Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you "cottage living" outside HOB?

Comments

• wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    @ghamrick75 so weird, I was just thinking how cool it would be to build something very tuscan and have the vineyard option because I'm planning a tuscan "ish" area in either desert oasis or glimmerbrook. So I'm also curious. I imagine there are cc items but in game items I have no idea 🤔
    @TARDISgrade so yeah I'll be looking that up 100% tonight or when I get a chance because ummmm... that's amazing 🥰 thank you so much! I can't wait lol I'm way too excited about this
    @simgirl1010 that actually looks like it belongs in Windenberg tbh I like it better where you put it
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    In a manner of speaking, although not doing farm stuff. My first Spellcaster couple are sharing the starter cottage in Glimmerbrook - and one can draw a direct connection from the Arts & Crafts Movement of the Nineteenth Century, straight through Art Nouveau, and hit a lot of the underlying ideas that resulted in Cottagecore today. Aesthetically, philosophically, and in terms of how they approach life, these two are already there. Just not necessarily into livestock or needlepoint.

But I love - LOVE - the ambiance of Henford on Bagley specifically as a change of pace from where I have largely been playing, which has been Oasis Springs or Sulani, depending.

For what is is worth, the people who would settle Polynesia had already domesticated chickens and took them with them when they settled the islands of the Pacific - so cows and llamas, maybe not, but raising poultry is ENTRIRELY appropriate to Island Living, even if one is doing the Child of the Islands deep dive into traditional Polynesian cultures.
    @Sindocat super interesting! so true, I lived in Hawaii for a while and chickens are a for real thing there. Ranching also hugely popular still in areas of the smaller islands and on the big island cows and horses are normal life for many of them.
    They may look strange in Sulani though because the island ranch life is no where near the beach but hey to each player their own 🥰
  • CharleyNoel9CharleyNoel9 Posts: 38 Member
    Yes! I have built a couple of cottage farms in Newcrest to get the feel of building them and plan to use Brindleton Bay to make some nice farms. I think it has a countryside feel that would work well with farm areas. (side note: I think HoB is a beautiful world, but when I play a family I find it a bit dim/dark so would like some farms in other areas where that won't be the case.)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited July 2021
    oh also maybe chickens can be forgotten hollow appropriate if you give them some midnight treats ;)

i so wish they had also done llama of death it seemed such perfect opportunity to turn that to actual being rather than just statue
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    @CharleyNoel9 nice! I almost started in Newcrest but I have most of my "intense" gardening sims in the desert and I love that it's bright and sunny... always. Kinda like you said hob is little dim (though I adore it) and for these sims, I think a reno in the desert is where I'll start though it seems brindleton is quite popular!
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2021
    Simmingal wrote: »
    and i might use some planters and llamas in selvadorada but I'll have to see how these things work on public lots first

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts, I've figured out a way to have cows (presumably llamas/chickens will be the same) permanently on a public lot.

The tricky part is that you can place animals sheds on a public lot, but you can't purchase an animal in BB nor can your Sim if they visit that public lot. So your Sim must first place a shed on their home lot, purchase the animal, then put the animal in their inventory, visit the public lot and assign the animal to one of the sheds there.

The problem is that when your Sim will eventually return home, when their home lot loads, the animals left behind will be returned to them (in their inventory). So, to bypass this, I've bought the cows using an active Sim that lives in the town but that I don't play with anymore. After visiting the public lot and assigning the cows there, I left the Sim in the public lot, loaded the world and played with my main family. I visited the public lot where the cows where left multiple times with my main family and the cows are still there.

The cow owner is currently not on the public lot, so he might have gone home on his own, but as long as I don't take control of him, the game lets the cows stay in the public lot where they were left.

51341863761_437eaefc81_z.jpgcows on public lot by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

Playable Sims who visit the lot can interact with the animals (feed them/pet them, dress them etc), but if they're not the owner can't milk or clean them.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Are those cows in the Windenburg Ruins Lot?
    edited July 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Are those cows in the Windenburg Ruins Lot?

They're in Windenburg, yes, but on Crumbling Island, on the big lot (I bulldozed the residential building that was standing there and created a personalised public lot using some hidden objects found in BB for the ruins).

Edited to add:

This is the lot

51341196437_376307620d_z.jpgRuins by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    HavenRose wrote: »
    Yes! I just got the pack yesterday and am starting the next round of a rotation, so I’m still working out logistics and figuring out the gameplay. My goal is to let different families specialize in different crops/items, so that way there’s a constant supply of stuff available that they can “barter” with each other for instead of relying on the limited selection from grocery delivery. They all won’t have to become full time farmers for that to happen, either. I love the idea of putting everyone on simple living lots just for the extra challenge, but with rotational play and seasons it’s a bit of a pain. I’m also ok with putting my apartment dwellers on simple living lots - they’ll just be paying a premium for groceries or living on takeout, which feels very realistic. I was already starting to work toward this with flowers for flower arrangements and other miscellaneous craftables.

That said, I’ll probably still make a couple of main farm families to take on the bulk of the work gardening, raising animals, and canning. The possibilities for developing an internal economy are very interesting to me. I also kind of love that groceries are so expensive, since once your sim hits a certain point making money is the game is so easy

How does the bartering work? The only thing I came up with was having grocery stores in different worlds. I will probably have to use some cc produce stalls even though I usually don't use cc in my builds.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    and i might use some planters and llamas in selvadorada but I'll have to see how these things work on public lots first

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts, I've figured out a way to have cows (presumably llamas/chickens will be the same) permanently on a public lot.

The tricky part is that you can place animals sheds on a public lot, but you can't purchase an animal in BB nor can your Sim if they visit that public lot. So your Sim must first place a shed on their home lot, purchase the animal, then put the animal in their inventory, visit the public lot and assign the animal to one of the sheds there.

The problem is that when your Sim will eventually return home, when their home lot loads, the animals left behind will be returned to them (in their inventory). So, to bypass this, I've bought the cows using an active Sim that lives in the town but that I don't play with anymore. After visiting the public lot and assigning the cows there, I left the Sim in the public lot, loaded the world and played with my main family. I visited the public lot where the cows where left multiple times with my main family and the cows are still there.

The cow owner is currently not on the public lot, so he might have gone home on his own, but as long as I don't take control of him, the game lets the cows stay in the public lot where they were left.

51341863761_437eaefc81_z.jpgcows on public lot by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

Playable Sims who visit the lot can interact with the animals (feed them/pet them, dress them etc), but if they're not the owner can't milk or clean them.

Is it possible to place animals there from debug?
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    For me no. I don't know but it feels weird to use them outside the world unless of course it was just minor objects. I kinda like to make my worlds feel more "Unique" especially the EP Worlds.

Windenburg - For Classic Bars, pub games and DJ Booths with Dance floors ( I used to only have clubs in Windenburg but the gameplay is so good to avoid it)
    City Living - The apartment city for me.
    Brindleton Bay - The Pet coastal friendly world of The Sims
    Del Sol Valley - The home of reach and famous with their homes.
    Snowy Escape - for skiing and adventures.
    HOB - For farming.

I make my worlds unique because especially since with the vacation feature I find that it works well. For example want to break from the nightlife in Windenburg? How about a vacation in HOB where you could meet some farm animals? Kind of like that. I feel like I am limiting myself with the options XD but I don't know I find it engaging when the worlds are unique since it gives me insentves to travel and explore the worlds.
    edited July 2021
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Is it possible to place animals there from debug?

I made a test with some chickens and rabbits from debug. I managed to place them, but they were inanimate and couldn't be interacted with - essentially they were just decor.
  • PixilatedPixilated Posts: 42 Member
    I am obsessed with Henford at the moment so all my main sims live there.
    I made Brindleton a farming area that's connected to Henford by the river which becomes open water that leads to it. Sometimes I like to send a sim or 2 over to Brindleton with the Sulani craft tables where they sell some of their crafted things or to drop off a shipment that gets sent to other parts of the sim world.
    I like to think of Brindleton as a trading area with the dock and boats and all.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I gave Knox, his mom and her girl a little farm.
    BvGLxmJ.png
    Where the support beams are I put a bug house and the bee box so they don't get disturbed by rain.
    jAhPFPU.png
    Can't tell if Blossom has mixed feelings or is happy to see her son moving beyond the farm though.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yes I'm all over the place with this pack! <3

The first thing I did was take my spellcaster who lives in Glimmerbrook out to befriend the wild birds
    1ArSn5K.jpg

He was then able to place their home in his backyard
    ZzM36ar.jpg
    UroNhKM.jpg
    He loves singing to them in the morning
    7i04BwG.jpg

Then, I went over to Windenburg and played a family of three, an elder couple who still has a teen living at home. Blizzard raged outside, so they all took up some crafts.
    qAAGaav.jpg
    I farmed through 28 days of winter! Their garden is just behind their front fence. Dad's been canning like mad!
    uDyqaAw.jpg
    The wife loves knitting now, and had to keep her loved ones nice and warm
    lviZP4F.jpg
    Finally the last two days of winter, soon will be spring
    h6cLAT1.jpg

Spent two days in Newcrest to give a family some chickens, before heading over to Finchwick.
    Most of my families will be using the Simple Living Challenge Trait, just love it.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm not a fan of using features outside of its natural world. I like that stray cats and dogs are exclusive to Brindleton Bay, etc. As Bob Ross once said, use something you like a lot and you'll kill its effect.

However a chicken coop wouldn't go amiss in Windenburg. And you won't have to worry about foxes (if, like me, you leave settings alone).

• AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I haven't yet because I enjoy playing the new world, but I definitely will. I'll use chickens for sure in other worlds. For worlds like Willow creek and Oasis springs I'm hoping there will be a modern custom content shed that fits better in those worlds. The chicken coup already fits in all the worlds imo. I'm not a big fan of the look of the shed as it is now, but it definitely fits in Windenburg and maybe even Brindleton bay.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    I feel like Brindleton Bay would be a nice place for a farm/cottage, been considering building one there.

Yes Brindleton Bay does sound good, plus I will probably do so in the countryside of Windenburg as well.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    For now, I'm primarily playing HoB, but I'm making small tweaks elsewhere:

1) I have one small farm in Windenburg (one cow, one chicken coop, veggie garden, one bee house).
    2) My eco-commune in Sulani now has a llama and a chicken coop. I'll add chicken coops to probably one or two of my other Sulani households.
    3) Eventually I want to create the Roswell Ranch & Creamery, as a retail lot for Ted Roswell to own. They will have cows and sell milk and cheese. But I think to do this, I'm going to need to turn my Shady Acres Chapel lot on the bluff from a museum into a library, so that I can convert the library in the middle of town into a retail lot. I'm going to have to think this through, though. Otherwise I guess I could kick out the guy living in the old plane; I never play him, but I do sort of like having him and that lot there for local color, so that's not my first choice.
    4) I gave a cow to one of my families in Forgotten Hollow,
    5) Some of my Glimmerbrook families may eventually get a few animals of some sort.
    6) I kind of feel like Johnny Zest needs a llama, but we'll see.
    7) I can't remember who mentioned adding the fox lot challenge to lots in Mt. K, but I love this idea!
    8) A few of my home gardeners in Willow Creek have chicken coops now.
    9) Brindleton Bay definitely calls for a farm or two, but I don't think I have the space or available lots for it. Although I currently have a community space on the island, which I didn't think through properly at the time, because it's a solo lot so no one can vote for what kind of space to use. So I'm thinking about kicking out one of my residential lots in the dog neighborhood, moving the community space to that lot, and then making a residential lot that's a farm on the island. I'm thinking of calling it Sea Grass Farms. I'd probably put a loner type with a couple of dogs there.
    edited July 2021
    CK213 wrote: »
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    I feel like Brindleton Bay would be a nice place for a farm/cottage, been considering building one there.

Yes Brindleton Bay does sound good, plus I will probably do so in the countryside of Windenburg as well.

Yes, some parts of Brindleton Bay have the perfect scenery for farming (especially the upper lots in Sable Square and the lots in Cavalier Cove). This is a "farm" I built months ago (pre-CL) using debug objects. It's set up as a retail lot (the carved pumpkins and the produce displayed on the counter are buyable).

51343439076_0e22b486d3_z.jpgBrindleton by le TARDISgrade, on Flickr

It would be a very nice lot where to build a real, functional farm.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    I'll have 3 families in HOB but also a couple raising chickens in Strangerville, an Egyptian family with a cow in Newcrest, a family with a cow in Oasis Springs who will import some bunnies and farm as the teen daughter has the Country Caretaker aspiration, and a family with a llama in Del Sol Valley. Any of my families can grow giant veggies or special mushrooms, do canning, or order groceries/visit Finchwick for the fair and shopping.