty liar. Yet the atmosphere, the pampering my sims get, and my own inclusions of a makeover parlour (and plastic surgeon) and woohoo suites make it feel like a reward for my sims after a long, arduous week, month, whatever.
    • Jungle Adventure - A trip to Selvadorada is always welcomed for my sims, and even if I don't intend on making them rich from it, the culture and world draw me back every time. Now I'm looking for ways to spruce up the available lots in order to bring more normal hangouts (as opposed to just the Jungle) for sims uninterested in the artifacts.
    • Romantic Garden - I could not tell you half of the B/B or CAS items in this pack, but that wishing well is worth it all. It's like a slot machine that you'd expect to be cheaty, but ends up being such a playthrough enhancer/changer that just choosing to use it is as daunting as it should be, and never guaranteed to be pleasant.
    • Get To Work - I love everything this pack brings, without any major hitches (save for maybe the brain power cooldown, the lack of interesting hybrids, and the hidden world being somewhat lackluster). I use serums for interesting gameplay, aliens are my second-favourite occult, the simray and cloning machine are like the Wishing Well in their playthrough-altering usages, the active careers are a refreshing change of pace every now and then, retail lots are nice to add to a playthrough (for shopping), and even running one is somewhat interesting. I feel like GTW has no huge downsides (save for its age and the limitations thereof), and was (looking back) a solid pack for what it was. It's the lowest of my favourites, but I've a soft spot for it.

Could've done without:
    • Snowy Escape - Too narrow of a focus, mixing the idea of one very specific culture with a requested feature (snowy activities) to create a forgettable experience.
    • Cats & Dogs - Whilst I like Brindleton Bay and the rustic b/b, C&D's main feature (the pets) feel like an ask with regards to tacking onto a household. They aren't controllable, are limited in scope all throughout their lifespans, and take up a spot in both the household, and the daily routine. They're to me what toddlers and babies are to those who age them up right away.
    • Realm of Magic - Walking cheat codes with boring gameplay. I've had more fun with them through self-imposed restrictions, whereas with Vampires and Celebrities I can go all out and not be bored. They feel like they do too much and too little all at once, with very few fun options in-between. I won't even get into the potions system (straight out of herbalism and serums), nor the perks system (a bastardized amalgam of the Celebrity and Vampires systems).
    • Moschino - Whilst it's a nice enhancement to a feature initially in another pack (later moved to basegame), there's not much to it that couldn't have been added to a basegame update.
    • Toddler and Kids' Room Stuff - I just don't play with either lifestage enough for these to do anything for me.
    • Bowling Night - If there are more than 1 sims playing the main feature of this pack, it's a slog. What should've been a fun 80's-inspired good time is instead too narrow, niche, and underwhelming, despite some nice CAS and b/b pieces.
    • Movie Hangout and Cool Kitchen - The main features of these packs feel very limited, and with the former, whilst I love the interactions and such with movies, the only reason they make it into my game is because sims rarely watch anything else. Were it an experience that brought with it a new venue type, maybe I would care less about it, or perhaps I'd care more. I could just do without both, is all I'm saying. As for the latter, the main feature seems too fleshed out for its own good, as I seldom see the need to touch it.
    • Perfect Patio - Hot tubs are a nice, luxury thing for sims to have, but the gameplay is too thin for its own good. Sims often want to get out as soon as possible, and even the aromatherapy, woohoo, and musical features feel unnecessary in-game. It's a multi-sim square bench with extra toppings.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I buy only the packs I know will interest me, so I don't regret any.

My favourites are:
    Island Living Mermaids are my favourite thing in the Sims and the Island life theme is quite fun and relaxing.
    Snowy Escape I really like the snowboarding and that it's on an actual mountain, and not a boring half-pipe.
    Seasons The weather and seasons adds a lot to the game and since I can dissable temperature effects on Sims I can enjoy these features without the risk of Sims dying.
    Get Together I can make natural pools, and the clubs system is so flexible, I can do anything with it.
    Luxury Party Stuff I really like the necklaces and dresses and use them all the time for formal and party outfits.
    Romantic Garden Stuff I've made some really nice wedding venues and gardens with this pack.

I haven't got Dream Home Decorator or Cottage Living yet, but I probably will really enjoy them. I would like Get to Work but I am still on the fence about this one.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like all the packs I bought and use elements of each (whether CAS, BB or location) all the time, mixing them together. That makes it hard to choose a favourite, but I would say the ones that contribute more prominently to my game play are Seasons, Get Together (mostly for the location, Windenburg, I don't care much about clubs, parties and DJ mixing), Pets and of course Cottage Living.
    I'm glad I got Island Living, Snowy Escape, Jungle Adventure, Outdoor Retreat and Strangerville because even if I rarely play there, I like having those extra locations that my Sims can travel to briefly.

I only use spellcasters and paranormal investigators in a single save, and never mix them with "normal" Sims in other saves. I love these packs, but I prefer to keep that kind of gameplay separated from my more "realistic" games.

The only packs I fear I might regret adding would be Get Famous and Vampires, because the kind of gameplay they add would really ruin the way I play (the fame system, paparazzi, and the vampires roaming around are all things I don't want in my game). So I didn't buy them.

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    SephardicSephardic Posts: 251 Member
    edited July 2021
    For me, my favourites are probably Seasons, Cottage Living, Vampires, Get Together, and Island Living. They all stood out to me individually when buying each one.

If I'm being honest, most stuff packs aren't exactly what I had hoped for when buying them. Especially the toddler pack, there's just so little and not worth buying if you can get similar (and better quality) toddler things through looking for CC. If I was to say my overall dislike, it would be Get to Work. The GTW world is little and I don't even use it at all. Don't get me wrong, love the careers but the retail part I've never really taken advantage of.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    My first Sims game was Sims 2, and I bought everything for it, and only missed two stuff packs, because they were released at the tail end of the run, and pretty quickly combined with other game packs.
    Sims 3 I heard made computers super laggy, and hard to play for some people. So, I just settled with the ones I really wanted, but there are a bit more, but my computer doesn't run the game well. So, I don't play my Sims 3 much.
    As for Sims 4, I have been super picky, so I am usually looking for a specific pack, or something that reminded me of Sims 2 and 3. I use all my packs, and I am only slightly disappointed with the University one where you can't keep track of your Sims' progress, and how long it can take for them to get through College. I don't hate it, though.
    I don't own all of Sims 4, especially the newer ones, I usually wait for reviews, and what is being offered before I buy it. I opted out of Eco Living, and am on the fence of buying it on sale. (I don't want my worlds to suffer pollution.) I did buy Batuu on sale, and it isn't bad, but a very obvious cash grab.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2021
    What Are Your Favorite Packs? What Packs Do You Regret Purchasing?

I think Seasons is probably the best pack, only because it is like its culinary namesake - it makes everything tastier.
    I don't really regret any of the packs I have bought, because there's features from each of them that I use and get a lot of satisfaction from. Content I am referring to are career paths, build mode items and gameplay tweaks. Having said that, I have not even explored any of the University gameplay content from that expansion. I picked up University when it was cheap and shelved it almost immediately.

There are some DLC which I am not interested in getting - mostly the more esoteric Stuff packs that focus on one element I don't pay attention to. I have even held off on getting the Cottage Living pack, just until the kinks get ironed out and patched.
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I really dislike ROM, I was so excited for it as I enjoyed sims 3 witches and alchemy but it’s just too easy. My sim learned all the spells really quickly and then I was bored, have nt touched it since. I m not keen on cats and dogs either and never have sims with pets but at least it came with Brindleton Bay, which I do like. Glimmerbrook is pretty boring.

I love seasons, col and get to work as I use retail all the time. I also use dine out quite a lot.
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    Glimmerbrook is pretty boring.

I like Glimmerbrook as a location, but it is way too small. With more lots it would have made it possible to create a small secluded community for spellcasters. My spellcasters ended up taking over Willow Creek instead.

Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited August 2021
    My favorite expansions would be get together for the world, club systems and games, and get to work for those 3 active careers ( I love the way they did them ), and a retail system, I am disappointed that you need to own the business to set up retail and I don’t care for buying off mannequins. But retail itself is something I would not want to give up. For game packs my favorites are outdoor retreat, for the herbalism skill, tents, ice chests, out door furniture, insects ( I use as pets for some sims ). Jungle adventure for the archeology and the pretty rain forest world. I wish we could live in these worlds and visit them without having to rent. I also like spa day for the skills and sauna and parenthood for the family play. Love toddler stuff, kids room stuff, void critters game is so cute, as is the puppet show, my first pet, back yard stuff and movie stuff and I do like the ice cream machine in cool kitchen, I also use the buffet table a lot from Luxury stuff too.

My least favorite packs would be discover university, and actually seasons, the weather is so often bad. The verdict is still not out for Eco living, I like some aspects and dislike some.

No regrets on buying any of the packs though, they each have something useful. I have been getting side tracked from playing because of the plants reverting to dirt piles though… . That’s so game breaking for me……wish they would really fix it.

Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited August 2021
    I wasn't going to reply to this because I have mixed feeling about TS4 packs.
    They usually look great and are selling some interesting features, but I find they usually underwhelm in some kind of way, or feel like a step forward and a step, or steps, backwards from what has come before.

But I usually find something appealing about the packs and try to get the most out of them that I can.

Expansion Packs

-Get Together: I love Windenburg and the clubs feature
    -Get Famous: I really enjoyed playing a group of rising starletts
    -Discover University: I love University packs in general, not this particular one though.
    -Snowy Escape: I love seeing my sims ski downhill, Japanese culture. It's mainly a vacation destination for my sims.

Game Packs
    -Parenthood: Family game play, plus toddlers arrived around this time.
    -Vampires: Well done supernatural sims, Aliens and mermaids should be as deep.
    -Dine Out: I don't make restaurants as a business. I just like sending sims out to dinner.
    -Spa Day: Can't explain it.
    -Realm of Magic: I love magical sims and the build mode for this pack.
    Loving it picture:
    09-27-19_10-31-51nbspPM.png

Stuff Packs
    -Movie Hangout: I like using it with Get Together for movie nights.
    -Paranormal stuff: Feels like an add-on to Realm of Magic and almost Game Pack like.
    -Tiny Living: I like the focus on living small. I wish there was more.
    -Moschino: Mainly because of the photography objects and career, but I actually use the clothes and furniture too.

Kits
    -I did not buy the Dust one as there were a lot of complaints about it. I did try others, and found the object based ones too limiting. I may only buy clothing based kits in the future if I like the clothes.

Regret
    -Eco Living: I really, really dislike NAPs. Most of them are unwanted. I do not like the world. It feels isolating and sparse with all those fake homes so close by and other livable lots so far away. I did not like being harassed by Eco NPCs. The only thing I did like were the community spaces and shipping container wall papers and doors.

Having to go through so much effort just to avoid designed game play is just bad and brings down the quality of the game.
    I removed it and want nothing to do with it. There are good reasons to have it, like rags to riches, but the bad outweighs the good for me.

Journey to Batuu
    I should dislike this pack for the following reasons:
    -Dubious reasons for existing
    -Repetitive game play
    -Based on "Disney" Star Wars, which has split the Star Wars fan base
    -Does not play well with other packs and other odd limitations

But I like it anyway.
    It's an odd fit as a pack for The Sims, but I made it fit as a theme park destination for my cosplay and Star Wars loving teen sims. Plus Lightsabers!

Cottage Living
    This one is too new and I haven't really played it to have a opinion on it.
    It looks like a cutesy gardening upgrade with a few farm animals thrown in.
    It appears to be a nice lifestyle alternative however.

Seasons
    It's a given. Weather and seasons should be base game by now and seasonal activities should be in all packs where it makes sense.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    edited August 2021
    Packs I cannot play without:

Realm of Magic
    Vampires
    Paranormal Stuff
    Get To Work
    City Living

Packs I could play without but prefer not to:

Seasons
    Cats and Dogs

Packs I have on occasion decided to disable, but still really enjoy (it was a hard choice)

Get Together

Yeah there aren't really any packs I own that I regret buying (at all), and I love all of the ones I have. Definitely my absolute top favourite packs are any of the occult ones though, those provide me with endless hours of gameplay and gameplay ideas. For non occult packs I'd have to say City Living is d@mn near perfect in my book.

I'm really fussy with what I will and won't buy in terms of Sims packs though, mainly because of budget constraints, so I concentrate on packs that (after much consideration) I feel confident I will use on a regular basis, and which suits my style of (mainly occult based) gameplay.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    ChelleyJay wrote: »
    Hi Simmers,

I was wondering what are your favorite packs from the Sims 4 and what packs do you regret purchasing? If any, I'd like to know. I would start with my favorite packs are Discover University, Island Living, City Living, Seasons, Parenthood, Movie Night, Toddler Stuff, & Laundry Day. A few other packs I like certain things about them. The only packs I regret purchasing are Realm of Magic and Strangerville. Also, Moschino is also one I didn't care to purchase, but the only thing about that pack I like is the freelance fashion photographer and the studio session.

I don't have everything in the Sims 4, still have a couple of packs to catch up on. I don't regret buying anything as there is always something in a pack that brings something to the game.

I love City Living. I probably use this pack the most for all it offers. I take all my Sims living in the other areas to there to do things. I also love Get Together. The clubs are great for skill boosting and friendship. I love Seasons although not so much plants being season based. The weather is so realistic with fun and disasters LOL.

I liked the Cats and Dogs and the Vet career but haven't played it for a while. When Cats and Dogs first came out there were everywhere in the game LOL, but I rarely see a stray animal apart from the neighbourhood they came in. Is this a good thing? I didn't like to see loads of stray animals around on other lots but it did make the game a little more realistic and encouraged my Sims to adopt a stray LOL.

I don't have the Star Wars pack yet, so can't comment on that pack but I will eventually buy it. Strangerville and Outdoor Retreat are a couple I rarely play of late. I explored them thoroughly when I bought them. Once a Sim has been through the scenario in Strangerville it kind of loses interest for me. I liked & enjoyed Outdoor Retreat until Seasons was introduced and to be honest haven't played it since. My game has been really messed up for finding collectables with newer packs installed and it spoils the fun in doing those things. There are probably newer things introduced in the game since that I haven't yet explored to make those areas more fun.

The fun for me is taking my Sim to another place and finding things your Sims can find in their own area. But the game has opened up all that and it seems so much easier to find things. This is particularly true for fishing. It has for me spoiled the foraging and finding things in the game as it has progressed with newer packs. They have been introduced in other ways. Before I would devise ideas for my game that would help with this and it would be fun. That is one aspect I like about fishing in the Sims 3. Your sim needed the correct bait and the correct place to fish to find what they needed.

I play a vanilla game without mods or custom content unless something introduced is so annoying then I may think about adding a mod to stop it! LOL.

Happy Simming.