Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Cross-Pack Summary

ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
I've been really enjoying the new pack and finding how it connects to other packs, so I thought I'd make a list of all the cross-pack interactions I've read about or found in-game, share any extras you come across!

General:
-Any pack recipes that fall under ‘cooking’, ‘gourmet cooking’ or ‘grilling’ interactions are included under simple living (but no recipes that fall under drinks are)
-The gardening and grocery stores can sell various pack harvestables, including plants normally only found in other worlds (Granite Falls, Sixam etc.)

Outdoor Retreat:
-There is a special gifting interaction to give birds/rabbits collected insects
-If simple living is active, campfires can only be used to roast marshmallows (no other foods)

Get to Work:
-All baking recipes (both oven and cupcake factory) are included under simple living (note that the base game ‘cook cupcake’ interaction on the machine is not included)
-Bread cooked via the baking skill can be used in recipes when simple living is active
-Pies cooked via the baking skill can be entered into competitions

Get Together:
-Cross-stitch and caring for animals are included as a club activities

Dine Out:
-Experimental meals are included under simple living

City Living:
-Singing to birds builds the singing skill

Cats and Dogs:
-Cats and dogs can react to and interact with farm animals
-Dogs can occasionally chase off foxes
-Dogs can play in ponds
-Pets will eat chicken feed unless taught not to eat garbage
-Sims with the animal enthusiast trait get positive moodlets from interacting with cats and dogs

Seasons:
-Patchy helps out with farm chores such as cleaning out animal sheds and looking after oversized crops
-Grand meals are included under simple living
-An ice skating rink will spawn in Finchwick during winter
-Oversized Crops, chocoberries and verdant mushrooms grow in all seasons, other berries and mushrooms are seasonal
-Ponds ice over in winter
-Rain will water oversized crops
-Sprinklers can be used to water oversized crops (the sprinklers must be placed directly adjacent to the crop patch in order to work, not on a corner or at a 1/2 square away)
-Honey can be used as a substitute for cowberry jam when making golden animal treats
-Giving gifts to wild animals fulfills the ‘give gifts’ tradition

My First Pet Stuff:
-Sims with the animal enthusiast trait get positive moodlets from interacting with rodents

Get Famous:
-Sims can earn fame from the weekly fair competitions

Island Living:
-The bbq pit is included under simple living

Realm of Magic:
-The cauldron is included under simple living
-Spellcasters can use the scrubaroo spell to clean dirty animals and sheds

Discover University:
-Gardening bots built via the robotics skill will help take care of oversized crops
-Cleaner bots built via the robotics skill will clean dirty animals and sheds
-Sims can take elective classes in cross-stitching when enrolled in university

Eco Lifestyle:
-Faux meat cubes can be used to make meat substitute
-The new berries and mushrooms can be used for juice fizzing (oversized crops can’t)
-There is a special gifting interaction to give birds/rabbits farmed insects

Nifty Knitting Stuff:
-Some animal clothing items can be knitted, as well as bought and sold on plopsy
-Llama wool can be used for knitting
-Sims with a high knitting skill will get a focussed moodlet while cross-stitching
-Sims can cross-stitch while rocking on a rocking chair

NOT covered:
-The coolers (Outdoor Retreat, Toddler Stuff), ice cream machine (Cool Kitchen Stuff), popcorn machine (Movie Hangout Stuff), kava bowl (Island Living), hot pot (Snowy Escape) and drink trays (Spa Day, Backyard Stuff) are not included under simple living
-The ‘cook pet recipe’ stove interaction (Cats and Dogs) is not included under simple living
-The pumpkin carving station (Spooky Stuff) cannot use real pumpkins
-Fish traps (Island Living) cannot be used in ponds
-Playing in ponds does not fulfil the water fun tradition (Seasons)
-Some specialty ingredients such as spices (City Living), honey (Seasons) or farmed insects (Eco Lifestyle) aren't available from the grocery store/delivery.
-Large packs of fizzy juice/kombucha/seltzer (Eco Lifestyle) cannot be added to the picnic basket.
-Sims with the spice hound trait (City Living) still feel uncomfortable after eating spicy mushrooms.
Post edited by Childrenofhurin on

Comments

• kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member

-Sprinklers (Seasons) do not water oversized crops

These must be over sights or bugs
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

I think so, these are the sort of things I imagine they would fix
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member

I think making a thread on answers hq would get their attention
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I’d also imagine that quick meals still being able to be grabbed from coolers and probably the hot pot not using it at least was a oversight with the simple living challenge. Maybe ice cream maker too but not sure there.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Thank you for doing this list. This is good to know if and when I decide to buy this pack. I hope you will update it if you notice other things that can or can't be used from the other packs or core for the simple living challenge. I appreciate this list.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Thank you for doing this list. This is good to know if and when I decide to buy this pack. I hope you will update it if you notice other things that can or can't be used from the other packs or core for the simple living challenge. I appreciate this list.

Hopefully people find it useful. I hope to update the first post when I come across new stuff or if other people comment here or elsewhere.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Hopefully people find it useful. I hope to update the first post when I come across new stuff or if other people comment here or elsewhere.

Yes, that's very useful, thank you!

Do you know if bread from Get to Work can be used as an ingredient in other Simple Living recipes, like eggs and toast etc?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    edited July 2021
    Some more Nifty Knitting things.

Sims who have high knitting skill will get a focused moodlet when they cross-stitch.

Cross-stitching can also be done on rocking chairs with sim rocking while stitching.

Edit. Some more.

Cats & Dogs:

Animal enthusiasts also get those special moodlets by interacting with cats and dogs.
    This also happens with rodents in My First Pet stuff.
    Post edited by EgonVM on
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited July 2021
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I noticed that this pack is way too generous by offering local stuff from other worlds to be bought from the garden stall. I think harvestables from other unique worlds, such as Selvadorada, Sixam and Sulani (misc roots) should be unique for those worlds. Now that my sims can buy the stuff at their square, there is less reason to travel to those other worlds. I'd like some harvestables to still be a bit tricky to get, like the jungle berries. Okay, so the stall sells only 1 or 2 items, but my sim would never need more than 1 per day, so there will nearly always be enough at the local stall. And I can simply avoid purchasing them at the square stall, but I will still have top see them each time I browse the goods. I think EA thought let's list all harvestables from all installed packs, it will be super cross pack-ish. If this stays, I hope each exotic item could be more randomly available from the stall, not every day.

On the bright side, it's extreme cross pack functionality. And it might even be quicker for Sulani residents to travel to HoB to get their root ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited July 2021
    Nice thread, thanx!
    Ponds aren't part of CoL tho, they're basegame ;)

Adding to Seasons:
    Honey is used in an animal treat recipe (as a substitute for cowberry jam)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

RavenSpit wrote: »
    Nice thread, thanx!
    Ponds aren't part of CoL tho, they're basegame ;)

Yeah I wasn't sure whether or not to include that, but thought I might as well since some people may have questions about them anyway.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

I would hope that not being able to use pumpkins for the carving station would also be fixed; it would be a shame if not.
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I noticed that this pack is way too generous by offering local stuff from other worlds to be bought from the garden stall. I think harvestables from other unique worlds, such as Selvadorada, Sixam and Sulani (misc roots) should be unique for those worlds. Now that my sims can buy the stuff at their square, there is less reason to travel to those other worlds. I'd like some harvestables to still be a bit tricky to get, like the jungle berries. Okay, so the stall sells only 1 or 2 items, but my sim would never need more than 1 per day, so there will nearly always be enough at the local stall. And I can simply avoid purchasing them at the square stall, but I will still have top see them each time I browse the goods. I think EA thought let's list all harvestables from all installed packs, it will be super cross pack-ish. If this stays, I hope each exotic item could be more randomly available from the stall, not every day.

On the bright side, it's extreme cross pack functionality. And it might even be quicker for Sulani residents to travel to HoB to get their root ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the more exotic ingredients, but I agree that there shouldn't be tons of them every single day. I can imagine Agatha saying, "Ooooh! Look, dear, I managed to get my hands on this rare item, you should snap it up while you can!" But it should be more of a pleasant surprise to find those items, not half the inventory on any given day. Particularly the alien items.

I do like seeing the elderberries and huckleberries often, though. Elderberries in particular are very fitting.
    -If simple living is active, campfires can only be used to roast marshmallows (no other foods)

I believe also fish, if you have a fish in your inventory.
  • mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    The amount of cross-pack content from CL is both impressive and promising, and I personally love that we have a window shop interaction with community buildings - hopefully other worlds like Strangerville can be updated as well, because it makes the world more interactive and less decorative.

I was surprised though that you can't can cherries, and blackberry jam has no use in any recipe. Silly complaints, I know, but in my excitement I made all these jars of blackberry jam and have no use for them...
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Do you know if bread from Get to Work can be used as an ingredient in other Simple Living recipes, like eggs and toast etc?

I’ve just checked and yes it can.

I’ve just checked and yes it can.

Awesome! Thank you. :)
  • MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    I hate that oversized crops don't go out of season. How am I growing pumpkins in literal snow lol.

I need toggles. Toggles for plant seasonality!
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Might already have been mentioned, but just found farm animal clothes for sale on Plopsy :) That's probably quicker than knitting them or tracing the creature caretaker.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    Amapola76 wrote: »

I tried that but was still not able to roast fish
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    I am able to use sprinklers on all crops. Took a little placement fiddling for the plots but did work.

The cooler works as well but just has yogurt, cereal & granola option. I'm not sure what it usually has as I rarely use it.

I am using simple living & off the grid.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion

Yep. There's no "Roast..." option with Simple Living, just "Marshmallows". So stupid honestly, because without the challenge you can roast fish only if you have it anyway.

Yep. There's no "Roast..." option with Simple Living, just "Marshmallows". So stupid honestly, because without the challenge you can roast fish only if you have it anyway.

Hmmm, that's weird, I was able to. I wonder which way is the bug.

Hmmm, that's weird, I was able to. I wonder which way is the bug.

Oh, interesting then. I have mods, so maybe they are the case. I'll check without them.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Ohh… this was really interesting, thank you. So many great combos! Wish that we could carve our own homegrown pumpkins.