Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How have you all managed your University population?

I've finally bought University after wanting it for a while, and I want to populate the students with my own Sims. How have you guys gone about doing that? Is sticking a ton of YAs in Manage Worlds enough, or did you have to resort to mods?
aSE16f8.gif

Comments

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Personally I let the game populate it, then use MCCC to go into full edit mode CAS to make them my own. It’s time consuming, but I enjoy CAS so I don’t mind.
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Personally I let the game populate it, then use MCCC to go into full edit mode CAS to make them my own. It’s time consuming, but I enjoy CAS so I don’t mind.

Yeah that's usually what I do, but like you said, so time consuming. :|
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I leave it to the game.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    The problem I have is when my sim finished a term and started a new one the roommates have changed completely. There is no continuity.....
  • Options
    jimbbq wrote: »
    The problem I have is when my sim finished a term and started a new one the roommates have changed completely. There is no continuity.....

Oh that's annoying. Did you move into the same dorm/house as last time?
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I just went in and edited all the sims the game generated, it's the easiest way around it.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Yea the same house ... it is annoying cuz you spent time building relationship with them. And also when you graduate it is again random students not your roommates. I even had a save file where my sims had long graduated and these old roommates were still students ...
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2020

Oh that's annoying. Did you move into the same dorm/house as last time?
    Yea the same house ... it is annoying cuz you spent time building relationship with them. And also when you graduate it is again random students not your roommates. I even had a save file where my sims had long graduated and these old roommates were still students ...

That's one of my biggest pet peeves with the pack.
    Meeting new sims and working on new relationships is part of my University game play. My dorms are designed for it.
    I hate to see them move out only after one term.
    11_28_19_6_03_18_AM.png

At least they still show up when you are visiting other places.
    You can have an outing with them if they show up in the UI.
    11_25_19_2_16_58_PM.png

@HowGreatThouArt , I usually send up to 3 sims of my own to Uni in a group, but for the student body, it's Testingcheats and Cas.fulleditmode on and I edit sims as I see them since I don't have MCCC. It's a bit of a makeover frenzy because you have some odd ducks showing up in the dorm.
    11_19_19_8_20_41_AM.png

Some of the makeovers turn out stunning, compared to the original sim.
    I thought my large group of sims would end up marrying among the group, but I think most of them will meet their SO in Uni.
    11_26_19_10_56_57_PM.png

One of the reasons I edit on the fly is because the dormies will get assigned a love interest and I like editing the love interest so it's more fun to steal the dormie from them. Another is you will probably see these sims the most in the dorm.
    11_21_19_6_33_44_AM.png

This sim was one of my favorites to occupy my dorm.
    11_19_19_2_19_57_AM.png

The first group where I realized dormies will move out after one term, so it was a bit sad.
    11_20_19_7_20_43_AM.png

My sim had a wish to turn her into a spell caster,
    so I granted it.
    11_24_19_2_40_50_PM.png

11_24_19_2_42_16_PM.png

It's too bad that they move out and also that your sim can be so focused on academics that there isn't much time to have fun with the other University sims. I need to go back to my TS2 Uni play-style of Uni Survival packs and overnight cram sessions to get all academic requirements out of the way so my sims can have some fun, or just take really light academic loads.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    You can cheat the university menu to move them to the dorm one at a time if you wish. I have done similar for some households. The problem you will run into is even if you stock all the dorms to the brim, they will graduate at different rates and be replaced by the game. The turnover of roommates got fairly ridiculous towards the end in my opinion, and when I finally was done I realized all of my premades I left in university were forced out through graduation, too.

As someone that does not like things moving out from under my watch, it was too close to story progression for my taste for them to advance without me.

There might be mods to add in your Sims, but that is going to have to be a lot of designed Sims.
  • Options
    @CK213 @Calico45 Looks like it will be wasted effort modifying a bunch of students just to have them leave, so I guess I'll just focus on a few that I like and ignore the rest. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I still haven't done much with this pack, because I like to do rotational play with Sims who live in their own houses.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited November 2020
    I've finally bought University after wanting it for a while, and I want to populate the students with my own Sims. How have you guys gone about doing that? Is sticking a ton of YAs in Manage Worlds enough, or did you have to resort to mods?

Have you tried to enroll some of your Manage Worlds Sims in University? If you use 'testingcheats on' and shift click on these Sims, you can enroll them in Uni. Maybe the game will prefer townies that are already students over newly generated ones? You can probably enhance the chance of running into your pre-made students by adding the 'student hangout' to lot traits in Britechester or other worlds.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

Is this happening with rotational play? I play rotationally but sent a sim to university, moved them into the house on campus and stayed with them for the whole process. They had the exact same roommates the entire time.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have a question...

If you move a sim onto campus, spend a week at university but then decide not to re-enrol, do you have to then buy them a new home?
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm not sure if this would work in dorms that generate roommates to fill the beds but wouldn't it be possible to find the roommate your sims knows and ask them to be your roommate again, as long as there are beds available in the housing? Or maybe, while in the dorm, to quickly delete a generated dormmate and ask the sim you want, and who is currently enrolled, to be your dormmate.

Can't say I'll be testing to see if this works anytime soon.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I have a question...

If you move a sim onto campus, spend a week at university but then decide not to re-enrol, do you have to then buy them a new home?

No but you'll be prompted to move out. Then you must chose a new living arrangement in the world.

Move in with preexisting sims, move onto an empty lot, move into an apartment. You get the picture. You can't stay in the housing/dorm unless you re-enroll when immediately asked.

(I get around this though for the sake of my rotational file. :smile:)
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I don't even try to manage the NPC Sims at Uni. I have managed to have up to six of my own Sims in the same dorm. I had to have them apply to Uni, get scholarships and then I used the mailbox Uni cheat to put them into the dorm, one at a time. One game save, I even decided to put their triplet neighbors into a different dorm, because I made the sad mistake of putting two other Sims in the same dorm as my four sibling Sims, but that meant I had to control them, too, else they would have likely flunked out. But, by putting the triplets into the dorm behind Wyvern, the girls were there and the Cantrell brothers were there, too and, well, the Golden girls each married a Cantrell brother. (I left my own script aside this go-around.) Yes, the triplets never finished their schooling but hey, some Sims aren't cut out for that life. They are all happily married, now with children, except the one trip. Her hubby is just now a Chief Resident and finally drawing a paycheck. So, they've opted to wait on their family.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    They change every term so it's not worth spending time on it. My sims just kill every dorm mate til ones spawn that I can stand the look of AND that don't have the most annoying dorm mate assigned traits. My dorms have lots of urns :/
  • Options

Have you tried to enroll some of your Manage Worlds Sims in University? If you use 'testingcheats on' and shift click on these Sims, you can enroll them in Uni. Maybe the game will prefer townies that are already students over newly generated ones? You can probably enhance the chance of running into your pre-made students by adding the 'student hangout' to lot traits in Britechester or other worlds.

I might try that, at least on a few of them.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Thank you!

This might be a good way of keeping a few interesting students around :)
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Dormmates changing every term is annoying but for me I can deal with it since I hated how in ts3 the dormmates/NPCs never changed and if they did it was because one of them randomly died so the game had to make a new one to replace them.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited January 2021
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    Dormmates changing every term is annoying but for me I can deal with it since I hated how in ts3 the dormmates/NPCs never changed and if they did it was because one of them randomly died so the game had to make a new one to replace them.

It's kind of turned into a blessing in disguise for me, thanks to Get Together clubs.
    I have been making-over the spawned dormies into sims that I really like. I create clubs specifically for them so all of them and my sims can hang out at my madeover student commons, which has more things to do.
    11-21-20_1-54-05_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

11_22_20_4_37_51_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And since I am rotating between my sims in groups of three, I am getting more cool dormies that I can set up in another club.
    12-24-20_6-31-10_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So what ends up happening is all the cool dormies I have created during the different terms can be found whenever I visit the students commons. It's set as a club hangout. So now they don't disappear from the campus scene and I can always easily call them up wherever my sims are.

My favorite dormies are going to become townies with homes, since my sims have a history with them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds